• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Days of Future Past Can The Dreaded Inconsistency Can Be Explained?

Can The Dreaded Inconsistency Can Be Explained?

In short? No. Don't think about it too hard or you'll write pages of convoluted, story bending soap operatic devices to make it work. No one should want to do that.

I think its obvious that a number of people a particular issue with X3 and Wolverine and it's not because of the lack of continuity or quality of these films.

Seriously?

You'd have to ignore all of the previous four movies to keep things consistent, not just X3 and Wolverine.

Seriously?

You'd have to ignore all of the previous four movies to keep things consistent, not just X3 and Wolverine.

Well, the mainstream audience will get enough nods and mentions to tie it in.

For instance, my showbiz writer at work thought the Wolverine film tied in precisely with X2. She didn't remember the adamantium chamber and procedure looking different, she wasn't asking why the X-ray in X1 didn't show a bullet hole through the head.

Those hardcore fans who remember every line of dialogue, every reference or implied bit of information, and who get out their calculators to work everything out on a spreadsheet, are going to have a tough time with continuity.

I can't believe none of you have noticed the one of the biggest continuity errors that this film leaves us with. And it has absolutely nothing to do with X3 or Origins, but Singer's own films. An inconsistency that leaves an entire gaping plot hole in X2 and completely unravels the entire movie!

In X2, Magneto says he helped Charles built cerebro. It is what the entire film hinges on, Striker torturing Magneto to get information about cerebro, where it is located, and how it works. With that information, Striker infiltrates the X-mansion, steals cerebro, and uses that as the plot of the film to destroy all the mutants. In fact, Magneto's vast knowledge of cerebro even allows Striker to create blueprints of it to make his own before he even steals the real one.

In this movie cerebro is only a prototype and Magneto had absolutely nothing to do with how it is made. He doesn't know the inner workings of it at all, let alone to allow a mastermind to craft elaborate blueprints of his own cerebro 35 years later. And even if someone wants to create a trumped up version of how Magneto would know how it works, that was only the prototype and it looks nothing like the cerebro in the X-Mansion, whose location Magneto would also know absolutely nothing about.

Only way to retcon that would be to make a sequel in which Magneto and Charles becomes friends again and they spend a long time together building a beta version of cerebro that they place in the x-mansion...like that's going to happen. Magneto did not create cerebro with Charles as he says in X2.

Last edited:
Only way to retcon that would be to make a sequel in which Magneto and Charles becomes friends again and they spend a long time together building a beta version of cerebro that they place in the x-mansion...like that's going to happen..

Vaughn has already said in interviews that the split between Xavier and Magneto is not necessarily permanent.

In the comics it wasn't - Magneto even led the X-Men at one point. For the future stories to be interesting, it can't just be black and white. Magneto and the X-Men worked together in X2, for instance, because they needed to do so, and I could see something like that happening again if, for instance, Magneto needs Charles help to locate mutants.

It's that sort of interesting dynamic and unpredictability that makes for good stories.

I think there's one blaring inconsitency in the film that I don't know if everyone noticed in the film. [BLACKOUT]When Mystique transforms into Shaw at the end, she is wearing the helmet. She wouldn't have known about the helmet or what it even looks like.[/BLACKOUT]

I thought that too Speedball, but in hindsight, I realized that she saw Shaw with the helmet when he attacked the CIA base.

I thought that too Speedball, but in hindsight, I realized that she saw Shaw with the helmet when he attacked the CIA base.

Whoa... you're totally right! That didn't even occur to me.:up::yay:

magneto not inventing cerebro was a bad one but I just put that down to hank making a crude version and prof. X and magneto inventing a far superior version later down the line. who is to say magneto's slipt with the x-men is permanent as this stage? the way eric is holding the crippled charles suggests there is still a strong friendship there.

In X-Men and X2 It was said Magneto helped build Cerebro not help design It.A way out
Is offscreen Magneto helped Xavier build place at mansion for It.

I can imagine Magneto wanting to work with Xavier to create a new Cerebro in the style of the one destroyed in this film just for the sake of finding more mutants, even if it's just so he can lure them away from Xavier later.

I can't believe none of you have noticed the one of the biggest continuity errors that this film leaves us with. And it has absolutely nothing to do with X3 or Origins, but Singer's own films. An inconsistency that leaves an entire gaping plot hole in X2 and completely unravels the entire movie!

In X2, Magneto says he helped Charles built cerebro. It is what the entire film hinges on, Striker torturing Magneto to get information about cerebro, where it is located, and how it works. With that information, Striker infiltrates the X-mansion, steals cerebro, and uses that as the plot of the film to destroy all the mutants. In fact, Magneto's vast knowledge of cerebro even allows Striker to create blueprints of it to make his own before he even steals the real one.

In this movie cerebro is only a prototype and Magneto had absolutely nothing to do with how it is made. He doesn't know the inner workings of it at all, let alone to allow a mastermind to craft elaborate blueprints of his own cerebro 35 years later. And even if someone wants to create a trumped up version of how Magneto would know how it works, that was only the prototype and it looks nothing like the cerebro in the X-Mansion, whose location Magneto would also know absolutely nothing about.

Only way to retcon that would be to make a sequel in which Magneto and Charles becomes friends again and they spend a long time together building a beta version of cerebro that they place in the x-mansion...like that's going to happen. Magneto did not create cerebro with Charles as he says in X2.

That is one HUGE thing that annoyed me when I watched the movie. However, I am assuming that if this trilogy works out, Xavier and Magneto are not going to be enemies wanting to kill each other. They are merely two men who disagree when all things are said and done. Even in the original trilogy, they don't hate each other. They just have differing opinions. And we all know that Magneto is not going to be the main villain in both supposed sequels. With that said, Magneto will help Xavier build Cerebro in the X-Mansion eventually. The only difference is that now we know of McCoy's involvement.

magneto not inventing cerebro was a bad one but I just put that down to hank making a crude version and prof. X and magneto inventing a far superior version later down the line. who is to say magneto's slipt with the x-men is permanent as this stage? the way eric is holding the crippled charles suggests there is still a strong friendship there.

I agree. Magneto isn't simply going to be like "From this day forward, f*** you Charles." Even in the original trilogy, you can see that they are still great friends. Just fighting on the opposite sides.

OK so how do a sixty-year-old WALLKING Xavier and Magneto, who are enemies by 40, according to this film, able to meet Jean and create a school? There are manyh inconsistencies that are impossible to explain without using terms like "MAGIC" and "CLONING." I'm OK with them

Simple Ignore X-Men The Last Stand and X-Men Origins:Wolverine.That does away with
the biggest contunity problems.Yes libirites are taken to what was said in some dialogue
In X-Men and X2 but all Is nothing compared to having a walking Xavier and Magneto recruiting students for school and meeting Jean at beging of Last Stand and Xavier walking at end of Wolverine when he meets Cyclops.

Simple Ignore X-Men The Last Stand and X-Men Origins:Wolverine.That does away with
the biggest contunity problems.Yes libirites are taken to what was said in some dialogue
In X-Men and X2 but all Is nothing compared to having a walking Xavier and Magneto recruiting students for school and meeting Jean at beging of Last Stand and Xavier walking at end of Wolverine when he meets Cyclops.

What was said in X1 and X2 and should have been covered in First Class but were not, so they are just as big continuity errors as in X3 and Wolverine.

Who cares? We got an amazing film that the mainstream will see (and non-geek friends confirm this) as a prequel, even if it defies some later elements (which could still be corrected in later movies).

All this flailing about is pointless. There are better uses of time and energy...

Sorry but Last Stand and Wolverine are far more problems.

According to some people's logic here, the average (dumb) movie go'er isnt or hasn't noticed the inconsistencies with X3 or Wovlerine, therefore they are just as valid as X1 and X2 using the same logic.

If they want to still consider The Last Stand as part of the series(which Is probametic if X4 gets made)with First Class and X-men/X2(there are several connections to X-Men/X2 In first class and as i say reboots don't connect to films they are now saying never happened)there a possable recon Is Xavier In Wheelchair In third film goes to Jean's house alone after her powers mannefest.At some point Magneto becomes aware of her power goes to see her wanting to recruit her leading to confrontation between him and Xavier.Thus Ignoring the opening scene and Issues with Beast's appearance and the age and accent of Moira you could with a recon In a sequel then make it so X-Men First Class,and Last Stand could be both seen in Same series.

in regards to Cerebro, i'm sure that in First Class sequels they will have actually Charles and Magneto building an updated version of Cerebro. the one in this film was just a prototype created by Hank. Professor X and Magneto may have their differences, but they were always friends and had admiration & respect for one another. i'm guessing in the sequels there will be a common enemy that leads to Charles and Magneto working together once again - kind of like in X2 - which would probably lead to them building a new Cerebro.

I think there are practical purposes for Magneto helping Xavier build Cerebro. Magneto is going to want to reach out to new recruits and he has no way to do that on his own. He might want to know the schematics on how to create Cerebro so he can make his own and use Emma as the telepath to use it. Xavier could be naive to Erik's intentions because he wants to trust him and be friends again. Magneto using Xavier in that way would also move their relationship more to how it was in X1 and X2 with Magneto beginning to care more about his goals then his friendship with Xavier. Maybe they establish that Emma wasn't powerful enough to handle it or simply establish that Magneto has no way to use it anymore after Emma leaves the Brotherhood in time for X1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"