Days of Future Past Days of Future Past: Fixes to Continuity

* Singer's statements about not ignoring the events of previous films and about this film showing how certain characters the people we know from previous films

and he isn't X1,X2,X3, the wolverine still link up to DOFP, technically as a prequel, he hasn't ignored X3 and had cyclops and jean involved

* Kinberg's statements about the film showing how certain characters became who they are in the other movies, about when X-Men Apocalypse will take place, and about how this film will lead to things that happen in Apocalypse

truth is that this is X-Men they have to go that direction anyway, and the OT characters were them characters already, they can still become them characters in apocalypse doesn't mean everything has to link up

* The film going out of its way to establish concrete links to/fixes for things from previous films that fans consider to be inconsistencies (Xavier walking in OW and the flashback in TLS and Hank appearing in human form in a cameo in X2)

is that the case though? say if xavier goes back in the chair by the end of DOFP? and isn't walking in the 80s? does that still count?

* Statements from Lauren Shuler Donner about things she wants to see them do with the franchise in the future

donner has said alot of things, mystique solo spin off with lawrence

* The fact that they have greenlit a sequel to the furthest-set complete film in the timeline, The Wolverine

sequel in new timeline? i fail to see how or why this has to keep the other films in continuity for that work

* Statements that have been made about the in-development X-Force

not related to this film

* Statements from Patrick Stewart, Lauren Shuler Donner, Bryan Singer, Simon Kinberg, and others about possible future appearances from the OT cast members

set in new timeline? i fail to see how or why this has to keep the other films in continuity for that work

The possible appearance of Gambit and Nightcrawler in X-Men Apocalypse, set in the 1980s, suggests that the altered past setting of DoFP will not lead into the original trilogy.

Wolverine goes back to the past, and immediately there will be a change to the way things happen because of the influence he has on events. Magneto is broken out of prison earlier, for a start. The Sentinel program is stopped.

The original timeline is fixed (so that Sentinels never target mutants in the future) and probably also otherwise altered in some ways, such as Jean and Scott not dying in X3.

At the point of Wolverine's departure back to the future, the past from 1973 onwards would be unknown to the viewer, undocumented in any movie so far. That gives scope for Xavier not to put blocks on Jean's power (if Wolverine warns him not to do so), and for him to recruit Gambit and Nightcrawler as X-Men (neither of which happened in the original trilogy).

At comic con a guy stood up and asked singer if it was true he would be erasing X3, the guy didn't sound to happy about that idea, bryan singer replied there will be some of that because it's the nature of time travel

That may be true, but things he and others have said since indicate something much different.

See if wolverine went back in time and didn't tell xavier he was a time traveler, didn't tell him that he knew him and still tried to help xavier break out of his depression... i'd probably believe xavier would go through life naive like in the OT, but logan telling everyone hey i am from the future i know all you guys and i will happily tell you what you want to know, hey xavier wanna talk to your future self?!!

either way this is X-Men, it wouldn't be X-Men is xavier doesn't create the X-Men, it wouldn't be X-Men without cyclops,jean, and storm so these things while they don't HAVE to happen its the right thingthat they do happen, but to how far wolverines interfering will change things we will have to see, i mean they could take some liberties and say naah it didn't change much at all... but it would bring up a dozen questions but there ya go

Last edited:
The way I see it, Origins, X1, X2, and X3 are all part of the original timeline.

FC, and the events in the past of DOFP will be a different timeline. It will be the only way for everything to make sense, otherwise we'll have to just ignore the continuity issues, which are pretty obvious.

The serum makes it so Xavier can walk again, but takes away his powers. Either he's in the chair with his powers, or walking without them. This has been established. We see in Origins and X3 that Xavier can walk AND use his powers. So, for the OT to tie in to DOFP, Xavier would have to have a serum that allows him to walk and use his powers and somehow he ends up re-paralyzed (which is a major stretch, even for a comic book movie). Unless he just stops taking the serum for whatever reason. It still would be stupid though. Also, Xavier says in X1 that he met Magneto at 17. In FC, we know they were much older when they met. It's easier for me to reconcile this whole cluster mess if FC, DOFP, and X-Men: Apocalypse are part of a different timeline than original trilogy and Origins.

Last edited:
Sorry what? The timeline is going to be altered. It's not leading back into the OT. That's the entire point of this movie. There likely won't be a "split" timeline because that makes no sense. But altered, absolutely. Wolverine is changing things.

This. Case closed.

The possible appearance of Gambit and Nightcrawler in X-Men Apocalypse, set in the 1980s, suggests that the altered past setting of DoFP will not lead into the original trilogy.

Wolverine goes back to the past, and immediately there will be a change to the way things happen because of the influence he has on events. Magneto is broken out of prison earlier, for a start. The Sentinel program is stopped.

The original timeline is fixed (so that Sentinels never target mutants in the future) and probably also otherwise altered in some ways, such as Jean and Scott not dying in X3.

At the point of Wolverine's departure back to the future, the past from 1973 onwards would be unknown to the viewer, undocumented in any movie so far. That gives scope for Xavier not to put blocks on Jean's power (if Wolverine warns him not to do so), and for him to recruit Gambit and Nightcrawler as X-Men (neither of which happened in the original trilogy).

This. Case closed.

This. Case closed.

This. Case closed.

But what about the whole thing about being an "observer"? Once wolverine goes back in time, nothing has changed, and won't change until he's back in his future body. Its all a hypothetical past, until Wolvie returns to the future to lock it in. He could technically do anything he wants, and if he gets trapped in the past (via kitty death or something), that causes a different timeline right? Thats why the future X-men go out of their way to keep kittys powers alive with rogue etc, and its a whole race against the clock thing... or else things would change right in front of their faces.

I think we all know he DOES come back to the future to lock events in though, so i guess thats what everyone is assuming when talking about this?

Im just saying that "Wolverine goes back to the past, and immediately there will be a change to the way things happen because of the influence he has on events" is wrong, because he has to return for them to change for the MAIN timeline. Right?

I don't know what was discussed, I always ask this question and then bail from these threads so I never see an answer from anyone haha. Sorry if i sound like an idiot, but the last I heard was that Logan was just an "observer" in the past.

^ :facepalm:

It's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

SINGER AND CO. ARE NOT CREATING AN ALTERNATE OR SPLIT TIMELINE. They've made this pretty clear, yet people keep insisting the opposite.

You don't go out of your way to establish ties to/fixes for things that you're planning on writing out of continuity. It's a waste of time.

Finally, somebody who understands. It is a mutable timeline, some things will change, and whilst the Original Timeline will end, it will be overwritten by a replacing New Timeline. While it is a new universe, yes, it is not existing alongside the old one, but rather replacing it.

Im just saying that "Wolverine goes back to the past, and immediately there will be a change to the way things happen because of the influence he has on events" is wrong, because he has to return for them to change for the MAIN timeline. Right?
Exactly. Singer established these rules. He must come back in order to "trigger" the definitive change he himself "inprinted" in 1973 by acting, reacting, warning characters, stopping or altering major events.

Finally, somebody who understands. It is a mutable timeline, some things will change, and whilst the Original Timeline will end, it will be overwritten by a replacing New Timeline. While it is a new universe, yes, it is not existing alongside the old one, but rather replacing it.

It's not a new universe. It's just one universe being overwritten by time travelling. Technically speaking, it's one. It will be "new" in the way its past/present/future have been changed and are "fresh" and "new" to us viewers.

X-Men TIMELINE Iteration 2:

X-Men Origins 1832-1973
The Wolverine 1945
First Class 1962
Days of Future Past 1973

Last edited:

I agree with, and hope everything plays out like this. My only worry is that they will connect the fixed future to the post 1973/Apocalypse timeline. Therefore taking all the suspense out of XM:A.

But what about the whole thing about being an "observer"? Once wolverine goes back in time, nothing has changed, and won't change until he's back in his future body. Its all a hypothetical past, until Wolvie returns to the future to lock it in. He could technically do anything he wants, and if he gets trapped in the past (via kitty death or something), that causes a different timeline right? Thats why the future X-men go out of their way to keep kittys powers alive with rogue etc, and its a whole race against the clock thing... or else things would change right in front of their faces.

I think we all know he DOES come back to the future to lock events in though, so i guess thats what everyone is assuming when talking about this?

I don't know what was discussed, I always ask this question and then bail from these threads so I never see an answer from anyone haha. Sorry if i sound like an idiot, but the last I heard was that Logan was just an "observer" in the past.

Yes...and that's why I then said "At the point of Wolverine's departure back to the future, the past from 1973 onwards would be unknown to the viewer". That means the changes Wolverine makes in the past don't take effect until Wolverine wakes up again in the future and sees that he has been successful in changing history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"