Days of Future Past Can The Dreaded Inconsistency Can Be Explained?

Lauren Shuler Donner has flat-out stated that the Deadpool film will not acknowledge or reference Origins: Wolverine at all and will be a straight-up reboot, and all indicators are that the story of FC also ignores O:W and TLS by blatantly contradicting them.

We also know that The Wolverine is a 'one-off' film that does not reference O:W either, which indicates to me that, for all intents and purposes, O:W and TLS are or will shortly be rendered apocryphal as far as the official X-Men filmic continuity is concerned.

Lauren Shuler Donner has flat-out stated that the Deadpool film will not acknowledge or reference Origins: Wolverine at all and will be a straight-up reboot, and all indicators are that the story of FC also ignores O:W and TLS by blatantly contradicting them.

We also know that The Wolverine is a 'one-off' film that does not reference O:W either, which indicates to me that, for all intents and purposes, O:W and TLS are or will shortly be rendered apocryphal as far as the official X-Men filmic continuity is concerned.

Makes sense. For all intents and purposes that wasn't really Deadpool anyway

1. Prof. X walking in X3
how many times has charles lost and regained the use of his legs in the comics? once? twice? charles may lose the use of his legs in the 60's regain the use of his legs in the 80's (when he recruits jean) and then less the use of his legs again. it's not beyond the realms of possiblility that one of the mutants charles has recruited over 40 years is a healer.

2. charles says magneto helped him build cerebro
hank clearly invents THIS cerebro (1.0) but who is to say charles and magento didn't invent THE cerebro as seen in X1 and X2?

3. mystique tries to take out charles in X1
we are talking 40 years gap between when mystique is living with charles to X1, who is to say the rift between charles and raven doesn't get worse over the years, besides her loyalty would be to magneto now rather than charles.

the one where 'I got nothing' is when charles says he meet magneto at 17...no explaining that one away.

It does not "blatantly contradict" X3. Stop saying that, because you know it's not true. If it's being friends with Magneto in the 80s, keep in mind that Magneto still hasn't helped Charles rebuild Cerebro so clearly their relationship goes back and forth over the ensuing decades. If it's Xavier walking, he can project an image of himself walking into people's minds, or he could have been experimenting with a cure for his paralysis. You can't prove that neither happened which means you can't prove that X3 has been retconned, or even have strong evidence. The characterizations of Mystique and Beast tie in directly with First Class so you can't really use that as ammunition to shoot down X3, either.

Wolverine looks more and more like it is probably getting the boot from continuity, but that is only one film, not half of the series. There is strong evidence that Wolverine is apocryphal because even before First Class, continuity problems ran amok through that film. With First Class rebooting Emma Frost's character and the upcoming Deadpool movie rebooting Wade Wilson, it looks pretty apparent that Wolverine is the bastard child of the series, but you have no proof that X3 has been retconned out other than your own hopes and dreams.

It does not "blatantly contradict" X3. Stop saying that, because you know it's not true. If it's being friends with Magneto in the 80s, keep in mind that Magneto still hasn't helped Charles rebuild Cerebro so clearly their relationship goes back and forth over the ensuing decades. If it's Xavier walking, he can project an image of himself walking into people's minds, or he could have been experimenting with a cure for his paralysis. You can't prove that neither happened which means you can't prove that X3 has been retconned, or even have strong evidence. The characterizations of Mystique and Beast tie in directly with First Class so you can't really use that as ammunition to shoot down X3, either.

Wolverine looks more and more like it is probably getting the boot from continuity, but that is only one film, not half of the series. There is strong evidence that Wolverine is apocryphal because even before First Class, continuity problems ran amok through that film. With First Class rebooting Emma Frost's character and the upcoming Deadpool movie rebooting Wade Wilson, it looks pretty apparent that Wolverine is the bastard child of the series, but you have no proof that X3 has been retconned out other than your own hopes and dreams.

I agree that First Class is clearly not a reboot in any way, shape or form for the series, and is not tossing aside X-Men: The Last Stand continuity. As far as X-Men Origins: Wolverine, I don't see that being tosses aside either. The same "contradiction" of X-Men: The Last Stand is the same as the contradiction in X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Xavier can walk.

As far as Emma Frost goes, well Emma is *never* referred to as Emma Frost in that movie. Only promo materials called her Emma Frost. Not the film itself. It can be seen in much the same way that the film's version of Victor Creed is not the same character as X-Men's Sabretooth.

And I feel you're 100% right about Beast and Mystique. Beast's character arc matches up way too perfectly in X-Men: First Class and X-Men: The Last Stand, and Mystique being as youthful as she is after being cured is explained pretty well in X-Men: First Class when Hank talks about her genetic makeup.

Until a sequel to First Class comes out and establishes otherwise in official continuity, this is how I'm treating the timeframe between X-Men: First Class and the rest of the films:

-> X-Men: First Class to X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Havok learns about the disappearance of his brother, and upon informing Xavier, Xavier uses Cerebro to track Scott down. Xavier being able to walk, I accept as an inconsistency that isn't a significant alteration in the narrative.

-> X-Men: First Class to X-Men: Xavier and Magneto are not "enemies" at the end of First Class, merely a difference in ideology forces them to split and seek their own methods of achieving their goals. Magneto considers Xavier a friend, and still keeps a relationship with him, and even aids him in building a new version of Cerebro. With new mutants now at the school (Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey...) Beast decides that he now wants to fight for mutant rights in a new way, and enters the political realm.

-> X-Men: First Class to X2: Beast's cameo appearance is representative of Beast's venture into the political world. Beast being in human form, I accept as an inconsistency, no worse than re-casting of Kitty Pryde 3 times, or Pyro twice, or Storm's disappearing accent. The cameo is of no significance to the narrative.

-> X-Men: First Class to X-Men: The Last Stand: Xavier learns about the existence of Jean Grey, the most powerful mutant he's ever encountered. The discovery of Jean Grey is a moment that brings Magneto and Xavier together, and they go together to recruit her, but the eventual treatment of Jean Grey at the hands of Xavier are the final falling out between Xavier and Magneto. Magneto goes his way, Xavier goes his, and the events of the trilogy occur. Xavier's ability to walk I accept as an inconsistency that doesn't have a significant impact on the narrative. Beast is a direct continuation of the version from X-Men: First Class, Mystique's youthful appearance is addressed.

That is my take, until another film comes out that establishes otherwise. The inconsistencies caused by X-Men: First Class with the other movies are of no significance towards the narrative, and the gaps between events can easily be filled in.

I've accepted the explanations you suggested in the other continuity-related thread, and think the timeline works out fairly seamlessly if you accept that those ideas and accept that FC retcons what Xavier tells Wolverine about his and Erik's first meeting.

Scott and Storm both apparently appear in cameo roles in FC, so I'm wondering if that matches up with their ages in Origins: Wolverine.

One last thing: Alex and Scott ARE related in the filmic X-verse, but they aren't brothers.

The inconsistencies explained by a comic book fan : open your X-Men bible and start nitpicking

The inconsistencies explained by an average viewer : which inconsistency ???

PS : humour.

The inconsistencies explained by a comic book fan : open your X-Men bible and start nitpicking

The inconsistencies explained by an average viewer : which inconsistency ???

PS : humour.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

-> X-Men: First Class to X2: Beast's cameo appearance is representative of Beast's venture into the political world. Beast being in human form, I accept as an inconsistency, no worse than re-casting of Kitty Pryde 3 times, or Pyro twice, or Storm's disappearing accent. The cameo is of no significance to the narrative.

Plus, Beast always ping ponged a few times with being human and animal looking. Something may have happened to him at some point, to give him his human appearance for a time.

Then again it's doubtful that a 5 second cameo will be addressed. So it's easier to just go with the flow.

I've accepted the explanations you suggested in the other continuity-related thread, and think the timeline works out fairly seamlessly if you accept that those ideas and accept that FC retcons what Xavier tells Wolverine about his and Erik's first meeting.

Scott and Storm both apparently appear in cameo roles in FC, so I'm wondering if that matches up with their ages in Origins: Wolverine.

One last thing: Alex and Scott ARE related in the filmic X-verse, but they aren't brothers.

Do we have confirmation on this?

Because if it's just the age, that can *easily* be addressed.

The movie takes place in '63, I believe? And what is Havok? In his late teens? Perhaps a tad older than Scott in X-Men Origins: Wolverine which is the '70's?

So that would be an age gap of roughly 10 years, give or take a couple.

It's certainly believable. I am 10 years apart from my brother. My best friend is 10 years apart from his brother. And I know a lot of people who have an even larger gap in age from their siblings. I can totally accept that age difference between Havok and Cyclops, especially considering ages and timelines in these movies have never been strict.

Do we have confirmation on this?

Because if it's just the age, that can *easily* be addressed.

The movie takes place in '63, I believe? And what is Havok? In his late teens? Perhaps a tad older than Scott in X-Men Origins: Wolverine which is the '70's?

So that would be an age gap of roughly 10 years, give or take a couple.

It's certainly believable. I am 10 years apart from my brother. My best friend is 10 years apart from his brother. And I know a lot of people who have an even larger gap in age from their siblings. I can totally accept that age difference between Havok and Cyclops, especially considering ages and timelines in these movies have never been strict.

Yes, we have confirmation of this, straight from the mouth of Bryan Singer. He unequivocally stated that Alex and Scott wouldn't be brothers, but did confirm that they would find some other way to link them and explain their common surname, although he didn't say exactly how they were going to do so.

As an aside, I thought of a way to address the 'duplicate Emma' from Origins: Wolverine: give her the surname Silverfox, since, after all, she's Kayla Silverfox's sister in that movie; that would make her a separate character with similar powers to Emma Frost from First Class.

Yes, we have confirmation of this, straight from the mouth of Bryan Singer. He unequivocally stated that Alex and Scott wouldn't be brothers, but did confirm that they would find some other way to link them and explain their common surname, although he didn't say exactly how they were going to do so.

As an aside, I thought of a way to address the 'duplicate Emma' from Origins: Wolverine: give her the surname Silverfox, since, after all, she's Kayla Silverfox's sister in that movie; that would make her a separate character with similar powers to Emma Frost from First Class.

Okay I didn't realize that Singer had already addressed that officially. Don't know yet how I feel about that. I guess well see, should there be a sequel.

As far as Emma's appearance in 2 films being inconsistent, its easy for me. She was never addressed by name in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. She was a nameless cameo. I simply accept her as being a random mutant that isn't Emma Frost, even if that's who she was intended to be. Its not nearly enough of an inconsistency to consider Wolverine to have been tossed out of continuity.

The official Site lists havok as Cyclops' brother.If there Is a sequel to first Class,and that Is still an If,boy Cyclops and Girl Storm appeared on screen exactly as long as
Human Beast on TV In X2.They may have been nothing more than Easter eggs for fans.

While Last Stand could be viewed with First Class If you flashforward through the
Xavier and Magneto at Jean's house at beging Wolverine Is far more problematic.Deadpool Is Ignoring Wolverine,and If made IS being called X-Men Origins;Deadpool.They certainly want It to be viewed as part of X-men frachise.

If they want to take Boy Cyclops and Girl Storm briefly seen In First Class as 100 percent them It would be best to Introduce them In a mid 1970's.Wolverine take place In late 1970's or later.

No explanation. It is whatever the writers feel fits the story. There you have it.

The official Site lists havok as Cyclops' brother.If there Is a sequel to first Class,and that Is still an If,boy Cyclops and Girl Storm appeared on screen exactly as long as
Human Beast on TV In X2.They may have been nothing more than Easter eggs for fans.

While Last Stand could be viewed with First Class If you flashforward through the
Xavier and Magneto at Jean's house at beging Wolverine Is far more problematic.Deadpool Is Ignoring Wolverine,and If made IS being called X-Men Origins;Deadpool.They certainly want It to be viewed as part of X-men frachise.

If they want to take Boy Cyclops and Girl Storm briefly seen In First Class as 100 percent them It would be best to Introduce them In a mid 1970's.Wolverine take place In late 1970's or later.

Im not too concerned with Deadpool anyways. I've never considered Deadpool to be directly a part of the X-Men universe anyways.

as far as Cyclops goes, well see what happens if there is even a sequel. If there is, then how they introduce Cyclops can get sticky. They could completely ignore Wolverine and introduce Cyclops in a specific fashion that contradicts the movie. They could include it and bring Cyclops in directly from Stryker's base. They could be ambiguous and just have Cyclops show up without explaining where he came from, alas allowing us to include the events of Wolverine in our own mind.

Honestly, if im making a sequel to First Class, that's how im doing it. Xavier is recruiting for his school. He uses Cerebro to track down mutants. Havok lets Xavier know about his brother. Xavier tracks down Cyclops with Cerebro. Shot of Xavier's new students altogether. Perhaps Scott is the only one who steps up into an X-Men role, with the talk of introducing only one new character. Other characters are used as cameos and become students at the school. It allows Wolverine to be seen in continuity, but doesn't convolute the movie by going out of its way to waste time via exploring story elements already done in other movies.

Someone in another thread though talked about not wanting a sequel, because as it stands the movie fits so perfectly with the existing movies. I agree 100%. The ties to the other movies are so well done, the quality of the movie is so great... I think id rather see the franchise end on a high note. Like people saying the Simpsons should have ended a long time ago before it over extended itself... That's how I feel about these movies. Its a complete story, I like how the current series works with each other, I dont want the series to start getting convoluted with films that over extend it.

Honestly with singer coming back on board as a producer I kind of feel he re-took his authority over the franchise. So i do somewhat feel that there was probably little to no considerations taken to match up to the films he had no part of i.e X3, WO.

The fact that FC started with the continuation of the 1st scene in X-Men kind of to me shows that this films is closely connected to mainly singer's vision alone.

Honestly with singer coming back on board as a producer I kind of feel he re-took his authority over the franchise. So i do somewhat feel that there was probably little to no considerations taken to match up to the films he had no part of i.e X3, WO.

The fact that FC started with the continuation of the 1st scene in X-Men kind of to me shows that this films is closely connected to mainly singer's vision alone.

True, but if that's the case there are still errors and inconsistencies with his own films. Just face it. They do what they want so that a film is produced and made. Wouldn't be surprised if Xavier is up fox trotting in the sequel just to fit the story.

I think fans tend to forget the only moviegoers who honestly care about continuity are the ones found here. They included Cyclops and Storm already in First Class and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they do silently overwrite the old films, they already did and the fact that we're even having these conversations is proof of this. X-Men and X2 seem to have little or nothing to do with the plot of First Class other than provide a very loose framework. I think honestly people are too hung up on the timeframe, and Singer confirmed nothing about Cyclops and Havok not being brothers except to suggest maybe the time made it fuzzy. Yet he went right ahead and included a teenaged Scott right in the film. They didn't choose the timeframe because it made sense, they choose it because that was the story they wanted to tell.

the supposed, teenage Scott, cameo is mostly speculation... an even if it was suppose to be him, it was just thrown in as a nod...

sorry, but, a 2 second cameo, that is barely noticeable (other then fans looking for it) is hardly them throwing continues, completely out the window

yes, they said from the start that they were taking liberations with what elements from the previous films to used... an I'm fine with that, as long as its within reason... little inconsistencies here are there, is one thing...there are plenty of inconsistencies within the original movies (both between each movie, and within each movie themselves) you can usually find them in almost any movie

but, keep it within reason...

the supposed, teenage Scott, cameo is mostly speculation... an even if it was suppose to be him, it was just thrown in as a nod...
No, it was there:huh:, it's not a mass hallucination. See you're doing the same thing: picking a choosing which elements you think matter. It may have been a "2 second cameo" but it happened. It's not 'just a nod', it's part of the film, just like Emma was part of First Class and Wolverine. The only people who want LOTR air-tight continuity are fanboys. Matthew Vaughn is directing these films and ultimately he'll decide which elements he keeps and which ones he doesn't. I think the reason these films seem like a soft reboot/prequel is because it's a lot safer to capitalize on fans of films that exist rather than try to start from scratch. They'd already rumored and talked about doing more films with Cyclops, Storm and Jean...I wouldn't put it past them to reintroduce those characters. There is also enough ambiguity about when and how Cyclops, Storm and Jean became students. I think of these films two ways. Either you assume X-Men 1 and 2 happened much earlier than we were led to believe, or that they just don't care about continuity. "Logan" was the only character that X-Men barred the prequel from using because he first meets everyone in that movie, and we saw how long that lasted.

just because this movie was only loosely connected to the originals, doesn't mean they should just cut the connection all together for the next one...

I don't get everyone’s obsession with wanting to see Cyclops, again... we more or less already had 3-4 movie with him in them (he was there, it happened) but, I know that some fans think he was a bit miss-used in them (an want to see him get a second chance) but, what makes you think he well be used any better this time around, anyway

its time to give some other characters there time in the spotlight...

That’s the beauty of the x-men it is such a vast universe....
you don't always have to focus on the same handful of characters over and over again, there are so many other characters that can be shown, stories that can be told…

I think that I'm perfectly fine with not seeing Cyclops in the next movie..seconding that. Honestly, I'd even enjoy seeing a few lesser known (but badass) characters in the next one. It would definitely be cool to see Warren, assuming they cut off X3 in their minds..Hoping for Apocalypse personally as the villain though..Not too sure how a three-sided movie would go over again though.

I want Cyclops to have at least one film were he actually leads the team. I will not be satisfied until I get that. It's not such an unreasonable demand either.

Not to mention Scott is supposed to be the original X-Man and he was denied his spot in this film so he should get it in the next. It's a vast universe but denying Cyclops' presence in the history is almost as bad denying Xavier's or Magneto's. He's not any old character, he's the first X-Man and Xavier's successor. And considering he was treated as a non-presence, he deserves at least one film where he actually acts like the character.

The shouldn't be making new films with the job of filling plot holes from the previous trilogy. They should concentrate on making great sequels. That is all. I'd rather have good films than explanations for past mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"