Days of Future Past Why isnt this movie called X-Men The Origin?

this is probably the reboot to the x-men series. they will probably just make these instead of x-men 4. sounds like this will be more faithful to the comics. wonder what the x-men will look like.
Well, being more faithful to the comics is ok and everything, but like Iron Man and The Dark Knight has shown us, sometimes a better movie can be made when you make a few deviations from what's already there.

I think the first X-Men movies made some great choices in how they changed up a little bit of the story around the X-Men (some choices not as good as others however).

I'm not looking for an faithful X-Men movie. I'm just looking for a good movie with X-Men in it.

I think, upon initial forward thinking, since this movie takes place in the 70s-80s, I would anticipate the X-Men uniforms with brighter colors and more "retro" classic look, at least at first. It would be a great way to poke fun at the fans for the team to start off in their original suits and after noticing how ridiculous they look, maybe they change them up a little. It's better than nothing! :p

Last edited:
I think it just has a much better ring to it, and if there are other prequels, Fox probably doesn't want to have them all with the same confusing titles. Plus, it'd probably afford some extra revenue from people who aren't aware that it's a prequel, and not a sequel to The Last Stand, so that's always a bonus

Well, being more faithful to the comics is ok and everything, but like Iron Man and The Dark Knight has shown us, sometimes a better movie can be made when you make a few deviations from what's already there.

I think the first X-Men movies made some great choices in how they changed up a little bit of the story around the X-Men (some choices not as good as others however).

I'm not looking for an faithful X-Men movie. I'm just looking for a good movie with X-Men in it.

I think, upon initial forward thinking, since this movie takes place in the 70s-80s, I would anticipate the X-Men uniforms with brighter colors and more "retro" classic look, at least at first. It would be a great way to poke fun at the fans for the team to start off in their original suits and after noticing how ridiculous they look, maybe they change them up a little. It's better than nothing! :p

I completely agree with you on the whole "this isn't an X-Men adaptation, it's a movie starring X-Men characters" thing that gets under the skin of so many characters. I think the reason I never had a problem with the fact that the movies went off the beaten path was that the movies brought me into the comics, and not the other way around. I mean, I did watch the cartoons when I was younger, so I did know a great deal about the world of the X-Men, but the coupling of X2 blowing my mind and having a cousin who lives around the block from a comic book store compelled me to start reading comics.

Don't get me wrong, I own close to 400 comics (most of them X-Men-related), so I'm not just some casual fan of the movies who doesn't know what they're talking about when it comes to the origins of these characters, but I think the movies were doing their own thing and that worked fine. One of the problems with X-Men: The Last Stand was the it was trying to go back to the comicbook roots too much, which did the movie versions of the characters a bit of a disservice. It's the same problem that I see some people have with Nolan's Batman movies, because they won't get to see characters like Mister Freeze, Poison Ivy, Killer Croc, Bane, Penguin, or Robin at all/in the capacity that they are in the comics, which is unreasonable considering the tone of the movies.

On the subject of the First Class costumes, I think since the X-Men movies are set in 'the not too distant future', it might be closer to 80's-90's, so expect Xavier in leg warmers (ironic joke), while the team's grunge-inspired training uniforms are torn, bleached denim with leather X's decorating them. And expect an emo Scott and Storm with a fohawk.

I dont think x-men the last stand was trying too much to go back to its comic book roots... if you watch x-men 1, the story falls parallel to something the high evolutionary did by making everyone human... except they changed the character to magneto and had him try to change everyone mutant. Then you get to x-men 2 and well that is based on god loves man kills story featuring stryker. last stand was based on astonishing x-men title gifted as well touching upon some phoenix saga.

What i felt was wrong with last stand was the colaboration, after x-men 2, the president and the x-men should of been working together after the confrontation with xavier at the end of the movie but how did we go from that to x3 where they were making a cure... i think it would of been more logical to have the story more focus on the phoenix saga soloy so that a great threat like this would prompt an x4 story to feature a theme of being cured and making a cure.

I got a general feel that it was much more LIKE a comic than the others, which were grounded more in reality. I could have imagined X3 taking place in one of the books. One of the books written by a bad writer, but one nevertheless :p

The story was loosely based on scenes from Josh Whedons stories... he is like a god to these fans, you calling him a bad writer?

I would... i dont like him, i dont like his writing style and stories are too grounded in reality where you loose that sense that they are mutants with powers... He gave them too much soul...

But hundreds of Josh Whedon fans would go against me...

The cure plot was based on Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men story Gifted, but other than that I saw none of his influence in there, which is a shame. He did write an early draft for X-Men 1 (of which we got the "You're a dick" exchange on Liberty Island and Storm's "Do you know what happens to a Toad" moment as well). I would have loved to see something more in line with what Whedon wrote, but that would involve space and aliens and such, plus it was never really about adapting his work - it was taking X-Men stories that really resonated with the writers and with the readers themselves, and try to do them justice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"