Days of Future Past Days of Future Past: Fixes to Continuity

CyclopsWasRight

Well, he was.
Reaction score
So as of a clip recently, one of the inconsistencies in the continuity of the X-Men franchise has been fixed in Days of Future Past.

________

When we see Charles Xavier rescuing some Mutants from the Mutant Prison on three-mile island (1979 or later) he was walking.

When we see Charles and Magneto recruiting a young Jean Gray (sometime in the 1980s), Charles is seen walking.

X-Men First Class featured the moment where Charles lost the use of his legs (1964).

This therefore made the above scenes inconsistent as he was crippled in 1964 but walking in the 80s.

Days of Future Past is set in 1973...

One of the most recent clips explains that Charles Xavier [BLACKOUT]takes some kind of treatment that allows him to walk again but suppresses his X-Gene.[/BLACKOUT]

Charles: The treatment for my spine affects my DNA.

Erik:You sacrificed your powers so you could walk again?

Days of Future Past therefore establishes that Xavier [BLACKOUT]has in his possession a treatment[/BLACKOUT] that allows him to walk for the above scenes.

Inconsistency fixed.

Wonder if there'll be others.

Last edited:
The fact that Singer has now used DoFP to explain how Xavier was able to walk AND how/why Hank was able to appear in X2 in human form in a cameo pretty much solidifies even further that, contrary to what people want to believe, DoFP is not creating a split or alternate timeline.

But this particular fix occurs Before Wolverine tampers with the timeline.

Xavier has this [blackout]treatment[/blackout] in the original timeline from at least 1973 onwards.

An alternate reality will most likely spawn from Wolverine changes to history, but with Xavier having this [blackout]treatment[/blackout] before that, it explains his use of legs up to the OT even if a new alternate reality spawns at the end of this movie.

^ :facepalm:

It's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

SINGER AND CO. ARE NOT CREATING AN ALTERNATE OR SPLIT TIMELINE. They've made this pretty clear, yet people keep insisting the opposite.

You don't go out of your way to establish ties to/fixes for things that you're planning on writing out of continuity. It's a waste of time.

Last edited:
I replied to your above post in the OT out of existence thread as this isn't the place for this discussion.

Last edited:
Hmmm in my opinion, we should wait for the movie to come out first before we discuss continuity errors again. Its coming out in 17 days and the premiere is just 6 days away.

Well it seems pretty much confirmed from that clip. Though I take your point, there were many scenes shown in clips that were cut from ASM2.

But if kept in the movie it dictates that in 1973 [blackout]he has this treatment[/blackout] which allows him to walk if he so desires. So that applies to the Origins and the X3 scenes of him walking that we know and any scenes of him walking in those eras no matter the reality, [blackout]since he had access to the treatment[/blackout] before history skewed or not.

Last edited:
I assumed that with Wolverine going back, it gets Xavier out of his misery faster, so originally Xavier didn't come out of his rut until the 80s, but here Wolverine forces him out of it several years before.

Actually many will probably complain come the day that there is more continuity confusion now

Xavier gives up his powers so he can walk, but in X3 and origins he clearly has his powers while walking... So either it was just an excuse to have him walking and they didn't do this as a way to link up too X3 and origins or they are just taking liberties for the story, but even if you said he suddenly can use his powers while walking... Then basically he has no reason to get back in the chair which I think goes against what kinberg described

Honestly I bet there will be even more continuity questions by the end

^ :facepalm:

It's like I'm talking to a brick wall.

SINGER AND CO. ARE NOT CREATING AN ALTERNATE OR SPLIT TIMELINE. They've made this pretty clear, yet people keep insisting the opposite.

You don't go out of your way to establish ties to/fixes for things that you're planning on writing out of continuity. It's a waste of time.

There is absolutely no chance that the events of DOFP will lead back into the OT. The timeline is changed from the moment future Logan wakes up in 1973.

^ Everything we know says otherwise, but I'm not arguing with you people any more.

Sorry what? The timeline is going to be altered. It's not leading back into the OT. That's the entire point of this movie. There likely won't be a "split" timeline because that makes no sense. But altered, absolutely. Wolverine is changing things.

^ Pushing the events of the other films back counts as altering the timeline.

Things will be altered once Logan goes back to 1973. If the OT characters (Xavier+Magneto) are stupid enough to make the same moves again during 2000-2023 after Wolverine has warned them not to do everything they did the original 3 films then they deserve to be finished off by the Sentinels.

The only way nothing would change is if in X-Men 1 Future logan has already visited them in 1973 and his 1973 mind doesn't remember.

The original trilogy will still count in terms of the x-men having to go back to in order for you to watch DOFP.

Last edited:
^ Pushing the events of the other films back counts as altering the timeline.

They didn't specify the exact details of what will change. They say pushed back, what does that even mean? They hinted that the trilogy will have happened with some kind of ripple effect or something, what that means is up in the air but its definetly going to be altered. We just have to wait and see.

Only way for this oushing back but no changes thing to wrok would be for the FC characters to forget everythgin they do in DOFP.

Charles meets Logan for the first time in X-Men. he technically meets him for a few seconds in 1964 but it's so quick he has no reason to remember it. BUT Logan plays a huge factor in Charles' life in 1973, unless he forgets him then that automatically alters the OT into Xavier not meeting him for the first time in X-Men.

Actually many will probably complain come the day that there is more continuity confusion now

Xavier gives up his powers so he can walk, but in X3 and origins he clearly has his powers while walking... So either it was just an excuse to have him walking and they didn't do this as a way to link up too X3 and origins or they are just taking liberties for the story, but even if you said he suddenly can use his powers while walking... Then basically he has no reason to get back in the chair which I think goes against what kinberg described

Honestly I bet there will be even more continuity questions by the end

Well atm Charles doesn't state to what level his powers are gone. he may have them only as short-range and could only maintain contact for much much less time. He could in that scenario tell Cyclops where to go to exit before being cut off.

Last edited:
Charles meets Logan for the first time in X-Men. he technically meets him for a few seconds in 1964 but it's so quick he has no reason to remember it. BUT Logan plays a huge factor in Charles' life in 1973, unless he forgets him then that automatically alters the OT into Xavier not meeting him for the first time in X-Men.
Charles will know that, but the Wolverine from the past won't (since it's Wolverine from the future coming to his body in the past). Therefore it will just be another secret for Prof X to carry. ;)

Well atm Charles doesn't state to what level his powers are gone. he may have them only as short-range and could only maintain contact for much much less time. He could in that scenario tell Cyclops where to go to exit before being cut off.

Nothing is really stated, it's just said he gave up his powers so he could walk again, I suspect he has no powers at all tbh

You don't take the time to redefine when events from the Trilogy and Origins: Wolverine took place (which the Official Timeline does) if you plan on making it so that those events effectively didn't happen at all or didn't happen as we saw them.

At this point, the argument that the time travel will significantly alter or do away with anything we've already seen holds so little weight in the face of everything we know that to believe otherwise really is rather ridiculous.

Digifc have you got sources to what you say about Singer and Co. stating that history won't change, i'd like to read them

Thanks

Here are the primary pieces of evidence I point to when I state that everything we know corroborates the events of DoFP only pushing events from the Trilogy, Origins: Wolverine, and The Wolverine back:
* The Official Timeline and the way in which it redefines the chronological placement of events seen in the Trilogy and Origins: Wolverine
* Singer's statements about not ignoring the events of previous films and about this film showing how certain characters the people we know from previous films
* Kinberg's statements about the film showing how certain characters became who they are in the other movies, about when X-Men Apocalypse will take place, and about how this film will lead to things that happen in Apocalypse
* The film going out of its way to establish concrete links to/fixes for things from previous films that fans consider to be inconsistencies (Xavier walking in OW and the flashback in TLS and Hank appearing in human form in a cameo in X2)
* Statements from Lauren Shuler Donner about things she wants to see them do with the franchise in the future
* The fact that they have greenlit a sequel to the furthest-set complete film in the timeline, The Wolverine
* Statements that have been made about said film
* Statements that have been made about the in-development X-Force
* Statements from Patrick Stewart, Lauren Shuler Donner, Bryan Singer, Simon Kinberg, and others about possible future appearances from the OT cast members

At comic con a guy stood up and asked singer if it was true he would be erasing X3, the guy didn't sound to happy about that idea, bryan singer replied there will be some of that because it's the nature of time travel

Its on YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"