Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Marvel: Return of Iron Fist :o

tumblr_pkzy8kjEHL1ql19dso2_540.gif

200.gif

I kept trying to tell people that Brie Larson can be charismatic and funny when she wants but noooo, Sarah Alley Finn is a moron who doesn't know how to do her job.

EDIT: Wait a minute though, was that still of Carol and Monica fake? It was nowhere to be seen in this footage

Last edited:
So are people still going to harp on her not having any personality or always looking bored, because I saw plenty of personality from her in that new tv spot. Her and Nick Fury together looks like a straight up 90's buddy cop duo. I am very interested in seeing all their interactions.

It seems they are leaning more towards deadpan humor and low key line deliveries for Carol and it's still not working for me. At this point, I've given up on the marketing changing my mind. It's up to the film at this point.

And the cinematography in the earth scenes looks bland as hell. Like ABC's Agents of Shield bland. I really wish Disney/Marvel would stop hiring Ben Davis for their films.

200.gif

I kept trying to tell people that Brie Larson can be charismatic and funny when she wants but noooo, Sarah Alley Finn is a moron who doesn't know how to do her job.

That video you quoted has nothing new that changes my mind about her performance in this film.

Last edited:
Wasn't sold with the first 2 trailers, but the first look footage has rekindled my faith. The dynamics between Fury and Carol, and the set pieces look to be Marvel's best so far (not including the Avengers movies of course)
I'm still not...saw nothing that changes my opinion or impresses me about her casting most particular & the usage of this character. It all seem "forced" with heavy hitting actors, like Sam, Jude, Annette, and a few other well rounded actors, to help carry the film. I'm still very much not sold.

That Skrull shape shifting was not pretty, which is good. They shouldn't have a pretty shape shifting.
Reminds me of the Matrix when they transform.

It seems they are leaning more towards deadpan humor and low key line deliveries for Carol and it's still not working for me. At this point, I've given up on the marketing changing my mind. It's up to the film at this point.

And the cinematography in the earth scenes looks bland as hell. Like ABC's Agents of Shield bland. I really wish Disney/Marvel would stop hiring Ben Davis for their films.

Well said, good analysis. :up:

Also, nice to have our first official 90's track from the movie!
I had forgotten about this song, but it's exactly in line with the kinds of songs I'm hoping for in this movie. I was also worried that maybe they wouldn't bother with 90s songs, which I thought was a mistake.

It all seem "forced" with heavy hitting actors, like Sam, Jude, Annette, and a few other well rounded actors, to help carry the film.
Sorry but I don't get this. Is this the first time that an MCU movie has a supporting cast made up of proven actors?

AatW had Michael Douglas, Lawrence Fishburne, Michelle Pfeiffer etc.
BP had Forest Whitaker, Angela Bassett, Lupita Nyong'o, Michael B. Jordan etc.

Does that mean Marvel didn't trust Paul Rudd and Chadwick Boseman to be able to carry their own movies?

I’ll agree on the cinematography looking a bit bland but maybe that’s the aesthetic they are going for setting in the 90s.

Carol has a more dry humor so I like it.

Can't remember who it was, but somebody online recently said that CM would be Marvels first failure.
I disagreed.
Looks like I was right.

Nah I think Eternals will be their first big disappointment.

I appreciate that Boden and Fleck's tonal sensibilities, as reflected in the trailers, are more in line with that of serious storytellers like the Russos and Ryan Coogler. Maybe they can tackle the X-Men reboot next given the more topical undertones of that franchise.

Before we hand them future movies, let's see this one first. I am really excited for this and I am sure I will love it, but let's see the movie in its entirety before we crown people, LOL!

I actually liked what I saw in the first look. Carol clearly has no concern about using her powers in front of Fury and in public which shows she has a certain arrogance that I'm sure will bite her in the @ss during the course of the movie. Her humour is also slightly mocking and "I'm above you". I have no doubt that we'll see her grow through the course of this film and I'm excited to see it.

The scene in the diner where she uses her powers to show Fury she is not a Skrull I thought was hilarious and showcased what I think is going to be a major strength of the film. They appear to have great chemistry.

The scene in the diner where she uses her powers to show Fury she is not a Skrull I thought was hilarious and showcased what I think is going to be a major strength of the film. They appear to have great chemistry.
Yeah, I think they will be good together. I'm really glad they decided to use Sam for this. He looks amazing too of course. It's like watching a real life Elseworlds SLJ.

Yeah, I think they will be good together. I'm really glad they decided to use Sam for this. He looks amazing too of course. It's like watching a real life Elseworlds SLJ.

Yeah, that de-aging tech they're using is scary good.

It was a nice and promising Special Look. Captain Marvel and Fury play well from each other which is good. Some cool visuals here and there. That space fight seems like something to behold. It has some Guardians vibe to it. I liked seeing her on earth going through the desert on that bike, inside the bar... The earth aspects of the movie seem pretty good. The skrull angle is also quite interesting too.

I also liked more of her personality. That cocky, sarcastic tone of her's is fun.

I'm definitely getting more on board with this now. Seems like it might be somewhat of a "sleeper hit" from Marvel. I see shades of a great origin story and a really good movie. I'm also satisfied with that bit more of attitude and charima from Brie Larson as Captain Marvel.

So are people still going to harp on her not having any personality or always looking bored, because I saw plenty of personality from her in that new tv spot. Her and Nick Fury together looks like a straight up 90's buddy cop duo. I am very interested in seeing all their interactions.
Brie and SLJ are going to carry this movie. At first I wasn't sure about Fury being in this, but their banter together is gold. Love Carol's humor and Brie is really good with comedy, sometimes comedy is harder to pull off than drama.

I don't want to see a full romance with Fury or anything, but I definitely get a flirtatious vibe. Especially with things like that wink that Webfoot posted.

Can't remember who it was, but somebody online recently said that CM would be Marvels first failure.
I disagreed.
Looks like I was right.
Every new MCU film is always going to be a failure until it isn't. I guess they have to keep guessing till they are right, I just hope it takes longer for us to get it.

With everyone loving this more than the first two trailers, do you think marvel have conditioned their fans to like snarky/funny heroes? Will non snarky and serious heroes ever be well received by fans?

Honestly most of Marvel's characters are pretty snarky. Even the ones that are kinda stoic have very facetious tones. They were made to kinda be the upstart to the serious god heroes of DC, so to speak.

I wouldn't call T'Challa snarky. Cap is also pretty low on the snark scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"