Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 9

A better question is why would this scene be okay and supported by so many, but Clark Kent destroying a man's truck after the trucker was being abusive was not okay?

Superman engaging in petty acts of revenge, common thievery and/or gratuitous violence is worse because he's Superman. He (along with Cap) has been considered for decades as the heroic ideal boiled down to its purist form, and engaging in such shenanigans should be beneath him.

As for Carol.....I wonder why they didn't give her the Nega Bands for faux weaponry? I would have preferred to see those melt away instead of the neck band.

Random cute gifs from the blu ray extras.

View attachment 25506

View attachment 25507

True.

It's worth mentioning that the idiots criticizing the scene are getting viciously dragged on Twitter, especially by women. So many women wish they could beat up catcallers.

I can't imagine the level of incel you would have to be to take offense to that scene.

The thing is, an average woman beating up a catcaller and a superpowered woman with space powers beating up a catcaller and then extorting his stuff are not the same thing. This isn't just a "girl power" moment. I rewatched the scene, and I don't have a huge problem with Carol shocking the guy with her powers. It is sort of satisfying. But threatening to destroy his hands if he doesn't give her his property? That's not something a hero does. I also watched the Superman truck scene, and I have the same opinion about that. If Captain Marvel were supposed to be a more morally grey character (like the Guardians), it would be fine. But Disney and Marvel are holding this character up as a good role model.

Keep in mind Guardians 3 involved Rocket Raccoon stealing batteries out of petty revenge. But in his case, it resulted in consequences later down the road. And again, Rocket isn't really held up as a role model.

Also, it's pretty outrageous to call people who criticize this scene "incels" and "idiots". There's a good chance even Disney and Marvel take problem with it, hence why it was removed from the final cut.

The Superman scene is literally an homage to Action Comics #1 (1938) and is something he's done in every era and medium. It's pure Superman. Iconic.

And the deleted scene in Captain Marvel is a clear homage to Terminator 2.

Also, does anyone remember when in Wonder Woman, Diana stole the blue dress from that German lady, but the movie made it seem like it was okay because the woman was a jerk?

Also, it's pretty outrageous to call people who criticize this scene "incels" and "idiots".
But the people I'm referring to are idiots. I've even named two of them.

I'm still not sure about a relationship (is Carol just going to forget about her wife Maria :o) but I would kill baby Thanos for a Valkyrie/CM team up movie.

Also, does anyone remember when in Wonder Woman, Diana stole the blue dress from that German lady, but the movie made it seem like it was okay because the woman was a jerk?

Not only do I remember that, I am still confused by that scene every time I watch WW: did she beat up the lady and leave her naked and unconscious in the woods? Because that seems unnecessarily mean.

Not only do I remember that, I am still confused by that scene every time I watch WW: did she beat up the lady and leave her naked and unconscious in the woods? Because that seems unnecessarily mean.
XD

I hope that's not what Diana did but yeah, it's possible. Or maybe she threatened to cut her head off if she didn't give her the dress. :hehe:

Seriously, people are acting like this is the first time a hero does something jerkish, when it's actually very common. Some superheroes are even responsible (both directly and indirectly) for the deaths of many innocents but nope, Captain Marvel putting an idiot in his place is going too far and she's a villain for it.

Again, I'm so tired.

I'm still not sure about a relationship (is Carol just going to forget about her wife Maria :o) but I would kill baby Thanos for a Valkyrie/CM team up movie.

I hate how everyone is ignoring Maria, but I'm not surprised. These two have never even interacted, Carol and Maria had great bond in CM, but everybody is acting like we didn't see that just two months ago. If they are going to make Carol queer, I want Carol and Maria. If not, I hope she gets another black love interest since Rhodey is too old for her in the mcu.

Yes, I also want Valkyrie and/or Thor in CM 2.

I think part of the reason people are overlooking Maria is because in present day, she’d seem just as old for her as Rhodey, and Monica will be the one who seems her age, which does make things a bit awkward on the potential romance front, lol.

Last edited:
The worst part is that Lashana Lynch is significantly younger than her character, which means that she would have to be aged up every time she appeared. So Carol would be stuck with an old and expensive (for the studio :hehe:) girlfriend, which is kind of a problem.

I don't know, maybe Marvel would be better off completely ignoring the Carol/Maria ship. Let's not forget that technically that's all it is... it's not actually canon.

If not, I hope she gets another black love interest since Rhodey is too old for her in the mcu.
Well, Valkyrie is black. :sly:

The thing is, an average woman beating up a catcaller and a superpowered woman with space powers beating up a catcaller and then extorting his stuff are not the same thing. This isn't just a "girl power" moment. I rewatched the scene, and I don't have a huge problem with Carol shocking the guy with her powers. It is sort of satisfying. But threatening to destroy his hands if he doesn't give her his property? That's not something a hero does. I also watched the Superman truck scene, and I have the same opinion about that. If Captain Marvel were supposed to be a more morally grey character (like the Guardians), it would be fine. But Disney and Marvel are holding this character up as a good role model.

Keep in mind Guardians 3 involved Rocket Raccoon stealing batteries out of petty revenge. But in his case, it resulted in consequences later down the road. And again, Rocket isn't really held up as a role model.

Also, it's pretty outrageous to call people who criticize this scene "incels" and "idiots". There's a good chance even Disney and Marvel take problem with it, hence why it was removed from the final cut.

"Threatening to destroy his hands" = "you can have your hand back," huh? Sheesh.

First, this wasn't Auntie Carol behavior, it was Kree-trained Vers behavior. Second, the dude wasn't just a catcaller. He invaded Vers' space by grabbing her map and not taking the hint when she wasn't communicating with him.

Abuser Yon-Rogg being abused by the Supreme Intelligence.

Best deleted scene so far. It really, really shouldn't have been cut. It would've added some depth to both characters.

That’s a really good scene.

I think part of the reason people are overlooking Maria is because in present day, she’d seem just as old for her as Rhodey, and Monica will be the one who seems her age, which does make things a bit awkward on the potential romance front, lol.
Nah, she's not going to be that old. Anyway its a younger female/older female relationship as opposed to the young female/older male relationship Hollywood loves to push. I ship Wanda/Vision, but its still weird to me. If they recast vision for the show I won't complain.

Nah, she's not going to be that old. Anyway its a younger female/older female relationship as opposed to the young female/older male relationship Hollywood loves to push. I ship Wanda/Vision, but its still weird to me. If they recast vision for the show I won't complain.
Yeah if they were both in their 20’s in 1989, then she’d be in her early 60’s by “present day” 2024, so probably even older than Don Cheadle actually is. And I’m sure they’ll find a way to make now-30-something Monica her peer. I certainly wouldn’t have a problem with it but I do think it would be even trickier to navigate than Cap and his Carter ladies lol.

brie4.gif

Brie at her first costume fitting.

I meant the male love interest.
Sorry, I misread your post

At this point I'm wondering if she will have a love interest at all. It's such a shame that War Machine is not an option...

tumblr_ps9wvpAEqW1tctq75o2_r1_540.gif

tumblr_ps9wvpAEqW1tctq75o1_r1_540.gif

I'm not sure I'm allowed to post this here (Take it down if you need to) but here's an interview with Kelly Sue and Marvel Studios Director of Production and Development Mary Livanos:
(POSSIBLE ENDGAME SPOILERS - HAIR DISCUSSION)

Her costume looks amazing in the third act.

Said this elsewhere but I was struck on my first rewatch by how pretty this movie is overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"