cast a GARGOYLES live action movie

rainingcrow

Civilian
Reaction score
Disneys Gargoyles... Yeah hard to believe it was disney right? Anyway The show was something I thought had alot of potential to go live action back then... and the way things are goin now who knows, maybe it finally will...

this is for people to post their ideas, primarily casting.

my personal ideas

ok so for most of them I would basically say some motion capture guys like andy serkis or doug jones could do the bulk of the characters and basically just get voice actors for them... the onscreen result basically being like gollum, king kong or hulk... all had good screen presence for cgi...

The Ideal of course would be a good combo of cgi with prosthetics... like basically everything Guillermo Del Toro touches.

Some characters specificall though I would like to see played By recognizable actors... those are the ones I'll be listing below.

Goliath - david boreanaz
Hudson - ???
demona - ???
eliza masa - moon bloodgood, sarah shahi, or jennifer beals
xanatos - ???

Dont put angela in a first movie... save her appearance for a sequal.

I posted something similar a while back, http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=16438741#post16438741, here are my choices.

I have noticed threads now and then casting cartoon shows, such as Batman Beyond, and I have notcied that they are making live action movies from cartoons already like Transformers or G.I.Joe. So I just thought I would make a thread for casting any and every cartoon show out there.
Imagine they were making a live action movie out of your favorite cartoon shows, what Live Action actors and actresses would you like to see cast as your favorite cartoon characters?

GARGOYLES.jpg

I'll start with one I was considering the other day:
How about a live action Gargoyles movie?

I was looking at who voiced who, and for the most part the voice actor matched the character they were playing, so why not cast the voice actors as the live action characters they played in the cartoon?
Of coarse for the Gargoyles, and other characters, lots of FX and make up and prosthetic would be used. But look at LOTR, and with CG, almost anything is possible nowadays. It would end up being a big budget movie though. Anyway here:

Keith David voiced Goliath
Goliath.jpg
goliathsmile.jpg

Just imagine him with lots of prosthetics and a combination of CG, make up, and other effects, to make him look like Goliath, sort of similar to the way they make Mikcy Rourke look like Marve.

Salli Richardson-Whitfield voiced Eliza Maza
ElizaMaza-2.jpg
elisa2.jpg

Marina Sirtis voiced Demona
Demona.jpg
demona1.jpg

Like Keith David, Marina would require lots of prosthetics and CG (like Nightcrawler in X2).

Last edited:
Jonathan Frakes voiced Xanatos
XanatosDavid.jpg
Xanatos-1.jpg

Like Elisa Maza's character, Xanatos wouldn't need make up or FX.

The fallowing actors: Edward Asner, Bill ***erbakke, Jeff Bennett, and Thom Adcox-Hernandez, voiced the characters in this picture here.
gargoyles14.jpg

Edward Asner voiced Hudson
Hudson.jpg

And like the other Gargoyals, Ed would need make up and prosthetics and such.

Bill ***erbakke voiced Broadway
Broadway-1.jpg

Same with Bill. (and I don't know why it bleeped out his name.)

Jeff Bennett voiced Brooklyn
Brooklyn.jpg

Jeff would also need make up and CG and such.

Thom Adcox-Hernandez voiced Lexington
Lexington-1.jpg

Her would also require some CG, make up, prosthetics, and other FX.
But like I have said before, its been done in X-Men, Sin City, Legend, and so on.

So cast a cartoon show, any cartoon. He-Man, the Simpsons, JLU, Ren and Stimpy, anything.

I had more cast, just have to find where I posted them.

Tom Wilson voiced Matt Bluestone
tom_wilson.jpg
matt3-1.jpg

Just add some coloring to his hair and maybe comb it differently.

Richard Grieco voiced Tony Dracon
TonyDrakon.jpg
dracon.jpg

John Rhys-Davies voiced Macbeth
MacBeth-1.jpg
macbeth1.jpg

Perhaps they could do his character like they did with him as Gimly in the Lord of the Rings, only pick an action hero guy and CG his face onto him.

and a few more

Last edited:
I love Gargoyles too. I just thought how cool it might be to imagine (maybe even do photo manips of what a real life version might look like. Also all the character's look like their voice actors... sort of.

Tim Curry voiced Dr. Anton Sevarius
DrAntonSevarius-1-1.jpg
SevariusDrAnton-1.jpg

I know who looks different but Tim Curry in the role would be cool, maybe he could get a flat top.

Terrence Mann and Kate Mulgrew voiced
Oberon-1.gif
AnastasiaRenardandTitania-1.jpg

Oberon-y-Titania.jpg

Michael Dorn voiced Coldstone
Coldstone-1.jpg
Coldstone-2.jpg

and more

They do, especially the humans. The Gargoyles need a little make up but still look like their cartoon counterparts. And they are not just regular voice actors either, they are actors who have been in movies and TV shows.

Here are more,
The Maza family:
Michael Horse voiced Peter Maza (Eliza's father)
PeterMaza.jpg
Peter_Maza-1.jpg

Nichelle Nichols voiced Diane Maza (Eliza's mother)
DianeMaza-1.jpg
Diane_Maza.jpg

Monica Allison voiced Beth Maza (Eliza's sister) But so did Roxanne Beckford
BethMaza-1.jpg
Beth_Maza.jpg

still more

Me too,

I didn't know thats how they did it. I thought they did this ground breaking thing where they CGed his face over doubles and did (the opposite) put the real actor in costume for close ups.
Thats interesting. But its true that would probably not work well and hurt the performance. But I was just trying to see if the entire original voice cast could be used without replacing anyone. (you know, they don't necissarily need Macbeth. Although he would probably be used and is a fan favorite.

Apart though those two would work as the characters they portrayed in the cartoon.

JackalofthePack.jpg
Jackal.jpg

Just give him a really good long haired wig and he could play Jackal.

HyenaofthePack.jpg
Hyena.jpg

And she could play her character too,

But they couldn't be twins because of their age, your right.
In the cartoon they were turned into cyborgs, maybe they can use that to work them both in the movie without replacing them. Use the cyborg thing somehow.

I even have an idea how to do Puck too.

I was toying around with using the voice cast as well... especially ed asner, as I love his voice as hudson... But physically I always like boreanaz for goliath... Im about 3 quarters of the way through the manip currently and really opened this thread up to get more ideas for the remainder of it.

Its funny though because I didnt know the chick off of eureka was the one who voiced eliza... and she was actually my next choice for the character anyway because of her ethnic appearance and age... Its just that she seems lacking in the physical presence side of things... she's so short and sort of dainty..

one of the other key characters Im having difficulty with is xanatos... frakes voice is so distinctive that he would be hard to essentially replace, but physically he just couldnt fill that role anymore.

I like the idea of Sarah Shari as Eliza, but I rather have Sali Richardson.

It's hard for me to picture anyone else doing Goliath's voice besides Keith David.

Wow artistsean you have a great breakdown. You really did your homework on this one. I personally prefer the Gargoyles to be all CGI. I wouldn't mind if they go the Hellboy route with body suits, but fully animated gargoyles seems better. It also would allow them to use much of the fine cast that the show had. I'm sure if a movie were to be made, there would be some changes from the voice actors. That's understandable, but Keith David as Goliath is a must. He was so great in that role. I'm sure other voice actors like Kevin Michael Richardson can pull Goliath off too, but David owned that role.

my personal ideas

ok so for most of them I would basically say some motion capture guys like andy serkis or doug jones could do the bulk of the characters and basically just get voice actors for them... the onscreen result basically being like gollum, king kong or hulk... all had good screen presence for cgi...

The Ideal of course would be a good combo of cgi with prosthetics... like basically everything Guillermo Del Toro touches.

Some characters specificall though I would like to see played By recognizable actors... those are the ones I'll be listing below.

Goliath - david boreanaz
Hudson - ???
demona - ???
eliza masa - moon bloodgood, sarah shahi, or jennifer beals
xanatos - ???

Dont put angela in a first movie... save her appearance for a sequal.

Hate to rain on your parade, but Doug Jones has never done motion capture in a film. Ever. He works under prosthetics or as himself, and your idea of GdT is terrific - prosthetics would be great fun.

HM

Hate to rain on your parade, but Doug Jones has never done motion capture in a film. Ever. He works under prosthetics or as himself, and your idea of GdT is terrific - prosthetics would be great fun.

HM

Silver Surfer?

Silver Surfer?

Nope. Motion capture is when the WHOLE character is created digitally and the actor totally replaced by CG - that isn't how it was done for the Surfer. Despite what Fox would like you to think, Doug wore a prosthetic suit as the Surfer, designed by Jose Fernandez and created by Mike Elizalde and SPECTRAL MOTION, the Oscar-nominated team behind HELLBOY II. It took over two hours in makeup to get him ready as the Surfer and he WAS the Surfer when he stepped onto the set, and the only CG was a metallic sheen over the suit and the eyes created by WETA Digital.

So the character is a combi-platter - 95% actor in a prosthetic design, with a post-production digitial tweak, not a replacement.

HM

Keith David is to Goliath what Peter Cullen is to Optimus Prime. If you have a "Gargoyles" movie without him as Goliath, it would be a failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"