The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 1 (Spoiler Discussion)

I don't want to sound harsh and I know it takes some episodes for a serie to lay everything it needs and find its steps, but I really found that premiere to be a bit weak, and so on several level...

Story-wise, the episode felt poorly put together to me. The flashbacks didn't seemed to flow well with the other scenes, I couldn't really grasp the red wire of it all.
Like others, I felt like the Saarlac resolution was very anti-climatic. Boba wouldn't have been the only prey eaten with weapons, so watching that scene, it looks like he just got lucky to escape or whatever... It just breaks that creature aura of danger created now almost 40 years ago.
When it comes to presenting Tatooine mob world, I think the thing lacks scope, even considering it's a first glimpse. I know Boba is a bit out of his role as he now becomes the new godfather, but at that scene at the palace he really came across as… amateurish ? I don't know, I expect him to be grumpier I guess. His little walk in the city and visit to the club felt off. I can't say what it is... It just doesn't tell much imo.
Last thing, many of the enemies coming to attacked Boba were looking like random ninjas and, to me, it just felt incredibly uninspired in that universe. The creature in the desert wasn't a bad design, but once again, I can't put my finger on why I felt like this thing doesn't belong to Tatooine.

On a more technical level, if Temuera Morrison isn't lacking charisma, looks and acts good in that role, I found the episode a bit cheap on its visuals, save for some shots (the raiden tusken introduction, some Mos Espa aerial views). I know it's a bit unfair to compare with the artworks at the end (but is it really ?), but the photography could have been better imo, especially the lighting that could have been richer (the scene at the Tusken camp per example looked very flat).

Despite this wall of criticism, I can't say that I had a bad time. It just wasn't memorable at all. Like I said, I know shows usually need a few episodes to put everything together, so I'm not going to already condemn the whole thing. But I definitely think that for a pilot, they could have hit harder while maintaining the same intention.

Last edited:
Really need another episode to give us more to sink out teeth into, was nice visuals at times and looked good but there's not much to hang your hat on at the moment. Mando had the child from pretty much the first episode to care about but also going into the deep lore of the Mandalorian culture which got people invested in that show early on as well as BA fights with them. Hope we get more next week.

I think, to some extent, it felt a bit underwhelming simply because its only point of comparison is The Mandalorian, which had Possibly The Greatest First Episode Ever. Nothing could ever match the impact of meeting the Child by surprise ( and trying would fail for feeling like a deliberate attempt to duplicate the impact ).

I think, to some extent, it felt a bit underwhelming simply because its only point of comparison is The Mandalorian, which had Possibly The Greatest First Episode Ever. Nothing could ever match the impact of meeting the Child by surprise ( and trying would fail for feeling like a deliberate attempt to duplicate the impact ).

Nah, there are countless hours of television premieres, even those of spinoffs, that make for easy comparison.

I love the Mando, but no. Of the top of my head, BSG, Justified, The Americans, GoT, Hannibal, Invader Zim, Stranger Things stomp it into the ground. Heck it isn't even the best Star Wars first episode on Disney+. The Bad Batch has that on lockdown until at least Obi.

Mando's premiere has a great hook, and I think that helps it a lot, but I definitely couldn't call it the best premiere ever or even one of them. The rest of the episode is a mixed bag. Just looking at Star Wars and Disney+ shows to limit the field, Bad Batch, Hawkeye, Loki, Clone Wars and maybe Wandavision have better pilots, as far as I'm concerned.

Whatever one thinks of the way the show ended, we all know that Lost had the best pilot ever. WE KNOW THIS. Please agree with me.

It's on Star, it counts.

Mando had a good start, but like Snow said, there are a number of shows on Disney+ alone that you could make a case for having the better premiere. Bad Batch and Loki would be my picks.

We got a name for that multi-armed creature yet?

Looks like the Green Martians of Barsoom are in the creature’s design genealogy:
Green_Martian.JPG

This episode kinda makes me think of that Patton Oswald bit where he imagines talking to George Lucas (prior to the release of the prequels) and how Lucas is trying to get him excited about seeing Boba Fett as a little kid. Only instead, they think the best way to appease his fans is to show him as a broken down old man, lol.

This episode kinda makes me think of that Patton Oswald bit....
I mean we all pictured something over 30 years ago,
Just imagined it'd be more epic and intense.

Pit should have been filled with half digested and rotten still living beings. Clutching at him, and begging him to kill them.
While acid eats at him and his armor, and tendrils try to attach themselves to him, and down his throat and through his ears to his brain, to keep him alive in stasis and slowly digest him. This struggle should have been terrifying.
With nothing working, grapnel fires up, but nothing to grab, darts absorbed, blades ineffectual, flame thrower useless. While it piece by piece, strips him of his weapons and armor, and spits them out (how the Jawas got them), till his final chance is a last ditch suicide detonator and an explosive jet pack rise out of the abyss, as a relentless swarm of tendrils lash out and rise in pursuit, engulfed in flames, suddenly severed by the explosion, and fall away dead around him, as he falls back to earth...

A group of Tusken nomads in awe having just witnessed the impossible.

Instead of crawling out like a bloated frog.:funny:
5zgirq.gif

Last edited:
Hahaha.

I highly recommend reading Drew Magary’s review of this episode on SF Gate. I won’t post it here due to language but… let’s just say he was less than impressed.

I mean we all pictured something over 30 years ago,
Just imagined it'd be more epic and intense.

Pit should have been filled with half digested and rotten still living beings. Clutching at him, and begging him to kill them.
While acid eats at him and his armor, and tendrils try to attach themselves to him, and down his throat and through his ears to his brain, to keep him alive in stasis and slowly digest him. This struggle should have been terrifying.
With nothing working, grapnel fires up, but nothing to grab, darts absorbed, blades ineffectual, flame thrower useless. While it piece by piece, strips him of his weapons and armor, and spits them out (how the Jawas got them), till his final chance is a last ditch suicide detonator and an explosive jet pack rise out of the abyss, as a relentless swarm of tendrils lash out and rise in pursuit, engulfed in flames, suddenly severed by the explosion, and fall away dead around him, as he falls back to earth...

A group of Tusken nomads in awe having just witnessed the impossible.

Instead of crawling out like a bloated frog.:funny:
5zgirq.gif

The Snyder Cut of pointless scenes. I think Rise of Skywalker points shows what happens when you bring the old EU to the big screen.

All of it was just one big KJA novel come to life.

He could have at least remote called Slave-1, then launched a grapnel line to it's opening ramp. Fired up his Jet-Pack torching the living **** out the Sarlacc on his way up to dignified freedom.
Anything would have better than that phoned in "escape" scene, and crawling out like a slug.:funny:
5zgirq.gif

Last edited:
All of it was just one big KJA novel come to life.
I can see this. I just wish it hadn't got hacked down and they didn't ditch all the legit weird stuff. I liked KJA's books.

He could have at least remote called Slave-1, then launched a grapnel line to it's opening ramp. Fired up his Jet-Pack torching the living **** out the Sarlacc on his way up to dignified freedom.
Anything would have better than that phoned in "escape" scene, and crawling out like a slug.:funny:
5zgirq.gif
I thought it was made fairly clear he crawled out with the last bit of oxygen in his lungs, long gone. You expected him to be able to do all of what you suggested? Also, we already knew he lost his gear. How was that suppose to happen?

By writing and filming an actual interesting escape scene.
For a 30 years anticipated and imagined survival nightmare and escape scene meant to bridge the gap, what they delivered seemed phoned in and forgettable.
If you loved great.:whatever:

Last edited:
For a 30 years anticipated and imagined survival nightmare and escape scene meant to bridge the gap, what they delivered seemed phoned in and forgettable.
You don't have to like it. I was a little underwhelmed. But what you suggested made zero sense in context, but be mad bro.

He came out like he went it. Seems like perfect writing to me.

He came out like he went it. Seems like perfect writing to me.
I say this as a Fett fanboy. People treat him like he's a Jedi or something. He's not. He's incredibly skilled, a complete badass, and as we have learned a lot recently, a man who believes in ruling with respect. But he's also not a superhero. He wasn't going to leap from the depths of the sarlacc, as fireworks go off in the background. If he was capable of that ,he would have never lost his armor. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"