Legion Chapter 2 - discussixn thread

So I really like this show. Just some speculative stuff... that yellow-eyed demon is probably Mojo as most of us have begun to accept. Even if its just a loose adaptation. But I think that Mojo might be a manifestation of David's psyche. Similarly to how Phoenix is for Jean. I've never had a problem with the XCU's adaptation of Phoenix (even if X3 was a lame movie). But yeah it does seem like Fox has shown a hesitation to delve into the realm of cosmic/extra-terrestrial. So because of the nature of David's powers, Mojo may end up being a real physical entity. Perhaps even one who thinks he is an alien. But either way, I'm intrigued. Plus, by this logic, other obscure villains may also pop up in Legion's head and be realized in physical-form by David. That could be really cool.

Regarding the father not being Xavier. I suppose there's still a chance, however slight, that David could be misremembering his father. But its not particularly likely given that we've heard his voice/accent. Still, strange that we haven't seen his father's face nor his mother's. Maybe he was adopted.

So far I'm having a really good time uncovering the mysteries presented in this show. I'm just hoping (obviously) all the anticipation is well rewarded. If so, I'd place it in the Marvel Netflix tier of superhero television. Which is far above Agents of SHIELD and anything DC has done.

So far I'd put Legion well above Daredevil, which is the only Netflix superhero show I've seen.

That scene where the children's book went from innocence to murder was hella creepy, as was the one where David was tied up and the devil came for him.

Lenny's observation about ovens being used to kill the finer class of poets was pretty amusing.

Regarding the father not being Xavier. I suppose there's still a chance, however slight, that David could be misremembering his father. But its not particularly likely given that we've heard his voice/accent. Still, strange that we haven't seen his father's face nor his mother's. Maybe he was adopted.

Maybe I saw it wrong, but I thought in the flashback we saw his mother when she marked David's height. Not her full face, but I think some of it was visible.

What I wonder is if we did get an Xavier appearance or cameo...would it be McAvoy or Stewart? If at all, even. As far as I can tell, I don't think we're given a clear indication of what year or era it is on this show.

I've still not picked up on it. Could you explain?
Well several things really. His father took him to see these stars, Xavier is supposed to be his father in the comics. The shot visually has a bit of a dome shape. Then Cerebro is often described as having white and red lights that a child could see as stars. The stars talking would be because they aren't stars at all. Now that I think about it this entire series has white light as safe and normal and red light as dangerous. David being subconsciously scared of being a Mutant? I could be reading way too much into this and probably am, but this is one of those shows.

Another great episode. Freaky as hell at times.

At the end of the pilot, I was a little worried that the show was moving too fast, moving David out of the hospital/interrogation room so soon, but I actually really like this X-Mansion-esque setup.

What I wonder is if we did get an Xavier appearance or cameo...would it be McAvoy or Stewart? If at all, even. As far as I can tell, I don't think we're given a clear indication of what year or era it is on this show.

The brief glimpse we got of the dad looked and sounded not a thing like McAvoy.

finally, an ep that isnt confusing af :D

i have to wonder if that David w/ Dad memories arent themselves altered in some way. even David himself wasnt aware of the glitch until Ptonomy pointed it out, and when they tried to explore it... its like David's subconscious prevented them from doing that. or maybe it was that fat devil guy thing? i still dont understand what that guy is supposed to be.

anyway, really creepy what they might do to David's sister, what are those things in the tank supposed to be? fish? worms? leeches?

now im looking forward to seeing ep 3, instead of dragging my feet like i did with ep 2.

Every time I watch this show... it's like I'm telling the world "welcome to my head".

It doesn't bother me at all.

I just watched episode 2 and I definitely think I'm going to get more and more into this. It's just hard to ignore on many levels.

Hopefully there's more truth to that here than when Jeph Loeb says 'It's all connected' in regards to Agents of SHIELD.
Well to be fair I think it probably won't even be as connected as SHIELD is. Legion is largely standalone and that's a part of the strength of it as well. Doesn't make the small connections any less fun though.

So David also mentions his dad died while he was in the hospital.

We could logic that David is ~27 when the show begins, he was at Clockworks for 260 Thursdays (5 years), so he was committed around 22 (which fits with his dropping out of college). If (for funzies) we assume his dad is Xavier from the movies, it could be interpreted that Xavier's death was the same event as seen in X3 (widely accepted to be in the mid 2000s) in lets say 2007. So I'd like to assume he was committed sometime before X1, maybe 2004, and released 5 years later (2009).

Putting his conception/birth in roughly 1982. It's possible Xavier hadn't reopened the school yet (in the original timeline) and would have some time to devote to raising a child.

But if any of this is true we have to also accept that something happens to split Charles and David. As Charles would never have allowed his extremely powerful mutant son to be put in a mental hospital if he knew he was alive.

Anyway, just food for thought. This is gonna be a fun mystery to solve.

So David also mentions his dad died while he was in the hospital.

We could logic that David is ~27 when the show begins, he was at Clockworks for 260 Thursdays (5 years), so he was committed around 22 (which fits with his dropping out of college). If (for funzies) we assume his dad is Xavier from the movies, it could be interpreted that Xavier's death was the same event as seen in X3 (widely accepted to be in the mid 2000s) in lets say 2007. So I'd like to assume he was committed sometime before X1, maybe 2004, and released 5 years later (2009).

Putting his conception/birth in roughly 1982. It's possible Xavier hadn't reopened the school yet (in the original timeline) and would have some time to devote to raising a child.

But if any of this is true we have to also accept that something happens to split Charles and David. As Charles would never have allowed his extremely powerful mutant son to be put in a mental hospital if he knew he was alive.

Anyway, just food for thought. This is gonna be a fun mystery to solve.
Uh, isn't Legion set in the 60s/70s? How could he be born in 82?

Also, that man did not look like Charles. I would assume that man isn't his real father.

Uh, isn't Legion set in the 60s/70s? How could he be born in 82?

I gotta say, I doubt it. That's a very modern tablet computer pen-in-cheek guy had in E1 and then a very modern looking MRI machine in E2.

idk. Seems unlikely, but it's certainly not very cut and dry. There's a lot of anachronisms in the show no matter what time period it's set.

Also, that man did not look like Charles. I would assume that man isn't his real father.

I assume that too. But again, perhaps not cut and dry. I *really* enjoy that Cerebro theory.

I gotta say, I doubt it. That's a very modern tablet computer pen-in-cheek guy had in E1 and then a very modern looking MRI machine in E2.

idk. Seems unlikely, but it's certainly not very cut and dry. There's a lot of anachronisms in the show no matter what time period it's set.
It seems really weird they would go out of their way to make the show look very 60s/70s, sound very 60/s70s, have everyone dress up very 60s/70s, and then not have it set in the 60s/70s. The tech can be fudged. They have done that before. But the rescue screamed 60s/70s to me. But I guess the time period could all be in his head. Would be nice to have confirmation either way though.

Legion is deliberately set in an ambiguous time and place, like Batman TAS. That's why they have SWAT teams and technologically advanced iPad looking things contrasting with the 60s decor of certain aspects of the show like Clockworks and Amy's hair. Hawley mentioned his specific influences, I think it was some British show or something, I need to find the link to it.

So yeah, it could really be set anywhere. It's a heightened reality, and therefore he finds him liberated to pursue various aesthetics for the show.

Hawley said it’s all by design:

When I wrote the script I assumed it was set in present day and in our world, and I think the network assumed that too. Then when it came time to make it I thought about it more as a fable on some level and I realized I wanted to make something subjective. Which is to say this whole show is not the world, it’s David’s experience of the world. He’s piecing his world together from nostalgia and memory and the world becomes that. I found myself watching A Clockwork Orange and Quadrophenia and a lot of ’60s British films. Costume wise Clockwork had a specific look to it that I wanted to play with. I wanted to create a world that had its own rules, and that was about putting you into David’s head and seeing things that are there or aren’t there. You wonder: Who is this guy if everything he’s thought about himself is wrong?

Which again, is fine. It's more of a perception thing. We are viewing David's interpretation of the events. Or something to that effect.

Yeah, it's not the first show set in an ambiguous time period. Archer, for example, does it quite well.

It seems really weird they would go out of their way to make the show look very 60s/70s, sound very 60/s70s, have everyone dress up very 60s/70s, and then not have it set in the 60s/70s. The tech can be fudged. They have done that before. But the rescue screamed 60s/70s to me. But I guess the time period could all be in his head. Would be nice to have confirmation either way though.

We even got a hint that a lot of what he sees, while real, isn't exactly what it looks like to everyone else. Remember during the rescue, and we briefly saw Syd shift back into the 60's esque jump suit we saw her in in the mental hospital.

Either way, I don't particularly care, because the show looks fantastic.

An interesting facet of all this, is that if David has been telepathic since childhood/puberty, he will have heard voices from other people's heads for a very long time. Specifically his parents. Who (realistically speaking) would have grown up in the 60s and think of most things in terms of those memories.

I like that concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"