Chris Evans launches Starting Point

Schlosser85

Civilian
Reaction score
Chris Evans launches A Starting Point, a website featuring 150+ politicians | Boston.com

On Tuesday, actor and activist Chris Evans, a Sudbury native, announced the launch of A Starting Point, a civic engagement website that features videos from more than 150 elected officials from both sides of the political aisle discussing integral issues in short, easily digestible videos.

“I was watching the news and there was something I didn’t understand, and I went to Google it. And right away I was in the weeds,” Evans said. “There was just this mountain of information to sift through. And I thought, ‘What if there was a way that I could get not only concise answers to common questions, but get the answers from the elected officials themselves?'”

I love Chris Evans. Captain America is my favourite Avenger in large part because of his performance, and because of the character he created with the MCU screenwriters: a hero that will do what's right and stand up for democracy, no matter the consequences.

And yet, when I read this news I can't help but shake my head. Evans's views are those of a well-intentioned, but typical Hollywood liberal. They assume the problem is that voters just don't have enough communication with elected representatives, and that if we could somehow link the electorate with politicians everyone would be on the same page.

The truth is that politicians know fully well what the concerns of the electorate are. They just don't care. Under capitalism, the person or organization that has the most political influence is the one with the largest amount of financial support.

Last edited:
For good or ill... I now think it's very possible that Evans will run and be elected to office.

His brand for this is currently just TOO good. He can doodle away at some mediocre movies for the next few years but in 7 to 10 years Evans will make an announcement. He may build up his resume with a Govenorship or Senatorial gig... But then it's right on to being Prez.

For good or ill... I now think it's very possible that Evans will run and be elected to office.

His brand for this is currently just TOO good. He can doodle away at some mediocre movies for the next few years but in 7 to 10 years Evans will make an announcement. He may build up his resume with a Govenorship or Senatorial gig... But then it's right on to being Prez.

I don’t know if he’ll run or not, but I could think of worse people.

I could see him being a Massachusetts Senator or Congressman. His uncle already was one.

I don’t know if he’ll run or not, but I could think of worse people.

I could see him being a Massachusetts Senator or Congressman. His uncle already was one.

Me too.

And I feel that Evans has been a pretty responsible weilder of his celebrity power and I don't think he'd say or do anything I would find incredibly offensive or have huge, insurmountable differences with.

But make no mistake... This would be not too different than when Reagan was running for both California govenor and then president. Evans just happens to be appealing to Liberals rather than Reagan's courting of conservatives.

Very interesting

Yeah... I always felt that he will and he’s done nothing so far to disprove that.

He can literally run as Captain America. :hehe:
Making his presidential candidcacy announcement:

166882.gif

Chris Evans has been doing his best to act like Cap even after hanging up/passing on the shield on film. I’m really proud of him.

Chris Evans has been doing his best to act like Cap even after hanging up/passing on the shield on film. I’m really proud of him.

Agreed. He’s been a good representative for his character by being a respectable role model offscreen as well.

I admit I haven't looked too much into this, but I really hope that his wanting to give both sides a platform doesn't include Nazis and climate change deniers and anti vaxxers, etc. Certain topics should never be allowed to have a platform (like flat earthers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"