Christopher Nolan as a Marvel producer/director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
Hmm, I wonder if and when Nolan is done with Superman, could he be convinced to get involved with Marvel, and which characters could he be instrumental in reviving.

I hope not. I don't want to see his realism/dark take on Marvel characters.

There are likely plenty of characters that could be reinterpreted. The Punisher is one, for sure.

I don't think he'd be interested in doing this. Its obvious he likes superheroes, but it is also obvious he is much more interested in doing his own thing and working on other films outside of the geek pool unlike Joss Whedon. Thats not a blow at either one of them. Different strokes for different folks.

However, if there is one Marvel character I'd love to see Nolan's take on, it would be a WWII Captain America film. I liked the pulpy film we got, but I'd love a darker, grittier, Saving Private Ryan with a superhero type film and Nolan(or Spielberg) could deliver that.

Iron Man in a very dark and somber take of Demon in a Bottle, The Punisher or Daredevil comes to mind.

Anyone else saying "don't bring that up" or that Nolan shouldn't bring in any dark material to a Marvel film isn't really giving it much thought.

Nolan doesn't deserve to work on anything Marvel related.

Nolan should stick to WB films. In the third Superman film they can bring on Doomsday and have him beat Supes to death. Surely Nolan would take great pleasure in that. :o

Nolan doesn't deserve to work on anything Marvel related.

Seeing how Chris Nolan's average tomatometer is an 86.5% and the MCU films average is 79.8%, and his films have been nominated for 20 Academy Awards compared to 3 nominations for the MCU film, its probably the opposite of your statement if anything.

I prefer Marvel properties to DC, but there isn't a single director of a modern comic book film that is close to Nolan in terms of pure talent as a filmmaker.

Marvel doesn't have to rely on the director's award winning capabilities, they make movies heavily based on their comics without altering it them too much in adaptation.
While not carbon copies of the comics, they are distinctly their source material.
Batman was not.

Also, Marvel's movies really don't need to be award winning movies in anything other than maybe effect-based categories. To be honest, no comic movie really needs to be. Nolan is too boring for Marvel.

No. I like Marvel the tone it is.
And if he switches WB would probably fire him or something.

Marvel doesn't have to rely on the director's award winning capabilities, they make movies heavily based on their comics without altering it them too much in adaptation.
While not carbon copies of the comics, they are distinctly their source material.
Batman was not.

Also, Marvel's movies really don't need to be award winning movies in anything other than maybe effect-based categories. To be honest, no comic movie really needs to be. Nolan is too boring for Marvel.

I'm cringing right now. Its a bad time in cinema when people don't care about talented directors with a real vision, because 'these types of movies don't NEED it.' That's the kind of mentality that will keep Marvel from ever making a great film and its a damn shame. They should take the character's seriously and that means getting some talented people to make GOOD films, not GOOD COMIC films. The MCU took no risks in Phase One due to this mentality which is why every solo film is fun entertainment, nothing more, nothing less. They actually gave Whedon some creative control in The Avengers which is why its actually very good. The director should be the most important aspect of the film. Marvel knew that for The Avengers and it paid off. They need to start doing it with their solo films and based on what Shane Black did with Iron Man 3, I think they are learning, even if some of their fans aren't.

You can stay true to the spirit of the characters and stories while still making better films with better, more artistic directors that take risks. With higher risks comes higher rewards, but sometimes the risks backfire like Ang Lee's Hulk. However, I'd much rather have 4 great superhero films and 2 terrible ones, than have 6 entertaining fluff pieces. Nolan's films are not direct adaptions of the comics, but they are, for the most part, true to the spirit of the Batman mythos. Batman: Year One, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, Knightfall, and No Man's Land influences are huge. Now, I wouldn't say Nolan is an auteur, but he's the closest thing to an auteur in Hollywood working on big budget productions. Any blockbuster would be lucky to have him in the director's chair. Just my two cents.

EDIT: Also, you guys focus way too much on the tone. You can have a well-crafted film with genuine creative vision and still be lighthearted. Watch 'Raiders Of The Lost Ark', 'ET', 'Punch Drunk Love', 'Annie Hall' and 'The Big Lebowski'. I personally find plenty of aspects of Nolan's trilogy to be lighthearted, Bruce and Alfred's relationship, The Joker is hilarious, Selina Kyle's character and her interaction with Batman ect. Again, my two cents.

Last edited:
Batman was not.

The Mandarin is really Aldrich Killian and was played by a British actor in the comics?

Nolan should stick to WB films. In the third Superman film they can bring on Doomsday and have him beat Supes to death. Surely Nolan would take great pleasure in that. :o

Wait...are we saying it's a crime now that Nolan decided to use one of the greatest moments in Batman history where he was beaten and broken by Bane?

Marvelites....you crack me up...

Yes, keep him as far away from Marvel as possible. I don't need in any of his po-faced realism in a Marvel movie. I'll take an Iron Man 3 over a Dark Knight any day.

Yeah you do that. Leave us DC fans with our hack director, Chris Nolan. Never ever speak to us again we are not worthy of your saliva.

Seeing how Chris Nolan's average tomatometer is an 86.5% and the MCU films average is 79.8%....

Throw Man of Steel in there and see what Nolan's tomahto-meter says. :lmao:

Wait...are we saying it's a crime now that Nolan decided to use one of the greatest moments in Batman history where he was beaten and broken by Bane?

Marvelites....you crack me up...

Who said anything about Bane? I was thinking of the very dreadful POS MOS when I posted that.

Throw Man of Steel in there and see what Nolan's tomahto-meter says. :lmao:
Man of steel wasn't directed by him, either way i don't think Christopher Nolan should go to Marvel, his style works for DC because their universe is much diferente. I like how Marvel is doing right now, just hope their next films aren't as boring as Avengers

Man of steel wasn't directed by him, either way i don't think Christopher Nolan should go to Marvel, his style works for DC because their universe is much diferente. I like how Marvel is doing right now, just hope their next films aren't as boring as Avengers

Not that it matters. His average still sits above Marvel Studios', at 84.3%. I agree, though. I don't think Nolan is right for Marvel. Actually, it's probably the other way around.

The Mandarin is really Aldrich Killian and was played by a British actor in the comics?

R'as al-Ghul is really a Frenchman named Henri Ducard and was played by a Tibetan decoy in the comics?

R'as al-Ghul is really a Frenchman named Henri Ducard and was played by a Tibetan decoy in the comics?
Didn't THe Dark Knight Rises reveal that he was probably from Arabic countries?

Marvel doesn't need him and he doesn't need Marvel. He's great with DC, i don't think his style would suit Marvels tone. Leave him to make great DC films while Whedon makes great Marvel films I want to see both franchises done justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"