Civil War In The Dcu?

I thought Qurac was practically destroyed. In the Deathstroke title. Oh, well, I always liked the Quraci's, with their own superteam the Jihad, of which one of my fave characters, Ravan was a member before he sold out and went over to the Suicide Squad.

TheCorpulent1 said:
True, but there are loads of heroes unaccounted for at any given time. It seems unlikely that not a single one of them felt the need to intercede in Iraq. It'd actually be a good story for someone to write. I'd love to see Brubaker put Cap in the position of having to retrieve an American hero from Iraq when Cap probably doesn't agree with the war either.
Didn't he fight terrorists in the run previous to this one?

Sorry to go off topic, but awesome sig, Corp. Rescue Me rocks, and that moment was hilarious.

Thanks. I just watched seasons one and two last week. Looking forward to May 30th. :up:

TheCorpulent1 said:
I'd love to see Brubaker put Cap in the position of having to retrieve an American hero from Iraq when Cap probably doesn't agree with the war either.

Cap wouldnt voice his opinion for or against the war...if they wanted him to go in and save someone I think he'd do it. He doesnt have to like it he just has to do it.

He'd go because there was a life on the line, yes. Now that you mention it, he doesn't question the administration.

Chris Wallace said:
He'd go because there was a life on the line, yes. Now that you mention it, he doesn't question the administration.

that is because Cap is a product of the military. Ever notice how it is only retired military that speak out against the administration?????
I was reading another post on another site that said Cap's logic was flawed. This is a law that the American people support(based on how many people in the first issue are protesting) it goes thru official channels and becomes a law. Nothing devious or outright evil about it. So why is Cap against it?????
The excuse that the Government might point them at the wrong "bad guys" just doesnt seem right coming from someone who works for the Government and is an agent of Shield. This is why CW is flawed in my eyes. We never saw the debate of the good/bad of registration. We get a few blurbs about getting paid but having to tell their secret identities but nothing really meaty before heroes start lining up to fight each other.

Superman - would be for it
Batman - would be against
Green Arrow - Against
Teen Titans - AGainst

roach said:
that is because Cap is a product of the military. Ever notice how it is only retired military that speak out against the administration?????
I was reading another post on another site that said Cap's logic was flawed. This is a law that the American people support(based on how many people in the first issue are protesting) it goes thru official channels and becomes a law. Nothing devious or outright evil about it. So why is Cap against it?????
The excuse that the Government might point them at the wrong "bad guys" just doesnt seem right coming from someone who works for the Government and is an agent of Shield. This is why CW is flawed in my eyes. We never saw the debate of the good/bad of registration. We get a few blurbs about getting paid but having to tell their secret identities but nothing really meaty before heroes start lining up to fight each other.
Yeah, it should've been developed more. So far, w/the exception of Spider-Man, we really don't know why anyone feels the way they do.

boywonder13 said:
Green Arrow - Against
Teen Titans - AGainst
Why?

boywonder13 said:
Green Arrow - Against
Teen Titans - AGainst

I think Batman would be for it...but I am just basing this off his actions in Kingdom Come.
...but I dont see the DC US government being that disrespectful to the heroes. I think they'd let Superman handle the superheroes and then step in when/if he wasnt getting the job done.

Kingdom Come was a different situation, the world at that point was overrun by rogue "heroes". The cause of such events are the same but a lot of key factors are different and there was no registration involved just a giant prison were the heroes got to choose who went into it not the goverment. Batman was against the Superheroes completley taking matters into there own hands and I think he would feel the same way if the goverment decided the same. And as for the brother I thing, that was mainly for his own personal safety and i think he learned from that mistake.

I really can't see Superman going for it either. He has his own identity and his own loved ones to protect. No one in the DCU is particularly eager to become the next Ralph Dibney. More significantly, he is always incredibly wary of how his powers are used and who his powers are used by; becoming a weapon of the American government to be used however they want to use him definitely crosses that line. Can you imagine any individual nation being allowed to order around a power that can move planets?

I find Captain America's logic ridiculously simple, to be honest: these are the men and women who have risked their lives and fought and died for the safety of Americans and the world, and the nation is now rewarding them by putting everything they love at risk? Cap represents the American ideal far more than he represents individual American laws, and this is definitely not the American ideal.

The government sends superpeople overseas to fight in their wars all the time, but these are people who have volunteered for that job, knowing the risks and expectations, signing up their time to help their military and follow those sorts of orders.

All Quite True. Although That Moving Planets Thing Never Made Sense To Me; In Order To Touch A Planet's Surface, He'd Have To Enter Its Atmosphere & The Force W/which He'd Have To Push Against The Ground-he'd More Likely Punch A Hole Through It, Non?

BrianWilly said:
I really can't see Superman going for it either. He has his own identity and his own loved ones to protect. No one in the DCU is particularly eager to become the next Ralph Dibney. More significantly, he is always incredibly wary of how his powers are used and who his powers are used by; becoming a weapon of the American government to be used however they want to use him definitely crosses that line. Can you imagine any individual nation being allowed to order around a power that can move planets?

I find Captain America's logic ridiculously simple, to be honest: these are the men and women who have risked their lives and fought and died for the safety of Americans and the world, and the nation is now rewarding them by putting everything they love at risk? Cap represents the American ideal far more than he represents individual American laws, and this is definitely not the American ideal.

The government sends superpeople overseas to fight in their wars all the time, but these are people who have volunteered for that job, knowing the risks and expectations, signing up their time to help their military and follow those sorts of orders.

again this is the flaw of the series as it was never fleshed out what capacity would the heroes be working in. Would they be more law enforcement or military????

The heroes' concern isn't tha capacity in which they'd be working; it's the fact that their identities & freedoms would be compromised.
And I'm pretty sure they'd be law enforcement. The whole "sending them to Iraq" bit was just a theory.

Chris Wallace said:
The heroes' concern isn't tha capacity in which they'd be working; it's the fact that their identities & freedoms would be compromised.
And I'm pretty sure they'd be law enforcement. The whole "sending them to Iraq" bit was just a theory.

That Cap mentioned. If it was just Law Enforcement then why would he have an issue with the government pointing them at people who they deem are evil???? Cops go after criminals and arent usually told who to go after.
In all actuality(save for a few) they are breaking the law.

But if a cop doesn't agree with something he/she can ask to be reassigned or he/she can quit. The one thing that is clear about registration; it's for life.

where was it stated that it was for life????

It's pretty clear that if they want to continue being superheroes or even continue to use their superpowers in any way at all, they'd have to be employed by the government, and more specifically by SHIELD. SHIELD is much more a military organization than it is a law-enforcement organization.

BrianWilly said:
It's pretty clear that if they want to continue being superheroes or even continue to use their superpowers in any way at all, they'd have to be employed by the government, and more specifically by SHIELD. SHIELD is much more a military organization than it is a law-enforcement organization.

but could you see the US government registering all it's superhumans and having them go work for an organization that is loyal to the United Nations and not the US

No, not really:O. Superhumans are nearly the most powerful weapons of mass destruction you can imagine, and I can't imagine the US being very generous with that kind of power. Which is kinda ironic of course, since SHIELD used to be an international organization but has recently become pretty USA-specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"