Clerks sucks

Chasing Amy is his best movie and Clerks is his funniest... And Mallrats is his worst :(

kainedamo said:
I watched Clerks for the first time. Oh man, what a boring film. I don't understand where all the hype for this movie comes from. The rest of his movies are a massive improvement over this. The movie is one boring conversation after another. The crap that they are talking about is so mundane and crap. And the way they say things too. There's a scene with 3 guys talking, and everytime one guy finishes talking, the next guy says a line, then the other guy, it's so... what's the word... false. Yeah. Alot of the dialogue was so false to me. It must have taken Kevin Smith forever to write this movie, with such awkward dialogue. Every character thinks he's a wise ass. There's a scene where an old man is talking about tabloids, and out of absolutely nowhere one of the main characters spits in his face. The old guy runs out of the shop, and the guy spends the next 5 minutes explaining why he did it, as if it was some clever point. What a completely *******-ish thing to do. Really not funny at all.

The movie did have some funny moments. The scene where the video shop guy says "I don't appreciate your ruse" made me chuckle. But by and large, I was bored and frustrated. Each scene felt like a setup for yet another long and overdrawn joke. There are too many instances where nothing happens at all. An entire 8 seconds or so goes by as Dante serves a customer, with no words being exchanged. A hockey game insues, with takes up about 5 minutes of nothingness. I found it hard to pay attention afer awhile. I looked at the runtime, and sighed deeply as I realised the flick was only half way through.

Just what is meant to be so good about this movie? Bad acting, which I wouldn't have minded so much if the dialogue was more interesting. Cheap camera work. It just felt so mundane. It feels like watching co workers chat, and not being involved in the conversation, and what they're talking about is rubbish anyway.

Avoid if you're intelligent.
I agree. Clerks is over-rated.

Movies205 said:
Because there in the same category and I bet he loves QT, it's just an interesting point to make, who cares that he doesn't like Clerks?
Again, so what? The thread is about Kevin Smith and his movie Clerks. The fact that Tarantino also makes films with pop culture references means nothing. Just because two filmmakers both make films with similar elements doesn't mean that because one may make consistently good films, that the other must as well.

That's like saying James Cameron and Ridley Scott both made good Alien movies, so therefore, Paul W.S. Anderson must be a great filmmaker too.

"The kinds of movies Tarantino makes" has no relevance in a discussion about the merits/demerits of a Kevin Smith movie.

Dan loves Clerks, you should take notes.

sithgoblin said:
Again, so what? The thread is about Kevin Smith and his movie Clerks. The fact that Tarantino also makes films with pop culture references means nothing. Just because two filmmakers both make films with similar elements doesn't mean that because one may make consistently good films, that the other must as well.

That's like saying James Cameron and Ridley Scott both made good Alien movies, so therefore, Paul W.S. Anderson must be a great filmmaker too.

"The kinds of movies Tarantino makes" has no relevance in a discussion about the merits/demerits of a Kevin Smith movie.

Disagree, there both popular for the same reason which is there movies are movies about movies, it's only a singular point in the fact that you might not like Kevin Smith, but hte reason people do is for that reason, and on the same token that's the reason why people like QT, so it's just interesting since he probably likes QT. So there I do believe that makes my post relevant

Movies205 said:
Disagree, there both popular for the same reason which is there movies are movies about movies, it's only a singular point in the fact that you might not like Kevin Smith, but hte reason people do is for that reason, and on the same token that's the reason why people like QT, so it's just interesting since he probably likes QT. So there I do believe that makes my post relevant
His post is about the film Clerks. He didn't say "Clerks sucked, so therefore, movies about movies suck". He said "Clerks sucked".

People like these movies because of the snappy dialogue. The dialogue is the driving force of these films. And this guy is saying he didn't think the dialogue worked, and the film suffered as a result.

Saying "QT makes similar films" means nothing and is irrelevant. What does it matter if kainedamo likes QT or not? It doesn't change the fact that he didn't like Clerks, and he clearly listed the reasons why.

By your logic, if I said "The Mummy sucked, because the script was stupid and boring", you could leap into the thread and say "Well Indiana Jones was good, so you must be an idiot!". It makes no sense and has no relevence to the discussion at hand.

Clerks is funny. that's all. I don't think it's suppose to be taken so seriously. You either love it or hate it. I loved it, but I can see why people wouldn't like it. I thought the dialogue was good and the movie was done well for what Kevin Smith had to work with. I don't know where I'm going with this, but Clerks is ok in my book and it's a fun movie.

Clerks was the runaway hit at the sundance film festival when it came out.I went to see Scary Movie 4 and the preview came on,after the preview,I was the only one jumping in his seat.The I remember that the 1st clerks came out when the audiance was in diapers cause it was all teenagers.The don'[t get it.Smith is known for his dialogue skills.Great dialogue can make the movie,clerks is proof of that as was with Pulp Fiction.

kainedamo said:
I watched Clerks for the first time. Oh man, what a boring film. I don't understand where all the hype for this movie comes from. The rest of his movies are a massive improvement over this. The movie is one boring conversation after another. The crap that they are talking about is so mundane and crap. And the way they say things too. There's a scene with 3 guys talking, and everytime one guy finishes talking, the next guy says a line, then the other guy, it's so... what's the word... false. Yeah. Alot of the dialogue was so false to me. It must have taken Kevin Smith forever to write this movie, with such awkward dialogue. Every character thinks he's a wise ass. There's a scene where an old man is talking about tabloids, and out of absolutely nowhere one of the main characters spits in his face. The old guy runs out of the shop, and the guy spends the next 5 minutes explaining why he did it, as if it was some clever point. What a completely *******-ish thing to do. Really not funny at all.

The movie did have some funny moments. The scene where the video shop guy says "I don't appreciate your ruse" made me chuckle. But by and large, I was bored and frustrated. Each scene felt like a setup for yet another long and overdrawn joke. There are too many instances where nothing happens at all. An entire 8 seconds or so goes by as Dante serves a customer, with no words being exchanged. A hockey game insues, with takes up about 5 minutes of nothingness. I found it hard to pay attention afer awhile. I looked at the runtime, and sighed deeply as I realised the flick was only half way through.

Just what is meant to be so good about this movie? Bad acting, which I wouldn't have minded so much if the dialogue was more interesting. Cheap camera work. It just felt so mundane. It feels like watching co workers chat, and not being involved in the conversation, and what they're talking about is rubbish anyway.

Avoid if you're intelligent.

You didn't get it. Looks like your not intelligent.

Clerks is hilarious. Full of witty dialogue, it's a subtle(and not so subtle) jab at pop culture. It's a jab at the guys behind the counter. It's a jab at the guys in front of the counter. And it's a jab at whatever else Kevin deems worthy to make fun of.

You either get Kevin Smith or you don't. Unfortunately, you don't.

Movies205 said:
Heh, if you don't see my point you haven't seen many movies or haven't read much about film, in either case it'd be futile to argue my point.

No, you are wrong.

Shuley said:
Clerks was the runaway hit at the sundance film festival when it came out.I went to see Scary Movie 4 and the preview came on,after the preview,I was the only one jumping in his seat.The I remember that the 1st clerks came out when the audiance was in diapers cause it was all teenagers.The don'[t get it.Smith is known for his dialogue skills.Great dialogue can make the movie,clerks is proof of that as was with Pulp Fiction.

Im with you on that one.

I had seen Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob first, which inspired me to see Clerks when it was on th' cable rotation around here. So, I did, and I gotta say, it did suck. Sorry, but I failed to see what was so great about it. After an hour in I just had to turn it off, couldn't make it to th' end. It wasn't funny, it wasn't even interestin'. Th' later movies are by far much better.

And don't give me no Tarentino ****; I have no interest in any of his movies and I can care less what he does or who he does it. And I got sick of my film class constantly usin' Pulp Fiction as examples fer stuff.

WOLVERINE25TH said:
I had seen Dogma and Jay & Silent Bob first, which inspired me to see Clerks when it was on th' cable rotation around here. So, I did, and I gotta say, it did suck. Sorry, but I failed to see what was so great about it. After an hour in I just had to turn it off, couldn't make it to th' end. It wasn't funny, it wasn't even interestin'. Th' later movies are by far much better.

And don't give me no Tarentino ****; I have no interest in any of his movies and I can care less what he does or who he does it. And I got sick of my film class constantly usin' Pulp Fiction as examples fer stuff.

saw this post from a mile away

For some reason it seems like half of the Clerks fans' arguments defending it are as stupid as the people who hate it's. Maybe it's cause I personally don't think Clerks is fantastically great, or maybe it's just an example in the decline of our society and the intelligence in today's young people.

:confused:

I love how people are now bringing up the "you didn't get it" card. What's not to get?? They're very simple jokes, it's not like some joke that's hidden, the jokes are very clear. They're just ****ty and the setup for them is boring.

CConn said:
For some reason it seems like half of the Clerks fans' arguments defending it are as stupid as the people who hate it's. Maybe it's cause I personally don't think Clerks is fantastically great, or maybe it's just an example in the decline of our society and the intelligence in today's young people.

:confused:

I just like it because of the independentness of it and you can tell they are all friends and get what Kevin wanted.

Ghost World is a much more clever satire of our society, with jokes that are actually funny. Dan Clowes kicks ass.

I also like how people are bringing up the fact that Kevin Smith made the movie for a low budget. Who cares?? Look at Evil Dead. Now that is something to be impressed with. What Sam Raimi did with that movie was amazing.

I couldn't watch it but my brother seems to have interest in it...proably because of Buscemi :up:

kainedamo said:
I also like how people are bringing up the fact that Kevin Smith made the movie for a low budget. Who cares?? Look at Evil Dead. Now that is something to be impressed with. What Sam Raimi did with that movie was amazing.
Evil Dead budget in 1980whateveritwas - $350,000
Cleks budget in 1990whateveritwas - $30,000

kainedamo said:

Was Evil Dead made on a budget of $27,000? No. If you had 27K to make a movie couse you were too poor to make it in color,could you do better? Hell No.

Would you be pissed if your girlfreind sucked off 36 other guys before you? and you made 37? LOL ya you would.

I'm against Kevin Smith on principle. One word: "Dogma".

Kevin Smith has no bussiness bashinbg the Catholic religion.

thealiasman2000 said:
I'm against Kevin Smith on principle. One word: "Dogma".

Kevin Smith has no bussiness bashinbg the Catholic religion.
Except he didn't bash the Catholic religion. Poked fun in places, sure, but it was far from bashing.

If anything, it was pro faith.

How so ?
I think every person can voice his or her opinions when they agree or disagree with a certain religion , as long as you can have a good dialogue without cursing or saying things like Christ sucks or Mohammed is a pervert ..

Plus there are some fine points raised in Dogma too. Sure there's the standard Kevin SMith dialogue.But it's still a great movie.

I take it you're also then not gonna watch the Da Vinci Code ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"