Cobra Kai - (The Karate Kid Spin-Off)

Got a question here. So I saw the first two seasons when the show was over at YouTube, and have really only seen & remember the first Karate Kid movie. Should I bother watching Karate Kid 2 and 3 before watching season 3?

I would definitely re-watch Karate Kid 2 before getting into Season 3 since it plays such a vital part in some of the episodes and you will get a much better understanding of why those scenes are so important. I don think there's any need to re-watch 3 just yet though unless it plays a bigger part in the next season

Again, I love that it's a success, but this goes for every time these people release a "watched by..." doesn't mean anything when you can turn off an episode 2 minutes in and it's considered a "watch".

prediction for next season...
I suspect Hawk's redemption will be a big story arc, an they'll possibly even call the new combine dojo(s) name Hawk (or some variation of it)... and the climax of the tournament will come down to him and Kyler

Just been giving the Season 3 soundtrack a listen, and this in particular is an amazing track.

Spent the last week binging this show. It's a very silly show, imo, but cute and well-made nonetheless. I just read they're looking at a 6-season run for this and....how/why? The end of this season really felt like they were setting up next season to be the last. I can't imagine how they could drag this out for another 3 seasons in any kind of satisfying way, but oh well, we'll see.

Also, most of the actors playing the kids do well enough but the dude playing Robby suuuuucks, imo. If he weren't such a vital character for Johnny's development I would've started fast-forwarding through his scenes back in S2. It reminds me of Vincent Kartheiser playing Connor on Angel, in that the character could've been one of the most interesting on the show if played by a different actor (saying that, I loved Kartheiser on Mad Men, so maybe it's just plain ol' miscasting).

And Amanda deserves a damn medal for putting up with all this nonsense, lol.

I finished season 3 and the show is still good and holding my interest. The connections to Karate Kid 2 were fantastic and made sense, having Tamlyn Tomita (Kumiko) & Yuji Okumoto (Chozen) return to reprise their roles was brilliant and most importantly connected to the on-going story. It wasn’t just blind fan service.

The manner in which the show links up with the original movies is great.

However, what’s becoming an issue for me are the forced karate fights. The fight choreography, stunts, etc. are fine but the set-up to the fights are getting more and more contrived which is becoming a problem for me. They aren't as natural as they used to be.

Last edited:
I'll put this in spoiler tags, just in case and my apologies if this has already been discussed.

In regards to the Kreese flashbacks in season 3, I'm wondering if the writers intention was initially to throw a bit of a red herring at first in having the audience presume that Ponytail was Terry Silver, (due to the ponytail, lol) before revealing that Twig was in fact Terry, making them second guess things after Ponytail was executed.

As far as I can recall, Twig was only referred to as 'Silver' once by the Captain, but I can't remember if that was before or after Ponytail was executed.

I'm also thinking we could get an explanation into why Terry Silver has/had the ponytail, and that he grew it as a tribute to their fallen brother, Ponytail. Although this could come across a bit too cheesy and on the nose, but it's something I could see happening nonetheless.

I don't know if this is real or not but this would be hilarious if this happened. Realistically I just see him as a speaking extra playing a sensei from some other dojo at the upcoming All-Valley (think Topanga Karate or something)

I kind of wish Robbie didn’t exist. He just gets in the way, I feel. Having Robbie be there for Johnny’s development seems redundant since that’s what Miguel is there for.

I get what you mean but Robbie is also kind of symbolic too. He represents Johnny’s old life and his failures as a man and a father, while Miguel is symbolic of his new life and the path of redemption.

I just finished season 2. Gonna binge watch season 3 over the next couple of days. Very much still enjoying this show.

Edit

Also I'd cast Miguel as Nova.

I just finished season 2. Gonna binge watch season 3 over the next couple of days. Very much still enjoying this show.

Edit

Also I'd cast Miguel as Nova.

That is a great idea.

I'll put this in spoiler tags, just in case and my apologies if this has already been discussed.

In regards to the Kreese flashbacks in season 3, I'm wondering if the writers intention was initially to throw a bit of a red herring at first in having the audience presume that Ponytail was Terry Silver, (due to the ponytail, lol) before revealing that Twig was in fact Terry, making them second guess things after Ponytail was executed.

As far as I can recall, Twig was only referred to as 'Silver' once by the Captain, but I can't remember if that was before or after Ponytail was executed.

I'm also thinking we could get an explanation into why Terry Silver has/had the ponytail, and that he grew it as a tribute to their fallen brother, Ponytail. Although this could come across a bit too cheesy and on the nose, but it's something I could see happening nonetheless.

I mean, they were big fans of the fakeout this season. Kind of funny.

So i am VERY late to this party. Started the show a week ago and my brother and I are HOOKED. Holy CRAP who saw this show coming? I cannot believe it is this good. I just finished season two today and couple episodes into season 3. The school fight at the end of season 2 had my jaw on the GROUND. This show is damn good, like Stranger Things good.

Is it cheesy and over the top? Abso-friggin-lutely but the show revels in it and wears its heart on its sleeve unabashedly. The characters are so damn loveable and its just old fashioned fun. This is like the perfect show we need in these dark, dismal times we live in.

So i am VERY late to this party. Started the show a week ago and my brother and I are HOOKED. Holy CRAP who saw this show coming? I cannot believe it is this good. I just finished season two today and couple episodes into season 3. The school fight at the end of season 2 had my jaw on the GROUND. This show is damn good, like Stranger Things good.

Is it cheesy and over the top? Abso-friggin-lutely but the show revels in it and wears its heart on its sleeve unabashedly. The characters are so damn loveable and its just old fashioned fun. This is like the perfect show we need in these dark, dismal times we live in.
Glad you're enjoying it and welcome to the party! Season 4 can't get her soon enough, but after waiting nearly 2 years for season 3, I think I'm okay with waiting a little while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"