Conan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Rob Zombie news intrigues me. I'm actually kind of down for that. He's most likely a fan of this stuff. I just want to see if he's capable of making a movie that DOESN'T involve crazed white trash folks that kill people(not that that's a bad thing; i enjoy his movies, but i AM getting annoyed by how repetitive he's getting).

So if Rob directs we will see the Cimmerians as medieval hillbillies?:oldrazz:

My choice for Conan would be Karl Urban
Karl_Urban.jpg
urban.jpg

Its unlikely that you gonna seem him in Conan since he already did a warrior movie.

Its unlikely that you gonna seem him in Conan since he already did a warrior movie.

Well he he did three warrior films if you count LoftR and Riddick and he was in hercules/Xena TV shows as several characters including Cesar.

that poster is pretty nice hunter, wonder if the person on it is the person that will be conan??

I just saw scorpion king 2 (Made for DVD) which was terrible.But Maybe the hero Michael Coupon could do a young Conan.

Heard that they were doing a new movie. It is suppose to be closer to the books, anyone know whats going on with this, not seeing much on it anywhere. I did see a teaser poster on the main page though
I remember seeing Arnold, back in the eighties.. Ahh it was nice being a kid :whatever::woot:

I remember seeing Arnold, back in the eighties.. Ahh it was nice being a kid :whatever::woot:

I remember arnie back n the 80's as well and yes it was a good time to be a teen

I just saw scorpion king 2 (Made for DVD) which was terrible.But Maybe the hero Michael Coupon could do a young Conan.

nah not big enough, i'm not talking muscle here, frame is to small, thin.

or is that fan made?

It's the real deal. However, this is not the actor who will play Conan. There has been absolutely no casting whatsoever, and according to happenings over on the REH site, the only progress so far is that the second draft of the script has been submitted. I've also heard that it will take place while Conan has become king of Aquilonia.

I'm not at all thrilled by the idea of Rob Zombie helming. His name instantly makes any movie lose all credibility. His admiration of the material he works from is commendable, but his direction talents leave much to be desired. But this movie needs the credibility. Conan has such great potential to be something really awesome, but it could easily turn to cliche.

EDIT: Another thing about an actor...muscle is necessary, but let's not forget speed. Ahhnold was a bit slow.

I've been reading the collected stories of Robert E. Howard's original Conan

Same here.

Have you read any of the Dark Horse comics? Really good stuff. I picked up the entire run, plus alt. covers, the one-shots and mini-series for $75 at a local convention. If you like the original stories, I HIGHLY recommend the Dark Horse run.

Looks like Conan is moving forward in a big way.

'Conan' unsheathed at Lionsgate
Dirk Blackman, Howard McCain set to rework script

By Jay A. Fernandez and Carolyn Giardina
Aug 13, 2008, 01:00 AM ET

Dirk Blackman and Howard McCain are trying to corner the market on sword-swinging fantasy adventures.

Blackman and McCain have been hired to rework the script for "Conan," as in the barbarian, for Lionsgate. And the writing team's action-adventure screenplay "Amazon," an epic about female warriors to which Scarlett Johansson has been attached, is sailing out of turnaround toward Lionsgate as well, with Neal Moritz and his Original Film banner coming on to produce once the deal is completed.

Director searches are under way for both.

CEO and president of Paradox Entertainment Fredrik Malmberg is producing the "Conan" feature along with Boaz Davidson, Joe Gatta and Avi Lerner of Millennium Films.

Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer ("Sahara") wrote earlier drafts of the film, a potential resurrection of the classic warrior created by Robert E. Howard in dozens of pulp stories published in the 1930s. In 1982, Oliver Stone and John Milius wrote a bloody adaptation, which Milius also directed, that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger.

"We all want this movie to go into production as soon as possible," Malmberg said. "It's a fast-tracked movie. Lionsgate felt the process was enhanced by having a second team come in and do a script."

Much like with "Batman Begins," the studio hopes to redraw the Conan feature universe to produce a new, post-millennial franchise. So rather than remake the Schwarzenegger bloodfest, the writers have gone back to Howard's original stories to create a $100 million R-rated origin film, the largest production to date for Lionsgate and Millennium.

"Fans expect (these types of movies) to be more true to the source material," Malmberg said. "There's no reason there couldn't be a Conan movie every two years. He's almost like Batman: He's a dark hero. He's a hard hero. He has to be badass, but we also have to like him."

Blackman and McCain, repped by ICM and Circle of Confusion, recently co-wrote the science fiction actioner "Outlander," which McCain also directed. It screens Friday at the Locarno film festival. They also are credited writers on "Underworld: Rise of the Lycans," due out next year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i84d286596a535ecf5a3141fe4e1b2bee

Same here.

Have you read any of the Dark Horse comics? Really good stuff. I picked up the entire run, plus alt. covers, the one-shots and mini-series for $75 at a local convention. If you like the original stories, I HIGHLY recommend the Dark Horse run.
I'm afraid I haven't been able to get my hands on any of those. I'll look for them.

Amazing how the original Howard stories differ from the movies, the biggest difference of course being that Conan is actually allowed to talk! :cwink:

Speaking of Conan, any of you guys ever hear the rumor about the He-Man toyline having originally been intended to be a Conan toyline (which Mattel denies)?

Outlander looks great, so I can't wait to hear what they have to say.

Is it possible to e-mail those guys?. I Want them to suggest Mel Gibson as the director. He fits perfectly with this kind of story. Thanks To X-fan!

Speaking of Conan, any of you guys ever hear the rumor about the He-Man toyline having originally been intended to be a Conan toyline (which Mattel denies)?

I've heard it, but I believe it to be false. I think the MotU was more Mattel trying to recover from turning down Star Wars (they were the first company approached before Star Wars found a home with Kenner).

Anyway, great Conan news. Glad to see this is getting somewhat of a budget.

Is it possible to e-mail those guys?. I Want them to suggest Mel Gibson as the director. He fits perfectly with this kind of story. Thanks To X-fan!

your welcome, i like mel, but im still hoping for a whole slew of suggestions, on the off chance someone does see this thread, so come on guys suggest who you feel would be best and why, ohh and i think rodriguez is producing or something like that, i might be wrong.

Is Brett Ratner being offered Conan?

Exclusive: Brett Ratner Considering Conan?

While this may not be horror in the strictest sense, sometimes some news comes along that just makes your stomach turn and you have to get it out there.

We got word today that Nu Image is offering the long-awaited new Conan movie to, of all people, Brett Ratner. Over the years there have been so directors circling this project, everyone from Robert Rodriguez to Rob Zombie, the fact that Brett Ratner might actually attach himself to this and make it a reality is almost enough to make one wish they’d just stop trying to bring Robert E. Howard’s creation back to the big screen.

We’ll wait until we get some more solid details on this before giving up completely, but if Ratner does get it, I think it’ll be pretty clear that Nu Image doesn’t give a single hell what the fans want to see from a new Conan movie. How could they possibly think he'd be able to do a movie like this any justice? What films has he directed that indicate this would be a good fit?

- Johnny Butane

http://www.dreadcentral.com/story/exclusive-brett-ratner-considering-conan

ahh crude so much for epic, i don't hate him as a director, but he aint the man for this *sighs* i hope this aint true

Nu Image Meeting With Slew of Directors For Conan Reboot, Including Brett Ratner

Posted on Friday, September 19th, 2008 at 9:49 pm by: Hunter Stephenson

On Thursday, we played pinata with the rumor that Brett Ratner was in talks to helm the $100 million R-rated Conan reboot. Well, Latino Review put the gossip in focus, reporting that Ratner merely took a meeting with Nu Image, and evidently so have a lot of other directors. We think a few of them would be ace for the job.

Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (Crank, Crank 2, Crank 3/3D, Game, Jonah Hex)

At Slashfilm: In Crank We Trust (a lot). With their debut feature, the duo hit the ground running with so much batty confidence and aggression that we’ll support any genre fare they wish to assault with a bullet-time rig or a gazillion consumer-grade cameras and a mulleted Corey Haim. Moral: If someone throws a ridiculous house party, from then on you just need an invite. Imagining what these guys would do for barbaric decapitations, naked women nestled in animal furs, and a botched crucifixion with vultures (if applicable in the reboot) makes us want to sell your sister to James Earl Jones to make it happen. And their down-to-earth relationship with movie sites would quickly dust off the skepticism amongst readers who didn’t grow up with Milius’s version. But aren’t they insanely busy?

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later, Intacto)

If LR is on the money with this list of prospects, it seems that Nu Image wants to invest in a director(s) with turbo-powered visuals and style to spare. Fresnadillo is apparently scheduled to meet with producers, and he’s a guy we’d recommend for several projects of Conan’s magnitude…if we didn’t keep forgetting about the dude! In the summer off 2007, the sequel to Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later was supposed to put the Spanish hotshot on the fanboy map; alas it fell well below Fox Atomic’s box office expectations. That said, along with the 10 people at my screening and the New York Times, I was knocked-over by how well he handled action, tension, gore, clever subtext, and a modern flare too often attributed to coked-out music video directors. I was possibly even more knocked-over by future runs-ins with 28WL haters and meh’ers. Fresnadillo’s likely seen as untested for the mega loot at play here, but the talent is obvious. With a solid cast, he’s a fantastic gamble. Take advantage.

Other directors who’ve sat down with Nu Image include the long rumoured Neil Marshall (The Descent, Doomsday), James McTeigue (V For Vendetta, Ninja Assassin, Wachowski Bros’ protege), Greg and Colin Strause (AVP-R, **** this), and Robert Rodriguez, who’s been attached to a reboot for years, and is said to remain choice numero uno, but he can’t work it in. Oh yeah, and Brett Ratner (Chris Tucker’s career, swimming pools). So, the list is pretty encouraging, with a few welcome surprises. More as it develops.

Discuss: Out of the directors here, who would you choose? Why do you think the level of interest in a Conan reboot isn’t incredibly strong?
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/19...tors-for-conan-reboot-including-brett-ratner/

not sure who i'd chose off that short list ...help me out anyone?

I like either James McTeigue or Neveldine and Taylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"