Coronavirus and its possible impact on upcoming MCU productions

Your argument confuses me cause Captain Marvel and Far From Home had very similar box office results.

But Spider-Man moving is inevitable. Venom: Let There Be Carnage has been delayed until June 25. Even if Spider-Man COULD get moving, that's too close for them to be. Question becomes will they delay until late 2021 like December or sometime in 2022?

I would imagine that Spider- Man gets pushed back to July 2022 with Captain Marvel 2 being moved to May 2023. I can't see Sony going with a Fall release for a Spidey film not to mention the fact that Dr. Strange 2 is slated for November 2021 and I can't see Marvel budging on that.

The delay of Venom 2 shows also, that studios aren’t confident, that cinema releases will be possible in October.

I would imagine that Spider- Man gets pushed back to July 2022 with Captain Marvel 2 being moved to May 2023. I can't see Sony going with a Fall release for a Spidey film not to mention the fact that Dr. Strange 2 is slated for November 2021 and I can't see Marvel budging on that.

Sony has no sway over the release date of Captain Marvel though. Since Marvel currently has that date claimed, they have to reach some type of negotiated deal with Marvel Studios to claim that date. It's not just as easy as they can plug it into Captain Marvel 2's date. Marvel Studios doesn't dictate the Spider-Man release dates. That's completely up to Sony's release schedule. There's also the possibility that Marvel is not going to want to move Captain Marvel 2 off that date, so I'm curious to see where Sony is going to end up dropping it. Maybe they experiment with something new like releasing it in December right around Christmas time or something like that.

Sony could not dictate a claim on the July 2022 release, that’s right.
But there has been a delaying of Thor, Black Panther, Captain Marvel before, when Sony pluged Spiderman Homecoming into the July 2017 slot.
Also marvel wants to use Spiderman and his characters in the future, so they might be negotiable to that release-changes

Sony has no sway over the release date of Captain Marvel though. Since Marvel currently has that date claimed, they have to reach some type of negotiated deal with Marvel Studios to claim that date. It's not just as easy as they can plug it into Captain Marvel 2's date. Marvel Studios doesn't dictate the Spider-Man release dates. That's completely up to Sony's release schedule. There's also the possibility that Marvel is not going to want to move Captain Marvel 2 off that date, so I'm curious to see where Sony is going to end up dropping it. Maybe they experiment with something new like releasing it in December right around Christmas time or something like that.

True. There will have to some coordination between Marvel and Sony but Marvel did reshuffle the Phase 3 schedule around for Spider-Man when they made the initial deal and I don't see why they wouldn't again if neccessary.

The delay of Venom 2 shows also, that studios aren’t confident, that cinema releases will be possible in October.

There's a global pandemic going on right now. The hell with confidence- this is about trying to make good out of a bad situation. By your logic, any studio in addition to Sony that's pushed back a movie did so due to a lack of confidence.

Pretty sure that was the reason they did. Why did Marvel delay BW „only“ until November and not May 2021? Because they are confident that cinemas be open in November.
Btw: it won‘t. 50 people in a closed room with artificial air-condition- let us hope, this will be possible in May 2021, even if there‘s a vaccine early 2021 (it will take months after everyone had a shot of it)

I'm sure people are confident that cinemas will be open in November. Perhaps they're smart or perhaps they're idiots. You think people as a whole are going to let their guard down and be willing to go into large gatherings again when we have no idea when there'll be a vaccine for this, if at all? Theaters being open in November doesn't mean the virus just went away.

Plus, you answered your own question about Widow. Unlike Marvel Studios, Sony doesn't have several films- and now streaming shows- filming at or around the same time. Shifting one date for Venom 2 and Morbius doesn't equate to shifting Black Widow, Eternals, Shang-Chi, and down the line. Not to mention trying to keep things consistent with the Disney+ shows that could tie into the films. I mean, if you want Marvel Studios to delay Black Widow to May 2021, then find new slots for Shang Chi and Eternals as well.

That is exactly what will happen...but I will be happy if I‘ve been wrong

As far as release schedules go, if this pandemic is going into next year, then there's going to be coming a streaming model to try and get some revenue off some of these movies. They're not going to wait a full year after moving the movie before being able to potentially make any profit off it. If this Global pandemic is going to be one, two, maybe three year type thing like you're trying to present then to combat that the studios are going to have to come up with some type of pay-per-view model that doesn't exist yet. But I don't think we're there yet. We just kind of have to wait and see.

I'm going to be more curious to see what film production is going to look like in the future. Are we going to start seeing film studios eventually try to replicate what WWE has done with their performance center stuff? Meaning skeleton crews on green screen sets with no more practical locations for the time being?

I'm going to be more curious to see what film production is going to look like in the future. Are we going to start seeing film studios eventually try to replicate what WWE has done with their performance center stuff? Meaning skeleton crews on green screen sets with no more practical locations for the time being?
Coincidentally Deadline just did this article about how a particular show in Australia will resume production next week. It is believed to be the first suspended TV drama in the English-speaking world to restart production.
Deadline: Aussie Show Sets Safety Protocols As It Resumes Production; First Show Back Could Be Road Map For Others

"— The studio space has been divided into quadrants, with three production teams isolated from each other and only three actors allowed to cross between the groups. “There will be no more than 100 people a day in any area, we’ll implement the four-square-metre rule and the one-and-a-half-metre social distancing rule,” Fremantle Australia boss Chris Oliver-Taylor told Australia’s ABC, which airs Neighbours. Because of that setup, if someone gets sick, only the group whose member is affected will be suspended and the shoot can continue with the other two groups.

— There will be a nurse on set, and everyone entering the site will have their temperatures checked;

— Male actors will have no make-up, female actors will not be touched up;

— There will be no physical contact between actors including kissing, holding hands or intimate scenes;

— Actors will also practice social distancing, with camera trickery used to make them look closer together;

— There will be be no outside extras, with crew members already on set doubling as background performers.

Hollywood is currently in its sixth week of production shutdown.
"

Hand holding could still take place. It's only a hand after all. Just film someone holding their spouse's hand like Chris Hemsworth was kissing his own wife disguised as Jane Foster in Thor The Dark World.

I think the film crews should send actors their own professional cameras to film a bit in their own homes and then use that footage. They can change the backgrounds with the vfx teams.

They haven't even released a trailer for Venom 2. Also Morbius/Ghostbusters were delayed to March. Its a no brainer for a film without a trailer released yet, that itwould be delayed as well. Sony didn't even officially announce that they would release Venom 2 in October in the first place.

The move doesn't have anything to do with studios being "confident". Its not like Venom 2 just finished post prod and just waiting for a theaterical release.

Last edited:
Hand holding could still take place. It's only a hand after all. Just film someone holding their spouse's hand like Chris Hemsworth was kissing his own wife disguised as Jane Foster in Thor The Dark World.

I think the film crews should send actors their own professional cameras to film a bit in their own homes and then use that footage. They can change the backgrounds with the vfx teams.

That might work for actors who have a partner. But what about those Leo Di Caprios, who don‘t have a serious relationship or for those who have different sexula orientations

Also, outdoor filming in big cities won‘t be possible with the 100 quadrants.

Btw I‘m confident (sorry to use this term again), that this situation won‘t last for 2-3 years - we probably will have a vaccine in early 2021. But it will take months, until 8 billion people have received a shot. Even the 380 millions of american people.
And I don‘t think that Disney will delay BW for another 2-3 times. The next delay will be in a realistic scenario, like summer 2021, or it will be VoD
Eternals could be held back until July 2021

That might work for actors who have a partner. But what about those Leo Di Caprios, who don‘t have a serious relationship or for those who have different sexula orientations

Also, outdoor filming in big cities won‘t be possible with the 100 quadrants.

Btw I‘m confident (sorry to use this term again), that this situation won‘t last for 2-3 years - we probably will have a vaccine in early 2021. But it will take months, until 8 billion people have received a shot. Even the 380 millions of american people.
And I don‘t think that Disney will delay BW for another 2-3 times. The next delay will be in a realistic scenario, like summer 2021, or it will be VoD
Eternals could be held back until July 2021
Eternals already finished filming.

Unless you eXpect them to do MASSIVE reshoots or you are referring to postprod work.

Yes, I know, but why to release it in February (which is still uncertain, due to the vaccine-situation) and sacrifice the number one spot in May.
From what it looks now, filmings for Shang Chi won‘t continue for weeks/months and it won‘t be possible to have it ready in May 2021. Btw lots of ignorant people probably may have ignorant attitudes towards a MCU-movie set in China after this crisis ended (not me, I‘m curios too see).
Then it will guarantee more box office revenue for a Guardians-like Eternals with its higher starpower (Jolie, the GoT-actors,..) to be released in May 2021

Yes, I know, but why to release it in February (which is still uncertain, due to the vaccine-situation) and sacrifice the number one spot in May.
From what it looks now, filmings for Shang Chi won‘t continue for weeks/months and it won‘t be possible to have it ready in May 2021. Btw lots of ignorant people probably may have ignorant attitudes towards a MCU-movie set in China after this crisis ended (not me, I‘m curios too see).
Then it will guarantee more box office revenue for a Guardians-like Eternals with its higher starpower (Jolie, the GoT-actors,..) to be released in May 2021
Why relese it in February? Because they don't see things being delayed up to that point. And Mulan should give you an idea how Shang-Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings might perform.

As for China, I hope you know there's a difference between an American film filming in Australia using China as one of the settings in the film despite not actually filming in China; and being against the Chinese government. Like seriously.

If this situation extends into the late part of the year, I am just waiting for productions to do everything on green screens like the Star Wars prequels until the world can come back to normal. I think that is likely to happen at some point should this go much longer.

I hope this will look better then those greenscreen-scenes in Oz - the great and powerful. But then again Jon Favreau and his production team did a great job with Jungle Book. But I doubt CGI, which look that real, can be created within 3-4 months

Even if the CGI in my proposal doesn't look great, if that becomes the only safe way to make movies in the immediate future, then I see studios absolutely going for it. If the choice is between doing less visually appealing films or no films at all, I think less visually appealing films will win the day.

Why relese it in February? Because they don't see things being delayed up to that point. And Mulan should give you an idea how Shang-Chi and the Legends of the Ten Rings might perform.

As for China, I hope you know there's a difference between an American film filming in Australia using China as one of the settings in the film despite not actually filming in China; and being against the Chinese government. Like seriously.
The Public's attitude towards anything Chinese is pretty hostile at the moment. If Mulan appears this year it will flop.

But features Chinese culture - it will suffer financially from the loss of the bigot audience.
You are basing this on what?

Marvel movies are obviously American. And the movie will be part of the Marvel brand. Its not like the movie is being funded/produced by the chinese government.

Also, Tiktok is a Chinese video-sharing social networking service owned by ByteDance, a Beijing-based company founded in 2012. That is doing well at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"