Could a Superman 'Requel' Work?

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Man of Tomorrow, Feb 25, 2009.

1. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

well obviously superman and lois would be together.
    but i want to know HOW

2. BestGirl

BestGirl Chillin' on Dragonstone

That would make Superman look even worse.

3. Superfreak

Superfreak Gramaton Cleric

or brainiac grabbed him, cloned him, and sent a bizarro back in SR... and the real superman is still trapped on Krypton

4. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

I think we are on the same page.

5. Webhead2006

Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

Yea as many have said before the kid throws in alot of non needed problems for a sequel and other elements of SR that just didnt work out that well due to singer not getting it done better. That is one of the reasons i rather see a full on reboot so they can clean slate everything and start fresh and dont have to worry about the Reeve films stuff or SR stuff.

6. mego joe

mego joe Well-Known Member

...it always comes back to the kid doesn't it. If they waited for a 3rd film with a kid it should have been a fairly faithful adaptation of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

No illegitimate children and deadbeat dads, please.

7. Nixon

Nixon Well-Known Member

There weren't any deadbeat dads in the movie. At least, not if you go by any definition of deadbeat dad that actually means something.

As soon as he found out that Jason was his, Superman was there for him.

And illegitimate children? Really? Did we lose a century while I was away or something?

If it's okay with everybody else, can we just not go back to labels that only serve to stigmatize people?

Jason's not an illegitimate child. He's a child. Period.

8. Webhead2006

Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

actually he is an illegitimate child, if you want to go by the technical definition of the word:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/illegitimate

9. Nixon

Nixon Well-Known Member

That's not the point. I've seen, first hand, the damage to self image and self esteem, that being called an "illegitimate child" can do to kids and I think it'd be nice if people could just stop doing it.

10. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Infinity

Did this need it's own thread? This question is only asked every 10 posts.

11. Nightwing1977

Nightwing1977 Want to see my mask??

I don't remeber there is a deadbeat dad in a Superman movie.

12. mego joe

My use of the word is not to stigmatize the child or take anything out on the child. It is about the irresponsiblity of the parents. If anything, my intent is to raise awareness so that children get what they need out of life instead of getting the short end of the stick b/c of irresponsible parents.

13. mego joe

That's right, you don't have a problem with Superman exhibiting irresponsible sexual behavior.

14. Nightwing1977

Nightwing1977 Want to see my mask??

Not really. I'm pointing out the lie on your so-call truth on deadbeat dad. It's a fact Superman is not a deadbeat dad. Look at the meaning of "deadbeat dad" in a dictionary, 'cause nowhere does Supes ignore his son (time & time again, Supes didn't know he has a son until the end) & will not support him. If he was a "deadbeat dad", he wouldn't even visit him at the end of SR. :whatever:

15. Cool Monty

Cool Monty Cool as Hell

Hold on, doesn't Superman have to have known he had the kid and then done nothing about it before he could be called a deadbeat dad?

16. Nixon

Nixon Well-Known Member

So, attatching the label of "illegitimate" to the child accomplishes any of that how?

And no, I'd like to think that you're not using the term specifically to stigmatize kids, but it has that effect regardless everytime you use it.

17. mego joe

It means "This child needs some special attention b/c his parents are irresponsible. Be sensetive to what you say so you don't inadvertantly hurt his feelings."

Of course the term isn't really used conversationally. The situation would be described differently if we were talking about someone we knew. But in a format such as this it is easier to use a single word to describe the situation in the movie.

18. mego joe

Nope. Not in my book. When you engage in a sexual relationship, you better be prepared to fulfill your responsiblities, both moral and financial. With SR, I am more concerned about the moral responsiblities that Superman abandoned when he ditched Lois w/o a goodbye and explanation b/c of the cowardly 'it was too difficult.'

19. Nixon

Nixon Well-Known Member

Yup, he does. You can't willfully shirk a responsibility unless you know you have that responsibility in the first place.

Mego seems to be assuming that the only way a parent can be responsibile is if they're in a so-called "traditional" family structure.

20. mego joe

No you have to be present in that childs life AND you have to actually let your sexual partner know when you are leaving the planet so she knows what's up. Otherwise, you're pretty much an irresponsible dirtbag. It's all about what's best for the kids.

21. hockeyboy89

hockeyboy89 Well-Known Member

HE DIDN'T KNOW HE HAD A KID!!! If you look at the "Dead Beat Dads" displayed on the billboards I'm sure they have birth certificates, DNA, court rulings, etc to prove paternity. HE WASN'T HERE.

22. Nixon

Nixon Well-Known Member

And as soon as he found out about Jason, he went to him.

Also, I find your position odd. On the one hand you're fine with Superman tampering with Lois's mind without asking her permission, in effect treating her like a child or a pet rather than an adult, but you want to call him a dirtbag because he didn't check with her before going to find Krypton. At least the latter was a mistake acknowledged and apologized for.

It just seems like an unfair double standard.

23. mego joe

The point is that Superman was so irresponsible he didn't even tell Lois he wasn't going to be around. There was no possible way he could have ever known b/c he was too much of a coward to be honest with Lois. Just b/c he didn't know doesn't mean he's not responsible or doesn't have a responsiblity towards Lois. It means that he's even more irresponsible. Is sexual responsiblity really that hard to understand?

24. hockeyboy89

hockeyboy89 Well-Known Member

Not it's not, but following his heart and leaving not only her, but his friends and mother is one thing. He didn't get her drunk, pass on herpes, then go fly to Krypton with Miss October after she showed him her pregnancy test. That's sexual irresponsibility.

25. mego joe

The intent of the ending of Superman II is that Superman aleviates her pain and allows her to go on with life without the painful knowledge that she cannot be with Superman. Despite the fact that the amnesia kiss is stupid, the above is the intent. It's not about SUperman being selfish or cowardly or doing something he knows is wrong that hurts Lois.

In SR, he knows that leaving w/o the goodbye is the wrong thing to do and does it anyway. Plus he admits it's 'too difficult.' When was the last time Superman failed to do something b/c it was 'too difficult.' The intent here is that SUperman is a screw up and immature emotionally.

In Superman II he's not making a mistake by giving her the amnesia kiss, he's helping Lois. In SR, he's being immature and sexually irresponsible by not telling Lois goodbye.