The Dark Knight Could very well be the best - and Nolan's last

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
We'd all like to imagine than Nolan will be directing Bale in quality Batman movies far into the future, but history has proven that's not likely to be the case.

Sam Raimi is only the first director to do three movies of the same superhero franchise. Whether he continues for a fourth is anyone's guess at present, as is the return of Tobey Maguire or Kirsten Dunst. Richard Donner only managed one and a half Superman movies. Richard Lester the same. Tim Burton completed two Batman films. Joel Schumacher two. Singer did two X-movies.

History has also shown that the second in a superhero series is often the best, or at least, of a high quality comparable to the first movie. See Superman II, Batman Returns, Blade II, X2, Spider-Man 2.

The third in the series rarely, if ever, lives up to the first two (this rule can be applied to any film series, supehero or not). See Superman III, Blade Trinity, Batman Forever, X-Men: The Last Stand, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, and so on.

So my point is, The Dark Knight has a good chance of being the best Batman movie Nolan makes.

History doesn't always predict the future, you know. Unless TDK fails quite badly at the box office - which, I think we can agree, is pretty unlikely - I would be extremely surprised not to see Nolan return for a third film.

especially seeing as Nolan is signed on to do 3 films and all...

Kevin Roegele said:
We'd all like to imagine than Nolan will be directing Bale in quality Batman movies far into the future, but history has proven that's not likely to be the case.

Okay...

Sam Raimi is only the first director to do three movies of the same superhero franchise. Whether he continues for a fourth is anyone's guess at present, as is the return of Tobey Maguire or Kirsten Dunst. Richard Donner only managed one and a half Superman movies. Richard Lester the same. Tim Burton completed two Batman films. Joel Schumacher two. Singer did two X-movies.

Okay, but this isn't exactly a scientific case study, here. We don't have any numbers on Nolan in a franchise operation. "Batman Begins" is arguably the best Batman movie thus far, so what happened with Burton and Schumacher are really irrelevant. Burton's problem was that the studio didn't like the direction he was going; Schumacher's problem was the fans didn't like the direction he was going. Nolan is not likely to have either of those problems. Nolan gets the character, much in the way that Raimi gets Spidey, so why don't we just wait and see?

History has also shown that the second in a superhero series is often the best, or at least, of a high quality comparable to the first movie. See Superman II, Batman Returns, Blade II, X2, Spider-Man 2.

Are you on crack? Superman II was ass.

The third in the series rarely, if ever, lives up to the first two (this rule can be applied to any film series, supehero or not). See Superman III, Blade Trinity, Batman Forever, X-Men: The Last Stand, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, and so on.

I'd have to say that Superman III was on part with Superman II. As for TMNT3, I never saw that. The poster made me want to burn things. I would guess that the shift in quality for Blade III, BF and X3 has to do with the change in directors. X3 really wasn't bad, it just wasn't a Bryan Singer movie, which in this case was unfortunate. Batman Forever also wasn't bad, considering that Batman 89 and Batman Returns weren't great either; Forever it just wore its problems more openly. Again, this proves nothing for Nolan's bat-flicks. Wait and see what Raimi does with Spider-Man 3. My guess is it's going to be seven flavors of awesome with sprinkles on top, and this will prove what can happen when one director stays with the franchise.

As for Batman, WB is a different beast now than it was ten years ago. Or even five years ago. I think they trust Nolan, and I think they know that we do, too. So wait and see, and shut yer yap. :)

So my point is, The Dark Knight has a good chance of being the best Batman movie Nolan makes.

I've no doubt it will be the best one so far, but we'll wait and see what happens when he does Batman 3. Because for my part, I believe he will. :up:

Kevin Roegele said:

Donner loss control because of differences with the Salkins.

Burton loss control because of poor Box Office numbers.

I have no idea about Blade.

Now X Men and Spiderman are good comparisons. Rami is back for Spider-man 3, and Singer would of been back for X Men 3, if the studio would of waited for Singer to finish with Superman Returns. So unless Nolan gets wrapped up with something else (which is a real possibility), I see no way Nolan doesn't come back for a third film.

Blade had a different director for each movie, so...it really doesn't apply.

Keyser Sushi said:
Okay, but this isn't exactly a scientific case study, here. We don't have any numbers on Nolan in a franchise operation. "Batman Begins" is arguably the best Batman movie thus far, so what happened with Burton and Schumacher are really irrelevant. Burton's problem was that the studio didn't like the direction he was going; Schumacher's problem was the fans didn't like the direction he was going. Nolan is not likely to have either of those problems. Nolan gets the character, much in the way that Raimi gets Spidey, so why don't we just wait and see?
Just a slight adjustment to your post. The problems with both Schumacher and Burton were after the second film was sealed and delivered, not before. I'd say at this point, Nolan is exactly in the same position both Joel & Tim were, coming off a financially successful first film. The studio has trust, so they give almost complete control with the sequel.

I personally don't think Nolan will make a drastic mistake for the encore, but you never know. If the second is a bigger hit than the first, then we can count on a Raimi-like situation for this franchise.

Crooklyn said:
Just a slight adjustment to your post. The problems with both Schumacher and Burton were after the second film was sealed and delivered, not before. I'd say at this point, Nolan is exactly in the same position both Joel & Tim were, coming off a financially successful first film. The studio has trust, so they give almost complete control with the sequel.

That's true. Burton was very successful with B89 and when he did Returns he went off the Burton end with it and deviated too far from what most people expected... likewise Joely-boy was successful with BF but then took things too far in BR and the fans were calling for a lynching. But again that doesn't mean it will happen with Nolan. Nolan seems to understand the character much more fully than either Burton or Schumacher. Batman Begins is far better (for my money, at least) than either Burton's first outing or Schumacher's initial colostomy of a film. So it seems unlikely to me that Nolan will go apenuts with his sequel.

I personally don't think Nolan will make a drastic mistake for the encore, but you never know. If the second is a bigger hit than the first, then we can count on a Raimi-like situation for this franchise.

Exactly. Nolan's approach seems to be to keep things... I don't know, grounded, which is what Burton and Schumacher both failed to do. Burton kept the first one grounded enough and then let it slide into hell for the sequel, although in retrospect B89 was knocking on hell's door; meanwhile Schumacher's BF was already straining at its moorings and BR definitely wound up somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue. :csad:

Nolan focused much more on the character drama and the logistics of being a one-man crime-fighting unit. If he takes that to the next level all he can do is explore the character more deeply, and that can't be a bad thing when the characterization of Batman in "Begins" was spot-farking-on.

This thread could very well be the worst and Kevin Roegele's last

Batgort said:
This thread could very well be the worst and Kevin Roegele's last

Why would it be Kevin's last? I don't often agree with the guy but he's been here a lot longer than you have, so I'm going to bet that he knows how not to get kicked off the Hype.

Also, this thread, while essentially useless, is not against forum regulations really. It isn't trolling and it isn't redundant, particularly. It's just useless.

To my knowledge there's no rule against uselessness.

PS - I realize you're being a smartass and parodying the title of the thread, but, really... it doesn't make sense. :(

One of the few times a topic by Kevin has disappointed me, oh well.

Nolan's commented numerous times on his vision of a Batman trilogy. He only has 3 in mind. No more, no less.

Let the playful suggestive banter continue.

Well you know since Nolan signed on to do three films and is under contract....well y'know.

Keyser Sushi said:
X3 really wasn't bad, it just wasn't a Bryan Singer movie, which in this case was unfortunate.

Okay... this coming from the guy who said The Matrix: Reloaded was the worst movie he's ever seen?? Look, Matrix aside, X3 was f**king ******ED!!!! I can't even begin to tell you how much that movie pissed me off. Brett Rattner should be disembowled with rusty hooks, and then hung puplicly.

Dude, whatever you're smoking, I want some.

Kevin Roegele said:

You make a very good observation Kevin. However i think that the cast and Warner are so in love with Nolan and Goyer's vision that a third movie would probably have minimal chance of happening without Nolan at the helm.

I assume nolan will do 3 bat movies, but then again everybody thought Singer would direct X-3. Listen if Nolan gets his "dream movie" like Singer did with superman, that may stop him from helming a possible 3 bat movie.

But only if WB decides to be *****es about it. :o

Nolan has said he and Goyer made a sort of basic storyline for three or four movies. I think his strategy will be making smaller movies like The Prestige and The Prisoner in-between the Batman movies so he doesn´t get tired of the franchise.

Oh my God, i am so tired with these dumb questions!

Of course, nolan will come back for making 3rd movie.

If Nolan quits after TDK does it means Bale will quit too? Nonsense, if TDK does great (which will) Nolan will be back for a third sequel.

Well, not a bad topic except Batman Returns sucked and Nolan is signed for three films as others have said already.

^^I don't think Nolan is signed for a 3rd movie. It took a long time before Warner signed him and Jonah to do TDK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"