Craig from Krypton Sites top 10 things (for season 9).

ZIPBAGS

Sidekick
Reaction score
Craig over at www.kryptonsite.com had a top 10 list of things he wants in season 9. I thought it would make for good discussion. I agree with them all.

10. Martha Kent
Yes, she was on my list last year, but my wishes to have her on are just as valid now. I feel that Jonathan Kent taught Clark about right and wrong but Martha, more than anyone, teaches Clark about the human heart. The fact that she was played by someone as talented as Annette O'Toole helped. To go two seasons now with only a mention every 5 episodes or so is disappointing, especially as Martha is and always has been a very important part of the history of Clark Kent and Superman. (On that same note... does anyone have parents anymore? Gabe Sullivan, The General... let's see them already!)
9. Heroes Being Heroes
Please, no drunk Ollie, no Chloe dragging dead bodies into the dumpster, no Lois making up stories, no Justice League that will betray Clark, and no Clark who wouldn't turn his back on his friends who need him. Batman is supposed to be the broody one; Iron Man is the drunk. Superman is supposed to be the greatest hero of all, and even if he's not totally "there" yet, he should at the very least start behaving heroically by now. It's been 9 years.
8. Consistency
Obviously writing 22 episodes in a season can be taxing. But I'd really like it if at the very least there was some consistency; for example, if Lois has photos with the Dalai Lama one week, she should be able to get into a press gala the next.

7. Don't tease us with Lex unless Michael Rosenbaum is going to come back.
I admit it: I loved the shot at the end of "Bride" where it seems Lex was watching everything. But it may have been too soon, considering we never actually saw Lex. By the time "Requiem" came along, it might have been better to not do Lex at all rather than give us "Darth Lex" which did nothing more than to remind us that, yes, Michael is gone and we as fans miss him a lot. With that said, if Michael will finally come back, then by all means, tease away.

6. The Other Luthor.
This one's probably way too late, but it's too bad that with Paul Wesley doing The Vampire Diaries, that The CW couldn't do some crossover cashing-in by having Lucas Luthor show up another time. What is Lucas up to? I have a feeling he'd really irritate Tess, and Oliver would definitely not be having any of it.

5. John Jones.
Especially if Martha Kent can't come back, it'd be great to have John Jones, the Martian Manhunter back in a series regular capacity. Jones has an air of authority to him which I like, and Phil Morris is not only one of the best actors to guest on the show; he's also one of Smallville's biggest supporters. I have a feeling Dr. Emil Hamilton might be stepping in to be the authoritative exposition-giver, and I know he has his fans, but John Jones is much cooler, at least in my book.

4. A Better Send-Off For Lana.
I got into Smallville because I'm a fan of the comics. And although at various times the comics have played with the Super-Lana idea, my preferred version of Lana Lang is "the ordinary girl who represented Clark's past who was left behind." Also, the way Lana was left at the end of "Requiem" makes anyone else in Clark's future feel like second choice, and although I promised no relationship stuff in here and I'm sticking by that, I think that's unfair to any future potential Clark suitors.

3. Bring Back Geoff Johns!
I loved having one of DC Comics' best writers doing an episode, and I'd love to see him tackling another guest hero. (Booster Gold, perhaps?) Of course, I definitely wouldn't have a problem with another Legion appearance, either. Mon-El or Conner Kent - also both recently handled by Johns in the comics - would also be welcome. Or how would Johns write the version of Bart? The possibilities are endless.

2. Bruce Wayne.
Yeah, I said it. As keen as Metallo or Zod may be to some people, I think there's only one major gimmick that could get EVERYONE to tune in - even considering the Friday move - and that would be an appearance by the future Batman, Bruce Wayne. I know DC and Warner Bros. have their restrictions to which I ask "why?" The Batman of The Dark Knight is not the same Batman of The Brave and the Bold. So why can't a TV incarnation exist? If Bruce Wayne can't show up, give us the next best thing - Diana Prince aka Wonder Woman. It's not like THAT movie will ever get made at this point.
(I also admit one reason why I was somewhat excited by the notion of The Graysons is because I hoped it would spin out of a Smallville episode, so we'd get a little bit of the Batman universe on SV, at least.)

And finally, the #1 thing I'd like to see in Season 9...
1. Let Clark Have Fun.
Like I said, Batman is supposed to be the moody one. Whatever happened to the Clark that would mischievously pile up the trucks of the school jocks? The Clark who showed Lana an old "drive in movie?" Heck, even the Clark who'd blow away the clouds just to play a prank. I miss that guy. So often Clark beats himself up for anything and everything that happens even if it's beyond his control.
Not in this top ten list but still very important - I do hope that if the show could potentially end with Season 9, that the show's writers and producers are made aware of it well in advance so they can wrap things up and give us the best season possible. A good Season 9 would trump a so-so Season 9 stalling to a tenth year any time. I was really worried when it seemed that 8 was it, that certain storylines would never be resolved. Now's the perfect chance. And if Season 9 is the last season... this long-time fan would be very pleased if there was a throwback to the series pilot in the finale, such as a cameo with Clark's very first "meteor freak" Jeremy Creek or another kid tied up like a scarecrow.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I agree with everything Craig said especially #1. I'm tired of the too serious tone the show has taken. I do miss the atmosphere that the earlier seasons brought. Everything was so colorful and cheery back then. Even the clothes were bright. Perhaps I should revist the old dvds...

10. Martha Kent
Eh. There. Not there. Doesn't really matter to me. I think folks need to accept that the actress wanted to move on and be done with it. Would fans still want Martha Kent back if she needed to be played by a different actress?

9. Heroes Being Heroes
A big amen to this!

8. Consistency
While I agree with the point about Lois in a picture with the Dalai Lama one week and not being able to get into a press gala the next, I also know that hurdles such as these are often necessary to the plot. Consistency on this level isn't glaring enough for me to put in a top 10 list. Look how inconsistent the use of Kryptonite is - and it's not just SV that takes liberties with it.

7. Don't tease us with Lex unless Michael Rosenbaum is going to come back.
This makes me laugh because I'm sure nobody wants Rosenbaum back more than the producers themselves. Two facts need to be acknowledged here however:
1. Rosenbaum apparently is not interested in returning to the show at this time, and
2. Lex Luthor is part of the Superman mythos. Moreover, Luthor is a major part of the Smallville mythos.
So the producer's choices are to either use a body double or don't show Luthor at all. Either way, fans will still be reminded of Lex Luthor's presence - or lack thereof.

6. The Other Luthor.
Really? In a top 10 list? Lucas was one and done years ago. Even Alicia got more face time than him. Lets move on.

5. John Jones.
I'd move this up the list to #2. Nuf said.

4. A Better Send-Off For Lana.
No, just NO! Please, no more Lana. Stop trying to fix something that's irrevocably broke. The producers deluded themselves into thinking they gave Lana a respectful, hero's send off and then asked the fans to buy into their abomination. Attempting yet another "correction" to Lana's story at this point will only serve as an admonition that they made the biggest epic fail in SV history. Let. It. DIE!!!!

Works for me. I wouldn't put it as #3, but I'm not against it at all.

2. Bruce Wayne.
Craig, honey, I think you have a better chance of seeing Tom Welling play Superman in a film directed by Steven Spielberg before the Brother's Warner allow Bruce Wayne in any form on SV. Just sayin'. :)

1. Let Clark Have Fun.
Agreed. They were going in this direction at the start of S8, which made it so heartbreaking to see them undo it halfway into the season. Lets try again, shall we? More lighthearted moments for Clark & Co in S9!

I could certainly do with less of Clark's self-pitying guilt complex.

I could certainly do with less of Clark's self-pitying guilt complex.

See.... I dont see it like that. I see it as Clark believing that its his responsibility to fix everything and save everyone and isnt that Superman.

What I do think happens though, is that so many disasters come about as a consequence of Clark's decision and thought process and other characters badgering him in to doing what they think he should rather than what he believes he should and this then comes across as guilt. "I should have listened to you, I shouldn't have listened to you, blah, blah, blah."

Let him make his decisions and keep everyone else's business out of it, or give him Lois to bounce his thoughts around with, 'cause she thinks like he does.

6 is stupid. We havent seen Lucas for six years, why the hell would we want him back now?

I'm okay with most of the ideas Craig has listed, with a few exceptions.

I would be thrilled to see Martha (AO) make an appearance, or at least to hear a line referencing her now and then.

Lucas? No thanks. Never even missed him.

I'd like to have both John Jones and Dr. Emil around semi- or regularly.

Lana. (pause for giggle :oldrazz:). I do agree with the general notion of a better closing note for Lana's character than what they did, but not for the same reasoning that Craig does. I'd love to see her make a cameo appearance in the series finale - Supersuit powers somehow miraculously worn off, and contentedly making a life for herself in Smallville. Clark will be firmly in the Soulmate!Lois camp by then, and they can show him not even considering a reconciliation with Lana. Not now at least. *eg*
But yeah, I won't hold my breath for it.

Bruce Wayne... Diana? If only. As much as we've always joked about it, I do think that all bets are off with the current upheaval with Warner's and the Superman character. Who knows what could possibly happen? Even on Smallville - The little show that could. :up:

Smiling, fun Clark is always a joy to see. But I'm okay with grown-up, serious, feeling-the-weight-of-the-world, Clark too. A nice balance of the two is what I hope to see them achieve.

I read craig's post a few days ago. I agree with most of them too. I do wish we could have bruce but i fully understand wb's whole reason there. Atless give us diana a ww film in all likely hood isnt going to happen within the next few yrs. so what would really be the harm in it. It would give the chacter more exposure and get more people interested in the character. Lana i agree dont want to see her again at most just in series finale for a small spot. As for martha i would love to see her apear again though that is more likely to happen in series finale if at all.

I loved having one of DC Comics' best writers doing an episode, and I'd love to see him tackling another guest hero. (Booster Gold, perhaps?)

This list has given me the one thing I want to see in season 9...Booster Gold in Smallville.

Imagine, if you will, a scene in Clark's barn. Booster (having recently arrived from the future) pulls Clark to his side and says "Say it with me now: BOOSTER GOLD COMES TO SMALLVILLE! Just imagine the possibilities!"

booster would be an interesting character to see thrown into smallville's world.

I have to say the only one I don't care for is #6, I didn't like it the first time and a second time I would probaly be like really, they couldn't come up with anything better. As for having a propper send of for Lana, I'm all for it if they can some how bring her back around to the season 1 or 2 Lana. But I thought the breakup video was good enough for the Lana that we ended up with. And I would also like a good reason why they can't do Wonder Woman on Smallville. I have to agree that I don't see WB doing a WW movie anytime soon. This would be a great follow up to the WW cartoon if they're not gonna do a movie. All in all the guy has a pretty solid top 10 list for SV, I would replace #6 with something else, maybe something to do with Chloe in a positive way.

well craig is a pretty good guy. I always liked his stuff he has to say about smallville. I was glad when i stumbled across that site around the middle of the first season.

I think I stumbled around his site the summer in between season 1 and season 2. I felt I had hit the jackpot with all the spoilers but I kind of miss not knowing what will happen and being surprised. Too bad I don't have much will power.

I know Craig will never alienate his fanbase but he should have added make the show foucsed on Clark Kent. Anytime the show starts doing main storylines on other characters it's epic fail.

I agree with most his points. Batman is sort of pointless and a waste at the #2 pick(since we know it will never happen). While I have no problems with Lucas as well it shouldn't be #6 on the list if he wants to put it there(that more a #10 type thing).

This list has given me the one thing I want to see in season 9...Booster Gold in Smallville.

Imagine, if you will, a scene in Clark's barn. Booster (having recently arrived from the future) pulls Clark to his side and says "Say it with me now: BOOSTER GOLD COMES TO SMALLVILLE! Just imagine the possibilities!"
I want Geoff John to write Mon-el/Lar Gand appearing on Smallville! It could be awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"