The Odyssey - 'Hunger Games' Team Taking on Homer's Epic

At least they aren't planning a "greek mytholgoy cinematic universe"...

But the Greek myths would actually work as a universe wouldn't they?

knowing hollywood, it'll be mishandled. The Avengers universe WORKED because...(drum roll) they're superheroes from...(drumroll) Marvel.

For a Robin Hood universe, I can't picture going through Little John and Will Scarlett movies to get to the eventual Merry Men Assembled(TM).

Last edited:
After-credits stinger from Robin Hood: Origins.

KING RICHARD: "Robin of Locksley? I'd like to talk to you about The Merry Men Initiative."

I'd love to see Sean Bean return as Odysseus, but since this movie won't have anything to do with Troy I doubt it's going to happen. :(

A greek mythology cinematic universe would actualy work, but not with Marvel's way, it would work if they made Odyssey now, then 2 years later made something like the Illiad, then 2 years later made Hercules, etc.

It would work if they focused on one film at a time and did it more like a series of one-shot stories. Many years ago, this would be considered just a film series, but nowadays it's technicaly a shared universe of single stories.

Either way, just hope this film's good, but i wonder how they'll keep Odysseus sympatetic when he [BLACKOUT]arrives home and then locks and starts killing his wife's suitors.[/BLACKOUT] Nowadays we have a different opinion regarding heroes.

Argonauts assemble!

Jason- nothing makes sense. I'm fighting skeleton warriors while a siren sings outside. You walk out those doors you're an "Argonaut"

Hercules-for Zeus sake. Watch the language

I doubt they will get Sean Bean. I think they will probably cast some young Australian dude like Jai Cortney or Liam Hemsworth

Lets face it, a guy coming home after many, many years and finding 100 guys trying to shag his wife and killing them all is totally a Sean Bean type of role.

Ulysses would ideally be in his late 40's or early 50's. We are talking about an already mature man when he embarks for the Trojan wars. They took a decade and then he took roughly a decade more to wander back. And coupled with a young man as a son, Ulysses is a role for an older mature actor. Not a young pin-up boy. I hope the film-makers get this.

Also I see Odyssey is a melancholy thoughtful tale, not necessarily an adventure story.

And also this, the in media res structure (starting the story in the middle) has to be kept. It is one of the defining features of the epic. I wonder if there's need for 2 films. There certainly can be material mined out of the epic but again not as a summer tent pole but as a mature character drama where people have epiphanies and not action scenes in the final scheme of things.

Lets face it, a guy coming home after many, many years and finding 100 guys trying to shag his wife and killing them all is totally a Sean Bean type of role.

It's as the Gods intended.

Ulysses would ideally be in his late 40's or early 50's. We are talking about an already mature man when he embarks for the Trojan wars. They took a decade and then he took roughly a decade more to wander back. And coupled with a young man as a son, Ulysses is a role for an older mature actor. Not a young pin-up boy. I hope the film-makers get this.

Also I see Odyssey is a melancholy thoughtful tale, not necessarily an adventure story.

And also this, the in media res structure (starting the story in the middle) has to be kept. It is one of the defining features of the epic. I wonder if there's need for 2 films. There certainly can be material mined out of the epic but again not as a summer tent pole but as a mature character drama where people have epiphanies and not action scenes in the final scheme of things.

Realy? I actualy found Odyssey to be realy adventurous, more so than the Illiad, even the way he handled the suitors by first appearing in disguise was kinda playful. I didn't find it very melancholic, Odysseus himself got to enjoy something Greek heroes were able to: Both to be immortalized in the battlefields as a hero and to live the rest of his life in peace with his family.

I may be mistaken, but isn't the Illiad usualy considered a more serious tale than Odyssey?

I guess the difference is in the reading. Both are serious. The Iliad is a war epic. And the Odyssey is a journey epic. Written as they were in those times, the two epics as they were composed actually have little subtext or psychological insight - these works were composed millennia before the genre of writing that we know as novels today was invented. But if you were to read them from a modern perspective and apply some psycho analysis on what you are reading, they read as kinda melancholy tales of disillusionment, specifically the odyssey.

I see the ending of the odyssey as a great compromise, an uneasy ending where nobody is actually fulfilled or satisfied.

Atleast that is how I see it. The epics seem like they would lend themselves better to Pasolini style adaptations of Greek literature rather than Hollywood tentpoles. I think done as Hollywood tentpoles, the odyssey would end up like Wrath of the Titans or some other such rubbish blockbuster.

I guess the difference is in the reading. Both are serious. The Iliad is a war epic. And the Odyssey is a journey epic. Written as they were in those times, the two epics as they were composed actually have little subtext or psychological insight - these works were composed millennia before the genre of writing that we know as novels today was invented. But if you were to read them from a modern perspective and apply some psycho analysis on what you are reading, they read as kinda melancholy tales of disillusionment, specifically the odyssey.

I see the ending of the odyssey as a great compromise, an uneasy ending where nobody is actually fulfilled or satisfied.

Atleast that is how I see it. The epics seem like they would lend themselves better to Pasolini style adaptations of Greek literature rather than Hollywood tentpoles. I think done as Hollywood tentpoles, the odyssey would end up like Wrath of the Titans or some other such rubbish blockbuster.

If you apply a modern day perspective yeah, the stories are a little melancholic, but i always interpreted that during those times, these stories were told as adventurous and what real heroes are like, the part where Odysseus proves to his wife who he is seems to me like a book end "happily ever after".

I'm probably wrong, my knowledge regarding the Illiad and the Odyssey is very limited

How many hours do you need for this story?

For these epics, 2 hours are generaly needed in the very least, that said, it always depends on the execution, while it's not a greek myth, i think Moses adaptations can be used as an example, Exodus: Gods and Kings was 150 minutes long but the flow of the story felt contrived and the movie didn't realy work, with the motivations of the characters also being all over the place, on the other hand, Prince of Egypt was less than 100 minutes long and executed the same story very well, there were even some great moments between the characters.

It also depends on the elements they want to focus on.

Last edited:
You just know it's going to be one of the following:

Jai Courtney
Taylor Kitsch ("There's still time to make him happen!" - Hollywood)
Chris Hemsworth (or Liam if they're on a budget)
Armie Hammer
Gerard Butler
Charlie Hunnam

Gerard Butler at 45 years is the only age appropriate casting out of these. And I think personally he could be very good in this role. He can surely played a great ancient hero as he did in 300. And he could pass off as the father of a 20 year old. He's also still in incredible shape.

The others would be all too young.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"