The Odyssey - 'Hunger Games' Team Taking on Homer's Epic

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://deadline.com/2015/04/the-ody...awrence-peter-craig-nina-jacobson-1201406441/
Lionsgate And ‘The Hunger Games’ Architects Take On Homer’s ‘The Odyssey’
by Mike Fleming Jr

EXCLUSIVE: Finishing this fall with The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2, Lionsgate is developing a grand-scale retelling of history’s greatest voyage home, Homer’s The Odyssey. To accomplish this epic, Lionsgate has enlisted Francis Lawrence to direct, Peter Craig to write and Nina Jacobson to produce. Lawrence directed three of the four Hunger Games films, Craig co-scripted the two installments of Mockingjay, and Jacobson and her Color Force have shepherded the franchise from the very beginning. Lawrence also helmed I Am Legend and Craig co-wrote The Town with Ben Affleck.

Lionsgate has put this on a fast track. The plan is to begin production early next year, right after the filmmakers complete promotion of Mockingjay – Part 2, which will be released November 20. Lawrence has committed to make this his next project. Motion Picture Group co-president Erik Feig is overseeing this with exec production veep Jim Miller and development director James Myers. The project took root when Feig pitched it to Lawrence in Paris while they worked on the Hunger Games finale.

The epic has been done several times by Hollywood in films and TV, either directly or indirectly. Kirk Douglas starred in the 1954 film Ulysses, and films from Tim Burton’s Big Fish to Joel and Ethan Coen’s O Brother, Where Are Thou were said to be inspired by Homer’s famed poem about a long voyage home after the conclusion of the Trojan War.

CAA and 3 Arts rep Lawrence, Craig is repped by CAA and Management 360.
Intrigued.

But, can it top this?

[YT]G2ApjC25ZFc[/YT]

I'd love for someone to finally get this right. Greek myth is ripe for great modern film adaptations.

Have lots of gods and monsters!

Cast Sean Bean, reprising his role from Troy.

I'd love for someone to finally get this right. Greek myth is ripe for great modern film adaptations.
If done right, this could be the best fantasy film ever made.

Francis can do some epic visuals, I won't front on that.

Bring back Sean Bean! Unlkely, I know, but I can dream.

I just hope Lionsgate doesnt try to make this some Young Adult Odyssey-lite with a twenty-something-year-old Odysseus and his quest for his home where awaits his beautiful perfect twenty-something-year-old wife.

Oh no. His homecoming should be a bloodbath.

Bring back Sean Bean! Unlkely, I know, but I can dream.

I just hope Lionsgate doesnt try to make this some Young Adult Odyssey-lite with a twenty-something-year-old Odysseus and his quest for his home where awaits his beautiful perfect twenty-something-year-old wife.

I agree, Sean Bean must return! Incidentally it's been just over 10 years since Troy came out in 2004, which is the amount of time that his character's journey home is supposed to take.

Considering Odyssseus' son is supposed to be a twentysomething in the story, I'd hope the filmmakers wouldn't make that mistake. ;)

Last edited:
I agree, Sean Bean must return! Incidentally it's been just over 10 years since Troy came out in 2004, which is the amount of time that his character's journey home is supposed to take.

Considering Odyssseus' son is supposed to be a twentysomething in the story, I'd hope the filmmakers wouldn't make that mistake. ;)

Not to mention that the siege of troy lasts 10 years so if they make Odysseus too young it won't make a lick of sense to anyone who has any knowledge of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey. But I'm afraid this will be marketed towards young adults and teens first and foremost and they aren't that likely to know a whole lot about the story this film is based on which gives lionsgate a dangerous amount of room to "tweak" the story.

This thing will probably end up being a trilogy with the final film being split in two.

Wolfgang Petersen back (atleast as producer) - would it be too much to hope for?

I'm cautiously optimistic but I like this idea. :up:

Wolfgang Petersen back (atleast as producer) - would it be too much to hope for?

Francis Lawrence is directing this and Nina Jacobson is producing. Peterson's Troy film was a WB film. This film is from Lionsgate. Lionsgate won't be making this a sequel to another studio's film.

No, you might be thinking of Jason and the Argonauts.

If Hercules was in the Trojan War it would probably be over in two days. :woot:

Yes. To my knowledge Hercules lived around 75 years or so before the start of the Trojan War and he was apart one of the Argonauts.

I could be wrong.

Lionsgate Plans "The Odyssey" Franchise

By Garth Franklin Friday May 22nd 2015 06:24AM
Along with discussing a potential third film in the "Now You See Me" franchise, Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer revealed during an earnings call on Friday that plans are underway for another major franchise that the studio hopes to launch.
Last month it was revealed that Lionsgate will develop a film version of Homer's classic 8th century B.C. tale "The Odyssey". The story centers on Odysseus and his legendary journey home after the fall of Troy.
Much of the team behind "The Hunger Games: Mockingjay" films are involved in the same capacities here including director Francis Lawrence, producer Nina Jacobson and co-writer Peter Craig.
In Feltheimer's call though, it has been revealed that their plan has been expanded into a potential franchise and that Lawrence's deal "contemplates more than one movie".
Source: THR

This should be cool, Lawrence is more of a journeyman director, but a good one.

I'll echo the love for bringing back Sean Bean.

I'm praying that this is good. I need some good Greek Mythology films to wash the bad taste of Clash/War of the Titans out of my mouth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"