Creator Bout 1: Battle of the Brits part 1 Moore vs Gaiman

This thread was just starting to get interesting again, and then it died. So...

Bump

Gaiman by default. I've never actually read anything by Moore shocking as that may seem. The plots to his stories seem very interesting but every time I flip through a tpb of V for Vendetta or Watchmen I'm not grabbed. Maybe I should just sit down and seriously read it. I must admit, The Sandman didn't blow me away the first time I flipped through it either...and now I think it's one of the best if not the best comic series ever made. I guess the same could happen to me with Moore's work if I gave it more of a chance.

Sandman138 said:
Go back and read the articles, and definatly read the pirate comic sequences. I skipped over them and when I reached the end I wanted to kick myself for it. Watchmen expresses a bunch of ideas about the nature of the hero in different forms from different points of view. They do seem to slam the breaks on when you're interested in just figuring out who-dunnit, but that's not Watchmen's real story, or I should say, the mystery is one level but it cannot simply be solved by finding the "culprit". You start to realize as you get closer and closer to the end how much all these seemingly unrelated archs are actually moving in parrallel towards an inevitable conclusion that can only be reconciled if you can see the story from each vantage point. Trust me, the ending is not nearly as satisfying if you skip over those seeming interuptions. I know it can seem tedious, but it's definatly worth it.
Thanks! I might as well just start from the beggining again... :( It has NEVER taken me this long to get through a graphic novel like this. Oh well. I really liked V for Vendetta more than I'm liking Watchmen so far though. I loved the whole idea of it. The movie was pretty cool too. :up:

I recently re-read Watchmen, and I've gotta say, it's one hell of a ride. Still a very great comic. Just like the Sandman a tad more.

Mr. Green said:
Thanks! I might as well just start from the beggining again... :( It has NEVER taken me this long to get through a graphic novel like this. Oh well. I really liked V for Vendetta more than I'm liking Watchmen so far though. I loved the whole idea of it. The movie was pretty cool too. :up:
yup. I don't think anyone writes comics denser than moore does

Because that's not what put Neil on the map...as good as it is.

Xofenroht said:
Because that's not what put Neil on the map...as good as it is.

True, but neither did Books Of Magic or Stardust and they have been brought up.

Sandman138 said:
True, but neither did Books Of Magic or Stardust and they have been brought up.

You have a point, but I've never heard of A) Mr. Punch getting the media attention Books of Magic did once Harry Potter took off (we all know why) or B) Mr. Punch being made into a film with a high profile cast.
Basically, Mr. Punch is one of the last things general people think of when someone mentions Neil Gaiman. (You and I on the other hand are not included in that "general people" lump).

Moore gives us better comics - He gave us Miracleman and the Watchmen for christs sake.

Neils abilities have translated better into other mediums. I loved American Gods as a novel and enjoyed the nineties TV adaptation of Neverwhere. All adaptations of Alans works have fallen unsuprisingly short of the mark. He's such a damn tough act to get right probably because his works transcend the genre on their own.

:supes: - Whirly

Gaiman, for sure.

I mean, Dream is Head Emo Freak of of Emoland which can get kind of annoying, but there's no denying the unique and uncomparable skill from which Gaiman crafts his stories. Not just writes, but crafts.

I recently read "The Dream Hunters," his collab prose with Yo****aka Amano, and it was simply one of the most exquisite things I've ever seen.

I love it when Japanese names get censored :D

What the mushroom?? I didn't even see that. So much for Yof**kaka.

Alan moore is the greater comic book writer and propobly the greatest since he wrote some of the greatest in comics. but neil is better all in all as a writer since he is critically acclaimed not only in the comic medium but in other mediums as well

antonydelfini said:
Alan moore is the greater comic book writer and propobly the greatest since he wrote some of the greatest in comics. but neil is better all in all as a writer since he is critically acclaimed not only in the comic medium but in other mediums as well
But Gaiman has written some of the greatest in comics as well, so he could probably be the greatest too.

Harlekin said:
But Gaiman has written some of the greatest in comics as well, so he could probably be the greatest too.

yeah harlekin you made my point. that was actually what i was trying to point out with my post but it did not read like that. poor writing on my part.

I would say Moore by a tiny tiny bit.

I really like both, but think if you take the breadth of Moores work into account it does it for me

The only thing of Gaiman's that I've read in 1602, which was a lot of fun, but I'd probably give it to Moore anyway.

Of Moore's work, I've read Watchmen, both volumes of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Supreme, and the assorted stories contained in DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore (most notably "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?", "For The Man Who Has Everything", and "The Killing Joke"). Watchmen, Supreme, and the two big Superman stories are my favourites. His work is just incredible; in particular, I can still remember the emotions that the Rorschach and Doctor Manhattan chapters of Watchmen evoked when I read then.

IF you've read that much Moore, you really should get around to Sandman

I've considered it, but I don't like the art at all (same problem I had with The Dark Knight Returns).

Sandman has such a myriad of artists that you are bound to find one that you like. Personally, I think all of the art in the series is some of the best in comics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"