CW's airport battle vs BvS' Batman and Superman fight

For me the best superhero fight scene belongs to the Incredibles. But CW ain't bad. :cwink:

It was Batman's draw a line in the sand moment in which he was going to take Superman on, you knew watching the film that this was the climax of the Batman/Superman angle that the rest of the movie had been moving erratically towards before the 2 turned there eye to Lex.
And why does this matter in and out of context of the movie? Like the final act of FF was built towards a battle with Doom. Didn't really matter though.

In Civil War, it was Tony drawing a line in the sand. One built around actual logic in the film.

And why does this matter in and out of context of the movie? Like the final act of FF was built towards a battle with Doom. Didn't really matter though.

In Civil War, it was Tony drawing a line in the sand. One built around actual logic in the film.

I've not seen FF.

You knew watching Civil War that the airport scene was not going to be Iron Man nor Captain America's climactic line in the sand moment or at least I did anyway I can't speak for you. I knew watching the movie full well that they'll maybe fight here for a few punches & kicks, but we'll see another fight in 10 minutes that will really be the fight that matters.

I don't see why it matters if you knew it would or would not be the climax fight. I knew the train battle between Spider-Man and Doc Ock was not going to be their last because Ock still had MJ prisoner somewhere. But that didn't stop it from being one of the greatest CBM fights ever.

I've not seen FF.

You knew watching Civil War that the airport scene was not going to be Iron Man nor Captain America's climactic line in the sand moment or at least I did anyway I can't speak for you. I knew watching the movie full well that they'll maybe fight here for a few punches & kicks, but we'll see another fight in 10 minutes that will really be the fight that matters.
The climax isn't a drawing of lines in the sand. It is a trainwreck of a human being finally falling off a cliff when pushed to his emotional limit. It is raw, unadulterated emotion from Tony. Something Cap understands. Tony is so gone he thinks Cap would actually kill him. So it isn't Tony making a decision.

Considering Lex and the fact that Martha needs rescuing, did you not know you'd see more fights in BvS?

Both are fun (in different ways), but both suffer from poor set-up, and they both feel contrived.

The Civil War airport fight scene is vastly superior, because:

a. You can actually see it; and
b. You don't have to completely switch off your brain to appreciate it like you do with the BvS scene, even one of my best friends who has never picked up a comic in her life turned to me and said something along the lines of, "If Superman is so strong, why doesn't he just physically restrain Batman and explain to him what happened with Lex and his mom? Then this whole stupid fight could have been avoided, right?" Precisely. The whole set up is ridiculously contrived and idiotic.

I don't see why it matters if you knew it would or would not be the climax fight. I knew the train battle between Spider-Man and Doc Ock was not going to be their last because Ock still had MJ prisoner somewhere. But that didn't stop it from being one of the greatest CBM fights ever.

Well it matters because, to go back to my original post, the airport battle between the 2 factions didn't feel that important. It felt too relaxed, jovial if that's the right word/way to describe it. Aside from the fact we can probably both agree it is cool to see the heroes fighting among themselves on the big screen, if we take away the 'cool factor' was it a good fight or action sequence? I don't think it is, to be clear the same statement would stand for Batman vs Superman's fight as well. Even if we strip away the context of both scenes & look at them both strictly as fight/action scenes only, neither of them are particularly memorable IMO.

Even ignoring the story aspect behind the fight, the BvS fight is poor spectacle. It is obvious that Batman doesn't stand a chance against Superman at all - once Superman recovers from the first Kryptonite grenade, you clearly see Batman's punches having no effect. But a fight where Batman is one-sidedly put in his place by an alien godlike character in a 1v1 situation within milliseconds isn't going to make for much of a fight. Factoring in the story element, well... Superman eventually deciding that teaching Batman some manners was more important than prioritizing the safety of his mother who he knows is on a time limit didn't help.

I don't like the airport fight much either; I VASTLY prefer the final battle with Cap and Bucky vs Iron Man.

Even ignoring the story aspect behind the fight, the BvS fight is poor spectacle. It is obvious that Batman doesn't stand a chance against Superman at all - once Superman recovers from the first Kryptonite grenade, you clearly see Batman's punches having no effect. But a fight where Batman is one-sidedly put in his place by an alien godlike character in a 1v1 situation within milliseconds isn't going to make for much of a fight. Factoring in the story element, well... Superman eventually deciding that teaching Batman some manners was more important than prioritizing the safety of his mother who he knows is on a time limit didn't help.

I don't like the airport fight much either; I VASTLY prefer the final battle with Cap and Bucky vs Iron Man.

I feel the same, the Iron Man vs Cap/Bucky is a far better fight scene than both BvS & the CW Airport scene IMO.

I find the post that started this poll hilarious but I expect nothing more from some DCEU fans. There is just a type of fan that if Marvel and DC put out candy bars and Marvel's tasted like a Snickers bar and DC's tasted like cow dung, they would say that the DC candy bar is a masterpiece and all of our taste buds just aren't developed enough to appreciate the taste of poo and that mixing caramel and peanuts is just kiddie stuff.

Note: I am sure that there are Marvel fans that are the same but I don't visit the Marvel threads that much so.

BvS' Batman and Superman fight was the worst possibly way when you compare it to The Dark Knight Return Part 2.The animeted fight was superior than live action fight by miles.

so yes civil war.

I find the post that started this poll hilarious but I expect nothing more from some DCEU fans. There is just a type of fan that if Marvel and DC put out candy bars and Marvel's tasted like a Snickers bar and DC's tasted like cow dung, they would say that the DC candy bar is a masterpiece and all of our taste buds just aren't developed enough to appreciate the taste of poo and that mixing caramel and peanuts is just kiddie stuff.

Note: I am sure that there are Marvel fans that are the same but I don't visit the Marvel threads that much so.

There was a pretty vocal (albeit much smaller) group that acted out after Iron Fist dropped. Same excuses and piss poor attitudes as you find among the DCEU diehards, too. But really, it's nothing we haven't seen before. The TASM boards were very similar, and so was the very short lived FFINO fan base. I guess the lesson here is that a fandom's misery and misconduct is commensurate with the quality of the movies (or shows, books, etc.) they've devoted themselves to. If the MCU ever crashes and burns, I expect it to happen there, too.

Batman v Superman fight was so good that the whole movie was marketed as this epic clash of Man v God, and we get a 5 minute (and completely unbalanced) fight scene that ends with Punisherman being best friends because Martha lol

Batman vs. Superman fight's dumb logic left everyone scratching their heads.

Batman v Superman fight was so good that the whole movie was marketed as this epic clash of Man v God, and we get a 5 minute (and completely unbalanced) fight scene that ends with Punisherman being best friends because Martha lol

I still don't understand what the hell they were thinking.

We need these two guys to fight, even it requires making one a sullen moron and the other a homicidal maniac.

To be honest the better comparison would have been Batman fights Superman against Tony fights Cap and Bucky......except that it's no comparison really because all the action sequences in Civil War are better than anything in Batman v Superman, except Batman vs Luthor's goons - that was pretty kick-ass, and very satisfying, but otherwise Snyder surprisingly underwhelmed.

Of course, the biggest problem with B v S is that Snyder utterly fails to get the audience emotionally invested in any of those fights (again, except the Batman v Goons fight) so really, we don't care that much.

The Russos manage the exact opposite in Civil War - and manage to make the airport fight feel tonally different than the final confrontation. One is a brawl where no one is trying to seriously hurt anyone else, while the other is about rage and betrayal and has a mix of emotions and motivations (Tony trying to kill Bucky, and just beat up Cap, Cap trying to disable but not harm Tony, Bucky trying to escape).

All in all the airport fight is spectacular, satisfying and engaging, while Batman fighting Superman is underwhelming, one-sided and has one of the worst resolutions of any cbm.

All this of course is just my opinion, but clearly I am not alone in thinking so.

Snyder is better when he isn't allowed/can't use CGI to create messy blurry visual noise.

I still don't understand what the hell they were thinking.

WB, when asked what they were thinking with that scene (amongst other ideas and things they've allowed to happen in the DCEU)

tumblr_n0egbwujyI1ruqqm0o1_500.gif

Th thing about the BvS titular fight is that it showed beyond a shadow of a doubt which hero Snyder favors. Instead of trying to show the strengths of both heroes and try to make it as plausible as possible, the fight was a showcase for Batmanonly. Batman had the cool lines in the fight, Batman dragged Superman like Achilles dragged Paris in troy like a mythical hero, Batman tossed him around the columns like a ragdoll and humilated. Superman never really shined in that fight because Snyder didn't want him to. He wanted him dragged and shamed.

Forget the "plot induced stupidity". Forget the ridiculous Martha moment.

Just on a purely visual and visceral level, the Batman vs Superman fight was hugely underwhelming. It was just so pedestrian and unimaginative and boring. There wasn't even a great "money shot" moment. The only good part of it was when Batman was punching Superman then the Kryptonite wore off.

The airport fight was kinda corny and a bit contrived. But it had heaps of imagination and some great individual character moments to go along with the visuals.

The best action scene out of both movies was Stark vs Rogers and Bucky though. Visually and emotionally engaging.

As someone who absolutely doesn't get the love for the airport battle, I'm still voting for it because, as a general rule, I prefer my heroes to act like actual heroes and rational beings rather than like... Snyder's Batman and Superman.

Is it me, or Snyder stole a scene from The Incredible Hulk, where Superman destroys sound cannons?

I'm not crazy for the airport battle, I think the stairway and the tunnel chase felt more exciting and story-driven, but it's far more imaginative than anything in BvS indeed. Even though I admire Snyder for making Batman use anti-firearms gadgets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"