• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dan Slott =/= farmernudie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JewishHobbit

Avenger
Reaction score
Post 759

And my post in the Spider-Man sales whatever forum:

I just read this as well.

While I personally don't care that he had a separate screen name, and assumed he did, to play off the people who are upset about OMD in mockery was completely tasteless. While I didn't like the new Spider-Man direction, I never had any problems with Dan Slott himself, having been such a fan of the Initiative as I was, but this really makes me think less of him. This kinda puts him in the same category as Quesada for me, a Marvel employee who mocks fans who doesn't agree with him, and due to that I highly doubt I'll care as much about anything he writes from here on out because obviously he doesn't give a lick about fans who disagree with him to the point to where he'll go out of his way to mock them. My only regret is that this came out a week after Mighty Avengers finished, or I'd have no problem dropping that book. I was only hanging onto it for my love of Young Avengers and because I liked Dan Slott. Stature wasnt enough to keep me on her own though.

Upstanding guy there, Dan :down:

Here's what I posted elsewhere.

Bwahahahaha!

:O

I know on some level I should take offense at this. But, I mean, for all I know TMOB is Stan the Man (wich explains his Ultimate Hatred), and Gambit8370 is Joe Quesada.

I do find it kind of funny that I spent so much time defending BND, and fighting with farmer. So I was actually fighting with Dan? About Dan? With me defending Dan, and Dan attacking himself? Wow, that's warped.

A few other stray thoughts:

If DS had done this but been having farmernudie take the sympathetic view of BND, I'd imagine this would have caused a great deal more, uh, consternation.

I don't really see the point of it, other than a little catharsis on DS' part.

Seeing as almost every single person on these forums is anonymous, and frquently use that fact to engage in bad behaviour, I don't really see why I should hold him to any higher of a standard.

Did DS and farmer ever get into heated arguments? I seem to recall that they did, but I can't remember. If they did, I want to know who won.

Anyway, I hope farmernudie comes by for an encore post.

One other stray thought: the one thing I don't like about what he did is this: I've been "accused" (which is a strange word, because I would give my left cajone for it to be the case) of working for Marvel because of defending something JQ has done or whatnot. I can only imagine that a revelation like that will cause those kind of things to happen again.

My thing is... I dont' care that Dan Slott has the farmernudie screen name. In fact, I assumed he did have a side screen name and I probably would have one myself if I were anyone of importance. Sometimes it's nice to just be a part of a community without any baggage (I'd imagine). You know, I was cool with that.

It's that he pretended to be an OMD basher the whole time, getting people on his side, building arguments, etc. I mean, was he just trying to cause controversy to get people to read the book? I'd imagine he likely has another name on her like he does over there to be pro-OMD. Was he mocking Anti-OMD fans for our irrational hatred of the treatment of the character? I mean, either way it's a pretty crappy thing to do, especially the last thing. It's the only thing that makes sense to me to be honest.

I mean, I dont wish death upon the guy or anything, but from a professional level, he's dropped to about zero on my respect scale. At least Quesada has the defense of being the boss who has to make the tough decisions. Dan Slott doesnt even have that. He's just a writer poking fun at those people who could potentially be paying his rent.

Last edited:
Heh, something I hadn't thought about until just now. There's a lot of Dan Slott hate at my local comic shop. I never really understood why and even defended him a time or two against the owner, other workers, and other customers. Like I said, despite my feelings about Spidey, I liked Dan Slott himself and always tried to at least keep respectful regarding my OMD hate.

I can only imagine what they're going to say about this, and I certainly won't be defending him about it.

Interesting, JH. After reading your post, I went to the site in question, seeing that Dan actually outted himself. I've thought on the subject for a little while now...and, simply have come to the conclusion that it's not that big of a deal for me. The only thing that matters is the comics I read; and, as long as Dan writes good stories, what he posts (or anyone for that matter posts) on various message boards matters very little.

You must tell me where your avatar is from, JH:cmad:

Oh, and I don't care, but that's because I really don't remember what posts farmernudie made. Like iloveclones said, it was probably cathartic for him.

Interesting, JH. After reading your post, I went to the site in question, seeing that Dan actually outted himself. I've thought on the subject for a little while now...and, simply have come to the conclusion that it's not that big of a deal for me. The only thing that matters is the comics I read; and, as long as Dan writes good stories, what he posts (or anyone for that matter posts) on various message boards matters very little.

Yeah, exactly. I'm not going to skip watching Inglourious Basterds just because Brad Pitt broke Jennifer's, and by extension my, heart:csad:

I actually have no idea what my avatar is from. I saw it in the Gif thread and ask someone to turn it into an avatar for me. I've actually looked around a little but couldn't find where it's from.

Phaedrus45 said:

For me, it's not necessarilly the quality of his books as much as my not wanting to support someone who would go out of his way to mock the opinions of myself and people like me. But that goes for anything in life. If someone mocked my faith, my family, my thoughts in any way, etc.... I wouldn't befriend or do anything to support them. So that goes here as well. It's a respect thing and Dan Slott, as a professional to his clientel, lacks that respect.

I actually have no idea what my avatar is from. I saw it in the Gif thread and ask someone to turn it into an avatar for me. I've actually looked around a little but couldn't find where it's from.
Despite my hating her character oh so much on Lost, I think that is the sexiest I have seen her:o

For me, it's not necessarilly the quality of his books as much as my not wanting to support someone who would go out of his way to mock the opinions of myself and people like me. But that goes for anything in life. If someone mocked my faith, my family, my thoughts in any way, etc.... I wouldn't befriend or do anything to support them. So that goes here as well. It's a respect thing and Dan Slott, as a professional to his clientel, lacks that respect.

That would be something entirely different. But, I don't think Dan is mocking you, rather than just having some odd sense of fun. (Yeah, I don't understand it so much...but, we've all played "Devil's Advocate" from time to time. Kind of like when we would debate a character beating another in the CoMs threads, and in our heart know there is no way he/she should win.) I've never seen Dan making fun of someone in a malicious way.

Can'tThinkOfAName said:
Despite my hating her character oh so much on Lost, I think that is the sexiest I have seen her

The nerd thing does it for me every time.

That would be something entirely different. But, I don't think Dan is mocking you, rather than just having some odd sense of fun. (Yeah, I don't understand it so much...but, we've all played "Devil's Advocate" from time to time. Kind of like when we would debate a character beating another in the CoMs threads, and in our heart know there is no way he/she should win.) I've never seen Dan making fun of someone in a malicious way.

I've seen it subtley (in a kind of "it's been so many years, get over it" way). And if he did this for just a short bit, a month or less, it'd have been fun, but to carry it on for, what, four years? To build arguments.

I mean, he used 'farmernude' to help continue or build up the anti-OMD/BND crowd's arguments and then later used the whole 'get over it' routine as Dan_Slott... yeah, that's just setting up people to mock them. Whether he meant to or not, he's helping make people like me, people with convictions for characters, look bad. Yes, some of us take it too far, but the majority of us at least try to keep it civil. Playing both sides like that, and reading over some of his comments as farmernudie tells me that he's just pushing the fight along more than necessary.

Also, you see nothing wrong with secretly playing up both sides of an argument (that his real life is already a key part of), promoting arguments and dissention among an online community? It's the same equivelent of a person who causes fights among friends or family members just to see them fight. It's a crappy person who likes to cause or push along arguments and fighting.

I've seen it subtley (in a kind of "it's been so many years, get over it" way). And if he did this for just a short bit, a month or less, it'd have been fun, but to carry it on for, what, four years? To build arguments.

I mean, he used 'farmernude' to help continue or build up the anti-OMD/BND crowd's arguments and then later used the whole 'get over it' routine as Dan_Slott... yeah, that's just setting up people to mock them. Whether he meant to or not, he's helping make people like me, people with convictions for characters, look bad. Yes, some of us take it too far, but the majority of us at least try to keep it civil. Playing both sides like that, and reading over some of his comments as farmernudie tells me that he's just pushing the fight along more than necessary.

Well, it's actually only been a bit over 2 years that OMD happened; so, it sounds like farmernudie existed long before that. And, while what he was doing seems kind of juvenile, it shouldn't be taken personally, imo.

Simply put, whether it's comic book artists/writers, musicians, or sports figures, we shouldn't put these people up on pedestals. They have the same flaws as many of us, and are proned to making bone-headed moves. (And, when you compare what Dan did to the bone-headed moves of these other figures that come to mind, like Michael Vick...it's small potatoes.)

Now, what would you admire more...if Dan would have never said anything, and just let "farmernudie" die away...or, actually come forward and tell everyone what he's been doing the past few years? (To me, maybe the bigger bone-headed move is coming forward with this.)

Also, you see nothing wrong with secretly playing up both sides of an argument (that his real life is already a key part of), promoting arguments and dissention among an online community? It's the same equivelent of a person who causes fights among friends or family members just to see them fight. It's a crappy person who likes to cause or push along arguments and fighting.

I think it's more a question of how big you view the whole OMD thing. To me, when I see a storyline in comics that I hate, I might complain for a week....or at most, a few months. But, I get over it, especially if I get some decent storylines later on. In this case, I'm still surprised that people are still making such a big deal over a storyline more than two years later. (And, yes, Dan was spurring on the argument...but, he had people who would continually respond to that.)

Also, this little internet society of ours really isn't that big. His comments on that board is just a drop in the pan, so to speak. In fact, before hitting your link, I never would have known of that board. (And, generally, I stay away from the Spidey boards, because too often they just keep coming back to OMD.)

So what if the dude had some fun? At least he's responsible for a good product, unlike some of the other people cited in this thread.

Eh, sorry, this just ain't cool. This destroys the image of him I have had of him, ever since meeting him at Baltimore Comic Con. This guy who appeared to love his fans, who enjoyed their love of everything he does. That guy and this guy...they aren't one and the same.

Eh, I don't really give a s**t either way.

How do you have expectations of a person who you've only met casually and really know next to nothing about. Heck, there are many people on The Hype who I really like...but, face it, I don't really have any idea of who they are or what they're about. And, who are we to really judge, when I could name a few stupid things I've done in my life that a few people on here might cast stones at.

Dan Slott, Brian Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Paul Tobin, and so on and so on....it all comes down to the enjoyment of what they give us when we read their comics. Unless it's something truly henious, what they do for kicks during their off time is meaningless to me. (And, when you compare it to, say, what Tiger Woods did...this is really quite silly.)

Besides, if you got all butt hurt over this or Tiger Woods banging a buncha ho's, then theres obviously a gaping hole in your life. I suggest filling it with booze and hookers.

Dear Lord,
I am NOT farmernudie.

Did ANYONE read the actual post?
It was on a thread arguing whether people abuse their anonymity by hiding behind screen names-- and if we should all start using our real names instead (like myself, Steve Wacker, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek, and others do.)

As a JOKE I outed myself as TWO different screen names (farmernudie and whiteshark), BOTH of whom are ACTUALLY real people (one who is NOT enjoying the current SPIDER-MAN title, and the other who is a HUGE fan of the book).

The following couple of posters IMMEDIATELY spotted it as a joke and had fun with it. And both farmernudie and whiteshark were good sports about it. I did one or two more posts to keep the gag going-- and it KINDA showed one of my points-- that it COULD be ANYONE behind a screen name.

Some people came to the table late (like people who turned on Orson Welles' WAR OF THE WORLD'S broadcast WITHOUT hearing the disclaimer) and this thing has spread to other web-sites.

Here's the thing:
It's INSANE. Both of these guys (farmernudie and whiteshark) have been posting on CBR for YEARS and MANY, MANY OTHER SITES AS WELL. If I HAD been these TWO POSTERS while doing my OWN posts as well... There's NO WAY the timing could've worked out AT ALL. I obviously would NEVER have slept, taken ANY vacations, or had ANY time to do my frickin' JOB! Anyone with common sense would've figured this out. Oy.

The sad thing is, farmernudie likes going to a site that is (on the whole) VERY negative about the current SPIDER-MAN book, and now all of his fellow posters there have effectively shunned him because he's having a HELLUVA time convincing them that he's NOT me. :doh: I've profusely apologized to farmernudie and he has GRACIOUSLY accepted. (Thank God!) But c'mon, people. Can we all put 2 and 2 together and come up 4 already. Jesus.

I want this poor guy to have his internet-life back and happily go back to his regular bashing sessions about ASM with his regular bashing buddies. Instead of BEING the one who's gettin' bashed! He's a nice guy-- married, works in the medical field, likes Calvin & Hobbes, reads lots of Marvel Comics, and likes dishing on why he thinks my book sucks. I did NOT make him up out of the ether. Can we all give him a break?

Ohhhh, so it's a joke that got horribly out of hand......I am disappoint. :dry:

I don't think it's a big deal at all. You guys are making a big deal about nothing.

P.S. This is NOT Dan Slott.

P.P.S. Pick up Mighty Avengers #36 on sale now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"