Let's Discuss Dan Slott's New Book

Roughneck

Avenger
Reaction score
NRAMA: Wrapping up for this week Joe, we're starting to see glimpses of what the Marvel Universe is going to look like following Civil War. One thing that's still hanging out there - Dan Slott's book. Can you finally say what it is going to be and what it's about?

JQ: I'm not going to go into detail, but it's called Avengers: The Initiative.

Wait, hold on…

What's that… that sound?

Is it… is it… yes it is!

I think I just heard the slightest bit of breaking across the internet!

NRAMA: We've seen an "Initiative" in Civil War, which was part of the Pro-Reg side's plan to have teams of super heroes in each state. Is that what we're talking about here, or has the term been appropriated by others for their own use?

JQ: Well, that is kind of the question isn't it? To reveal that would give away a very interesting plot point of Civil War, so be happy you got that much out of me [laughs].

NRAMA: Well then, going back to what you said, this is one of those scripts that is already generating quite a lot of buzz in the Marvel offices, and, as you've said, was one of the only books to make the cut at the Marvel Editorial summit. What is it about this book that just has everyone so jazzed?

JQ: Dan Slott's ideas. I've now sat in a few creative meetings with Dan and he is really coming of age here. I will say this and I kid you not, when it comes to creative spit balling, he is right up there with Bendis, JMS, Millar, Loeb and Brubaker. Dan Slott is the real deal, he's impressed us to no end, we just have to figure out a way to get him to write faster! He is the biggest superstar in comics that no one knows about.

NRAMA: How many issues, and when will it launch?

JQ: Currently it's planned as a six issue series. Of course, with enough fan support, you never know what may happen afterwards.

Well I think when Jow says that Slott is the biggest writer that no one knows about I think he meand He doesn't know about Slott, Cause I know that I know about him and I know a lot of us have known about him for years...So **** you Joey Q.

Avengers: The Initiative eh?

I guess it wont be the Champions.......:(

I felt it was interesting that Joe seems disheartened that Dan Slott hasn't had more buzz/success, when it was Marvel's lack of major promotion for a lot of his work that helped that situation arise. Not saying it would have been a guarentee, but, well, SHE-HULK or THING would have been better to promote than HOWLING COMMANDOES. And Slott's been in the biz over a decade technically.

That aside, all we have is a title, and the 50-State Inititive thing in CW means to stick a super-team into every state to act as the sole heroes of that state, which addresses the Marvel dilemma of most of their heroes being in NY or at times CA and very few elsewhere.

That said, we have no idea what this team is going to be consisted of. Could it be older school Avengers, or could it be Champions under a new name? Slott has also said it won't be as "comedic" some of his last work, and closer to ARKHAM ASYLUM. This will probably be Slott's best selling title, helped at least a little as it's the only one Marvel will likely actively promote.

What we do know is that Slott has a vast knowledge of MU continuity and seems to enjoy raiding the Handbooks for characters.

Dread said:
I felt it was interesting that Joe seems disheartened that Dan Slott hasn't had more buzz/success, when it was Marvel's lack of major promotion for a lot of his work that helped that situation arise. Not saying it would have been a guarentee, but, well, SHE-HULK or THING would have been better to promote than HOWLING COMMANDOES. And Slott's been in the biz over a decade technically.

What's funny is Before joe said that he said that he doesn't trust anything he reads on the internt....So he probably came here and saw the vast adoration of Slott and figured he sucks.....

In that case I hate Dan Slott and he should Never Write Any Book for Marvel Ever!

I agree with you in that it seems off that Joe loves Slott so much but does very little for him in the way of giving his books a running chance or anyt promotion.

For the Record I really love Slott, writing that, even in Jest, was very very hard for me to do.

I bet.

Eh, to stay on topic so it's not a Joe bashing thread.

Technically, She-Hulk has been a longtime Avenger. ;)

I didn't read ARKHAM but I have seen in his Marvel works like GLA stuff and SPIDER-MAN/HUMAN TORCH that he's capable of far more than simple comedy. GLA had some dark stuff and SPIDEY-TORCH had a lot of heart.

Marvel has claimed that "this is an idea that is only possible after CIVIL WAR and springs forth from it". Could this mean perhaps a tale of how the event has effected Avengers ties from the top down? Or like I mentioned, an assembling of a new team somewhere?

Bevroot & Joe Q have claimed that the ending to CW "will keep you rivetted, but not happy", so I am wondering if that means the Secret Avengers lose, or pay a horrible price for victory. MIGHTY AVENGERS sketches confirm Tony Stark lives. Some people have theorized that Winter Solider is being geared up to replace Steve Rogers should he die in CW. Certainly Brubaker wouldn't mind as Winter Soldier is essentially his creation. If the Secret Avengers lose and some form of the SHRA remains in existance, then this story could chronicle the government's first stab at a registered super-team under the new order. And that could be interesting, and I could see it doing well.

You Should Read Arkham, if you are a fan of Slott you NEED to Read Arkham

Christ, Quesada is so pretentious and full of himself that it physically hurts me to read his words. "I think I just heard the slightest bit of breaking across the internet"...b***h, please.

Every thread is a good thread for Joe bashing!

rcain.gif

Well he sucks

He said that he doesn'r listen to folks on the net (Which is bad enough in itself as we are the fans, he basically said he caters to the little kids who buy **** at the 7-11) then about half a page later he says something completely contradictory.

Yeah it's funny....people on the net can take all personal shots at Joe based on his buisness decisions, but God forbid if he pokes a little fun at them back!

Anyway I have only read an arc or two by slott on she hulk and wasn't too impressed....he had some good ideas, but his writing to me was only moderately decent, certainly nothing overtly special.

**Restrains self from beating horrorfan for blasphemy**

could be interesting. If it is the "50-states initiative" then it might give us a chance to see new heroes and possibly some old favorites that have been neglected (GLC! GLC! GLC!)

Mehtastic. It's Slott though, so I might just pick it up.

Also, Dread, I've seen this a couple of times now: It's Brevoort, not Bevroot.

I think Thing and Shulkie were advertised just fine. I remember constantly seeing ads for Thing months before it came out. I do find it odd that JQ is giving one of our favorite writers new assigments, and complimenting him, and people are still unhappy. That said...

The line that caught my eye was "...we just have to figure out a way to get him to write faster!" I've heard these rumors before, and I wonder if he was trying to give him a compliment ( by wishing he could write more for them), or a little goading. If the latter, that would be one of the few times that I would criticize JQ, because I really think those things should be done in private.

Dread, read Arkham. I signed it out of my local library a year or so ago and was really impressed, especially since all I ever saw from DS was the more lighthearted stuff (even GLA was essentially a dark comedy).

Dan Slott is capabale of some of the most well structured stories in comics. Check out Arkham Asylum for the best example of this, but also GLA. All the dominoes are set up, and you don't even realize it till everything falls into place

So are we discussing Dan Slott's new book, or *****ing about Quesada, because if its the latter we didnt need another thread for that. Dan deserves better.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=94501

Art by Stefano Casselli.

“As team members, we’ll get to see War Machine, Yellowjacket, Justice, the Gauntlet – who’s a new character [pictured above], and there will also be some other new Marvels, as well as some old Marvels – great Marvels, Big Marvels and small Marvels, fat Marvels and thin Marvels – they’re all going to be in this.”

San Slott said:
The Initiative is serious, hardcore superhero stuff. There are no happy or sad Marvels here – if you’re in The Initiative, you’re a ‘grrr’ Marvel. You’re a red meat eatin’ Marvel.

YAAAAAAY! Dirk Anger is gonna be in this!:D:p

More good! YAAAAAAAYY!!!!!:p Thanks for the linky, Darthie.

So Jim Rhodes will ride in the armor once more eh? Interesting and awesome at the same time.

Dread said:
That said, we have no idea what this team is going to be consisted of. Could it be older school Avengers, or could it be Champions under a new name? Slott has also said it won't be as "comedic" some of his last work, and closer to ARKHAM ASYLUM. This will probably be Slott's best selling title, helped at least a little as it's the only one Marvel will likely actively promote.

What we do know is that Slott has a vast knowledge of MU continuity and seems to enjoy raiding the Handbooks for characters.

well, if you read the whole thing, i think it's safe to assume that this title's going to consist of everyone. everyone and then some.

Darth the Phere said:
So Jim Rhodes will ride in the armor once more eh? Interesting and awesome at the same time.

I don't know if you read Sentinel Squad O.N.E. mini (I don't blame you if you didn't), he had a new armor there and was a trainer. I think by the end he had one of those Evangelion ripoff prototype setninels as his own.

Tropico said:
I don't know if you read Sentinel Squad O.N.E. mini (I don't blame you if you didn't), he had a new armor there and was a trainer. I think by the end he had one of those Evangelion ripoff prototype setninels as his own.

Oh I know, thats why I hope hes back in the less gay, more awesome original War Machine armor. Heres hoping.

Darthphere said:
Oh I know, thats why I hope hes back in the less gay, more awesome original War Machine armor. Heres hoping.

I agree. But, what I wish most of all is that they don't make him a Tony clone in regards to his attitude. I doubt Dan would do that, but you never know.

I didn't know who Dan Slott was until I read this article and looked him up online.

Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"