DareDevil

Haha, found it. It was #318:

daredevil318.jpg

The only thing I remember Waid doing on the Avengers was the last few issues of vol 1 before Heroes Reborn. He did do one of my favorite Avengers issues ever #400 with Loki attacking the team while in disguise as a time traveling historian.

The dark aspect of DD went on for over a decade. It was time for a break from it and remind the fans he can be a fun character instead of all the doom and gloom.

was he on Avengers then?
I remember him being on Cap and when it came back to Marvel he got back on

was he on Avengers then?
I remember him being on Cap and when it came back to Marvel he got back on

He was only there for #400-402, the last 3 issues of the volume before Heroes Reborn. Prior to him writing the title, it was written by Terry Kavanagh who made a mess of things in the past year or so with The Crossing and Timeslide (Teen Tony). I think Waid was only on the book for mop up duty.

He was only there for #400-402, the last 3 issues of the volume before Heroes Reborn. Prior to him writing the title, it was written by Terry Kavanagh who made a mess of things in the past year or so with The Crossing and Timeslide (Teen Tony). I think Waid was only on the book for mop up duty.
I still haven't actually read "The Crossing." I just keep hearing about how awful it was, and I know it involved the Wasp turning into a wasp mutant thing, so I've stayed away from it.

The plot was basically Iron Man was a sleeper agent for Kang since the early issues of the Avengers. Marvel pulled the same stunt as they did with the Clone Saga trying to tell the reader that the Spidey they've been reading for 20 years was a fraud. Same with Tony in the Crossing and Time-Slide.

It started with a few people getting murdered mysteriously in Avengers Mansion like Gilgamesh, Marilla (Pietro and Crystal's nanny for Luna) and the female Yellowjacket. Other strange things happened like Swordsman II wandering off into the woods. Everything led back to Tony and when the team confronted him he shot Jan. Hank put her in some machine to save her life, she ended up in a cocoon that hatched eventually and she became an actual half Wasp/half woman.

The Avengers went back in time and recruited teenage Tony (before Kang approached him) and he helped them defeat Kang and adult Tony. Adult Tony ended up dying sacrificing himself to help the team win in the end.

It was a horrible, horrible mess. The art was horrible too. A young/not so talented Ed Benes did the covers and Deodato did the interiors. You guys complain about his work now - go look at his real early stuff......it will give you a migraine. He's improved a lot if you ask me. I also think Liefeld did some uncredited splash panels during this arc too because it was on the eve of the Heroes Reborn announcement. I've never seen anything actually stated like that in an interview but I'm pretty sure it's his work. I remember a close up shot of Kang that looked exactly like his work.

I've never read Daredevil before, except in passing during a crossover here and there, and so far I am very much pleased with what I've seen.

This is one of the prettiest books being published. Not just the artists, but the colorist is knocking it out of the park. That panel from issue 4 with DD's shadow over the yellow backdrop is just stunning. Props to the colorist, who often gets overlooked.

Martin constructs some of the best panels I've ever seen. The angles and such are terrific.

The new look is really gorgeous without being super bright, photoshoppy and overdone. I like fresh and fluid colour and shading like the next guy, but the direction they've taken with this book is fantastic and fits so well. :)

The new look is really gorgeous without being super bright, photoshoppy and overdone. I like fresh and fluid colour and shading like the next guy, but the direction they've taken with this book is fantastic and fits so well. :)

Well said!

Just read Daredevil 2. Haven't read 1 yet. So far, I'm finding it awesome.

Waid seems to be having fun. I like the oddball villain choices. The Spot? :hehe: (not sure when he became a killer, though...or a credible threat, heh heh).

The Spot does have some useful powers to be an incredible assassin. He could kill somebody and get in/out quickly. Most writers have always treated him like a buffoon.

Fred Van Lente made the Spot a lot more threatening as a killer back in ASM #589... :up:

I haven't read DAREDEVIL since about the end of the Bendis run and I must say I'm getting a kick out of the Waid run thus far. The art by Rivera and Martin has been awesome. Without denying past stories, Waid is doing great work with trying to get Murdock away from imitating Frank Miller's run endlessly.

this has hands down become the book I look forward to the most every month. even with all the excitement around DC right now with their universe reboot, I find all of that paling in comparison to how much I want to get the next Daredevil issue in my hands.

Waid seems to be having fun. I like the oddball villain choices. The Spot? :hehe: (not sure when he became a killer, though...or a credible threat, heh heh).
I loved the description of the Spot via Daredevil's radar sense.

I just caught up last night, and I love it. Now this is how you reboot a series! The book's tone has definitely changed, but it doesn't just run away from the past like some reboots do. It acknowledges the past and gives a reason for Matt going around being more jovial. I loved the back up story in the first issue. Man that was great in so many ways. From Daredevil checking out the chick's ass(at least that's what I gathered:O) to him playing the violin to the great ending where he talks about why he's changing his outlook on things. The art is really really good too. The Riveras are doing a superb job right now, and Martin was pretty good too. It was nice to see Klaw(well...kinda) again as well. I can't believe I forgot about this in all the DC madness. This just might become my favorite current title.

The funniest comic I ever read was the Silver Surfer issue with the Impossible Man. Funniest single issue ever....hands down!

I don't usually read Daredevil but I picked up recent Klaw issue and it was alright.

The funniest comic I ever read was the Silver Surfer issue with the Impossible Man. Funniest single issue ever....hands down!
I had that issue too. The cover alone is hilarious, with the Surfer mugging at the reader while the Impossible Man does his best Mike Tyson impression. :funny:

another amazing issue. I don't think words can express how awesome Marcos Martin is. And having 2 artists on the book, instead of simply keeping them on a monthly schedule, gave us new issues in back-to-back weeks. I kinda hope they don't keep this schedule up, just so I don't get spoiled and expect this kind of quality every week from them.

With the Latverian tease, I'm really hoping we get to see Dr. Doom soon. I would love to see that. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"