DareDevil

I just put in the B/T thread that Marcos Martin is hands down the best artist when working the "camera" angles and panel layouts. It gives the book a dramatic tone no matter what's going down. It's text book stuff I remember reading about in the Lee/Buscema How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way that usually gets lost in the mix. It's almost like a lost art these days unfortunately.

The multiple artist setup seems to be the wave of the future for comics. DD, ASM and Uncanny X-Force are all books that utilize it and it keeps the books on a rapid-fire schedule.

Latest issue was still high quality stuff. Martin was on fire in this issue! I like the new venture that Matt and Foggy are doing for their clients and it leaves it open for Waid to play with DD getting involved, as seen in this issue. Just great stuff and glad some lightness is brought back to the character.

Surprisingly DD #1-4 have been pretty enjoyable. Mark Waid has done a good job with the character and has brought DD back to his roots. The problem is, DD back to his roots is just the same old same old. I'm just hoping the title doesn't go downhill when DD joins the New Avengers in issue #16.

Just read Daredevil #3. Reread DD #1 and #2 since I kinda forgot the story so far. Haven't picked up DD #4 yet, maybe in a few weeks, with #5.

Based on all the gushing praise being given to Mark Waid and Marcos Martin's Daredevil on these boards, I decided to give issue #4 a try this week. I was pretty skeptical, considering that despite my sporadic interest in the character, I haven't bought an issue since Brubaker left the book (and even his run didn't blow me away), and all the stuff that's followed with the character has actvely put me off giving the book another go.

This issue, however, was great. Slick, cool, accessible, with some lovely artwork from Martin. Issue #4 felt like an issue #1, so welcoming was it in re-introducing Matt Murdock and his status quo. I'm definitely interested in trying the next issue.

Has Mark Waid ever written anything bad? I can't remember not liking something he's ever come out with......

Eh...I wasn't too crazy about how he portrayed Doom in his Fantastic Four run, I thought he took it a notch too far but thats just me.

I loved Waid's Doom. It was something that hadn't been explored in depth until that run, and it was a refreshing difference to see Doom magic up.

I think DD#4 has been the best issue so far. I'm not a big fan of/don't know much about Klaw. While that didn't keep me from enjoying the arc, I was a little disengaged from apathy. #4 had a tease for Latveria, which excites me beyond words that we might get to see some international DD action. Especially if we get to see some more Waid's Doom.

I'm also loving how this book is setting up a trend of short, self-contained story arcs. 3 issues, the story is done, move on to the next. Connectivity between them, but not necessity to read them to understand.

yeah, Waid is one of the best writers today (if not THE best).

I don't remember many people having an issue with how Doom was handled by Waid. He brought his sorcery roots back to the forefront as an important part of his character. It was one of the few times I was really into FF.

As for Klaw, sadly he is almost a forgotten Marvel villain. He was big back in the early days of Marvel but faded after the 80's.

The best part of DD#4 is easily how Matt practices law. He now coaches his clients to handle the case without him, it's quite brilliant.

Issue #4 was great, and it was terrific getting two issues of DD this month. Mark Waid, Martin, and Rivera have reimagined the book without denying the past, and done so at a time when everything was full of crossover hype. I haven't regretted jumping aboard.

Neither have I. Its so good. Makes me want to go back a pick up Waid's Ka-Zar run.

Neither have I. Its so good. Makes me want to go back a pick up Waid's Ka-Zar run.

I never read it, but I remember it was heralded at the time - admittedly by the low standards of the mid to late 90's - and some recent 90's retrospectives at CBR noted it. Waid also had a notable run on CAPTAIN AMERICA, which was interrupted by HEROES REBORN and so on.

Still, not everything by Waid is perfect. I tried the first issue of his DR. STRANGE mini a couple years ago and didn't feel it at all.

But, his DD is good. It's the first time I've read DD since the peak of Bendis' run and I haven't regretted it. I think it has loads more potential because it isn't about writing into corners or imitating Frank Miller, if it's allowed to last.

Waid's run on Captain America was top notch at the time... it's unfortunate that Heroes Reborn stopped it...

:csad:

I was running a Comic Shop at the time, an my Cap orders were increasing monthly by leaps and bounds... by issue #2 of Heroes Reborn, they plummetted.

didnt they give him back Cap after HR

Yes, they did, but I guess it just wasn't the same... and I had stopped reading comics by that point for a brief period of time... so I'm not sure why it didn't fly... though the market was starting to crash & burn...:o

Man the art in this series is definitely on point. I like Rivera better, but Martin's style is similar enough with a flair of its own.

I think the best thing about the art in this book is the way both artists have such a knack for conveying motion. I love the way Daredevil moves on the pages. I could look at the splash page that Martin drew with the Daredevil in the lion pit forever.

I never read it, but I remember it was heralded at the time - admittedly by the low standards of the mid to late 90's - and some recent 90's retrospectives at CBR noted it. Waid also had a notable run on CAPTAIN AMERICA, which was interrupted by HEROES REBORN and so on.

The Ka-Zar series I read back in the late 90s was one of my favorte comics at the time. I didn't know Mark Waid wrote it - that was back when I didn't pay much attention to creators - but I can't imagine there were numerous Ka-Zar runs back then, so I take it what I read was indeed Waid's work. Probably the first comics with Thanos that I read, and helped make him by favorite villain for a little while - though I heard in later years his appearance was retconned to make him an inferior clone of Thanos or something to justify Ka-Zar being able to beat him.

Waid's 2nd Cap run was a little flat. It was disrupted by Live Kree or Die early on and Waid did himself no favors with not having Steve and Sharon hook up right away. I think most fans were looking forward to that after the first run. Instead it was a constant dose of will they/won't they and a heaping spoonful of Connie Ferrari - a pretty lame love interest. Folks that think Carlie Cooper is bad? Go back and read some of Connie - ugh!

Finally got around to reading the first four issues of DD.It's quite the tone change from the previous couple of years yet it still feels organic and it's really enjoyable.Loved seeing DD face off against villains he usually doesn't like Klaw and Spot.Also being a consultant is a genius move by Waid.Not to mention the art is some of the best in comics today.I've loved Martin Marcos since his Dr.Strange Mini and Pablo Rivers is equally great.I look forward to enjoying this book every month.

I hope Marcos is the artist on board when they have the upcoming DD/ASM team-up... :up:

:yay:

From my understanding they are going to flip flop between Martin and Rivera, which is an awesome idea, and I hope that Martin is around for that crossover as well. Martin easily is one of the greatest modern artists in the game today and I LOVED his work on Spider-Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"