David Poland says "Disney might kill Thor."

TheVileOne

Eternal
Reaction score
This came from David Poland on tonight's Attack of the Show on G4. Poland was on to talk about Disney buying Marvel. The picture Poland painted is that Marvel was essentially running out of cash and the benefit of the Disney acquisition is that now there will be more money to pay for the superhero pictures. However, Poland was saying Marvel probably does not have enough cash for Thor even though Iron Man was a great success (he said Hulk was not). And Disney might not be willing to pay for Thor directed by Kenneth Branagh, Cap, or Avengers. He specifically noted that Disney "might kill Thor."

Take for it what you will.

And so it begins... but who again is Poland may I ask?

**** David Poland. The guy hates the genre and is consistently critical of its fans and creators.

Marvel clearly would be looking for funding for the projects they have in development, and funding for Thor/Cap/Avengers was likely high on their list of desires. The Marvel board probably wouldn't have okayed the purchase until Disney had agreed to provide the funding. Disney has been looking to purchase Marvel for a while, they aren't going to kill off its active projects

Well I dunno. He said Marvel went with the acquisition so they would have money from Disney for their projects.

It seems odd for Poland to make such bold accusations, but he put them out there. So I mean I think its worth discussing.

We know, believe, and think these are active projects, but do we also know for sure that Marvel has enough money to fund these movies the way they want to.

If you think these bold accusations by Poland are odd, read his Incredible Hulk review. He's an elitist *****e who hates the genre, its fans, and sees no redeeming value in any of the characters/stories.

Of course Disney would want to kill off these "crap" projects

I think, let's say David is just making bold statements, it does make you think WHY this 'takeover' happened in the first place. Maybe Poland is hyperbolic about it, but I can't shake the idea that maybe that he might be right to a certain degree.

I doubt Disney's perogative was to buy this out, destroy Marvel's ongoing Avengers plan in the middle of it all, and then turn around to give us a "Here comes the Power Pack" promo a year from now. I say Poland is talking out of his ass. I know nothing about the guy or his history, but I will take Chewy's word on this.

yea i dont think we have to worry about thor why wouldnt they want a potential film in the fantasy genre thats a great pull for boys.

I think, let's say David is just making bold statements, it does make you think WHY this 'takeover' happened in the first place. Maybe Poland is hyperbolic about it, but I can't shake the idea that maybe that he might be right to a certain degree.
I have to agree... I feel the same way. Whelther one like this guy or not; or is talking out the side of his neck... he make some very valid points, and at this point, we really don't know what the fine details are or the rationale behind the deal and future projects.

Disney is not touching Thor. Its staying with Paramount.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=8645

UPDATE #3: The deal with Paramount Pictures to distribute five films--"Iron Man 2," "Thor," "Captain America," "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3"--stays in place as well, but Disney would like to self-distribute down the line. "When the time comes we'll take a closer look at it."

Poland knows nothing, he's not a good critic and he claims to be an expert in movie financing when he's not.

Disney is not touching Thor. Its staying with Paramount.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=8645

UPDATE #3: The deal with Paramount Pictures to distribute five films--"Iron Man 2," "Thor," "Captain America," "The Avengers" and "Iron Man 3"--stays in place as well, but Disney would like to self-distribute down the line. "When the time comes we'll take a closer look at it."

That Paramount deal is irrelevant. I agree with Venom that Poland did have valid points. Should Disney not want to bankroll Thor/Cap... send Avengers to Pixar or whatever... they can do that. Paramount can do nothing to prevent them. All they have is the right to distribute the next five films. Those films may very well be Power Pack, or a major animated feature for that matter. I am sure Paramount will try to file some sort of law suit, but I really don't think they'd care enough for movies like Thor/Cap. IM will be distributed at Paramount no matter what and that alone may keep them satisfied.

That Paramount deal is irrelevant. I agree with Venom that Poland did have valid points. Should Disney not want to bankroll Thor/Cap... send Avengers to Pixar or whatever... they can do that. Paramount can do nothing to prevent them. All they have is the right to distribute the next five films. Those films may very well be Power Pack, or a major animated feature for that matter. I am sure Paramount will try to file some sort of law suit, but I really don't think they'd care enough for movies like Thor/Cap. IM will be distributed at Paramount no matter what and that alone may keep them satisfied.

I get what you're saying. If Disney doesn't foot the bill there will be nothing for paramount to distribute. Hope that doesn't happen.

I think we will get it but if it bombs at the BO it's going to hurt other second-tier characters down the line.

Here may be another motivation to kill Thor... POTC is scheduled for 2011 as of now. How is Disney going to bankroll Thor, Cap, and Pirates in one summer alongside Cars 2? Before they just to worry about two of those films. Now all four? Someone has to go to 2012... meaning Avengers may get pushed to 2013/2014.

Last edited:
Here may be another motivation to kill Thor... POTC is scheduled for 2011 as of now. How is Disney going to bankroll Thor, Cap, and Pirates in one summer alongside Cars 2? Before they just to worry about two of those films. Now all four? Someone has to go to 2012... meaning Avengers may get pushed to 2013/2014.

I'm sure Disney could afford to finance all those films. Now, whether they want to flood the market like that is another question.

I don't think there's any question that Pirates and Cars are guaranteed hits. I definitely could see them thinking that it might be better to move one of Thor or Cap to a later date and deciding that Thor is less of a guaranteed hit.

i would rather see thor and cap over more dull pirates and shiny cars with giant mouths.

disney know comic films have a VERY large audience from young to old.

why kill them for more crappy kids films!?

Marvel could afford an ambitious film slate before they had the financial might of Disney behind them. Why do we suddenly think they won't be able to afford it now that they do?

i would rather see thor and cap over more dull pirates and shiny cars with giant mouths.

disney know comic films have a VERY large audience from young to old.

why kill them for more crappy kids films!?

Because the pirates and cars films are surer bets to make money?

Not saying that any decision has been made yet, but that would be awfully bold for a studio to finance 4 tentpoles of that size in one Summer.

Marvel could afford an ambitious film slate before they had the financial might of Disney behind them. Why do we suddenly think they won't be able to afford it now that they do?

If they are just handing out checks and have absolutely zero creative input for any of them, other than POTC, then fine. But just the logistics of it. How do you space out four, five films really if you count SM4 and their small profit from that, over one summer? I don't think you can move out of the summer slots either because of that summer release clause in the Paramount contract.

If they are just handing out checks and have absolutely zero creative input for any of them, other than POTC, then fine. But just the logistics of it. How do you space out four, five films really if you count SM4 and their small profit from that, over one summer? I don't think you can move out of the summer slots either because of that summer release clause in the Paramount contract.

There really should be no need to move anything. There was already some kind of financial plan in place for these films before Disney came along. Now that Disney have bought Marvel, it's not like all that money has magically evaporated and Disney will have to foot the bill for everything in every film.

I doubt Disney will be thinking about culling some of the movies from the summer slate. If anything, they'll be thinking how good it is that they have some kind of interest (and chance of profit) in the majority of major blockbusters in summer 2011, in one way or another.

And remember, though Disney is the parent company, these are still all their own divisions doing their own thing. Thor is not "in POTC's way" anymore than Up was in the way of Inglourious Basterds this summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"