Thor 2 Coming July 26, 2013

FilmNerdJamie

Obtainer of wrong opinions!
Reaction score
Hemsworth returns (duh) but minus Branagh (sigh)

As per TOLDJA:

Marvel Studios, which is in production on the Joss Whedon-directed The Avengers, is making a full commitment to Thor 2, with Chris Hemsworth reprising his role as the title hero. Marvel will need to hire a director for that film because, I've learned, Kenneth Branagh won't be returning as helmer. Branagh, who directed the first film and watched it gross $437 million worldwide with a few territories still playing out, will likely be involved in some producing capacity. His exit was "mutual and amicable," I'm told. That means a big job is out there that a lot of directors and their agents will be chasing over the upcoming holiday.

Disney will today finalize a release date for Thor 2, which will be released sometime in the summer, 2013. Disney and Marvel have already slotted the Robert Downey Jr-starrer Iron Man 3 to open May 3, 2013. So figure that Thor 2 will come later in the summer. Developing...

Asgard's finest will swing his mighty hammer once again, as Disney & Marvel have announced THOR 2 will hit theatres July 26, 2013.

http://twitter.com/#!/ERCboxoffice/status/86548914261590016

Last edited:
I would like to have Branagh back as a director , but hopefully they replace him with someone that fits to direct this.

I think it said that he “could” not “would”, return as a producer. Be that as it may; I’m kind of worried now, since he was one of the reasons why Thor was such a great film. Not to mention that some of the people that had signed on for this film, did so just because he was attached to this film

I wonder if it means that Natalie will choose not to return since Ken is not returning, or if she will be recasted as well due to her salary potentially being too big now ever since she won her award?

The only person that i'd feel comfortable tackling this material would be Peter Jackson.lol

Hmm. No surprise there'll be a sequel but Brannagh not returning is odd. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to hire Matthew Vaughn for it actually..

On the one hand, I hope this really was mutual, that Brannagh did not want to get bogged down doing comic book films, but on the other, I thought the character work on this film was easily the best from the Marvel Studios films.

Perhaps they can get someone who Brannagh would approve of yet would bring the action quotient that this one needed more of.

I wonder if it means that Natalie will choose not to return since Ken is not returning, or if she will be recasted as well due to her salary potentially being too big now ever since she won her award?

I really hope that Portman comes back for this, it doesn't matter if it's a big role or a small one, as long as she returns.

So they're only getting two years to make it and no Branagh.

I really, really, really don't like the sound of this at all.

I'm not sure about Vaughn tho. lol
Sad we aren't getting Ken back. That kind of sux. Hope Whedon can do as well.

I hope they get Michael Bay to put some serious comic book action.

who's with me?!

anybody?!

It’s so hard to find directors to stay attached to a franchise that they started.lol In any case, I really hope that this doesn’t mean that the quality of the series will be lessened in the sequel like how Iron Man 2 did for Iron Man 1. Heck, I’m worried right now if we’ll have any familiar faces changed for the sequel as well, and given that I’m a continuity nut, I hate the idea of a major character being recasted.

So they're only getting two years to make it and no Branagh.

I really, really, really don't like the sound of this at all.
Well think of it this way Thor then Avengers and Thor 2 all in a row. :D poor Chris and Tom lol

I could see this going either way tbh. On the one hand, if the sequel is going to be on a more epic scale, I could see another director being more suitable. On the other hand, I can't think of too many directors who would have Branagh's feel for the material.

There's also the issue of whether or not Hopkins and Portman would want to reprise their roles with another director. Oh well. It will be interesting to see how all of the above plays out. Thor II is slated for summer 2013. That's pretty awesome all by itself :awesome:

I really hope that Portman comes back for this, it doesn't matter if it's a big role or a small one, as long as she returns.

I absolutely hope so as well. Natalie being in this film was one of the reasons why I enjoyed it as much as I did, let alone got interested in the relationship between Thor and Jane.

I hope they get Michael Bay to put some serious comic book action.

who's with me?!

anybody?!

Giving Thor to Michael would be like giving Batman back to Joel.

I could see this going either way tbh. On the one hand, if the sequel is going to be on a more epic scale, I could see another director being more suitable. On the other hand, I can't think of too many directors who would have Branagh's feel for the material.

There's also the issue of whether or not Hopkins and Portman would want to reprise their roles with another director. Oh well. It will be interesting to see how all of the above plays out. Thor II is slated for summer 2013. That's pretty awesome all by itself :awesome:
Well at least there will be somewhat of the same feel from Avengers to Thor 2 seeing as it's Whedon.
I mean he'd be constantly working with Chris and Tom as well, so there shouldn't be alot of delay going from one film to the other.
I also think that Kenneth would help out if asked.

I absolutely hope so as well. Natalie being in this film was one of the reasons why I enjoyed it as much as I did, let alone got interested in the relationship between Thor and Jane.

Yeah, she was definitely one of the highlights from the movie. It would be wonderful if she's interested to do the sequel.

It's a shame that Branagh won't be back, but aside from Louis Leterrier, Marvel's done a good job of bringing in quality directors to helm their films. I'm sure they'll find someone appropriate for Thor 2. Any ideas on villains?

And now with Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 both slated for 2013, any Captain America sequel will likely come in 2014.

For my money, it needs Branagh just as much as it obviously needs Hemsworth. This material could have quite easily come off as a cheese-tastic campfest but it didn't thanks to his direction.

They need to think outside the box like they did when pegging Brangath instead of the standard fanboy menality of "Give it to someone whose already done a big genre movie we love!"

It's possible they already have someone in mind, I guess. Branagh certainly did right by Thor but, now that the character is established, I could see another approach working just as well.

Marvel Studios is making a full commitment to Thor 2
:awesome:
with Chris Hemsworth reprising his role as the title hero
Marvel will need to hire a director for that film because, I've learned, Kenneth Branagh won't be returning as helmer
:csad:
Branagh will likely be involved in some producing capacity
Disney will today finalize a release date for Thor 2, which will be released sometime in the summer, 2013

At least the good (so far) outweighs the bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"