Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
7. DoFP
8. POTENTIAL sequel (even if it's the prequel cast only)

There is no way they are moving without the core iconic X-Men. If First Class proved anything is that moviegoers want to see The X-Men not the Obscure-Mutants.

What gets people in those seats are Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Rogue, Wolverine, Professor X, Nightcrawler, Magneto and Mystique. Those are the core characters everyone has grown to love for decades now.

They could recast and a reboot would be just fine but the sequels to DOFP will need to include the core X-Men some way some how.

It grossed $350 million. Without Wolverine.

And a X-Men film with the core iconic X-Men will get more than $350 million.

They could continue this new trilogy with the OT cast since they're now merged. Lawrence can replace Romijn as modern-day Mystique if they wanted to. But I can't - in my head - understand why they'd do a sequel then follow up with another prequel. They're starting to get back on track in a smart way. I just don't see it happening, especially since there likely won't be much left for both young and old Xavier/Magneto past this film. I have a feeling this will complete their film arcs. That's just me.

With the focus of this film being on the First Class cast and the 1970's setting, and the main trilogy cast really just being glorified cameos it seems to get the ball rolling in 1973, it seems clear to me where the intention and focus lays for any future of the franchise, and it's not with the main trilogy cast.

Despite having the main trilogy cast, this is obviously more of a First Class sequel than it is a main trilogy sequel, and with the seeming possibility of creating an alternate timeline, there's no point in building off of the already existing timeline if it's going to be wiped out / erased.

Hmmm even if the FC cast is shown more, they'll be sharing their scenes with Hugh Jackman and Hugh Jackman is part of the OT cast and his mission in the 70s is connected to what is going on in the future period.

Plus the film will be showing scenes from the 70s and the future back and forth. So there's no way the OT cast and the new characters that are with them are just gonna end up like glorified cameos. A glorified cameo role is what Patrick/Ian got in The Wolverine and their role in DOFP is bigger than that.

The film might be showcasing more of the FC cast but the purpose of the film is to save the future where the OT cast belongs to. And the FC cast might be getting more screentime than the OT cast because its their last X-Men film.

Last edited:
The film might be showcasing more of the FC cast but the purpose of the film is to save the future where the OT cast belongs to.
Yeah but unless they are parallel universes, the future is just as much the FC team's one as the OT team's one -- they have just as much reason to be invested in fixing it.

There is no way they are moving without the core iconic X-Men. If First Class proved anything is that moviegoers want to see The X-Men not the Obscure-Mutants.

What gets people in those seats are Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Rogue, Wolverine, Professor X, Nightcrawler, Magneto and Mystique. Those are the core characters everyone has grown to love for decades now.

They could recast and a reboot would be just fine but the sequels to DOFP will need to include the core X-Men some way some how.

As I've said over and over again...

On a note unrelated to the above quote, DoFP is a sequel. It begins in the future, and it's because of the state of said future that they decide to change the past, regardless if the majority of the film takes place in the past. The "past" portion of the film is a plot point which further's the main story; a new future. You can understandably consider it a sequel to FC, but overall, it is an absolute sequel to the original trilogy and TW.

^Yeah especially the person that is gonna change the past, give the past a new story is the person that we saw in the original trilogy and The Wolverine.

Yep, though I do get the feeling this movie will dramatically focus mostly on Xavier and Magneto, young and old. And I can't wait. :up:

So this is a very minor thing, but i noticed in the leaked footage, in the shot of Magneto holding a gun, the painting behind him looks very similar (although I don't think it's exact) to Delacroix's "Liberty Leading the People." I'm guessing this shot is part of the "French embassy" attack.

Also, just another thought: the "stained glass" room in the future scenes reminds me a lot of old subway designs beneath New York. Not saying that's what I think it is, but just a vibe I was getting.

It's not a subway and infact I don't believe it's in the US. I believe it is part of the temple. You see them walking through the pillars to a tunnel which would fit the underground clips with Bishop and Sunspot. And in those clips you see what looks like Asian/Middle Eastern lattace work on the entrance. That isn't a subway. The windows aren't a subway either. Rogue is looking down from a balcony at Iceman/Kitty and they are in the background of the scene. It looks like an arched design on the balcony so it's not the mansion or underground as neither fit.

As for sequels, I am baffled why some posters are determined to believe the OT cast will not be getting used again when that completely contradicts the impression that the producers, Singer and the cast are giving. They have plainly said OT storyline possibilities are being considered and Anna etc have implied they would be happy to come back and talked about what they'd like in sequels. If this really was the OT bow out then none of that would have happened. DOFP is quite obviously not planned as their exit. Sequels may not materialize but they are a definite consideration going on from everything said. As for the FC cast I wouldn't say they are that "hot" right now other than Jennifer. The others aren't especially well known outside X-Men fans. Fassbender and McAvoy are not A listers.

On a note unrelated to the above quote, DoFP is a sequel. It begins in the future, and it's because of the state of said future that they decide to change the past, regardless if the majority of the film takes place in the past. The "past" portion of the film is a plot point which further's the main story; a new future. You can understandably consider it a sequel to FC, but overall, it is an absolute sequel to the original trilogy and TW.

Well to be fair there is no "consider"ing it sequel to FC it pretty much will be a sequel to first class, it will be continuing the events of first class, relationships and the effect it has had on the younger characters not just them trying trying to fix the future, it's the next step in that story after XFC

:up:

It's not a prequel because going into the past to change it is a crucial part of this film's story.

Technically, Wolverine traveling back happened before X1, yes, but the events that play out won't lead to the X1 we have. So, right, it's not a prequel. If time travel wasn't involved, then it could be considered somewhat of one, but it is involved, meaning that the past events in this film do not act as the past events of X1.

It's prequel to X1 and sequel to TLS till Logan travel to 1973 and he change past. After that it's only sequel to FC. He creates new timeline, so action in Origins, X1, United, TLS and TW become different timeline.
So if not prequel to X1, then not sequel to TLS too. Only sequel to FC, and prequel to next X-Men movie.
But as I said till Logan change past, it's prequel to X1 the same as FC.

Old timeline:
FC -> DOFP (1973 till Logan make changes) -> X1 -> United -> TLS -> DOFP (till Logan back from past)

New timeline:
FC -> DOFP (whole action in 1973) -> DOFP (after Logan back from past) -> next X-Men movie

So we should say DOFP is sequel to FC, prequel to X1 and sequel to TLS, or we should say it's only sequel to FC. This movie is about both timelines, so I choose first option, as Singer said ,,inbetween-quel".

I'm pretty sure changing the events of 1973 will not somehow make characters like Rogue, Iceman, etc. appear in a film before they were even born. I think this may be the last time we see the prequel cast, but if it's not, they're not going to throw any OT characters in there except for possibly the younger versions of Scott, Jean and Storm. But I doubt if we get a sequel, it'll take place before the designated future... it's not going to screw the timelines completely and confuse people even more. It's only going to affect what happens in 1973 and after, not throw the whole continuity off. If anything, I think they'll move on with a sequel to DoFP with the OT/future cast. But none of that crazy stuff isn't going to happen. I respect people's opinions, but I don't get how people can't be on somewhat of a similar page.

People or should i say some are wanting to turn X-men Into abrams Trek.If they did that then their Is danger of younger characters from trilogy showing up.

Abrams has a 20ish Kirk.Having a teenage Chekov shouldn't be happening since the original series had Kirk In his early 30's with a 19/20 year old Chekov.You had major problems lining up Khan's history with the version In
Into Darkness.And they totally messed up with Klingons appearance In Into Darkness.And this was after enterprise gave explanation for different look of klingons.

There Is poential for headscraching if they went with the abrams Trek like some are advocating.ANd some here are always blasting X-Men films for
Contunity errors.

truth be told if they went the route of rebooting star trek style it would give this franchise more life in a way because younger cast means its a nice step back and move foward again for more films

BUT... i don't think thats the idea of this film tbh

i think there will be another FC movie, one that actually will be Xavier forming the X-men of cyclops,jean and storm, which was originally the idea for first class before singer took over i believe so naturally thats the next step i think singer has intentionally stretched out the story for, it has potential but can it go beyond a 3rd? hmm... probably not

i know alot of people think oh its set in the future 2020 or something with the OT so technically people will be confused if the next film isn't also set in 2020, but not really because ignoring the fact we don't know how its gonna end this story is still about the younger characters in the 70s as it is the future so audiences will recognise these characters and will just as much invest in their jorney so if the next film is another FC it wouldn't be at all confusing

Hmmm even if the FC cast is shown more, they'll be sharing their scenes with Hugh Jackman and Hugh Jackman is part of the OT cast and his mission in the 70s is connected to what is going on in the future period.

Plus the film will be showing scenes from the 70s and the future back and forth. So there's no way the OT cast and the new characters that are with them are just gonna end up like glorified cameos. A glorified cameo role is what Patrick/Ian got in The Wolverine and their role in DOFP is bigger than that.

The film might be showcasing more of the FC cast but the purpose of the film is to save the future where the OT cast belongs to. And the FC cast might be getting more screentime than the OT cast because its their last X-Men film.

The thing is, if this movie was really about the main cast, they didn't even HAVE to use the First Class cast, they could have just as effectively told the Days Of Future Past story without them. In fact, they probably could have more effectively told the story without the First Class cast, and it would have been cheaper for the studio.

The original story doesn't have time travel into the "past"... it has time travel into the "present". The original story has a future Kitty Pryde (or the cartoon using a future Bishop) to time travel back to the timeline's current "present", to change events leading up to an, at that point, unforeseen future.

The original story doesn't have anything to do with going back in time to before certain events in the existing timeline happened, and changing a timeline of things we already know. It has to do with changing the timeline of things that have yet to pass.

The movie could have had their apocalyptic future, sent someone back to the current "present", which would be after X-Men: The Last Stand and The Wolverine, to change an as of yet unforeseen incident from happening to prevent the apocalyptic future from happening.

The fact that the First Class cast is in this at all is proof that the focus in on First Class, and the main trilogy cast are just the sprinkles on top. Days Of Future Past came about from what was originally going to be First Class 2, but the ideas changed, Vaughn left, Singer took over, and it became Days Of Future Past. This is obviously a First Class sequel, with the main trilogy sprinkles on top, and any future of the franchise will revolve around the First Class cast, who is still under contract, and not the main trilogy cast who is not all under contract.

It's not a subway and infact I don't believe it's in the US. I believe it is part of the temple. You see them walking through the pillars to a tunnel which would fit the underground clips with Bishop and Sunspot. And in those clips you see what looks like Asian/Middle Eastern lattace work on the entrance. That isn't a subway. The windows aren't a subway either. Rogue is looking down from a balcony at Iceman/Kitty and they are in the background of the scene. It looks like an arched design on the balcony so it's not the mansion or underground as neither fit.

As for sequels, I am baffled why some posters are determined to believe the OT cast will not be getting used again when that completely contradicts the impression that the producers, Singer and the cast are giving. They have plainly said OT storyline possibilities are being considered and Anna etc have implied they would be happy to come back and talked about what they'd like in sequels. If this really was the OT bow out then none of that would have happened. DOFP is quite obviously not planned as their exit. Sequels may not materialize but they are a definite consideration going on from everything said. As for the FC cast I wouldn't say they are that "hot" right now other than Jennifer. The others aren't especially well known outside X-Men fans. Fassbender and McAvoy are not A listers.

They are not going to continue to make main trilogy sequels if this film effectively erases the main trilogy by going back and making "changes" that make the events of the main trilogy no longer happen.

If what people want, like Cyclops and Jean coming back, actually happen, then there won't be any more main trilogy sequels building off of a continuity that has been disregarded and erased.

The thing is, if this movie was really about the main cast, they didn't even HAVE to use the First Class cast, they could have just as effectively told the Days Of Future Past story without them. In fact, they probably could have more effectively told the story without the First Class cast, and it would have been cheaper for the studio.

The original story doesn't have time travel into the "past"... it has time travel into the "present". The original story has a future Kitty Pryde (or the cartoon using a future Bishop) to time travel back to the timeline's current "present", to change events leading up to an, at that point, unforeseen future.

The original story doesn't have anything to do with going back in time to before certain events in the existing timeline happened, and changing a timeline of things we already know. It has to do with changing the timeline of things that have yet to pass.

The movie could have had their apocalyptic future, sent someone back to the current "present", which would be after X-Men: The Last Stand and The Wolverine, to change an as of yet unforeseen incident from happening to prevent the apocalyptic future from happening.

The fact that the First Class cast is in this at all is proof that the focus in on First Class, and the main trilogy cast are just the sprinkles on top. Days Of Future Past came about from what was originally going to be First Class 2, but the ideas changed, Vaughn left, Singer took over, and it became Days Of Future Past. This is obviously a First Class sequel, with the main trilogy sprinkles on top, and any future of the franchise will revolve around the First Class cast, who is still under contract, and not the main trilogy cast who is not all under contract.

They are not going to continue to make main trilogy sequels if this film effectively erases the main trilogy by going back and making "changes" that make the events of the main trilogy no longer happen.

If what people want, like Cyclops and Jean coming back, actually happen, then there won't be any more main trilogy sequels building off of a continuity that has been disregarded and erased.

They clearly aren't going to do that though. Singer has said "some changes" will happen. I don't know why people keep ignoring what the official sources say. Even if some events are changed not all will be so it won't wipe out the OT. It will just remove some events from canon and allow them to take the franchise in a direction that TLS didn't allow for. I have no idea if it will reverse Cyclops and Jean Grey's deaths, it doesn't really matter if it does as most of the timeline could still stay in place which doesn't wipe any movies out of canon it just alters the outcome a in places while allowing all to still exist in part.

This is not only a FC sequel. Again people are deliberately choosing to ignore what has officially been said so they can further their own agenda's in posts. It is an "inbetweenquel" to both timelines. That means it is not making one more important than another. Even with the 1973 era getting some more screentime it is still very much about the OT era as well. Yes, it can't be denied that the storyline does effect the OT era more than the 1973 one so the future in a sense does have more impact on the whole thing. It's still a movie bridging both timelines though. And it is not said to be or giving the impression of being about ending the future era and setting up the FC characters as the sequel stars. Until if and when that is said (which would actually be a contradiction) then it really shouldn't be getting stated like it's fact.

Old timeline:
FC -> DOFP (1973 till Logan make changes) -> X1 -> United -> TLS -> DOFP (till Logan back from past)

New timeline:
FC -> DOFP (whole action in 1973) -> DOFP (after Logan back from past) -> next X-Men movie

So we should say DOFP is sequel to FC, prequel to X1 and sequel to TLS, or we should say it's only sequel to FC. This movie is about both timelines, so I choose first option, as Singer said ,,inbetween-quel".

9572103999_e74e29dd42_o.gif

That would be fabulous.

As much as I love the OT cast (I LOVE THEM ALOT), I would be down for a complete recasting while keeping the FC cast in place. That would mean a new Cyclops, Jean, Rogue, Storm and even Wolverine.

The flipside of the argument would be that why didn't they just follow through with a First Class Sequel as it would have been way more cheaper than paying the salaries of the OT cast. If Fox were so confident in continuing with the FC cast why are they bringing back the OT cast in the first place, They could just as easily tell Days of Future Past without the OT Cast.

In your post you make it seem that the idea of Days of Future Past only came about after Singer took over as director. I would like to remind you that not only were the domain names for DOFP registered around February/March of 2012 but Singer, serving as a producer, announced in August that the movie would be titled Days of Future Past. Mark Millar even talked about how he and Vaughn were working together to develop the story etc. It wasn't until september that Singer took over as Director than in October he tweeted the return of the FC cast and Patrick and Ian.

So quite obviously Days of Future Past was in development even with Vaughn in the director's seat. Fox just seemed not overly confident with the FC cast in making as close to Avenger blockbuster numbers as possible. So they quite early on decided to bring back the Original Cast.

The future is where the action begins and no matter what happens in the 70's it is the future that the audience will be invested in simply because everything going on in the past is because they're trying to prevent the future. The OT may not have the biggest role but they do have a significant role to play in the film.

Fox will want to keep all options open and would more than likely want to wait for the reaction from audiences to both casts before deciding which cast to go forward with. It is not a foregone conclusion as you seem to make it sound.

fans will keep arguing about this forever, lol.

Singer said it pretty clear, its somehow a sequel to Fc and a sequel to OT, but mainly is ITS OWN THING.

Its "One story" that happens to include the two casts. But its not a direct sequel to FC (since its set 11 years later and doesnt include all the FC cast) and its not a direct sequel to X3, because its many years after that movie and not all the actors are returning.

You know the odd thing is that Bryan Singer seemed more focused on bringing in the OT Cast while shaving off most of the FC cast.

I hope they only change X3 and make it that the whole cure thing did happen, but Cyclops didn't get all mopey and Jean is still sleeping at the bottom of the lake.

You know the odd thing is that Bryan Singer seemed more focused on bringing in the OT Cast while shaving off most of the FC cast.

A majority of the film will be in the 70s. That's confirmed. Cast was shaved off for a reason. We got the main players back.

The future is where the action begins and no matter what happens in the 70's it is the future that the audience will be invested in simply because everything going on in the past is because they're trying to prevent the future. The OT may not have the biggest role but they do have a significant role to play in the film.

Fox will want to keep all options open and would more than likely want to wait for the reaction from audiences to both casts before deciding which cast to go forward with. It is not a foregone conclusion as you seem to make it sound.

not really because the whole story in the past isn't just gonna be about changing the future, wolverine is probably not gonna be in every scene in the past, each character will have growth, even singer said its gonna be mostly the 70s that each character will have something they will have to overcome and grow as characters, so to say audiences won't invest in them is silly

chances are FOX ain't just doing this to see reactions to where they should go next, truth is another FC film would do well and so would a OT film and if you can work with both... then why not, you have a great FC cast with 1 more film on contract i think they will take that last film, fassbender and lawrence will most likely be huge stars by then from how fast they are growing in fame, same with mcavoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"