Days of Future Past Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - - - Part 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's simple, really.

There are some minor errors and contradictions in the continuity, no greater in the X-Men film series than in any other expansive series of films. Star Wars has continuity errors and contradictions just as big, if not bigger, than anything found in the X-Men films.

Certain pieces of dialogue from X-Men, like "15 years" (in regards to Logan and Stryker), Xavier and Magneto meeting at 17, and a couple things from X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, like Xavier walking when recruiting Jean Grey, or recruiting Cyclops, Emma Frost, and the other students, respectively, and other minor things like various versions of Emma Frost, Beast, or Bolivar Trask, are simple errors. They don't break a timeline, they are simply things that people had better ideas about later on down the line.

The continuity isn't broken. It's not irreparable. It doesn't even need to be repaired in the first place. It is what it is.

Just accept that a couple small scenes, and a couple pieces of dialogue don't line up, and the movies flow together just fine.

For X-Maniac, wanting a timeline, it's simple:

X-Men: First Class (1963) -> X-Men Origins: Wolverine (1973-1979, or 1975-1981) -> X-Men (2012) -> X2 (2012) -> X-Men: The Last Stand (2013)* -> The Wolverine (2014) -> X-Men: Days Of Future Past (2023-new 1973)

*Marked X-Men 3 in 2013 to account for the new President from X2. Timing would apply to the real world, as an election would be held in 2012, with a new President taking oath in 2013. Plus, with Alkali Lake being all snowy in X2, and not so snowy in X-Men 3, you could say that X2 takes place in winter of 2012, with X-Men 3 taking place in spring or summer of 2013.

I guess that's why their doing DoFP - to fix these things. And they've said that's their intention. It doesn't bother me in my continuity because I disclude certain films. 'Nothing wrong with that.

I should note that FC takes place in 1962.

They have no said that is their intention.

That, however, is the only thing I will say about that. These same conversations are on a rotating cycle.

By "intention" I don't believe Bamf means the entire purpose of the film. Obviously that's not the case, and shouldn't be.

But with a film like this, that opportunity does present itself, and Singer has clearly stated that he'll take advantage. Whether you like it or not, Nell.

And all films remain in continuity, whether YOU like it or not, Bamf. ;)

By "intention" I don't believe Bamf means the entire purpose of the film. Obviously that's not the case, and shouldn't be.

But with a film like this, that opportunity does present itself, and Singer has clearly stated that he'll take advantage. Whether you like it or not, Nell.

That was my intention with the word "intention," yes. :up:

Now, yes, they have to create the films with the entire series in mind - I'm not trying to imply that they're going to ignore any of the installments with DoFP, but viewers are entitled to pick and choose which films they choose to keep in their own personal cut of the series. But obviously that can't affect discussion about the series as a whole.

But the thing is - people are making assumptions about what Singer is going to do with that "opportunity"

Singer made his "fix things" remark, but for all we know, the "fix things" was bringing back Xavier, Rogue, and Magneto.

People are running away with assumptions that Singer is going to erase films from continuity, or bring back Cyclops and Jean, or whatever other ideas people have.

But we don't know, and won't know until the film comes out. For all we know, Singer is going to wipe out the entire continuity and completely reboot the series. Or, for all we know, there will be some minor tweaks that really don't impact the overall narrative in even the least, slightest bit.

Because we don't know what Singer did. There's been no expressed mission statement in terms of continuity alterations except for contradicting remarks of "fixing things", whatever that means, and remarks about respecting the full continuity of the series.

So no, we don't know that Singer's "intention" is to fix those continuity "errors" or unfavorable creative choices.

I thought present in DOFP happens 10 years after TLS, and past in DOFP happens 10 years after FC, so FC and TLS are in the same continuity. They doesn't move Logan's mind to different timeline in past, but just to past.
IMO:
1962 - Moira about 24 yo (fish in CIA, just after University)
2003 - Moira about 65 yo (still looks very young)
I you're saying Moira isn't about 65 in The Last Stand, but about 75, then ok.

The one way to fix it, is Logan's mind moves to past in different timeline, otherwise what happened before 1973 is in the same timeline as X1-X2-X3.

I thought present in DOFP happens 10 years after TLS, and past in DOFP happens 10 years after FC, so FC and TLS are in the same continuity. They doesn't move Logan's mind to different timeline in past, but just to past.
IMO:
1962 - Moira about 24 yo (fish in CIA, just after University)
2003 - Moira about 65 yo (still looks very young)
I you're saying Moira isn't about 65 in The Last Stand, but about 75, then ok.

The one way to fix it, is Logan's mind moves to past in different timeline, otherwise what happened before 1973 is in the same timeline as X1-X2-X3.

And in the comics, Jean was born in 1956, but are you really going to tell me that Jean is 57 in the comic universe?

Are you going to tell me that she was 7 when she came to Xavier's mansion in X-Men #1?

But the thing is - people are making assumptions about what Singer is going to do with that "opportunity"

Singer made his "fix things" remark, but for all we know, the "fix things" was bringing back Xavier, Rogue, and Magneto.

People are running away with assumptions that Singer is going to erase films from continuity, or bring back Cyclops and Jean, or whatever other ideas people have.

But we don't know, and won't know until the film comes out. For all we know, Singer is going to wipe out the entire continuity and completely reboot the series. Or, for all we know, there will be some minor tweaks that really don't impact the overall narrative in even the least, slightest bit.

Because we don't know what Singer did. There's been no expressed mission statement in terms of continuity alterations except for contradicting remarks of "fixing things", whatever that means, and remarks about respecting the full continuity of the series.

So no, we don't know that Singer's "intention" is to fix those continuity "errors" or unfavorable creative choices.

But you're also making assumptions when you vehemently deny the possibilities.

But in movies they care about reality (read: aging).
Don't remember which year was in comic#1.
We know FC isn't reboot, so we have to find solution to keep continuty between all movies in serie.
Don't understand why people still talking about Beast look, everybody knows he had ape, cat look and used image inducer in comic.

But you're also making assumptions when you vehemently deny the possibilities.

Touche.

But in movies they care about reality (read: aging).
Don't remember which year was in comic#1.
We know FC isn't reboot, so we have to find solution to keep continuty between all movies in serie.
Don't understand why people still talking about Beast look, everybody knows he had ape, cat look and used image inducer in comic.

Do they? Do they really care about aging?

Xavier and Raven were the same age when they met in X-Men: First Class. After they were older, Xavier was much older than he was.

And before you mention the "anti-aging" gene she had or whatever, she also -acted- younger than he was, and was -treated- younger than he was by being grouped as a kid, while he, Magneto, and Moira all went off on their CIA stuff.

Logan was a little boy in the 1800's, and now has been Hugh Jackman for... 150 years? Why wasn't Logan's healing factor keeping him from aging before he became Hugh Jackman?

And going to another series of movies... 20 years passed between Star Wars: Episode III and Star Wars: Episode IV. Obi Wan aged far more than 20 years between his 2 versions.

No, movies don't care about pin point accuracy aging. And the X-Men movies are no different.

Evan Peters IO9 interview:

http://io9.com/x-men-days-of-future-pasts-quicksilver-will-have-silv-1444043368

IO9: Bryan singer tweeted a picture of the set where he's filming your scenes at Quicksilver, and it's set up to film at 3600 frames per second. Holy cow. What it like shooting in that?

Evan: Bright. It was incredibly bright. A lot of the crew and Bryan, himself, got to wear sunglasses. And the actors had to keep their eyes open for a long, long time, with that bright light just blaring at you. It's like the sun. It's brighter than the sun. It's right there in your eyes. But the end result is so worth it. You just power through it.

IO9: Does it hurt?

Evan: It does kind of hurt. I don't know how safe that is? Keeping your eyes open for more than 20 seconds in that light. But yeah it does hurt. It's really difficult to keep your eyes open.

IO9: I only saw a part of the set in Singer's photo — how big is the actual set? What does the footage look like when it's all done?

Evan: It's quite a big room. It's super, super, super, super slomo. You can see raindrops frozen in the air. Stuff like that. It's amazing how that camera works.

IO9: How does that change the way you deliver your lines or throw a punch?

Evan: You don't do anything differently other than try to keep your eyes open in the bright light. And try to make it look cool, I guess.

IO9: Will your character actually have silver hair?

Evan: Yes. Yeah. Yeah, it's cool.

IO9: Do you think everybody else just seems slow and boring to Quicksilver?

Evan: Yes! I read one of the comics where he says that it's like waiting at an ATM, when the people in front of you don't know how to use it. That's how his whole life is, everybody is so slow to him. And he has the ability to go so fast, he's just waiting for everybody to catch up. It's pretty cool, that character trait.

IO9: What was it like working with Ian McKellen as your father, Magneto?

Evan: No, I worked with Michael Fassbender. And he's awesome. He's amazing to work with. I worked with him and Hugh [Jackman] and James [McAvoy]. And… I won't say any more. I worked with all of them. They are awesome. Seriously, the nicest people in the world, couldn't have been more welcoming.

IO9: What was your favorite piece of 70s clothing that you got to wear?

Evan: The jeans. And the jacket — I had a pretty sweet jacket.

There's confirmation, right there, he's doing more than just the [blackout]glass prison break.[/blackout] Which certainly isn't surprising. Good stuff. :up:

Quicksilver will have his silver hair from comics.Cool.

Another instance of them trying to be more comic accurate with DOFP than In past.

He has what looks like black-ish hair with plenty of silver streaks throughout and silver eyebrows. His jacket seems to have a greenish tint to it, which is neat. And his goggles! :hrt:

Remember when some claimed Bryan Singer only wanted quicksilver for one action
sequenze? That's been thrown out.He's sharing screen with at least 3 of big 6 of 1973
part of film-Mcavoy,fassbender,and Jackman.The other big 3 i would call Lawrence,Dirklage,and Hoult.

I'm thinking he works with Hoult and Lawrence too, 'just didn't mention them.

Just watched X-Men Origins: Wolverine, agree not 1979, it's 1978.

Look at his new Dog Tag when he got adamantium:
Wolverine -> Name
45825243 -> Serial Number defining the service type as a Draftee
T78 -> Year of Service 1978
A -> Blood type

Quicksilver will have his silver hair from comics.Cool.

Another instance of them trying to be more comic accurate with DOFP than In past.

Well before this, there were 2 leaked pictures of Quicksilver so this isn't really surprising.

Sooooo, by the interview. Can it be assumed that he did acknowledge that magneto is quicksilver's father?

There's confirmation, right there, he's doing more than just the [blackout]glass prison break.[/blackout] Which certainly isn't surprising. Good stuff. :up:

Remember when some claimed Bryan Singer only wanted quicksilver for one action
sequenze? That's been thrown out.He's sharing screen with at least 3 of big 6 of 1973
part of film-Mcavoy,fassbender,and Jackman.The other big 3 i would call Lawrence,Dirklage,and Hoult.

He might be doing more than that, but how much more?

For all we know, Logan and Xavier are part of the prison break sequence. Afterall, Logan -does- have to track down Magneto. This could be when he does it. Learning of Magneto's whereabouts through Quicksilver.

I just don't anticipate Quicksilver having a very beefy role. But the prison sequence certainly has high hype for it.

Sooooo, by the interview. Can it be assumed that he did acknowledge that magneto is quicksilver's father?

One could.

He ducked the question, I think it'd be a bit of a stretch to take it from that interview that he acknowledged it.

That said, I'm certain that they will make Quicksilver Magneto's son, with or without an interview acknowledgment.

I just feel like this is one familiar relationship that they will acknowledge and roll with. I also welcome this acknowledgement.

Actually I agree, felt more like he dodged the question. They could always go with a surrogate son kind of thing like what they should have done with Pyro.

He has what looks like black-ish hair with plenty of silver streaks throughout and silver eyebrows. His jacket seems to have a greenish tint to it, which is neat. And his goggles! :hrt:

It's a pretty poor quality picture with bad lighting. I think it'll look more platinum colored than that.

I wouldn't say he dodged the question about whether magneto was his father but more dodging slipping up and saying saying to much.

Fassbenders comment at comic con puts it pretty likely they are father and son, would be very misleading of fassbender otherwise.

It's Comic Con, everyone there knows the source material - Fassbender could've just been referencing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"