Daywalker films:The Blade thread

I have another question about Blade. In the behind the scenes extras on Blade 2, it is said that Damasquinos was 5000 years old. I think Ryan Reynold's character said that Dracula himselfs age was much less...how is that possible if Dracula is the first of their kind?

Well, in the extended version Abi said Dracula was 6 or 7000 years old.

And that may just have been how long he was sleeping. His reign may have lasted centuries before that.

Well, no, he went to sleep after the events of Stokers book. King said the, the events described is Stoker yarn is just a piece of the mosaic, his true origins date back much, much further than that

Blade; "how much?

Abi: "Try six or seven THOUSAND years."

I was watching Blade 2 yesterday, and am at awe at how awesome it still is. The scene at the beginning with Nomak in the bloodbank; when Nomak reveals himself and attacks that lady, i wonder if the security guard is using silver bullets when he shoots him...?

I'm presuming vamps use silver bullets against each other.

Golgo13:The Hitman said:
I was watching Blade 2 yesterday, and am at awe at how awesome it still is. The scene at the beginning with Nomak in the bloodbank; when Nomak reveals himself and attacks that lady, i wonder if the security guard is using silver bullets when he shoots him...?

I'm presuming vamps use silver bullets against each other.

It is indeed still a cool film. Also, it surprises me how little the special effects have actually dated, i would have thought they would have dated much more by now.

AVEITWITHJAMON said:
It is indeed still a cool film. Also, it surprises me how little the special effects have actually dated, i would have thought they would have dated much more by now.

I agree that Blade 2 still looks good and I never get tired of it. Part 1 did not hold up that well in special efx department. Overall Blade 1 & 2 look like a theater release while Blade Trinity looks more like a TV movie.

Man,
I'm not alone in my derision of Blade Trinity. I too thought that the movie would totally rock with Goyer at the helm. Blade I is slightly ahead of Blade 2 as my favorite, but Blade 2 was such a rush. I don't see how people/critics could say the franchise was tired in their reviews of Trinity until I actually saw the movie.

The Blade franchise has life in it, but it is Goyer that needed to go, or give the director chair to someone else. He took on too much.

Drake was a poorly conceived villian. I don't blame the actor for that. He did okay, with what he was given. But it was clear that Drake had no plan or goal. Deacon Frost and Damaskinos both had plans that they were trying to work, they were trying to bring evil plots to fruition. But what was Drake's purpose?

(And he had a hard act to follow in Frost, Damaskinos, and Nomak. But it could've been done, with a little work and more thought. Goyer did a great take on Ra's Al Ghul and Scarecrow in Batman Begins. So I know it was still in him.)

I actually liked the concept of Drake being bored with humanity, civilization and taking a deep sleep. I wished they had played that up some more and had him commenting on today's society. Goyer tried to do that, in poor fashion, with Drake's trip to the Dracula store.

(Sidenote: I think Djimon Hounsou(sp) would've been excellent in the Drake role though, and would've matched up well against Snipes.)

Back to rant...Also, why does Drake run from Blade? He is the King of Vampires? As a shapeshifter why does he use a sword to fight Blade? The final battle should've been more than a rehash of Blade I.

I also thought Danica Talos was a weak villian as well. She was more trashy than chic, and the wierd sense of humor, or line delivery didn't help her character in my eyes. She seemed more like a sidekick than a vampire determined to lead or carve a niche in the Vampire nation. Which I assumed was the reason she awakened Drake.

The cool vampire politics that was in Blade I, and at least mentioned in Blade II, was completely absent in this movie. I didn't read the novelization, and why should I have to? But I found myself imagining that Danica was resurrecting Drake in a bid to reunify the Vampire nation. I wish there had been more talk of that. Also, what happened with the divide between Pure Bloods and Half Bloods?

And the vampires were way too weak in Trinity. I can accept Hannibal King fighting them since he was a former vamp, but Abigail was kicking their asses-while wearing an IPOD, like it was nobodies business. What happened to the superior strength, quickness of Vampires in Blade I. To be fair, Karen Jensen also dispatched Mercury(?) a bit too easily, but hell, she had been through a lot and I can forgive that.

And the lack of an Abigail/Whistler scene was criminal in hindsight. I agree with another poster that the Abigail character didn't even need to be Whistler's daughter. In fact, she was only in there to be eye candy and to take a shower scene that could've better been spent on showing or action or giving Drake some nefarious plotting time.

Keep Hannibal King-I thought he played well against Blade, but replace Abigail with Karen Jensen. I think that would've made more sense. And gave some closure to the Blade/Jensen subplot. I could easily see Karen joining the Nightstalkers, and becoming one of their top scientists/Vampire experts. Her cure could've even played a hand in saving Hannibal King.

I think a lot of Trinity existed to allow Goyer to put in some cool ideas-Blood Bank, car case-that he wanted to include in the other movies, but wasn't able to.

And the extended version on the Trinity DVD was even more muddled. I tend to go with the theatrical version.

And I can see why Wesley was pissed. He's face,name, and likeness are tied to Blade. They have been his most successful string of movies, and his career would rise or fall with their success. So, I can see how he would be very sensitive to make Trinity as good as the other films. And I can also see how he would take offense to Biel and Reynolds getting more focus and development than him. In fact, Trinity being a launching pad for the Nightstalkers.

Hopefully, Goyer will be able to redeem himself with the Blade TV series. I hope he quickly wraps up the consequencs of the loose threads from Trinity, and gets back to form. What he has to remember is that people watch Blade movies to see Blade. Not the supporting cast. A good supporting cast, and especially great villians keep people watching and coming back, but initially we want to see Blade tear through something.

^. I agree except with the fact to keep King. The humor in Trinity(if you can call it that) was too forced. The humor in Blade 2 was far more superior (especially the dialogue from Whistler, Scud and Reinhardt) because they weren't necessarily trying to be funny with each other. There is so much wrong with Trinity that i could go on about it for weeks, like:

Why did the vamps need lamps to go into the pyramid to get Dracula, can't vamps see in the dark?

Golgo13,
That's a real good observation about Vamps needing lamps. I didn't even think about that. They shouldn't need lamps. But as I said in my post, Trinity really weakened the vampires, making them too easily beatable and not all that bright.

Yeah, your right. Abigail plowed through them like they were nothing.

When in Blade 1 and II, Abigail would have taken a severe beating before even getting close enough to kill one.

Golgo13:The Hitman said:
Yeah, your right. Abigail plowed through them like they were nothing.

To be fair, the first time we see Abigail, the vamps she's fighting probably hadn't been vampires that long, anyway. I could believe she could take them down with enough training and skill. At the end, she was fighting mostly human guards, hence all the helmets and body armor.

But yeah, her and Hannibal were just underdeveloped as characters. And if anything, Hannibal should have been the one to kill Danica for good. He just gets lucky once the plague spreads. It would have been fun to see him stake her, or blow off her head or something.

Somerfield's the one who should have been replaced with Karen Jensen, if they needed a character who was up on vampire biology and genetics. Karen was a Hematologist, for crying out loud!! That's what I don't understand about Goyer, he creates these characters and the thought doesn't cross his mind, "maybe this would be a good time to bring back Karen Jensen!" It's all but confirmed at the end of the first Blade that she refines his serum, why wouldn't she be the one to develope the new inhaler? Even if you couldn't get back N'bushe Wright, recast, dammit!! I mean, Natasha Lyone's casting in this film so misses the mark, they had to ADR her death scream with another woman, 'cause homegirl's voice was all jacked up from smoking!!

I think Blade has been the most consistent of the Marvel movie franchises. You have your X-Men and X2, your Daredevil/Elektra, your Spidey films.... and then the Blade trilogy, and for me, the one that's most consistently retained the highest quality is Blade. I love 'em all, though I'd rank the first one last and the second one first at this point.

I wouldnt say they are the most consistent, if X3 turns out even half as good as X2 then that will be the best superhero trilogy hands down until Spidey 3 comes along at least. I would say that the Blade Trilogy is underrated though, even though Trinity was a bad entry.

Well, the third film of most comic book franchises are when things seem to head downward. And if you notice, it's always because they try to force some comedic element:

*Superman III - Richard Pryor?!?
*Batman Forever - Jim Carrey. . . .as the Riddler!!
*Blade Trinity - Van Wilder, Patton Oswald, and two members of the Christopher Guest troupe (Parkey Posey and John Michael Higgins).

The shoehorning of humor played an integral role in killing all of these franchises. Surely, there were other factors, but where the humor is concerned, it would indicate that the filmmakers no longer took the franchises seriously. Their mentality possibly being, "the story doesn't need to be THAT great. The audience loved 'em the first and second times, just throw a joke in here and there to fill in the gaps. I can't only hope this won't be the case with X3.

Parker Posey didn't play it comedic, although Higgins SUCKED in Trinity.

I like Trinity more than the first one at this point, actually. Mostly because it's so hard to stomach certain elements of the finale/special effects in the first movie.

And as for X-Men... well, I've always been disappointed that they didn't focus on new, different team members in the second one, so I was never very happy with that film. Instead, they once again handed the film over to Wolverine. I liked having a couple of focal characters in the first one, but I expected the focus to change with each entry. It's a team superhero franchise, not a Wolverine franchise. Now that they're talking about doing a Wolverine spinoff, I wonder if they somehow failed to notice that Wolverine's already had two (likely three) movies.

Watched Blade I again the other day and it still is a good movie, but II will always be the pinnacle of this trilogy for me.

Watched the first Blade movie for the first time in a long time tonight and you know what? Its still pretty damn awesome, 2 is still the best for me, but 1 hasnt aged no were near as much as I thought it would have. The first 2 movies are just totally awesome, shame the 3rd ****ed it up a bit but at least its still watchable, unlike the dreadful X3 IMO.

The first two Blade movies will always go down as some of the best martial arts action. I look at them like old school Asian martial art films. Those things still look good no matter how good technology gets, because it's just pure choreography at it's best. I feel the same way with the first two Blade movies. Sure the blood effects are dated, but Snipes kicking ass will always be gold because he is the man. As for Blade: Trinity............I'm just going to think positive thoughts. Blade 1 & 2 FTW!:woot:

I really wish that they come out with an animated movie with Snipes as the voice. The man breathed so much into the character, and I think he deserves one last go round. I think an animated short would be a great way to do the character some justice. I want to see an Afro Samurai style Blade. Make it happen Marvel!:yay:

^I think a fourth movie that finishes the story properly would be more appropriate. That Apocolypse one that Goyer wrote sounds like an amazing idea, especially now Snipes is older and could pull off a run down Blade well. Would be a great way to close out the franchise.

^I think a fourth movie that finishes the story properly would be more appropriate. That Apocolypse one that Goyer wrote sounds like an amazing idea, especially now Snipes is older and could pull off a run down Blade well. Would be a great way to close out the franchise.
In a perfect world that would make a ton of sense. But something just tells me Marvel has had it's fill of live action Blade for awhile. I don't think they'll dust off Blade for another movie until about 15 years from now when Hollywood scratches it off the "remake list." Hopefully I'm wrong. I really want to see Wesley do something with Blade again.

^I think you are right, Blade just doesnt seem to be on the agenda at the moment, which is a shame, as I can only really see Snipes in the role and very soon he will simply be too old.

I really like the first two films. It's sad that Goyer had to ruin the third one. Someone else should have directed it. It's still somewhat watchable, but you know, it's not really good.

^Its better than X-Men 3 at least, but yeah, another director should have been chosen. The action was a big step down in Blade 3, pretty much everything else was too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"