Daywalker films:The Blade thread

The first two Blade movies will permanantely have a soft spot in my heart. Blade II might even be in my top 10. They're just too damned cool.

Trinity sucks copious amounts of ass. They killed Whister, which was a sin they where smart enough to undo in II. Drakeula was a German night club bouncer, when in reality they should've Coppola's/Oldman's Dracula as a basis. Blade was like third fiddle behind the Nightstalkers. It was a disgrace.

Once Wesley's legal problems clear up Blade IV should be his comeback.

^Agreed about Blade II, it is such a cool CB movie and the dialogue is priceless.

I really dig Blade I and II. II in particular, Del Toro is just such an imaginative master. The action, the obvious fun Wesley was having making it, the look and feel of it, those freaky ass reapers.

Blade Trinity, what the hell happened! Well, Goyer's script just need to be directed by others, because his directing stinks (the Unborn is even worse than this) Like dude said, Blade's tossed to the side for the nightstalkers (one who's hot but boring and the other is a constantly annoying blabbermouth) Oh and the third film doesn't have one thing that both Blade and Blade II have. It doesn't have a good villain. Dude's on the money.

^Its better than X-Men 3 at least,
It is. I can't stand The Last Stand (teehee), but Trinity I've actually seen twice (TC and DC. DC's actually lil better). While it's a bad film, it's not a complete ****. Don't think I'll watch it for the third time though.

but yeah, another director should have been chosen.
Didn't Snipes want to choose the director but then New Line ****ed him over? I wonder who he had in mind... I know del Toro was offered the gig, but he turned it down 'cause of Hellboy.

I know I'm going to get massive amounts of debris tossed at me for this, but this is a Blade thread so.........I liked Blade 1 and 2 better than The Dark Knight. *ducks and runs out of thread*

Then you must still chuckle when Scud refers to Blade as the Dark Knight.

TDK is overly overrated anyway...

I think it's overrated too. I love the film, but it got a little out of hand in terms of hype. It lived up to the hype before people started acting like every comic film was Batman & Robin before TDK came along. Besides Snipes played a better Blade than Bale as Bruce/Batman, and the fight scenes for TDK was terrible. It's still one of my favorite films though. It's just that Blade 1 and 2 were more fun and consistent. Blade 1 also has the greatest line ever uttered on film....."Some muther****ers are always trying to ice skate up hill.":woot:

It is. I can't stand The Last Stand (teehee), but Trinity I've actually seen twice (TC and DC. DC's actually lil better). While it's a bad film, it's not a complete ****. Don't think I'll watch it for the third time though.

I have sat through both multiple times, and can comfortable say Blade 3 is better.

Didn't Snipes want to choose the director but then New Line ****ed him over? I wonder who he had in mind... I know del Toro was offered the gig, but he turned it down 'cause of Hellboy.

I cant really remember now, I believe Snipes was happy with the director choice at first.

I think it's overrated too. I love the film, but it got a little out of hand in terms of hype. It lived up to the hype before people started acting like every comic film was Batman & Robin before TDK came along. Besides Snipes played a better Blade than Bale as Bruce/Batman, and the fight scenes for TDK was terrible. It's still one of my favorite films though. It's just that Blade 1 and 2 were more fun and consistent. Blade 1 also has the greatest line ever uttered on film....."Some muther****ers are always trying to ice skate up hill.":woot:

Its over-rated, but still an amazing movie, the first 2 Blade movies are great in a different way, thats all.

yeah I was fine with Dracula being the villian in Blade 3, but it should have at least been the Tomb of Dracula Dracula. Someon cold and old fashioned and just ****ing sick as ****

Blade 1/2 Shows imo the depth of the Marvel back catolouge regarding heroes sure they have the big guns of Spidey and wolverine but to take a forgotten semi 70s blaxploitation hero and bring him bang up to date in an amazing CBM shows what can be done with Marvels lesser characters Iron Man is another example,yes, he is far more well known but he is in essence a 2nd tier character but faverou brought us one of the best CBM ever.

I just hope if they reboot Daredevil they show the same love i would also love to see Cloak and Dagger who are a very interesting but very lesser known team i remember reading when i was younger.

i would also love to see Cloak and Dagger who are a very interesting but very lesser known team i remember reading when i was younger.
Cloak and Dagger movie could work. But it kinda needs to be R.

I might be the only one who thinks Blade Trinity is solid. How anyone didn't like Reynold's in the film is beyond me, ****, it's partially why he was chosen for Deadpool in the new Wolverine. His mouth, (however I've been a fan of dude since 2 Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place) and the RZA's music blended nicely with the film (being a hip hop head also helped). I enjoyed it all and couldn't have been more pleased

bring on Blade 4

How anyone didn't like Reynold's in the film is beyond me, ****, it's partially why he was chosen for Deadpool in the new Wolverine. His mouth blended nicely with the film
I believe some people would have preferred comic accurate Hannibal King who is not deadpool-like mouthy character.

:cwink:

Cloak and Dagger movie could work. But it kinda needs to be R.

Yeah i would love it to be kind of view of the world of drugs but with the fantasy vigilante element of the main characters it would have to be 18 or R (or whatever the high age rating is now) the drugs scenes would have to be harrowing and unsettling as a result.

I know I'm going to get massive amounts of debris tossed at me for this, but this is a Blade thread so.........I liked Blade 1 and 2 better than The Dark Knight. *ducks and runs out of thread*

Blade > Batman and Reinhardt > Joker. :ninja:

I believe some people would have preferred comic accurate Hannibal King who is not deadpool-like mouthy character.

yea, but if they were going to switch his character up, this was the way to do it. Come on, Reynold's is just Godlike and too likeable to not enjoy his quips.
"What does one Lesbian Vampire say to the other Lesbian Vampire".........."See you in 28 Days"

"Do you EVER blink"?......."Sorry, I've had too much sugar this morning"

"YOU MADE A GOD DAMN VAMPIRE POMERANIAN?"

"Only this vampire's fangs are located in her Vagina"

seriously, the guys hilarious (in my eyes at least) and made the film that much more enjoyable

I enjoyed Ryan Reynolds, he made me chuckle, but they shouldn't have named him Hannibal King. I would have loved a more accurate Hannibal King

I'm sure I've commented on this before. I liked Reynolds in Trinity. I liked the back and forth with Blade, one of the few bright spots. As hot as Jessica Biel is, I thought she was unnecessary. I would've rather had Reynolds and Blade in a kind of buddy movie, both applying their different styles to the Dracula problem. Perhaps it could've led to Blade becoming a mentor of sorts to King, a new role for him to play after Whistler's death.

Reynolds wasn't the problem with Trinity, nor was the guy playing Drake. However, the way Goyer used the Drake/Dracula character was lame. He was supposed to be super badass, with shape-shifting abilities and all he did was run away from Blade and then sword fight him. Now perhaps he was just testing Blade during the chase scene, and seeing himself as a great warrior, he wanted to best Blade in swordplay, but it seemed like Dracula was 'lowering' himself. Why not make Blade fight on his level instead of acting like he had something to prove to Blade?

Also, what was Dracula's motivation? What was his endgame?

I hated Danica Talos and her gang. They were really weak. Parker Posey's weird mannerisms/delivery were off-putting. Grimwood had potential, but I wish he had been the leader or at least rolled with a better, more competent crew. Both Frost's guys and the Bloodpack would've smoked the Talos group in two seconds.

It seems strange that they didn't have any scenes with Abigail and Whistler, and why wasn't anyone raising more alarms when the dead 'Whistler' showed up at the Nightstalker compound. Which reminds me how lame this set of Nightstalkers were, with the one black member of course being the one who stole cars. But to be fair, I did like some things in Trinity: Hannibal King, Grimwood, Drake's demonic form, the dogs with the Reaper-strain, the idea to frame Blade and bringing in the FBI. I just wish the story had been better.

Blade Trinity was like a reversion of the franchise. It existed for Goyer to put in the 'cool' scenes that had been left out of the other movies and to launch the Nightstalkers. In a way, I'm glad that it failed, because it should've taught him to keep the focus on Blade. Unfortunately, he didn't quite learn that lesson because Blade took a backseat to Krista in Blade the Series, one of the reasons I feel doomed the show from the start.

But the first two Blade films were awesome. The Goyer-Snipes collaboration made vampires cool and modern again. The Underworld films, among others, owe the Blade franchise a lot. It's still one of the few times that a movie was better than the source material. So far, the Blade comics still can't find the magic that Goyer and Snipes did over a decade ago. Though I hope they continue trying to find it.

I'm iffy about Blade being in the MI:13 book, but at least it keeps him active and it builds on his character development with his budding romance, something Goyer seemed afraid to explore in the movies/TV show.

Despite my disappointment with some aspects of Trinity and Blade the Series I would like to see a wrap up of some kind to the series, perhaps in comic book form. And I would like to see Blade grace the silver screen again, preferably with Snipes, but if not him, maybe Michael Jai White.

Great breakdown DarKush. Cool name too btw. I agree with your points on Reynolds and Drake. Hannibal King wasn't a bad character, and he did add some life to the movie. He got annoying at times though, and I think alot of that had to do with the script and directing. Dracula/Drake was just a sad sad case. What they did to him was like having Apocalypse reanimated to become a background member to some random mutant clique. Dracula should have been a beast on an apocalyptic level. It would have really shown more of Blade's hero side. Instead they just made both background characters. Trinity didn't just miss the point of the Blade series, it missed the point and flew off a cliff Wile E. Coyote style. Then the series just.........:csad:

It's one thing I don't get with Marvel and Blade. It's like they don't know how to use the character or something. In terms of live action they ignored the things that made the character stand out. Then on the comics level they just don't seem to give a damn. It shouldn't be hard to get a good artist on Blade with a writer that gives a damn. Just continue where Blade 2 left off, and ignore Trinity and the series. A Blade comic should be a consistent Marvel seller with the fanbase that Blade has.The same people who made the debut of the TV series will show up if you do it right. Come on Marvel you're better than this.

Thanks E-Man, but I've got to give credit to sci-fi writer Steven Barnes for the name. It's the name of his blogsite.

I agree with you on Drake. But I could tell the movie was in trouble during the commercials, when it said something like Blade has defeated their gods, defeated their demons....I mean, after you defeat the vampire god, what's left? They should've totally made Drake a beast, someone that actually put some fear into Blade. Nomak backed Blade up, but I wanted Drake to actually make Blade have to rethink a few things...but of course never give up.

Though I disagree with you about ignoring the TV show. I think there were parts of it that were good. The continued exploration of the vampire houses-one of my favorite parts of the first Blade film. Marcus was a good, suave villain. Charlotte was creepy, so was the White Prince. Chase was my girl, a real ride or die chick. They didn't do much with Frantz (?), but he had the potential to have been an interesting sidekick. I liked Bokeem Woodbine as Steppin' Razor too.

Also, I liked Shen. I thought he matched up well with Sticky's Blade, and probably would with Wesley too. Krista wasn't a bad character, nor was the actress portraying her, my problem with her was they made her the main character. I would've perferred that Blade be more of a mentor/guide to her, a Batman-Robin type deal. Bringing Blade's father in was a good thing too.

Of course, I didn't like Blade taking a backseat to Krista, I didn't like Blade getting his ass kicked by random vamps, and I didn't like Blade being a stagnant character on his own show.

On to the comics...I agree with you. I've said in other posts that Marvel seems hellbent on hanging on to Blade's continuity and trying to fit aspects of the more successful movies into it, instead of the other way around. I became a fan of Blade after the movies and I would've preferred reading comics more based on the films. I think the films gave Marvel a chance to completely reimagine the Blade universe based on the popular movies. Perhaps that would've brought more fans in and kept them there. If there were enough fans of the old Blade stories he wouldn't have been a D-List character. By reimagining Blade, perhaps Marvel could've satisified old fans and new ones, by keeping the old characters and some of the storylines but putting a fresh twist on them.

Also, I agree that Marvel don't know what to do with him since the movies came out. It should be simple. A hardcore book on the MAX imprint, with blood, bullets, swords, and sex. Use the Punisher series as an inspiration. Instead they seem intent on doing dumb stuff like giving him a gun on the stump of his hand. Or silly haircuts like he's sporting in MI:13. It's almost a crime that Howard Chaykin, who wrote an excellent vampire series, Bite Club, didn't bring that creativity to his run on Blade's last series.

I want them to explore his humanity more. There's been too much focus on his vampiric side. One way to do that is to get Blade laid. Give him someone to care for, to fight for, to die for, something tangible and understandable to protect. I give Guggenheim credit for finally starting to do that in MI:13 though he couldn't do it when he was solely writing the Blade series.

I love the Blade films, honestly., The 1st and second especially, but the third was okay. Ryan Reynold's was hilarious in it, lol.

I watched the 3rd today and its main problem was, as others have pointed out, the sidelining of what should have been the 2 main characters, Blade and Drake. Drake was just appalling, a total non threat compared to Frost and Nomak.

To make him a threat they have him raid a vampire shop and kill 2 people, he should have had a much better scene establishing him as a threat than this. One idea I had would have been him going to a vampire club like Blade did in the first 2 movies, but taking out all of the vampires in the club with NO weapons, just literally tearing them apart with their bare hands a lot quicker and more brutal than Blade did. THIS would have set Drake up as a major threat before the end battle with Blade, which also needed to be a lot better as well.

Trinity is a significant step down from the first 2, though not as much as X3 was to X1 and X2.

Agree with you Kush on Blade's continuity. No one cares about his comic continuity except for a few fans, and they'd probably be so thrilled to see Blade again that they won't care if he's the movie version instead of the old teakwood dagger wielder. They've gotten rid of the corny costume, glasses, and daggers, but they haven't made him the badass that he was in the movies. Even in the short MAX series he had he was a little limited. The Wolverine fight would've been the perfect time to show Blade as a real threat, but he whips out a syringe with vampire blood.:huh: Like I said before, I wish they got a damn good artist, and a writer that will stick with things from the movie Blade that was an unstoppable force save for two great villains.

Jamon your Drake idea is pretty good, but I'd personally alter one thing. Instead of Drake going to a vampire club I'd have Drake take out a military base or something similar. I'd just have Drake not give a damn, and he'd start armageddon by just killing the strongest warriors on the planet(i.e. Marines, Navy SEALS, FBI bases, etc.) This would have given a chance to play into the government tracking down Blade as they would go from tracking him to needing his help to stop Drake. I'd have them arm him up with their best weapons against Drake and his growing legion of vampire followers. Blade would do well killing all the normal vamps with his new weapons until he gets to Drake. After exausting the military weapons Blade goes back to his trusty katana, and he fights Drake using his old style. I'd throw in the corny but cool shades scene in there, and Blade would kill Drake after a long drawn out battle. The government gos to thank him, but they can't find Blade since he vanished with Whistler.

Never read any Blade comics and only saw the first and third movies. I enjoyed them both and want to see Blade II when I can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"