DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So has anything else been mentioned recently in Flash or Teen Titans about the

Watchmen stuff? The only books I read where I see any of that going on now seem to be the recent Detective, the Superman books, Green Lanterns, and what happened in Rebirth special

DC Comics humiliates Marvel with August 2016 marketshare, as Diamond sets a record month of sales:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/16/dc-comics-humiliates-marvel-with-august-2016-marketshare-as-diamond-sets-a-record-month-of-sales/

Marvel had almost a third more comics on sale in August than DC Comics. 93 comics to DC’s 75.

Yet DC Comics destroyed Marvel Comics on marketshare through August across the board, and placed 9 titles in the top 10.

Harley Quinn #1 took the no 1 spot, beating out All-Star Batman #1 and Suicide Squad #1 with more issues of Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad, Batman, Justice League and Supergirl taking up the rest of the top ten.

It took Amazing Spider-Man #16, kicking off their Dead No More event to get Marvel into the Top Ten. Everything else Marvel published was beaten by four comics starring Harley Quinn – and one by Supergirl.

Which yes, sounds insane. This is both the power of DC Rebirth, but also the lack of reverberation in the market from the poorly performing Civil War II crossover, Star Wars sales slipping and the Inhumans storylines having very little traction.

I don’t think it’s going to be much different for September’s figures. And will take until October before Marvel has a chance to turn the tanker around with the launch of Champions #1, and the sale of hundreds of thousands of copies to Scholastic Book Fairs…

Just to remind you in April , DC Comics had a dollar share of 25.82% and a sales share of 25.13%.

In May, that rose slightly to 26.45% and sales share of 26.34%.

In June, that jumped to 29.93% and 31.69%.

July, that was 35.36% and 40.96%

Well, in August, DC Comics owns 39.27% and 44.59%. In four months that is a move of almost 20 percentage points, a remarkable change.

While Marvel Comics, who back in April had a dollar share of 42.98% and sales share of 47.87% have seen that crash and burn to 30.78% and 32.11% a fall of 12 to 15 points.

However, it’s not all bad news for Marvel as overall sales for August 2016 were up over 40% based on those in August 2015. So, even though their marketshare fell lower and faster than any time since Image Comics launched, their sales will still be pretty good.

I see Civil War II is (at least partially) being blamed for Marvel's poor sales... I'm perversely happy about it.

Of course people would prefer spending their money on Rebirth (which I can't wait to start reading btw, especially the new Wonder Woman... damn poverty), something that actually celebrates superheroes, instead of an event that, on the other hand, seems to be taking joy in ruining beloved characters.

Last edited:
Inch by inch DC is taking it's spot back. The Disney deal was great for Marvel films, but their publishing has turned into a glorified advertising department. Big mistake.

DC came out and said that publishing is just as important as the films. The films bring in the big bucks, but publishing will forever be the source material and they're the trail blazers in that regard.

Last edited:
Inch by inch DC is taking it's spot back. The Disney deal was great for Marvel films, but their publishing has turned into a glorified advertising department. Big mistake.

DC came out and said that publishing is just as important as the films. The films bring in the big bucks, but publishing will forever be the source material and they're the trail blazers in that regard.

Actually, Merchandise is where the is big bucks is, DC merch alone earns about more than a billion annually (worldwide), and that's conservative estimate.

So, if Comics, Games, TV series, Movies can boost DC's popularity, it means more merchandise stuff will sell, which brings in big bucks.

Last edited:
Question about this Oz you all keep mentioning.

Is he the same Oz referenced in the Boomerang: Agent of Oz story?

I've been wondering if [BLACKOUT]one of the other prisoners of Oz is Booster Gold. He's oddly absent from Rebirth, especially for a character Johns is a big fan of. Plus, his character and role sets him up as a focal threat to Oz. I'd love to see that happen, and tie in to Giffen's work on Blue Beetle. That particular title has so much potential for emotional Rebirth tie-ins. [/BLACKOUT]

Question about this Oz you all keep mentioning.

Is he the same Oz referenced in the Boomerang: Agent of Oz story?

I'm assuming THAT Oz refers to Australia. The Oz in Rebirth is a mysterious figure with a cane that's been operating behind the scenes.

More potential prisoners:

[BLACKOUT]Atom[/BLACKOUT]
What happened to him in the Rebirth special issue? He was about to deliver an important message to Jaime before he got cut off...

[BLACKOUT]Both New 52 Supes and Lois[/BLACKOUT]
Lois had seen Clark right before she died. Maybe she went wherever he is now...

[BLACKOUT]Boomerang[/BLACKOUT]
Some speculate he actually went in the Phantom Zone, but if he actually died then maybe Oz saved him for a particular reason.

I hope Terra will turn up at some stage, and have interactions with Beast Boy and Deathstroke, and some of the other Titans. Even flashbacks would be cool.

Last edited:
Thoze solicits tho!

Art for Aquaman, Deathstroke, Titans, Green Lanterns, RH&TO, and Cyborg all got my attention.

Especially Titans.

I really like SuperLex's design. I can't say that enough. Same with Lana Lang Superwoman.

Emerald Outlaw for Green Arrow sounds really interesting.

Lots of good stuff coming up! Kyle, Larfleeze, and the Blue Lanterns in GLC, and that mystery guest in Blue Beetle has GOT to be Booster, right?

I think Superman and Harley Quinn were my favs this week. The stories were very simple, to the point, and in the case of the former, heartwarming.

Aquaman was fantastic as always. Enjoyed Trinity as well.

Trinity #1 and Superman #7 were the best this week and some of the best so far.

New Rebirth titles to be announced at NYCC:
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/0...omic-con-2016-with-exciting-line-up-of-events

I unsurprisingly loved Trinity #1. Manapul killed it on art duties as always (that spread page of Diana [BLACKOUT]carrying the dead boar on her shoulders[/BLACKOUT] :hmr:). The [BLACKOUT]Rainbow Batman[/BLACKOUT] nod is fantastic as well. I wonder what Jon saw to trigger his reaction and the heat vision accident... :sus

I'm pumped to hear what the new titles are! Hopefully Martian Manhunter is in there somewhere!

Yeah, Trinity was an interesting read and not at all what I was expecting, really.

Also really liked the first Batman Beyond Rebirth issue and I'll definitely be sticking with it, especially with the kind of story arc they seem to be alluding to (if it really is what it seems). Can't wait to read more of it.

Gonna give Aquaman and Wonder Woman a go.

I wonder what Jon saw to trigger his reaction and the heat vision accident... :sus

I don't it was what he saw or didn't see that triggered the accident.

I think this was Manapul confirming that heat vision and x-ray vision is the same power at different intensities and Jon doesn't quite have enough precision of his ocular powers to use x-ray/microscopic/telescopic vision yet.

Yeah, my nerd is showing.

So what's up with Ted referencing his time as Beetle in this week's issue? Is he retroactively being added a superhero past in Rebirth. Because that's a pretty major thing for Giffen to just randomly throw out there. And misses some big chances for good moments of Ted "remembering" his past life before the New 52.

Okay, Aquaman just became my favorite book. Holy wow.

I really want to love Blue Beetle but the immature and sarcastic dialogue the whole way through was really annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"