DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Thread Manager, Oct 16, 2017.

1. MMMMM...Pancakes Cena Wins LOL

Well, ****

2. geetard Rebirth

Mani-Man and Babillygunn like this.
  3. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Love Greg Rucka’s work.

Mani-Man likes this.
  4. Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

Remember that Jimmy Olsen story that ran as a backup to some Action Comics a while back? That was some good stuff.

I don't know about a solo ongoing for Jimmy or Lois, but Fraction and Rucka have a good track record with taking **** that shouldn't work...and making it work.

Mani-Man likes this.
  5. geetard Rebirth

Sucks that DC canned that Second Coming book from Mark Russell. Was really looking forward to reading it.

Oh well, at least it'll find a new publisher. Hopefully.

6. Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

So wait, is anybody reading Heroes in Crisis? I just saw an article that said
    Wally died. Again.

What the ****, DC.

Babillygunn likes this.
  7. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Welcome to the party there Scarecrow! Lol. Yeah. It sucks but I’m holding out hope that it’s a ruse.

the story also kills off Roy, Gnaark, Poison Ivy, and a host of b-listers like Commander Steel. But I’d say Wally and Ivy will have to return. They’re too important

8. CrimsonMist Registered

I'm reading, and rather enjoying, Heroes in Crisis.

That said,
    The corpse of Wally West was determined to be 5 days older than it should, which indicates that there's some sort of time travel shenanigans afoot. Also, the latest issue was pretty great.

9. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

I tried Heroes in Crisis but it just doesnt click with me.
    The idea isnt bad but since we cant get rid of the status quo, its less impactfull than the idea wants us to believe.

Maybe its one of the storys i need to read in one go, but issue to issue it just doesnt click with me.

10. CrimsonMist Registered

All things considered, I do feel that way as well. I have a hard time connecting to the murder aspect because we all know these characters will come back. It's what has made some of the tie-ins, like the Flash Annual, Green Arrow, and the Flash/Batman crossover so laughable. You have one formerly dead superhero pissed at a bunch of other formerly dead superheroes because their friends "died".

11. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Speaking of death. Anybody else read Batman Beyond?
    Joker dies of a heart attack fighting Bruce?

12. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Looked into batman 66 because the cover looks pretty good...yeah i shouldnt have done that.
    Can King for once drop his Catwoman ***** for christ sake...its not happening man, just let it go.
    You wont be able to evolve the character into something mindblowing.
    Other than that, the issue didnt really capture my interest.
    By now Kings writing just bores me all around.

Justice league was quite cool, especially the last few pages.
    Snyder knows how to start and tell a story...its just the final act that more often than not lacks the punch.
    But im into Justice League.

Doomsday Clock issue 9 was...eh.
    The pacing is just too slow which makes everything that happens a bit tedious all around.
    Like i said many times, i think Doomsday Clock will be a decent enough story when you read all 12 issues in one go...but its not the groundbreaking story that was teased.

13. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Lol.
    Mani, I have come around to liking Tom King now. He was an acquired taste to be sure, but I like him now. I think Mr Miracle helped me appreciate him.

As to the issue:
    what you read probably isn’t real. It’s probably part of an ongoing series of dreams that Batman is having. Apparently he is locked in some dream world which hasn’t been fully explained yet.
    the only thing that bothered me (and this is kind of silly) but I didn’t like them having Selina smoke. I just think that with Bruce being the pinnacle of athletic ability, I don’t see him wanting to marry a smoker. It’s strange enough that Gordon smokes.

I know. I’m petty.

14. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

I think i feel what some superman fans feel towards bendis. XD
    Kings writing is fine for the most part, its just...boring.
    King isnt explosive or anything, his writing stays consistent and brings no real surprises or anything.
    It just gets boring after a while...at least to me.
    I need this twists and turns, unexpected directions...i need writing that throws me off.
    But King is decent and stays decent, he is like a straight line.
    Which is fine if you like his stuff, but i can only take so much before im bored as hell.

Where he however really annoys me is this obvious raging ***** he has for Selina.
    Which i could understand even if he at least would try to evolve or reshape or anything with the character...but king doesnt.
    No he lets the whole DC universe dance around her and tell us what he wants selina to be instead of doing the work and showing the character expand and grow.
    I still cant believe he did this nonsense with Talia praising Selina...that was so facepalm worthy.
    And that isnt even tackling the batcat issues.

I can stomach his rather bland writing, its when he blows sugar in Selina Kyles ass that i get annoyed.
    Because he does so at the expense of any other character that crosses her path.

15. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Lol. As someone who is angry at Bendis for undoing the amazing groundwork that Tomasi and Gleason laid, I can feel your pain.

I felt much the same way about King, until I started looking at his work as a 100-issue story. Each issue is a small piece of a big puzzle. In isolation, they might not work, but as a whole it does. Even the short arcs are in a similar vein. It all works as a 100-issue story.

I will admit that Selina plays heavy in that story. I’m a Selina fan so that works for me.

Mani-Man likes this.
  16. CrimsonMist Registered

I always feel like the odd one out here. I'm loving what Bendis is doing in the Superman books. The Tomasi run was fun, and was very successful in getting the Superman train back on track, but the book lacked a kind of staying power or, rather, a scope that Bendis' run has.

That said, I dropped Tomasi's run on Detective three issues in, and after the hackneyed copout that was #999, I was glad I dropped it sooner. Now, while King is doing something similar with the "Knightmares" arc, at least the story has made us aware of the situation Batman's found himself in, and like Batman, we have no idea how he ended up there in the first place. I think the real magic of the last few issues of King's run has been seeing how Bruce is trying to work everything out and to escape the trap. The flag metaphor really summed it up for me. As Bruce figures out the trap, so do we.

I also loved the parallels with the letters that Bruce and Selina wrote to one another during I Am Suicide and the ones they wrote in the Wedding issue and how the whole "Batman can't be happy and be Batman" is actually a load of bunk, because he CAN be both. It's the fact that that happiness was taken away from him that he's spiraling.

17. signalman Registered

Detective Comics is getting a new logo starting with #1001.

detectiveNewLogo.jpg

18. Mani-Man I just found out about this (he/him)

Dont know how i feel about the color but i like the design.

So i dont know if i asked this before, but with the Last Knight story drawing closer...is this really Snyder and Capullos last batman story?
    I love the team and it would suck if that would be really the last story.

19. lespaul59 Registered

I like the logo but the colors make it look like a logo for a cartoon. It could just be the colors because I would really like to see that logo on black and red. I can think of a few color combos that might look cool but black and red is the one that stands out in my head.

20. Motown Marvel Crimson and Clover

Everything about that logo design is bad. I'll never understand how a multi-million dollar creative empire can make such poor design choices.

21. lespaul59 Registered

I don't think the logo is bad but I think it looks more like a logo that would be used for a continuation of the Batman the Brave and the Bold cartoon rather than the actual comic.

22. _Superman_ Man Of Steel

So are they now going to forget Conner and Cassie were together in Young Justice?

23. DoomRulz A guy that comes and goes

I just finished reading DC #1000 a few minutes ago; yeah, I'm late, I know.

I won't say it was bad because it definitely wasn't but I felt a tad underwhelmed. Action Comics 1000 hit me harder in the feels. Though this one had some good stories to boot. The first, I guess "meeting", of Dick and Bruce was touching and Tom King's family short left me with a huge grin on my face.

24. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I loved those two as well as the Kevin Smith/Jim Lee piece and the Dini/Nguyen one.

I actually enjoyed Det Comics 1000 a lot. But I admit that it was more “enjoyable read” than heartstring tugger like AC 1000 was.

25. geetard Rebirth

Awww yeah, Manhunter!

[​IMG]