DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't explicitly comment towards the series because I haven't read it, but it's kind of hard to believe you're being objective when everyone else seems to love it so much while you, known to be upset about "liberal comics" are criticizing it.

I'd recommend giving it a shot starting around... when did this Trump-like character show up... issue 23 or so? Whether this book is pulling from Trump or not has nothing to do with being objective. It's just obvious. I'm dumbfounded that these other couple of guys seem to think it ISN'T influenced by Trump. It's like saying Lion King wasn't influenced by Hamlet.

As I said before, the big push of the story is that a brute takes Atlantis from the more "liberal-minded" leader (for lack of better words) by using people's fears, wants to build a dome (wall) around Atlantis to alienate it from the outside world, and wants to exile members of the population that he finds undesirable (immigrants). That is 100% the story thus far and coincides with the biggest criticisms that many from the left have on Donald Trump. There genuinely hasn't been much more to the plot than that.

As for people loving it... there's nothing wrong with that. I'm personally not enjoying it for 2 reasons. 1) it's been very predictable or unsurprising if you're even moderately familiar with the modern political landscape, and 2) it's a little insulting that the author is writing it one-sided regarding that political landscape and with zero depth (as all things have).

*edit - "Insulting" might not be the right word. Disappointing might be more appropriate.

If not for those two points, I'd probably enjoy it more. I also tend to prefer political-driven comics to be a bit less on the nose. Take Bloodshot Reborn over at Valiant for example. The series was written to speak on the matter of gun control. Whether you're for or against gun control, it was done artfully so that it could be enjoyed by all. Aquaman, sadly, is failing in that regard.

Last edited:
The moment we're living in is so bizarre it's difficult to conceive of it having no impact on a writer's work. Comics have always provided an element of social commentary, and the fact that the guy with the nuclear codes is an infantile narcissist, self-aggrandizing compulsive liar who holds no values or loyalty except to himself and those who provide him with the adulation he subsists on demands comment.

Well... that's your opinion. I tend to find your view on Trump to be completely inaccurate, but that's for another thread. The thing is, I've never said Aquaman SHOULDN'T pull from this (though I admit I wish it wouldn't). I just said that it was. But apparently it's crazy to think a comic would pull influence from modern politics. I hear Green Arrow is doing the same... but maybe the internet that told me that is crazy as well.

Last edited:
Well... that's your opinion.
I would say it's my observation. I don't know what your politics are and I'm not here to fight you about them. I will say though, that even if you agree with his policies, or if they seem to benefit you today, any examination of his character reveals what type of person he really is. He's the type of person who will throw anyone under the bus for his own benefit, and even though it may not be you going under the wheels today, it may be you tomorrow.

The thing is, I've never said Aquaman SHOULDN'T pull from this
I know. I was just throwing in my two cents about why this is a popular subject.

Funny how your idea of "truths" is pretty much "because I don't want it to be". I've actually shown examples that support my opinion of how the story is inspired by the Trump presidency. Your defense is to pretend those things are nothing (despite being obvious) and provide nothing of substance to back up your side. But hey... you strike me as a person who doesn't like hearing truths so just keep on putting your fingers in your ears.

Funny how ironic things are right?
Talking about something and making it out to be fact "because i want it to be" XD.

No, you really havent shown any examples...you simply stated things as facts without anything to back it up.
Has the writer stated that his story takes real life comparison...until not its all just you living in a dream world and making assumptions.

Hm, i dont know...you obviously know a lot about putting your fingers in your ear.
I still havent seen any truth to your statement that the arc is 100% undeniable a reflection of the current politics.

Examples were asked for so I did a 5 second google search and shared the three I found on the first page. I was doing you a favor, but please... feel free to find a bunch of articles showing your side of the argument if you want. I doubt you'll find them so easily. I mean, I know you won't because that might require you to crawl out of that little echo chamber of naivety that you're so adamant to stay in. Or don't actually look into things. I don't really care. I don't feel the need to have my opinions verified as I'm apparently not as sensitive as you seem to be, "snowflake".

Yeah you found 3 small frie sites...congratulations.
Took me 5 seconds too to find actual legitim big comic sites, articles, reviewers and so on that not see any political agenda in the current arc.

Guess why...because its the internet, sherlock.
Come out of your little bubble and start thinking for yourself my friend.
Yes you are sensitive enough to be a snowflake, little man.

You are literally projecting something in a comic that isnt there and you felt the need to point this out because it "dissapointed" and hurt your little feelings so much. XD

Now if you'll be kind enough to stop making the DC thread into some sort of insulty anti-Trump political whatever... let's get back to talking about comics.

So be it, if you cant handle it when things dont go your way...i was not the one who cried over something that isnt there in this thread. XD

Moving away from Trump...

Did anybody else get as big of a kick out of the first few pages of the latest Red Hood & the Outlaws as I did? Freaking brilliant!!!

Superman's world from the viewpoint of Bizarro, if Bizarro were Superman was awesome!

Last edited:
I would say it's my observation. I don't know what your politics are and I'm not here to fight you about them. I will say though, that even if you agree with his policies, or if they seem to benefit you today, any examination of his character reveals what type of person he really is. He's the type of person who will throw anyone under the bus for his own benefit, and even though it may not be you going under the wheels today, it may be you tomorrow.

Oh, I've never believed Trump to be a saint (pardon the pun?), but i do tend to lean his way on what politics I follow. I think a lot of the negative spin he receives are just that... spin. Though he's definitely said some *****y things in the recent past.

But hey... enough about Trump. This thread can only take so much of that greatness :D

Mani-Man said:
Blah Blah Blah...

This guy's still talking I see.

Yeah, i didnt expect more from you...poor snowflake. XD
Of course you have nothing smart to add...would have surprised me.:loco:

Disrespectful people aren't worth having meaningful conversations with. Keep insulting me if it makes you feel better though. :up:

Moving away from Trump...

Did anybody else get as big of a kick out of the first few pages of the latest Red Hood & the Outlaws as I did? Freaking brilliant!!!

Superman's world from the viewpoint of Bizarro, if Bizarro were Superman was awesome!

Red Hood and the Outlaws was my favorite book that week. :awesome:

Metal Spoiler Alert
tumblr_ouoq47I0r61t6mzpoo1_1280.jpg
:eek:

Seems a bit over the top, but it certainly beats the way the conversation on this page has been going. :o

Disrespectful people aren't worth having meaningful conversations with. Keep insulting me if it makes you feel better though. :up:

Yeah you are right, it isnt worth talking to disrespectful people...yet i still talk with you.

You insulted me in your third reply to me, instead of answering me or ignoring me...you quoted my post and tried to defame it...yet im the disrespectful person?:loco:

Like i said before, best you stay in your little bubble since its obvious you are not willing nor able to handle it when people call you out.
So its for the best if you go back there and not stay sulky...maybe learn some manners and respect so that you can handle it when you are wrong.

This is a place to talk about comics, if you want to insult people and push your politcal agenda then please do it somewhere else.

Onto comics then...

Really surprised about THAT from DCs Metal, didnt expect that...but i dont know in general what to expect from this event.
Took me a while to realize who that is, but a interesting idea i have to say.
We will see, im curious about the story and if it can live up to the hype...Snyder is sadly known for losing momentum towards the end of his storys, so im a bit worried about that.
But so far im quite excited for this Event.

I picked up the three variants for Dark Nights: Metal last night at my local comic book shop. Managed to snag the Capullo "\m/", the midnight only and the Kubert covers. Overall, it seems like it's going to be a fun and just overall ridiculous event. The part where the Justice League [blackout]forms a freakin' Voltron-esqe robot to fight Mongul[/blackout] put a big grin on my face. Considering the final page, I can't help but wonder if any of the other [blackout]Endless[/blackout] will pop up in this event?

Overall, I'm wondering if the intersection of the main DC Universe with both Watchmen and [blackout] The Endless [/blackout] are related.

They've both been owned by DC for sometime, and the Endless have only barely touched the rest of the DC universe before. The consolidation of all the universes echoes what they did with some of the other characters owned by sub-publishers back in the New 52.

Sooo...Metal was a god awful chore to get through. I'm done with it.

Remember the JL Dark (Mystik U) book that was supposed to come out during DCYou? Well, it's here!

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/08/17/exclusive-zatanna-faust-and-more-enroll-in-mystik-u

MYSTIK U #1
Written by ALISA KWITNEY
Art by MIKE NORTON
Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO
Leave the world of the mundane behind and step through the magical doors of Mystik U! After a tragic accident, a young Zatanna Zatara, under the guidance of Rose Psychic, enrolls in a mysterious university that teaches its students how to master their unique brands of magic. Will Zatanna fit in with her new classmates (Enchantress, Sargon the Sorcerer, Faust and more!) and unlock her true potential? Find out in this exciting bimonthly miniseries from novelist Alisa Kwitney (DESTINY) and Mike Norton (Revival, Runaways)!
On sale NOVEMBER 29 • 48 pg, FC, 1 of 3, $5.99 US • RATED T+
x21tVPM.jpg

Regarding King's Batman run and specifically The War of Jokes and Riddles, I'm actually really digging it. I think it's a well-crafted and well-told story, but I can see why some folks wouldn't be feeling it.

I think The War of Jokes and Riddles would have been better served as a stand-alone miniseries/graphic novel, and I think it will make for a great trade collection when all is said and done. It would likely be prety satisfying if it were possible to read it all the way through, but the single issues are slow moving and often anticlimactic when divided up. It's kind of weird to tell this story in the middle of everything else that's going on with Rebirth. It's like the Batman title has halted while most of the other Rebirth titles are moving forward.

Last edited:
Just read Dark Night Metal #1 and thought it was decent. I was surprised that character showed up at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"