DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enjoyed Teen Titans and Batman Beyond today. Injustice 2 was awesome as well!

There were so many images in the first Injustice that I can't get out of my head. I couldn't stand seeing heroes act like total tools. Wish it would've been a little more gray. Therefore I'm not giving Injustice 2 a chance.

Also. Question about Batman Beyond. I never read it before Rebirth, but is Dick still around in Beyond's timeframe?

I ask because of the latest issue.

Bruce comments about "feeling like he has two sons" referencing Terry and Damian. That's garbage as it ignores Dick who was adopted by Bruce.

Sadly, the only one Bruce has around right now is Terry. Tim was briefly in the story but it's implied that Bruce grew estranged from everyone.

https://twitter.com/GregCapullo/status/901857457433169920
Greg Capullo?
@GregCapullo

I'm getting to draw this guy. It makes me very happy.
DIQKk8kWsAI1qgY.jpg
tumblr_o5898p4VLG1ujanleo1_500.gif

Hopefully, Ambush Bug shows up too. :o

Yes! I love Detective Chimp. I loved seeing him in the Christmas special and I'm glad to see him being used again.

What issue of Batman does The Joker make his first appearance? I've fallen way behind but I've been waiting for the character's return.

What issue of Batman does The Joker make his first appearance? I've fallen way behind but I've been waiting for the character's return.
The current arc (War of Jokes and Riddles). Though, it takes place in the past. His first Rebirth appearance is actually in Harley Quinn.

I didn't think that was really The Joker in Harley Quinn awhile back?

The current arc (War of Jokes and Riddles). Though, it takes place in the past. His first Rebirth appearance is actually in Harley Quinn.

Really? Seems kind of odd to make him show up after Endgame in a rather "small" Harley Quinn series and not a big Batman arc.

Was this the "real" joker or one of the other two? Is the three joker thing still going?

It looks to be pretty complicated, i assumed his first real rebirth appearance was in Metal.

I didn't think that was really The Joker in Harley Quinn awhile back?
Really? Seems kind of odd to make him show up after Endgame in a rather "small" Harley Quinn series and not a big Batman arc.

Was this the "real" joker or one of the other two? Is the three joker thing still going?

It looks to be pretty complicated, i assumed his first real rebirth appearance was in Metal.
The one that appeared in Harley Quinn is either the Bolland Killing Joke Joker or the original Robinson Joker. The issue was from months ago (January?) Since I don't read HQ I don't know what happened in that storyline. He could have been a fake...

It is Snyder/Capullo's New 52 Joker that appeared recently in Dark Days: The Casting.

The one that appeared in Harley Quinn is either the Bolland Killing Joke Joker or the original Robinson Joker. The issue was from months ago (January?) Since I don't read HQ I don't know what happened in that storyline. He could have been a fake...

It is Snyder/Capullo's New 52 Joker that appeared recently in Dark Days: The Casting.

He was a fake. I had read those HQ issues (I'll pick up any comic with The Joker on the cover), but forgot the specific details.

Harley Quinn has discovered that the Joker that has been visiting her over the last few issues was a fake. After a car mishap, Harley helped get this Joker bandaged up and noticed that his nether region didn’t have the same scars as the original Joker…that Harley knows intimately. After some torture and threats of torture he admits he’s a fraud; a fraud named Edwin who first appeared in the New 52’s Harley Quinn #9 in 2013.

He was jailed and due to good behavior and attending his meetings with his psychiatrist earned prison privileges. He had a job in the joint, mail room it appears, and ran across mail that would somehow allow him to contact directly who he believed was the Joker. So, he wrote to the Joker who seemingly wrote back and gave him advice on how to escape, where to stay low, and what his own measurements and details to facilitate cosmetic surgery for Edwin to become the Joker. He was also taught the mannerisms and vocal pitch of the Joker and was even guided to the same chemical vat that gave the real Joker his pale skin and green body hair.

As part of his ruse, Edwin-Joker killed a building full of people too. He doesn’t know why his Joker pen pal put him up to all this and even bank rolled it, but Harley Quinn believes it was to mess with her. Seemingly in response to the death of the building’s residents, and perhaps this whole charade, Harley Quinn ends this Joker permanently leaving her crew to dispose of the body.

This Joker in Harley Quinn was the fraud that Batman writer noted was lurking in DC Rebirth. This is not one of three Jokers that the Mobius Chair revealed to Batman.

Right now my top 5 are

5 Detective Comics

4 Superman

3 Action Comics

2 Super Sons

1 Red Hood & the Outlaws

I cannot do King's Batman anymore, and Teen Titans has become unbearable. I may come back to Wonder Woman once this Heart of the Amazon arc is over and yet another new writer jumps onboard. It kills me how Wonder Woman was far and away my absolute number 1 book when Greg Rucka was on it, and since he left, the book has felt generic and non-special, just typical superhero fare. Detective Comics is barely holding on, hopefully Tim's return can right this ship, because soon I wont have any Batman books to get excited about, unless you count Red Hood as a Batman title.

Over a year later and still I'm floored by the fact that f#&$ing Lobdell's Red Hood book is so much fun, and is my favorite Rebirth title.

M2WX9vg.gif

He was a fake. I had read those HQ issues (I'll pick up any comic with The Joker on the cover), but forgot the specific details.

Harley Quinn has discovered that the Joker that has been visiting her over the last few issues was a fake. After a car mishap, Harley helped get this Joker bandaged up and noticed that his nether region didn’t have the same scars as the original Joker…that Harley knows intimately. After some torture and threats of torture he admits he’s a fraud; a fraud named Edwin who first appeared in the New 52’s Harley Quinn #9 in 2013.

He was jailed and due to good behavior and attending his meetings with his psychiatrist earned prison privileges. He had a job in the joint, mail room it appears, and ran across mail that would somehow allow him to contact directly who he believed was the Joker. So, he wrote to the Joker who seemingly wrote back and gave him advice on how to escape, where to stay low, and what his own measurements and details to facilitate cosmetic surgery for Edwin to become the Joker. He was also taught the mannerisms and vocal pitch of the Joker and was even guided to the same chemical vat that gave the real Joker his pale skin and green body hair.

As part of his ruse, Edwin-Joker killed a building full of people too. He doesn’t know why his Joker pen pal put him up to all this and even bank rolled it, but Harley Quinn believes it was to mess with her. Seemingly in response to the death of the building’s residents, and perhaps this whole charade, Harley Quinn ends this Joker permanently leaving her crew to dispose of the body.

This Joker in Harley Quinn was the fraud that Batman writer noted was lurking in DC Rebirth. This is not one of three Jokers that the Mobius Chair revealed to Batman.
:up:

Right now my top 5 are

5 Detective Comics

4 Superman

3 Action Comics

2 Super Sons

1 Red Hood & the Outlaws

I cannot do King's Batman anymore, and Teen Titans has become unbearable. I may come back to Wonder Woman once this Heart of the Amazon arc is over and yet another new writer jumps onboard. It kills me how Wonder Woman was far and away my absolute number 1 book when Greg Rucka was on it, and since he left, the book has felt generic and non-special, just typical superhero fare. Detective Comics is barely holding on, hopefully Tim's return can right this ship, because soon I wont have any Batman books to get excited about, unless you count Red Hood as a Batman title.

Over a year later and still I'm floored by the fact that f#&$ing Lobdell's Red Hood book is so much fun, and is my favorite Rebirth title.

Yes. Yes. Yes. RH&TO is excellent. I can't believe how much I enjoy that title. I also am waiting patiently for King's run on Batman to end. Heck, I enjoy batgirl more than Batman right now. I agree with your list, my only change would be to swap Aquaman for Action Comics. Action gets my honorable mention.

I had assumed they'd just be combining Rorschach's ink blot with the Trinity's insignias for marketing purposes, but to actually have the character on a cover has me wondering if his presence might be felt in a bigger way.

Right now my top 5 are

5 Detective Comics

4 Superman

3 Action Comics

2 Super Sons

1 Red Hood & the Outlaws

Yeah thats a nice list, i would however swap Red Hood & the outlaws for Aquaman...but only because didnt had time yet for Red Hood & the Outlaws.
Aquaman belongs definitly into a top 5 imo.

Last couple of issues of Detective comics were a bit weak but i still like the focus and all.

Yes. Yes. Yes. RH&TO is excellent. I can't believe how much I enjoy that title. I also am waiting patiently for King's run on Batman to end. Heck, I enjoy batgirl more than Batman right now. I agree with your list, my only change would be to swap Aquaman for Action Comics. Action gets my honorable mention.

Yeah, looked into Batgirl and it really feels more enjoyable than kings batman...which is not saying much sadly.
Now i really need to find the time and read Red Hood & the Outlaws, the praise i see quite often has made curious.

This "First Ally" arc in All Star Batman has become pretty interesting and compelling. The latest issue was solid.

Why do people rag on Snyder's Batman run? I'm rather enjoying TWoJaR, especially last week's issue with Joker and Riddler having dinner at Wayne Manor. I couldn't put it down.

Why do people rag on Snyder's Batman run? I'm rather enjoying TWoJaR, especially last week's issue with Joker and Riddler having dinner at Wayne Manor. I couldn't put it down.

You mean King's run. King is writing Batman and War of Jokes & Riddles.
Snyder did Batman during New 52 and is now on All-Star Batman.

I don't like King on Batman because his stories are a lot of promise, but none of those promises show through. His arcs have all ended flat after a strong start, especially the I am Suicide arc. I was excited to see Batman's very personal Suicide Squad in action, especially the characters he recruited, and ultimately, its hard to justify why Batman even needed any of them to pull off his "plan", except for Wesker, who actually provided something Batman couldn't have done.

His writing is...ughh..

Its very...repetitive and static.

Catwoman: They can have my life without parole, but I want tonight
Batman: You'll run.
Catwoman: I won't.
Batman: You will. Because you're Cat.
Catwoman: You'll chase.
Batman: I'll chase.
Catwoman: Because you're Bat.

Catwoman: Is this every night?
Batman: No. Most nights.
Catwoman: And other nights?
Batman: I prepare.
Catwoman: You prepare for what?
Batman: Most nights.
Catwoman: Do you ever get tired?
Batman: Sometimes.
Catwoman: So then what do you do?

Batman: I don't like this.
Catwoman: We did what you like, we'll do what I like.
Batman: I don't like what I do.
Catwoman: Do you like me?
Batman: You mean like like?
Catwoman: I like like you.
Batman: Like like? Not just like?
Catwoman: Say it for me...please
Batman: ... ...okay; "I need to save someone who needs to be saved. I'll break your damn back."

Batman: Cat.
Catwoman: Lets have sex.
Batman: I need to save someone who...

I gave up with War of Jokes & Riddles. It just isn't good, and I'm not sorry. We aren't actually seeing any of the action, the stuff you'd want to see is relegated to a splash page. Its like watching an action movie where a pedestrian is narrating to you what the superheroes and monsters are doing, instead of the damn movie just letting you see that footage. The Deathstroke vs Deadshot issue in this "war" was the last straw for me.

Snyder on All-Star isn't much better (IMO, he's worse). Its like now that he's not on the core Batman book, he's been let off the chains to completely deconstruct these characters and the Bat-lore however he feels. From the stuff he's been retconning with Alfred to his obsessions with trying to make Batman "metal" and "try-hard edgy", its gotten to be a problem for me. Stop trying to "rediscover" Batman, and just work with what's been established and move forward. Stop trying to rewrite every single rule, and stop trying to turn Alternative Rock into Death Metal.

Last edited:
Wolf, you need to get out of my head because everything you wrote about both King and Snyder are my thoughts 100%.

For me, the repetitive writing by King drives me crazy. It can be good when used sparingly. But King employs the gimmick in every. Friggin. Book. I wouldn't be surprised if one issue they have Bruce dropping a deuce, saying:

I got up. This morning I got up. I got up and walked to the bathroom. I walked to the bathroom and sat. On the toilet. The porcelain toilet. This morning. I took a dump in the toilet this morning. Looked like a banana. Alfred makes bananas foster. This wasn't bananas foster. It was a dump. A dump I took in the toilet. This morning. I wiped.

You mean King's run. King is writing Batman and War of Jokes & Riddles.
Snyder did Batman during New 52 and is now on All-Star Batman.

I don't like King on Batman because his stories are a lot of promise, but none of those promises show through. His arcs have all ended flat after a strong start, especially the I am Suicide arc. I was excited to see Batman's very personal Suicide Squad in action, especially the characters he recruited, and ultimately, its hard to justify why Batman even needed any of them to pull off his "plan", except for Wesker, who actually provided something Batman couldn't have done.

His writing is...ughh..

Its very...repetitive and static.

Batman: You'll run.
Catwoman: I won't.
Batman: You will. Because you're Cat.
Catwoman: You'll chase.
Batman: I'll chase.
Catwoman: Because you're Bat.

Catwoman: Is this every night?
Batman: No. Most nights.
Catwoman: And other nights?
Catwoman: You prepare for what?
Batman: Most nights.
Catwoman: Do you ever get tired?
Batman: Sometimes.
Catwoman: So then what do you do?

Batman: I don't like this.
Catwoman: We did what you like, we'll do what I like.
Batman: I don't like what I do.
Catwoman: Do you like me?
Batman: You mean like like?
Catwoman: I like like you.
Batman: Like like? Not just like?
Catwoman: Say it for me...please
Batman: ... ...okay; "I need to save someone who needs to be saved. I'll break your damn back."

Batman: Cat.
Catwoman: Lets have sex.
Batman: I need to save someone who...

I gave up with War of Jokes & Riddles. It just isn't good, and I'm not sorry. We aren't actually seeing any of the action, the stuff you'd want to see is relegated to a splash page. Its like watching an action movie where a pedestrian is narrating to you what the superheroes and monsters are doing, instead of the damn movie just letting you see that footage. The Deathstroke vs Deadshot issue in this "war" was the last straw for me.

Snyder on All-Star isn't much better (IMO, he's worse). Its like now that he's not on the core Batman book, he's been let off the chains to completely deconstruct these characters and the Bat-lore however he feels. From the stuff he's been retconning with Alfred to his obsessions with trying to make Batman "metal" and "try-hard edgy", its gotten to be a problem for me. Stop trying to "rediscover" Batman, and just work with what's been established and move forward. Stop trying to rewrite every single rule, and stop trying to turn Alternative Rock into Death Metal.

So in your opinion, would it be safe to call him the Daniel Way of DC Comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"