DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The year/date in the first panel certainly has my curiosity. Johns said it was significant to DC. The closest thing I can guess would be the Death of Superman arc.

I'm torn on
Selina's agreeing to marry Bruce. On one hand,
I'm happy for him because Bruce has been lonely his entire life and never known a "normal life" and things really hit home after he and Barry encountered Thomas in The Button arc. But at the same time, as a long time fan, I know Bruce isn't supposed to have attachments because of a superhero's golden rule: no attachments because loved ones can be hurt.

I haven't read Red Death or Murder Machine yet (missed out, need to buy elsewhere), but I loved Dawnbreaker. No pun intended, but that was dark as hell. It took me by surprise especially at the end. And this week's Green Lanterns was a fun read. I love those little stories that don't focus on anything major and are just little one-offs showing the characters being human.

I'm torn on
Selina's agreeing to marry Bruce. On one hand,
I'm happy for him because Bruce has been lonely his entire life and never known a "normal life" and things really hit home after he and Barry encountered Thomas in The Button arc. But at the same time, as a long time fan, I know Bruce isn't supposed to have attachments because of a superhero's golden rule: no attachments because loved ones can be hurt.

I haven't read Red Death or Murder Machine yet (missed out, need to buy elsewhere), but I loved Dawnbreaker. No pun intended, but that was dark as hell. It took me by surprise especially at the end. And this week's Green Lanterns was a fun read. I love those little stories that don't focus on anything major and are just little one-offs showing the characters being human.

I've got a different, no doubt tinged-by-Post-Crisis-fanboyism response to
Bruce and Selina getting engaged. I despise the idea that all superheroes must seek some kind of stagnant status quo in regards to their personal lives, especially since the era of comics that got me hooked featured several DC characters with some kind of matrimonial attachements, and neither those books or Spider-Man at Marvel ever seems to really back up the publisher's fanatical belief that these successful, sometimes-decade-long-marriages were harming the characters or their marketability. I mean, if you wanted to find the root cause behind the Superman books' slow dive after Our Worlds at War, to me the biggest culprit is simply bad writing and far too much willingness to rewrite history without putting up a Geoff Johns-caliber explanation for it.

And I especially don't find the "loved ones will get hurt" argument to be very strong. Supporting cast members are already being targeted by villain without a ring on their finger. And again, we saw successful if dramatic marriages previously. Now, if the argue,to is that the high stress of a superhero life might doom a relationship, I could get behind that, but that's why I like the Batman test.

At least with Batman, there's enough strength in the brand and the stable of writers in that franchise to give you maximum flexibility. If you want to "have your cake and eat it too," just get the characters married, make the relationship have enough rocky elements qualify as high drama, then break them up on the page. Batman is enough of a jerk for someone to write him as an inadequate husband thanks to his workaholic nature, and Catwoman's while appeal is in being a sometimes morally ambiguous free spirit.

So it appears Conner Kent just came back today in Detective Comics.

Thanks for ****ing spoiling that for everyone.

in regards to Conner Kent

he didn't actually return just yet, as far as I could tell.

he WAS name dropped, and possibly shown in an alternate future timeline.

But the seeds for his return WERE planted with the name drop and it looks like he will play an important part in Tim's story.

I'm glad they are setting the stages for his return. I want to see pre-52 Conner and Cassie Wonder Girl come back.

Tom King doing Swamp Thing with Jason Fabok:
https://twitter.com/tomkingtk/status/918231935880716289

Speaking of Swampy, I'm almost done with the penultimate volume of Moore's run. Zod damn, it's an amazing series.

I think this is part of a Swamp Thing Winter Special that's coming out at some point. It's also supposed to include a Len Wein/Kelley Jones story.

But I'd kill for Tom King on a monthly Swamp Thing book!

Just read Metal #3. Whose that supposed to be under Dr. Fate's helmet? Is it Kent Nelson, Hector Hall (which would make sense) or is it someone else?

Tom King doing Swamp Thing with Jason Fabok:
https://twitter.com/tomkingtk/status/918231935880716289

Speaking of Swampy, I'm almost done with the penultimate volume of Moore's run. Zod damn, it's an amazing series.

That is something he should do fulltime.
Swamp Thing fits Kings style far better than Batman.

DC Metal 3 was not bad.
I might just have the wrong focus but i feel like there is almost too much going on in the same moment.
I find myself wondering quite often about the how, why and what.
But that could be because of me focusing not on the whole thing but specifics.
Thats why i need to go back again and again...which is enjoyable.
But i already fear the worst when i think about the final of the arc, its Scott Snyder afterall.
So that is in the back of my head, the possibility of him messing up the final part of the Metal event.

Gary Frank showing off a few more Doomsday Clock panels:

Lois and Clark with Rorschach?
DL7gUkmX4AEpevi.jpg

Last edited:
Detective Comics was outrageously good. Wow. Just. Wow.

Agreed. Overall, just another strong week for DC comics with Tec, Action Comics, Metal, Batman: White Knight, and more.

How many issues of Detective Comics are we up to? I've fallen so ****ing far behind.

My wallet is about to take a hit then. :funny:

Gary Frank showing off a few more Doomsday Clock panels:

Lois and Clark with Rorschach?
DL7gUkmX4AEpevi.jpg

I was actually thinking [blackout]Dan and Laurie[/blackout]. Manhattan's in the mix. Ozy's in the mix. [blackout]Rorschach[/blackout], or at least some version of the character, is in the mix. It'd be odd if only those two were benched. They're both alive when the story ends, and one of the teaser panels released was of a blonde woman's face, and they both dyed their hair before assuming their new identities.

Also, Doomsday Clock related, some Gary Frank art...

DMC7-nzW0AIWXLD.jpg:large

DMC-BiVWAAIfhP8.jpg:large

Batman White Knight is the most interesting and engaging story I've read in DC Comics since...OK this is recent sure, but The Button. I'm really looking forward to #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"