DC Universe - Superman: Man of Tomorrow

This movie was 140 minutes worth of story crammed into an 80 minute running time.

I tried watching this last night before bed, turned it off after

They egregiously killed off Martian Manhunter. Went to bed partially out of being dead tired thanks to Fandome, and partially out of annoyance at how dirty they did my boy J'onn.

Woke up today and finished it, only to discover he wasn't really dead (he REALLY looked dead, guys - I mean...fire!!), so I went to bed disappointed over nothing. :funny:

Overall, definitely enjoyed it. Didn't love the voices of the leads, but they weren't bad, and I'd absolutely watch more films in this universe. :up:

Unfortunately I can't say I'm excited about any of the newly announced DCAU movies, though. :(

It was fun, I liked the actors and animation. A 7.

Overall, definitely enjoyed it. Didn't love the voices of the leads, but they weren't bad, and I'd absolutely watch more films in this universe. :up:

Unfortunately I can't say I'm excited about any of the newly announced DCAU movies, though. :(

Who weren't you on board with? I personally thought Darren Criss was great as a younger Clark Kent/Superman. It's a Superman we haven't really seen all that much. He's absolutely in his 20s in this film as confirmed by Martha Kent.

Maybe Daddario as Lane could use some tweaking but, again, for a younger Lois Lane I thought she was good in the role. There's a lot of different ways the writers could go for storylines in future installments.

Quinto as Luthor I was pleased with; especially after Rainn Wilson's performance in the last few films. To be honest, I was just happy to see Luthor used in a different sort of way in this film.
He's written out of the film early one (albeit in a clunky/ham-fisted way...maybe some one can explain to me exactly what was happening with Lois as a grad student, and then her taking down Luthor. Something with a general and champagne?
. In the trailers, you expect it to go one way with his story, but it does shift right off the bat.

Just finished it...

I liked it...

The voice actors were spot on, I thought everyone they cast sounded great. I was impressed with Darren Criss, he takes Clark from Superboy to Superman by the movies end with subtle voice changes throughout. The great moment for him was in his speech to the people and those are the moments I always like to see from the Man of Steel.

Lobo completely steals the film, he’s definitely the most interesting character here for sure. The fight between Lobo & proto Superman was excellent and the standout moment from the film imo.

I loved the relationship between Clark and Jonn, that was well done.

Rudy Jones been a good guy who was changed forever in a moment made for a refreshing take on that character.

I loved the designs for the most part, everyone looked good (although I still don’t like that belt on Superman) and this was a nice change to previous DC Animated films. Although I wasn’t keen on Parasites final look, he reminded me of a giant purple Parademon from the New 52 animated movies.

The first half of the movie right up to the final act I really enjoyed but then came my issues. Two of which were two big issues:

First one was how it ended, it really lacked a punch imo. Especially the way the Parasite bit the dust, afterwards I was thinking you may aswell have let him do that. I really was waiting for Superman to get that lightbulb moment to finish Parasite but no he just absorbs a load of nuclear energy and turns to dust. What?

The second big issue, where the F was the score? There were moments with some nice pieces that homaged Superman the Movie & Man of Steel but overall there were moments where there wasn’t any score at all and then moments where there was but it’s like it didn’t hit the right notes.

Another issue I had was how little Lois & Lex were used (his heel turn was executed very poorly imo too, it just didn’t feel right). These weren’t major issues mind but I think they could just used both better.

All in all it was decent but I think it could have even better B+

Yeah, I made that discovery a little bit later. Just saw the film after having purchased it, via digital download.

Honestly, I wasn't really impressed by it. Frankly, I found it to be pretty disappointing. I think it would have been better to adapt the "Birthright" or "Secret Origins" series instead of going for "American Alien". Plus, the animation style really never caught for me as well.

I seriously hope that this isn't a taste of what's to come for the new DC Animated Universe.

This is becoming a habit, I agree although I think I liked it a little more than you. It didn’t wow me at all and I think an adaptation of Secret Origin or Birthright or as you say even just adapting American Alien would have been better.

Honestly, I hope they rethink continuing with this world. While I liked the voice work and I did like the designs but they’re also quite bland. Good for a one off but I wouldn’t want every movie to look like this. I’d be OK if the voice actors came back mind cause I thought they all did a great job.

I really enjoyed this as well, especially the action sequences which were incredibly well done IMO. I had no problems with the voice acting or the character designs either. Lobo really stole the show and Parasite ended up being a pretty damn scary and menacing villain.

I definitely would have liked to see Lexx and Lois utilized a bit more and Parasite's fate could have been handled better, but overall I thought it was a solid start to this new universe and man was it great seeing Martian Manhunter and Superman actually form a bond and become good friends.

It deeply saddens me that we can't get this level of storytelling in live action.

Just finished it...

I liked it...

The voice actors were spot on, I thought everyone they cast sounded great. I was impressed with Darren Criss, he takes Clark from Superboy to Superman by the movies end with subtle voice changes throughout. The great moment for him was in his speech to the people and those are the moments I always like to see from the Man of Steel.

Lobo completely steals the film, he’s definitely the most interesting character here for sure. The fight between Lobo & proto Superman was excellent and the standout moment from the film imo.

I loved the relationship between Clark and Jonn, that was well done.

Rudy Jones been a good guy who was changed forever in a moment made for a refreshing take on that character.

I loved the designs for the most part, everyone looked good (although I still don’t like that belt on Superman) and this was a nice change to previous DC Animated films. Although I wasn’t keen on Parasites final look, he reminded me of a giant purple Parademon from the New 52 animated movies.

The first half of the movie right up to the final act I really enjoyed but then came my issues. Two of which were two big issues:

First one was how it ended, it really lacked a punch imo. Especially the way the Parasite bit the dust, afterwards I was thinking you may aswell have let him do that. I really was waiting for Superman to get that lightbulb moment to finish Parasite but no he just absorbs a load of nuclear energy and turns to dust. What?

The second big issue, where the F was the score? There were moments with some nice pieces that homaged Superman the Movie & Man of Steel but overall there were moments where there wasn’t any score at all and then moments where there was but it’s like it didn’t hit the right notes.

Another issue I had was how little Lois & Lex were used (his heel turn was executed very poorly imo too, it just didn’t feel right). These weren’t major issues mind but I think they could just used both better.

All in all it was decent but I think it could have even better B+

Thanks for mentioning the score... it really caused some lulls and pacing issues for me.

It was almost like they just forgot to score scenes.

Who weren't you on board with?
Mainly Daddario, but Criss was also hit-and-miss for me as well. His performance was good (I liked how he changed the voice in difference circumstances), but his voice just wasn't naturally very Supermanly to me (even for Clark in his 20's), which took me out of it at times. Still, as I said, not deal breakers for me or anything, just not my favorite voices for these characters.

Would you guys say this is better than Superman Unbound? I really like that one.

Would you guys say this is better than Superman Unbound? I really like that one.
I liked the voice cast for Unbound Better, but enjoyed the story and the way the characters were written in this one more.

I’m actually doing a second watch now as I’m reviewing this tonight on my Vidcast.

Thanks for mentioning the score... it really caused some lulls and pacing issues for me.

It was almost like they just forgot to score scenes.

Yeah it was really weird, I felt like they teased a Superman theme aswell but didn’t deliver that until the end credits. Also did you feel like some of the sound effects were lacking?

Different movie styles, I think Unbound is much faster paced in your face whereas this is much slower paced.

Last edited:
I liked it. Certainly wasn't as good as I was hoping or could have been, but enjoyable. I really liked Superman's suit and the voice cast. Something about the story that didn't totally click for me though.

Watched it today. It didn’t feel like one cohesive story but instead it felt like 2 or 3 different ones cobbled together for an hour and a half. It felt kind of rushed. The voice acting was ok but I think I liked the voices from past Superman movies better. Overall it felt like a 6.5/10 for me.

I found the movie to be very enjoyable and the voice acting wasn't great but it's still adequate. I loved the design of Parasite as it made him more menacing and a genuine threat to Superman. Lobo was fun and I hope we will see this version of the character in future movies. I thought they rused Clark's evolution into being Superman but still I found him to be extremely likable and heroic. I'm glad they didn't make Clark cynical of humanity but decided to those traits to Martian Manhunter as it makes sense that MM would feel that. I'm glad they used Martian Manhunter again as in the last decade he's taken a backseat and it was cool that his bond with Superman made him a optimist.

It seems like they want to do future movies set in this universe as we see a picture of Batman along with the fact Lobo mentions that a few Martians and Kyptonians are still around.

This movie wasn't perfect as both Lex and Lois were underutilised and it could have been given a extra 30-45 minutes as the ending felt rushed. But this is kind of story that I want in a live action Superman movie and overall I will give this a 7/10. If you're a Superman fan who hasn't been happy with the way he's been portrayed in the Zack Snyder movies then you will like this movie.

Just watched it, it was decent but it could've been so much better.

Things I liked:

- Clark's personality and characterization were well done, he was a likable optimist, which is a breath of fresh air from Snyder's mopey, emo, nihilist Superman that the general public rejected.

- J'onn was well portrayed and his inclusion really served the story well.

- The action scene with Lobo was well done.

- A very Godzilla-esque looking Parasite was a real threat and the character's always been one of my favorites and has always been underused, so it was nice to see Rudy get some love.

- The voice cast was solid overall, especially Qunito's lex.

Things I didn't like:

- While they got Clark's personlity right I don't for the life of me get why writers never write him smart, you can power him down and I have no problem with it but don't ignore the fact that for just about 50 years (up until the Byrne revamp) Superman was meant to be a highly intelligent character and used to solve problems with his brain as much as with his brawn. I miss those days!
Honestly Lex's presence in this movie only served to highlight the fact that Superman is intellectually lacking and I wish they would've omitted Luthor and allowed Superman to show some smarts.

- Like Lex, Lobo's presence served no purpose apart form giving Superman someone to throw down with.

- Lois was underdeveloped and at times was unlikable and manipulative.

- The animation left much to be desired, not the style mind you, but at times it seemed like the animators couldn't be bothered or maybe they were rushed, who knows.

Again, decent overall but unlike Donner's Superman or STAS or Vs the Elite or Death of Superman, this isn't the Superman I'd show to someone to try and convince them to give the character a shot.

Movie was way better than I expected.
This was a packed cast, and everyone had there place. Even parasite. Zachary Quinto was a great Lex Lutor.
I'm amazed that they wrote Lobo in a way that didn't feel forced. And the realization that Lobo, Clark, and Jon shared a similar back story was quite a cool bonding moment.

Just finished watching the film, honestly this was a solid Superman film that proves in the right hands its possible to make a modern era version without losing the ingredients and characteristics of the Hero.

Seriously why can the live action filmmaker s get this on point.

I just watched it. I liked the story and voice acting. Animation... It just doesn't work. It looks cheap as hell at times.

I have to say I was disappointed, which is a shame because I thought the trailer looked incredible.

The only things I thought worked overall were the animation (when they bothered, this is kind of fluidity adn expressiveness blows most of the other DC Animated movies out of the water) and the acting (I thought everyone did well).

The rest though? The story is rushed, the direction is morose and lacks energy and momentum more often than not, half of the characters are underutilized... It was a bit of a mess, if I'm being honest. This should have been a longer movie and also needed better editing.

For me, the movie was decent. It was Max Landis meets Mark Waid, because it felt very much like American Alien meets Birthright. If you can picture that, then you know what you're getting into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"