Derrickson to step down; who should direct?

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' started by Speed Force, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

How about Edgar Wright if they want it ready in time for Phase 10?

2. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

:huh: What's that got to do with anything?

3. Silvermoth Avenger

heh I think marvel have still not forgiven him for the ant man situation plus the feeling is probably mutual. I like how you’re thinking though because I think the reason Scott got the chop was because he wanted full horror and marvel said no. So think like, commercial friendly horror I guess.

I think marvel are thinking more rob letterman (goosebumps, detective pikachu) for this sort of thing

4. MovieSlave Registered

Everything! :D

5. Yellow Cyclone Pessimist

HELL no. king of monsters was a complete dumpster fire of a mess

Everett Ross likes this.
  6. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

They could've done something like Buffy, which would be more commercially friendly, rather than full-on horror. Not sure what Derrickson had in mind exactly.

7. PrehistoricDog Futurism

James Wan would be a fantastic pick but he's busy with Aquaman 2. Mike Flanagan, Michael Dougherty and Christopher Landon would be great picks.

It'd be hilarious if Marvel were to steal Andy Muschietti from The Flash.

8. Silvermoth Avenger

Imagine if they got Sam Raimi. He did drop that doctor strange Easter egg in Spider-Man 2

NotNickFury likes this.
  9. samsnee Ok

It’s a shame we probably won’t get someone that will really excite the crowd. At this point, they will just want someone who is capable enough since production is starting soon. No director with a clear vision or style will want the job. It will be another Peyton Reed.

Dr Strange got a real boost from the last two Avengers movies and I’d like to see them expand on that.

Blackman likes this.
  10. Moridin Death Contagious Deity

It'll have to be pushed back. Marvel have enough experience at this point to know they won't get anyone good enough to do what's needed on such short notice.

With Ant Man, that was one of their smallest productions, and it was fairly inconsequential to the overall MCU.

DSMOM sounds like a big production, and one that seems important to the future of the MCU. You can't hand that to another Peyton Reed.

My pipedream choice is still Alex Garland, but I'd also be very down with Drew Goddard.

Eh, I thought the Endless was really mediocre.

Unlikely considering Derricksons tweet about release dates being the enemy of art was only a few weeks ago.

11. Silvermoth Avenger

I don’t know, I reckon marvel would have a list of good directors on call who are probably pitching as we speak. Guess we’ll find out soon

12. Albright Registered

I don‘t see why a director with artsy horror movies like Ari Aster, Jordan Peele or Eggers is needed.
    What makes Hereditary, the Witch and Get out so great is the suspense of the unkown.
    In a big production like Multiverse of Madness you need the to see a colorful Multiverse and the scary threat in the first third of the movie and still keep it interesting for another 1,5 hours...nothing in which those directors are experienced.

I throw in Dexter Fletcher. He replaced Bryan Singer pretty late during the filming of Bohemian Rhapsody and did a remarkable job. He knows how to work with what already exists and get the best out of it.
    Also Rocketman was oretty good.

#137 Albright, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  13. NEXUS 6 Registered

I’d like to see Tarsem Singh take a crack at it. He struggles with scripts but has an amazing visual sense; this script seems done and Feige has control of the narrative anyways, just let him go nuts putting the multiverse together.

upload_2020-1-14_20-17-42.png

upload_2020-1-14_20-20-12.jpeg

upload_2020-1-14_20-21-54.jpeg

upload_2020-1-14_20-22-52.jpeg

upload_2020-1-14_20-8-53.jpeg upload_2020-1-14_20-9-50.png upload_2020-1-14_20-11-17.png upload_2020-1-14_20-11-40.png

RockSP likes this.
  14. RockSP MYTH SMITH ˆž∞!!!

What movie is the first set of pics from? I'd totally forgotten that J-Lo movie until seeing the next set of pics...don't even remember the name, lol. That's the only movie of hers I ever paid to see.

15. Albright Registered

LOL same to me - the Cell

RockSP likes this.
  16. thangaran Registered

Tarsem Singh would be visually incredibly interesting but he doesn’t have good story sense.

What about Doug Liman or Joseph Kosinski? Fresher cooler choices could be Matt Bettinelli-Olpin or Mike Flanagan

17. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

That would be too long.

18. Chris B Registered

Given the ties to WandaVision, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought in Jac Schaeffer or Matt Shakman. Granted neither one has much in the way of any major directing experience but neither did the Russos.

19. Speed Force Goober

20. -JKR- Registered

You probably mean Edgar Wright has not forgiven Marvel Studios.

21. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

They got an actual director this time!!! Yes!!! Very happy about this. :applaud

I now want to hear how this movie wasn't going to weird or creepy enough. Because you know, Scott Derrickson meets that standard compared to Sami!!!

Also I wonder who Bruce Campbell is going to play... Shuma!!! :mrk:

[​IMG]

#146 DarthSkywalker, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Snow Queen and Zarex like this.
  22. Zarex Registered

I was disappointed with Derrickson leaving, and figured Marvel Studios would be going the journeyman route for his replacement. But I never thought they would get Raimi to take on another Ditko creation. He would be absolutely fantastic.

Silvermoth, Doctor Jones and Kuwolski like this.
  23. Darkprime Registered

Makes you think. Maybe there is something to those live action spider-verse rumors after all.

24. Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

Also, think of all the fun he'll have with the multiverse aspect.

Zarex likes this.
  25. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Considering all the possibilities, Raimi is probably the best option on such short notice. Have to wonder if he had much of relationship with Feige beforehand (Feige was an associate and executive producer on Raimi's Spider-Man films) and if that influenced him potentially taking the job.