Doctor Strange has found a director

I truly hate the "my friends say X" test. It means absolutely nothing, and doesn't speak for the populace.

All my friends said they love Spider-Fan. It will crush them when I inform them their love is spurned. :(

God knows what they'll do afterwards.

Christopher Nolan also talked about how he was thinking of being done with Batman after THE DARK KNIGHT, but they got him back for a third film too. And Whedon said he wasn't sure if he'd be back for this 2nd film. A lot of the time it's just posturing to work towards negotiating a better deal.

With Avengers though Whedon has a lot more work to do than Nolan did with his TDK films, i'd guess thats why Whedon maybe done and why that rumour may come to fruition. Though I hope not, I love Whedon personally. Just hope they let him off the leash a bit more in future.

Disagree. IRON MAN 3 was, for me, the best solo film since the first IRON MAN film at the time of its release. And yes, it had its haters, but the gonzo box office would suggest it had plenty of fans too.

Funnily enough I liked IM3 when I 1st watched it, but every viewing since has just gone downhill, I personally think IM3 and TDW are 2 of the poorer Marvel movies, so thats why for me phase 2 has been a big disappointment. Thankfully TWS was excellent and hopefully GOTG is too.

You must be hanging out with the wrong people then, as everyone I know who follows films, even the ones not remotely into comics, are drooling with anticipation over GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. For many it seems to tick all the right STAR WARS buttons.

Well thats good, I am a huge Marvel cosmic fan, so GOTG is probably my most anticipated MCU movie ever, even more so than Avengers 2.

I truly hate the "my friends say X" test. It means absolutely nothing, and doesn't speak for the populace.

:huh: I never said it did speak for everyone, just the people I know. I am trying to convince them to go see it but non of them like the look of it. Its not as if I was using that statement to bash the movie either, just that I hope the marketing gears up soon to let people like my brother and his friends know what the movie is about.

It wouldnt be a shock to learn many other people feel the same as the trailers havent really explained what its all about. From a fan point of view I have loved the trailers personally though.

:huh: I never said it did speak for everyone, just the people I know. I am trying to convince them to go see it but non of them like the look of it. Its not as if I was using that statement to bash the movie either, just that I hope the marketing gears up soon to let people like my brother and his friends know what the movie is about.

It wouldnt be a shock to learn many other people feel the same as the trailers havent really explained what its all about. From a fan point of view I have loved the trailers personally though.

I didn't say you said that you spoke for everyone, but you were using your friend's opinions as a way to gage overall interest in the project, and my point is no matter what anyone's group of friends say or how they feel, it isn't a good sample size to infer anything.

Just a personal observation on some of the stuff going on above, but I feel that Joss Whedon has become so integral to and popular for his oversight within the MCU that I don't believe the dude is going anywhere for a long time. He has reached a level of importance in the oversight, at least in my mind, that is 2nd only to Stan Lee's in the success of these stories coming alive. I for one welcome our new benevolent overlord, may his reign be long and may his enemies be eaten alive by fireflies.

I didn't say you said that you spoke for everyone, but you were using your friend's opinions as a way to gage overall interest in the project, and my point is no matter what anyone's group of friends say or how they feel, it isn't a good sample size to infer anything.

:huh: Again, I wasnt using their insights to gauge world-wide interest in the project. I merely suggested if they feel that way, as casual movie fans, some more of the GA might feel the same, hence why I said I hope they pick up with the marketing soon.

Just a personal observation on some of the stuff going on above, but I feel that Joss Whedon has become so integral to and popular for his oversight within the MCU that I don't believe the dude is going anywhere for a long time. He has reached a level of importance in the oversight, at least in my mind, that is 2nd only to Stan Lee's in the success of these stories coming alive. I for one welcome our new benevolent overlord, may his reign be long and may his enemies be eaten alive by fireflies.

:up: I hope so, I love Whedon. The only reason for him to leave the MCU and me to be happy about it would be do another series of Firefly or a Serenity 2.

Otherwise I will be extremely sad the day he leaves.

All my friends said they love Spider-Fan. It will crush them when I inform them their love is spurned. :(

God knows what they'll do afterwards.

Now I'll know who is behind the Spider-Fan sucks FB pahe when it comes :oldrazz:

I've never seen this guys work but I am a fan of the Doctor. I hope it turns out well so I'll be watching how this shapes up.

I think Feige deserves a lot of the credit people give Whedon.

I hated Feige in the early going, particularly his handling of TIH and how he treated the negotiations with Norton for a possible return to The Avengers.

Since that time he's kind've won me over with his vision and how things have panned out.

Only if he keeps his beard from the hunger game. In fact, I demand he keep it for all movies for the rest of his career :o

I hope they go with a Asian or middle eastern guy for the good doctor.

I hated Feige in the early going, particularly his handling of TIH and how he treated the negotiations with Norton for a possible return to The Avengers.

Since that time he's kind've won me over with his vision and how things have panned out.

Agreed - he's done a great job steering the ship. I feel that Guardians of the Galaxy is very much "his" project, so I will target some blame on him if it ends up being a Marvel mis-step.

All told, though, the guy has been doing a great job with quality of product.

Only if he keeps his beard from the hunger game. In fact, I demand he keep it for all movies for the rest of his career :o

That was quite a beard... Like a hipster lost control of himself. Seriously though, Bentley has been through the ringer over the past 10 years, and tactless it may be, that some of that **** could really feed some of the backstory elements - arrogant dude, over confident, loses his skills, future seems ruined, manages to redeem himself...

Worked for RDJ...

JoBlo has some quotes from Scott Derrickson up. Nothing much, obviously, but some really nice things Derrickson had to say about getting the Strange (heh, puns!) gig:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusive-scott-derrickson-talks-doctor-strange-and-fan-reaction-176

The guy is, apparently, a pretty big Strange fan, and seems really passionate about it, which I think is a big thing for the project. His involvement is getting me pretty stoked about it. Also… he looks like he could be related to James Gunn, LOL!

I do like Derrickson's comments about the Doc Strange movie he has in mind. I didnt like his appointment but I hope he manages to pull off a good movie.

He sounds a lot like the Russos talking about Captain America and James Gunn talking about GoTG, so I'm very optimistic.

I dig how Marvel's hiring people who are so eager to work on their projects. You get a real sense of passion and excitement right off the bat (particularly in Phase 2 I feel like) with these new movies. Of course Marvel can get a bit overbearing with their directors as we've seen in the past, and I'm bummed as hell over Wright's departure from Ant-Man, but I really hope Derrickson and Marvel can pull off the Sorcerer Supreme. Besides the X-Men, he's probably my favorite Marvel character (him and Daredevil), and I hope he can become the next big thing for Marvel as they sorta move away from RDJ and Iron Man.

Well, in theory, a director or writer or actor who is passionate about the character is going to be a better fit with the Marvel Studios system. After all, they are passionate about a character that arose from the comic book system, so *presumably* they'd be more understanding about that same system being applied to a movie instead ( "You don't get a complete say in what happens, because the character is bigger than you; its bigger than any of us" ). Plus, you know, simple geeking out of the opportunity being its own payout.

Granted, its not a guarantee. Edgar Wright was apparently a big fan, after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"