Doctor Strange has found a director

But they HAD made You, Me and Dupree. :oldrazz:

Fair enough.

Ok, it looks like Rock Sexton was right and you're just looking to troll. Have fun with that but do it on someone elses time, ok? I don't have the patience for it.

Well anyone who agrees with Rock is someone I dont want to talk too anyway, so no loss for either of us there.

And if you knew me you would know Rock wasnt right about me trolling. This director certainly isnt in the mould of Whedon, Branagh, Johnston Gunn, Black and even Edgar Wright for me though, he's more akin to Alan Taylor who basically got his movie taken off of him by Marvel. Call me a troll but I just dont like the decisions Marvel are making lately. If i'm a troll for that so be it, go and live in Rock's world were Marvel can do no wrong and if you criticise them you arent a fan.

drstrange92011212.jpeg

My pick

Would be a dream come true! Unfortunately it seems to be too much of a dream to actually become true. :(

True, but the Russo's werent as well known and hadnt made the TDTESS re-make.

Because he has made 2 decent films you think that means he isnt a yes man? The guy has never had a big hit, so if Marvel wants to order him around they can, and they will, they simply dont learn their lessons it seems as they did to Thor 2 what they did to TIH and IM2.

James Gunn, Whedon, Russo's(before Avengers), Shane Black didnt hav any big box office hits either. Even Favreau and Branagh had modest success at the box office.

Derrickson is right in line with the kind of guys Marvel goes for. Your argumnt doesnt hold water

There's plenty of things to criticize MS for but the ones based on unsubstantiated rumored ones friggin laughable.

Because he has made 2 decent films you think that means he isnt a yes man? The guy has never had a big hit, so if Marvel wants to order him around they can, and they will, they simply dont learn their lessons it seems as they did to Thor 2 what they did to TIH and IM2.

Have you examined Marvel's directing list? They don't hire people with extensive success. Favs last film prior to Iron Man was Zathura. Branagh never made a big hit before Thor. Shane Black made 1 movie prior to IM3. Alan Taylor was best known for a TV show. As were the Russos, and even Whedon. Whedon had made 1 film that bombed at the BO prior to Avengers. James Gunn hasn't exactly made big films up to GotG. Probably the most experienced director with the most success they hired in their tenure at the time was Joe Jonhston for TFA, and they hired him basically due to the era the film took place.

None of the people on this list are exactly people in a position to make demands from Marvel. But, outside of reports on 3 films (if we include the Edgar Wright Ant-Man situation) then Marvel has mostly let directors do their own thing. I see no reason to think Dr. Strange won't be given that level of respect. His filmography and experience is VERY in line with their previous decisions, and their films mostly turn out good. I think it is way too early to call this guy a yes man. For every TDW or IM2 situation you name me, I raise you TWS, Avengers, IM1, IM3, Thor, GotG, etc.

Ok, it looks like Rock Sexton was right and you're just looking to troll. Have fun with that but do it on someone elses time, ok? I don't have the patience for it.

Hahaha. Ya, he never gives up. Didn't you get the memo that Disney/Marvel is only looking for "Yes Men" even though they made movies with Shane Black and the ever-eccentric James Gunn. It's funny that he can actually rationalize the argument in his own mind.

Call me a troll but I just dont like the decisions Marvel are making lately. If i'm a troll for that so be it, go and live in Rock's world were Marvel can do no wrong and if you criticise them you arent a fan.

There you go again with that imaginary argument. You seem to equate not rushing to judgement as a form of homerism. That's because you're Captain Know-it-all living in a world where you know the end game before one iota of a movie has been filmed.

I don't even have to defend myself though, I have criticisms of various things in the MCU. You just fixate on the times I defend this movie universe from your blatant cynism. You want a very different brand of film and you hold it against them as if it's the world standard.

Last edited:
Have you examined Marvel's directing list? They don't hire people with extensive success. Favs last film prior to Iron Man was Zathura. Branagh never made a big hit before Thor. Shane Black made 1 movie prior to IM3. Alan Taylor was best known for a TV show. As were the Russos, and even Whedon. Whedon had made 1 film that bombed at the BO prior to Avengers. James Gunn hasn't exactly made big films up to GotG. Probably the most experienced director with the most success they hired in their tenure at the time was Joe Jonhston for TFA, and they hired him basically due to the era the film took place.

None of the people on this list are exactly people in a position to make demands from Marvel. But, outside of reports on 3 films (if we include the Edgar Wright Ant-Man situation) then Marvel has mostly let directors do their own thing. I see no reason to think Dr. Strange won't be given that level of respect. His filmography and experience is VERY in line with their previous decisions, and their films mostly turn out good. I think it is way too early to call this guy a yes man. For every TDW or IM2 situation you name me, I raise you TWS, Avengers, IM1, IM3, Thor, GotG, etc.

Marvel is showing that they don't need the big name director to put together quality films, particularly where everything is cohesively connected.

I suspect that, if anything, Marvel Studios benefits from *avoiding* auteur directors.

I would say Branagh, Black, Favreau, Whedon, Letterier, Gunn, Wright and Johnston were all more well known and in a better position than Derrickson is though. All had either extensive writing, TV or movie work and sometimes all 3. I'd say they all had more pull than Derrickson will have on his movie.

I agree non of them had any real hits, unless you count some of Black's and Whedon's writing credits or the critical response to the movies of those 2 and Wright made, maybe even Favreau with Elf. Either way to me Derrickson isnt in the same vein as those guys, but more in line with Taylor and, yes, The Russo's.

Are you forgetting about TIH as well? TIH, TDW and IM2 are the ones they are most known for meddling in, and they are the worst 3 they have made, and then this crap with Ant-Man happens, it doesnt exactly breed confidence that they learn from their mistakes, for me anyway. I thought TWS was a turning point from the drabness that had been phase 2 before that, I just hope that remains the case.

Hahaha. Ya, he never gives up. Didn't you get the memo that Disney/Marvel is only looking for "Yes Men" even though they made movies with Shane Black and the ever-eccentric James Gunn. It's funny that he can actually rationalize the argument in his own mind.

Oh yeah, i'm sure Gunn and Black had TOTAL freedom on their movies, even though Black's effort was pretty much a standard MCU movie other than a couple of things.

And there you go with the hypocrism again, I dont give up, but yet you spend pages and pages of multiple threads defending Marvel from anyone who dares criticise ANYTHING they do.

There you go again with that imaginary argument. You seem to equate not rushing to judgement as a form of homerism. That's because you're Captain Know-it-all living in a world where you know the end game before one iota of a movie has been filmed.

You really should change your name to Rock hypocrite, because this was the EXACT thing you did with TDW when you were defending the movie from people who had WATCHED the movie when you hadnt. You were arguing with them about criticisms they had with the movie when they had seen it and you HAD NOT. Get out of that little bubble world you live in and you will realise you do the EXACT same things you criticise other people for.

I remember also a guy who had seen TDW when you hadnt criticising the movie and because he had a Spiderman themed username to defend TDW you started criticising the Spiderman movies when they had NOTHING to do with the conversation. It was ridiculous.

And I am not the one who has called people DC Lovers because they dont like MCU movies either. You deny it and then said in the Ant-Man thread to JMC he must be a DC guy because he liked the Nolan movies so much (which isnt true, he didnt love TDKR at all) and doesnt like the MCU movies (which again isnt true, he has criticisms just like the other people whose throats you jump down).

I don't even have to defend myself though, I have criticisms of various things in the MCU. You just fixate on the times I defend this movie universe from your blatant cynism. You want a very different brand of film and you hold it against them as if it's the world standard.

Because you defend the universe to death, any slight criticism you jump down peoples throats, if people dare have criticisms I go into every thread KNOWING you will be there defending them. I cant help thinking your sudden change of mind on TDW is just because you dont want people to call you out for loving Marvel, especially given how vehemently you defended it when it came out.

To you criticising something means you arent a fan. I LOVED DOFP, yet I was just in the thread criticising something, I mustnt be a fan!

And lets face it, I am far from the only person who has pointed out your over zealous defence of all things MCU.

Last edited:
You love it.

But serious where the hell u been?

Got all sworn in as an attorney in Cali and went vacationing in Yosemite with spotty wifi and no phone service. I was off the grid yo! Right in time for the whole Ant-Man kerfluffle, but that seems to have been resolved. Still though... I'm staying away from that forum for a bit.

I did manage to post one measly little thing after finding out that Derrickson's directing this. I like the guy quite a bit. LOVED Emily Rose. Movie still gives me the creeps just thinking about it. That scene where she sees demons everywhere? *shudders*

Now, onto the casting ;)

out of all the rumors i like leto the most he is an out of the box choice who more than has the range and acting chops

but with his music career it seems like a pipe dream as he would never sign up to multiple film deal

Got all sworn in as an attorney in Cali and went vacationing in Yosemite with spotty wifi and no phone service. I was off the grid yo! Right in time for the whole Ant-Man kerfluffle, but that seems to have been resolved. Still though... I'm staying away from that forum for a bit.

I did manage to post one measly little thing after finding out that Derrickson's directing this. I like the guy quite a bit. LOVED Emily Rose. Movie still gives me the creeps just thinking about it. That scene where she sees demons everywhere? *shudders*

Now, onto the casting ;)

Congrats on being sworn in Suzanne. I tried my hand at getting into law school. The "games" section on the LSAT kept kicking my arse both times I took it. I loved the essay section, reasoning, and comprehension stuff though.

Got all sworn in as an attorney in Cali and went vacationing in Yosemite with spotty wifi and no phone service.

Sounds liek awful anti-nerd stuff. hope it's out your system :p

also happy you survived deadly scorpion fights that every Californian must endure!

Anyway, welcome back! You were missed!

out of all the rumors i like leto the most he is an out of the box choice who more than has the range and acting chops

but with his music career it seems like a pipe dream as he would never sign up to multiple film deal

I never even thought about his music aspirations. Yeah, seems like a multi-picture contract might be a stretch for him.

Rock & Aveit, you both need to can the namecalling and mudslinging. Like, yesterday.

As for ACTUAL discussion points, I think you're being way too negative Aveit. The director just got hired. It is way too early to start panicing over the "Marvel Method" before any actual production work or filming are done. When we start hearing rumblings like IM2 and TDW had prior to release, then come back to us and start the meddling card. Until then, I think your concerns are unfounded.

RE Marvel's general attitude towards hiring directors: I think for the most part they have a good eye. They don't choose big heavy-hitter directors with mega blockbuster smashes or Oscar darlings under their belt, but for those avidly into film, most of the directors they choose are certainly known commodities, who have established cult followings by working within a certain genre or developing a certain trademark style. Though here are exceptions, more often than not they'll bring a director onboard and any familiarity with that director gives you an idea of what this film might end up being like. I don't see some grand trend towards them moving away from talented directors or avoiding people with style and vision. If anything I'd put the output of Whedon, Black and Gunn above that of Favreau, Johnston and Branagh, which would suggest a movement TOWARDS quality directors rather than away from it. What happened with Edgar a Wright seems more a misstep than a sign of a growing trend.

RE the hiring of Scott Derrickson... while I don't think The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister are GREAT films, they're both very good. I might not put Derrickson up there with a Gunn or a Whedon, but he's certainly competent, and is establishing a body of work and a following. Though I didn't see Sinister until after he was announced as director for this film, I was already aware of him as being up there with the likes of Ti West and James Wan as part of the new movement of aspiring "horror auteurs." Like with the other director announcements Marvel has got right, him being linked to this film creates an image in our heads of what kind of influences Doctor Strange may draw from.

Congrats on being sworn in Suzanne. I tried my hand at getting into law school. The "games" section on the LSAT kept kicking my arse both times I took it. I loved the essay section, reasoning, and comprehension stuff though.

Sounds liek awful anti-nerd stuff. hope it's out your system :p

also happy you survived deadly scorpion fights that every Californian must endure!

Anyway, welcome back! You were missed!

Aw shucks, guys! Thanks :)

I'm not even sure how I endured the LSAT so long ago. The CA Bar Exam though? That was the worst experience I've ever sat through in my entire life! I am thrilled I will never have to take it again!

RE Marvel's general attitude towards hiring directors: I think for the most part they have a good eye. They don't choose big heavy-hitter directors with mega blockbuster smashes or Oscar darlings under their belt, but for those avidly into film, most of the directors they choose are certainly known commodities, who have established cult followings by working within a certain genre or developing a certain trademark style. Though here are exceptions, more often than not they'll bring a director onboard and any familiarity with that director gives you an idea of what this film might end up being like. I don't see some grand trend towards them moving away from talented directors or avoiding people with style and vision. If anything I'd put the output of Whedon, Black and Gunn above that of Favreau, Johnston and Branagh, which would suggest a movement TOWARDS quality directors rather than away from it. What happened with Edgar a Wright seems more a misstep than a sign of a growing trend.

RE the hiring of Scott Derrickson... while I don't think The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Sinister are GREAT films, they're both very good. I might not put Derrickson up there with a Gunn or a Whedon, but he's certainly competent, and is establishing a body of work and a following. Though I didn't see Sinister until after he was announced as director for this film, I was already aware of him as being up there with the likes of Ti West and James Wan as part of the new movement of aspiring "horror auteurs." Like with the other director announcements Marvel has got right, him being linked to this film creates an image in our heads of what kind of influences Doctor Strange may draw from.

Yeah. I really like what Derrickson's hiring says about the direction Marvel's going with STRANGE. Derrickson's made some promising films, and he's also made a stinker or two - I had no idea that he did the DTESS remake. It certainly points to the idea that Marvel wants to continue their practice diversifying the comic book movie genre and going the horror route with STRANGE is a very unpredictable choice, for me at least. Which is getting me a little more excited about the project. Way more than I was before.

Rock & Aveit, you both need to can the namecalling and mudslinging. Like, yesterday.

I didnt do ANY name calling in my posts, thats the other guys speciality. I very rarely name call on here.

As for ACTUAL discussion points, I think you're being way too negative Aveit. The director just got hired. It is way too early to start panicing over the "Marvel Method" before any actual production work or filming are done. When we start hearing rumblings like IM2 and TDW had prior to release, then come back to us and start the meddling card. Until then, I think your concerns are unfounded.

Even after all the crap that just happened with Edgar Wright? My worry is Marvel doesnt seem to learn from its mistakes, and the hiring of this guy as director of one of their biggest new properties just screams of Marvel wanting someone they can control to me.

The fact is I cant help but be negative with Marvel, the way TDW went was a joke, and this was after TIH and IM2 had already happened. Phase 3 isnt off to the best start with Wright leaving Ant-Man and his replacement left a lot to be desired. I will probably still see it as I see every CBM movie, but right now my anticipation for Ant-Man is way down.

I didnt do ANY name calling in my posts, thats the other guys speciality. I very rarely name call on here.

Even after all the crap that just happened with Edgar Wright? My worry is Marvel doesnt seem to learn from its mistakes, and the hiring of this guy as director of one of their biggest new properties just screams of Marvel wanting someone they can control to me.

The fact is I cant help but be negative with Marvel, the way TDW went was a joke, and this was after TIH and IM2 had already happened. Phase 3 isnt off to the best start with Wright leaving Ant-Man and his replacement left a lot to be desired. I will probably still see it as I see every CBM movie, but right now my anticipation for Ant-Man is way down.

So you're going to ignore TWS, which was excellent, and focus on just what happened on TDW? I'm sorry man, I think that is a poor mentality. Especially when James Gunn also hasn't had any issues with Marvel, either. So, that makes TWS, GotG, and AoU without issue. 3 out of 4. Bad way of looking at things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"