Discussion: Guns, The Second Amendment, NRA - Part II

It's next to nothing.

Reform the filibuster and elect more Democrats and better things are possible.

It's next to nothing.

From a strictly strategic perspective, the map lays out well for the senate Dems in 2022, but without the house, it would be foolhardy do anything about the filibuster. What was so disheartening about 2020 were some losses that could easily have been wins. 2 of those probably gets you what you need to eliminate the filibuster and proceed to add states (3 of them) which would give you more of a fair distribution in the upper house.

Also, double or triple the size of the House.

It's surprising they even got that much from the Republicans and it's still no guarantee it's going to pass.

Cache of weapons, explosives found after Warren house explosion – Macomb Daily

Authorities said Liburdi, 38, was under federal investigation for firearms violations at the time of the Saturday afternoon blast at his home, where he lived alone with his dog on the 20700 block of Gentner Street, in the Eight Mile and Schoenherr roads area.

Police believe an illegal operation was being run out of the house.

After the explosion, officers executed a search warrant of the residence and found one dozen rifles, handguns, loaded AR-style magazines, small explosive devices, and 4,000 rounds of ammunition among other materials in the house.

What the TSA could teach Congress about gun control

Mike DeWine wants to make Ohio schools safer by making it easier for teachers to have guns in the classroom. The law he signed makes classrooms safer by reducing the amount of training needed to have a gun in the class from about 700 hours to 4 hours of actual gun training plus 20 hours for first aid training, history of school shooting, and training on how to reunify students with the parents in case of an "emergency". So........if I'm a parent in Ohio, I know I'm feeling a lot better about having my child in a class with an armed teacher who has successfully completed their 4 hour course.........

If I am a parent in Ohio, I am looking for another state to move to so my children are safer.

Mike DeWine wants to make Ohio schools safer by making it easier for teachers to have guns in the classroom. The law he signed makes classrooms safer by reducing the amount of training needed to have a gun in the class from about 700 hours to 4 hours of actual gun training plus 20 hours for first aid training, history of school shooting, and training on how to reunify students with the parents in case of an "emergency". So........if I'm a parent in Ohio, I know I'm feeling a lot better about having my child in a class with an armed teacher who has successfully completed their 4 hour course.........
Wow let's not learn our lesson and create more irresponsible and ignorant gun owners.

It's next to nothing.

It is nothing. Because I am willing to bet, at least one of the Republicans are going to pull out last minute. Just like Lucy and the football.

It is nothing. Because I am willing to bet, at least one of the Republicans are going to pull out last minute. Just like Lucy and the football.
I don't see that happening. If something like that were to happen, it would likely have a significant negative effect on the mid-terms for republicans. The fact that none of them have elections this year is telling. I think McConnell gave it his stamp of approval, but am not clear about those details. The fact that the Dems didn't push for more knowing they have a political advantage on this issue concerns me more than this deal falling apart.

EDIT: You might be right......I just heard Cornyn waffle. If they do, it's going to bite them.

Like I said, lucy and the football.
We'll see......in any case, it would be a huge liability for the repubs in the mid-terms to pull out of this. The dems have the political advantage here.

We'll see......in any case, it would be a huge liability for the repubs in the mid-terms to pull out of this. The dems have the political advantage here.

Do they? Because I don't remember them being hurt by blocking gun control after Sandy Hook.

The party out of power always* has the electoral advantage over the power in power according to historical trends. That's why Rs don't have to GAF this year about anything they get buoyed anyway.

* 93% of the time since 1840

Do they? Because I don't remember them being hurt by blocking gun control after Sandy Hook.
IMO, it is a political liability for them if they are seen as the ones blocking a modest gun law proposal. Most people favor the elimination of ARs, let alone just this middling bill. I'm not saying it will turn the mid-terms, but it will definitely hurt them. They wouldn't even be trying to work on this if it wasn't because they sure as bad place don't care about public safety.

The party out of power always* has the electoral advantage over the power in power according to historical trends. That's why Rs don't have to GAF this year about anything they get buoyed anyway.

* 93% of the time since 1840
There is a first time for everything and Republicans can just as easily squander their advantage as Democrats do every single time they get one.

There is a first time for everything and Republicans can just as easily squander their advantage as Democrats do every single time they get one.
Yeah. The little things add up and one of the little things is that the Republicans are tending towards nominating candidates who are even crazier than the center of the party.. This is one factor that could mess with them. Primaries are different than general elections. Trump means a lot in the former and less, much less, and the latter

NY Times - Gun Sellers’ Message to Americans: Man Up
The number of firearms in the U.S. is outpacing the country’s population, as an emboldened gun industry and its allies target buyers with rhetoric of fear, machismo and defiance.

It's no wonder mass shooters are when gun culture and culture* in general pushes toxic masculinity to sell as many weapons as possible.

* particularly straight white male supremacy culture that calls itself conservative or Republican

They only want media headlines to sow false impressions and to delay their opposition as much as possible, not actual changes. It's the same playbook Manchin operates from.

Democrats need to make Republicans feel some political pain for giving criminals unlimited weapons. There should be ads in every district of the relationship between gun makers, Republican lawmakers the gun makers fund, and the criminals that use them and make them money.

Last edited:
NY Times - Gun Sellers’ Message to Americans: Man Up
The number of firearms in the U.S. is outpacing the country’s population, as an emboldened gun industry and its allies target buyers with rhetoric of fear, machismo and defiance.

It's no wonder mass shooters are when gun culture and culture* in general pushes toxic masculinity to sell as many weapons as possible.

* particularly straight white male supremacy culture that calls itself conservative or Republican

They only want media headlines to sow false impressions and to delay their opposition as much as possible, not actual changes. It's the same playbook Manchin operates from.

Democrats need to make Republicans feel some political pain for giving criminals unlimited weapons. There should be ads in every district of the relationship between gun makers, Republican lawmakers the gun makers fund, and the criminals that use them and make them money.

Agreed. Seriously. :(

You aren't a man (or woman) until you own enough guns to stop a small army.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"