Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
This, like every other time the draft has been attempted to be reinstated in the past few years (by Democrats each time), is just something the Dems do so that they can go on saying "Look! Things are so bad in Iraq that people are trying to reinstate the draft! Be very afraid!!! Ohhhhhh"

He doesn't want the draft reinstated. He wants the knowledge of the draft trying to be reinstated to help scare more people onto his side.

The draft is not going to happen anytime soon. If they were really hurting so badly for more troops, my roommate would've been enlisted 4 months ago when he first started trying to get in, rather than STILL going through the process of trying to get in.

Even if it did pass,i doubt anyone would actually go.But i did hear that Canada doesnt allow any deserters to seek shelter in their country anymore for these sort of things.

as a member of the US Navy I hope to dear god that a draft is not passed....I'd rather have people with me who want to be there

And you guys were worried about the Republicans doing this????????

man_smiling.jpg

man-laughing.jpg
comedy_listings_152_203x152.jpg

laugh.gif

LOVE THOSE DEMS!!!

celldog said:
And you guys were worried about the Republicans doing this????????

LOVE THOSE DEMS!!!

So one Dem is an A-hole, that doesn't amke his views party policy. When David Duke was a member of the GOP, did that mean everyone in the gOP was a racist back then?

This is idiotic of Rangel...few days after getting back in power and now chairing your new committee, you want these headlines over a publicity stunt? I get what Rangel is saying, but use some tact.

I think people are missing the point. Rangel isn't saying that we should use the draft for Iraq, he is saying certain law makers, Bush for example, would think twice about abusing his authority if Jenna and Barbara Bush were to be drafted. He is saying if the draft were reinstated, you bet your ass we would be out of Iraq in no time and leaving the rest of the world the hell alone.

Since I'm within the age limit of being drafted, this scares me, but there is no chance in hell it will happen.

The Overlord said:
So one Dem is an A-hole, that doesn't amke his views party policy. When David Duke was a member of the GOP, did that mean everyone in the gOP was a racist back then?
Well, they were all racists, but it wasn't just because of David Duke.

I understand what he's saying, Matt's right. if the draft is reinstated, there'd be millions of people that don't want to get drafted. no one wants a military pissed off at themselves, so it will keep lawmakers from going to war. it's a nice ideal, and a clever way to solve the problem, but I just think he's going about it the wrong way. it could potentially cause more harm that good. it's not always the US that causes war. ok, yah, sometimes... but not ALL the time. if there actually was an emergency, they'd have to draft people, and we'd have an unhappy army, and canada would get a few more citizens.

Prodigy said:
I understand what he's saying, Matt's right. if the draft is reinstated, there'd be millions of people that don't want to get drafted. no one wants a military pissed off at themselves, so it will keep lawmakers from going to war. it's a nice ideal, and a clever way to solve the problem, but I just think he's going about it the wrong way. it could potentially cause more harm that good. it's not always the US that causes war. ok, yah, sometimes... but not ALL the time. if there actually was an emergency, they'd have to draft people, and we'd have an unhappy army, and canada would get a few more citizens.

In theory, I actually agree with him. If there is a World War 2-like crisis, than maybe everyone should do their part and join up. Plus it would keep law makers in line.

I mean, I'll go if drafted. I might use an air-horn and become deaf.

JOKING.

I don't believe in a draft unless we really need one - which is not the case right now.

But I do believe in mandatory service. I believe all capable people should be required to serve a single term in either the military or in some other "public service" type position, whether it be as a police officer, fire fighter, social worker, school teacher, whatever. People should be required to give a little something back to their country.

My two cents.

lazur said:
I don't believe in a draft unless we really need one - which is not the case right now.

But I do believe in mandatory service. I believe all capable people should be required to serve a single term in either the military or in some other "public service" type position, whether it be as a police officer, fire fighter, social worker, school teacher, whatever. People should be required to give a little something back to their country.

My two cents.
kitty%20laughing-thumb.bmp

lazur said:

My two cents.

I'm sorry, my head is about to explode due to confusion/frustration.

I posted a blog on MySpace about this...

This is not exactly what I was hoping for as far as the first "big" initiative brought forth by any Democrat since the takeover. Apparently he's tried this before unsuccesfully so here's hoping it'll happen this time too. Seems to me he doesn't have enough support which is a good thing. And stats have certainly shown that the majority of Americans are against the draft. I think it's understandable that I care about this so much, even if it turns out to just be a pipe dream for Rangel, because I'm of the age when people get drafted. There is no way in hell I'd kill or be killed for any cause no matter how noble. Yes, I'm that much of a pacifict. And besides, the army wouldn't want somebody like me. I also don't think the government should be allowed to force people to fight. Along these lines, I definitely felt a sense of entrapment when I had to sign that selective service thing when I got my new driver's license when I turned 18. But I think the most interesting aspect of Rangel's desire to bring back the draft is that he views it as a tool to prevent future wars. He says that Bush would never have entered a war like this if the draft existed. This seems like a pretty ass-backwards way of looking at things...and it also reduces human beings to mere numbers. I think a better army is an all-volunteer army. They are there by choice and are willing and able to do what's needed of them. I know it depends on the person but it seems to me that the majority of draftees would not be like this. This may not be the best analogy but I don't want to do homework but I have to. But maybe I've worded this wrong because I don't mean to make it sound like every soldier likes to kill. That's definitely not the case. I guess what I mean to say is that everybody will most likely do a better job with something they choose to do as opposed to something that's forced upon them. But, as I gather it, the military is strained and somewhat starved for more troops as this war goes on so that's what makes this call for a draft more appealing to some law-makers. This just in: Pelosi won't support Rangel's proposal. Rangel has also said that the draft wouldn't necessarily mean that people would be sent to the front lines. They might take supporting roles. That may be true but that's not a sure thing. He also said that a couple years of service is the best thing for us young people. Here's my answer to that: Don't assume you know what's best for me, jackass. This isn't the '50s anymore.

Just goes to show you, Democrat or Republican, a politician is a politician is a jackass.

As for the draft, I'd refuse to serve. I don't believe in fighting other people's battles for them or fighting for something as trivial as a "nation" or land.

Funny how Americans are always so willing to support a war, but most of the same people are against a draft because it would hit close to home.

A nation of chickenhawks. Anybody who say America is becoming like Rome is doing Rome a disservice.

Rangel is insane. To make him a commitee chair, which he will become in the next Congress, is an insane move. The man cannot keep his mouth shut.

jono11 said:
Funny how Americans are always so willing to support a war, but most of the same people are against a draft because it would hit close to home.

A nation of chickenhawks. Anybody who say America is becoming like Rome is doing Rome a disservice.
[FONT=&quot]I would fight and die for my country. Being forced to fight and die for my country is a very different thing. I have plenty of relatives in the service, they chose to be there. I thought about joining after 9/11 but I believe I'm unfit to serve as I have medical issues I believe would make me unreliable. But if I felt I was needed and could go I would go, so do us both a favor and keep your assumptions to yourself.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"