Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang, I wished that Mark Warner would run in 2008. :csad:
He was pretty good.

cb48026 said:
I hope Warner remains in the public eye and takes a shot at the Presidency in 2012/2016.

Well, he can be governor of Virginia again. I believe in Virginia you can have two terms, but they cannot be consecutive (that is kind of stupid)...but if he serves as governor again following his Lt. Governor's term (which he could probably win easily)...then he could run again. If he stays out of politics, I doubt he will ever pursue the presidency.

I just hope he doesn't run for Senate. He seems too good for the Senate.

Matt said:
Well, he can be governor of Virginia again. I believe in Virginia you can have two terms, but they cannot be consecutive (that is kind of stupid)...but if he serves as governor again following his Lt. Governor's term (which he could probably win easily)...then he could run again. If he stays out of politics, I doubt he will ever pursue the presidency.

I just hope he doesn't run for Senate. He seems too good for the Senate.

At least running for Governor again would give him more political experience.

cb48026 said:
At least running for Governor again would give him more political experience.

Could also make for a debacle.

Hey Matt, what are your thoughts on Evan Bayh? He was the Governor and now Senator of Indiana. Like Warner he may be able to compete in a few Red States.

An influential Democratic lawmaker on Sunday called for reinstatement of the draft as a way to boost U.S. troop levels and draw a broader section of the population into the military or public service.

U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel (news, bio, voting record), the incoming chairman of the House of Representatives' tax-writing committee, said he would introduce legislation to reinstate the draft as soon as the new, Democratic-controlled Congress convenes in January.

Asked on CBS' "Face the Nation" if he was still serious about the proposal for a universal draft he raised a couple of years ago, he said, "You bet your life. Underscore serious."

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to
Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," he said.

Rangel, who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, also said he did not think the United States would have invaded Iraq if the children of members of Congress were sent to fight. He has said the U.S. fighting force is comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

"I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft. I think to do so is hypocritical," he said.

The New York Democrat had introduced legislation to reinstate the draft in January 2003 before the Iraq invasion. The
Pentagon has said the all-volunteer army is working well and there is no need for a draft, and the idea had no traction in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats gained control of both the House and Senate for the first time in 12 years in the November 7 election, and a wholesale change in the leadership of Congress is to be made in January. Rangel is to head the House Ways and Means Committee, which is charged with U.S. tax and trade legislation.

The draft was in place from 1948 to 1973, when the United States converted to an all-volunteer army. But almost all men living in the United States - including most male noncitizens - are required to register with the Selective Service upon reaching 18, and federal benefits, including financial aid for college studies, are contingent on registration.

Rangel said his legislation on the draft would also offer the alternative of a couple of years of public service with educational benefits.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061119/pl_nm/usa_politics_draft_dc

Rangel is a ****tard. He also said that raising taxes were a top priority for him.

canada here i come. hopefully me having sickle cell trait and being a fatass will get me out of that BS.

Darthphere said:
Rangel is a ****tard. He also said that raising taxes were a top priority for him.
Well lowering taxes at a time of war was pretty ******ed in the first place.

It will never pass, so who cares.

Superman said:
It will never pass, so who cares.

Exactly. Every year someone tries to pass that law and it never passes. Especially now since since if it did pass it'll turn Iraq into the new Vietnam.

:woot:

My eyes keep me out so I'm exempt if it's reinstated.

I don't care.

I hope the do reinstate the draft. It's the only way to wake people up.

Not happening. Rangel is an ass even if he's only doing this to make a point. He's only going to end up hurting his party with things like this.

It'll never happen. I'm surprised the Democrat leadership hasn't pimp slapped Rangel for this already, actually.

jag

with support for the Iraq war so low, how could it ever be passed? who wants an army where at least half the people don't support what they are doing and don't want to be there.

Darthphere said:
Imagine having to make some money to pay off a huge debt. It's like, unheard of, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"