Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think popular vote is the way to go

Let 1 vote in San Fransisco = 1 vote in Columbus = 1 vote in some small rural town in Alabama.

As it stands now only 1 vote of the 3 I mentioned means anything

Then in that case, you need to get rid of the electoral college altogether, not divide the electoral votes up by district. Dividing by district shifts the power to one party.

It gives more power to rural districts over urban ones due to the fact less people are usually in the rural districts. Rural districts generally vote Republican. Going by the way the house was split, Romney would have 234 districts compared to 201 for Obama, there then would be whatever is left over divided amongst the 2 candidates which would most likely mean Romney wins even though in popular vote he has 3.5% less votes. Given Obama won 26 states and Romney 24, Obama would probably end up with close to 257 electoral votes while Romney would end up with 282(of coarse this goes under the assumption both candidates win all the congressional districts their party won in house races, that being said I don't see that big a swing in house house races change compared to the general election results in that district)

I think Ohio is the perfect example of how bad going by congressional district can be. Although Obama won the vote by a couple percentage Romney won 12 districts, while Obama won 4, if you factor in the 2 extra votes going to Obama because he won the popular vote in Ohio that means although more people voted for Obama he would lose the state 12-6.

Pennsylvania is another state that would look real bad. Although Obama won by 5% if you split it up by district Romney would win 13 to 5, with the 2 extra electoral votes going to Obama since he won the state overall. That would be 13-7 for Romney

Basically going by districts would make the already bad process of gerrymandering even worse.

Last edited:
From the way that Romney was derided by his own party member after the election for his gift comment, I wonder if he will become the black sheep of GOP later on.

Not so much black sheep, but just a footnote. He's not progressive enough or conservative enough to play a role in the ideological renewal of the party in either direction, and he doesn't really have an organizational profile that can help any future candidate (Mass. and Utah are strategically irrelevant for the Republicans for different reasons).

The most he can do is become a corporate fundraiser for the party in the background, but whether he'd want to do that much work for a party that did a fair bit to screw around with his presidential campaign is a big question. If I were Romney I'd just turn my back on the Republican Party and just enjoy the rest of my life.

From the way that Romney was derided by his own party member after the election for his gift comment, I wonder if he will become the black sheep of GOP later on.

I thought that George Bush Sr. was the black sheep of the Republican party for raising taxes.

Oh, you mean Peter Griffin.

I was all, "What the hell does Melanie Griffith's dad have to do with anything."

Because if we gave an electoral vote to each district, the GOP would dominate the Electoral College for quite sometime. There's a reason why the GOP kept the House, it's because it's been set up now to favor them for at least the next decade.

This is the Right Winger who said Romney was going to win and got every poll analysis he did wrong.

Yeah, I'll believe him now. :whatever:

Well theyre like addicts. You can only cure being the process of getting better once you admit you have a problem. Right now alot of the right wingers are in denial about the way the world really is.

They Can't except that : they ran a flip flopping politican who people could never really trust, that the demogaphic make up of the electorate makes it harder for them to appeal to biggots and racists, that their message didn't grab enough votes to make a difference in several swing states , that voters didn't forget about the 47% comments and probably didn't buy Romney's apology, that denying polls won't bring about the opposite result of the polls, that the Obama campaign beat them on the ground game, and that one debate didn't guarentee Romney's election to the Presidency.

Probably the BIGGEST mistake that the Romney campaign made the news media did not even pick up on.....wow, I guess it wasn't entertaining enough for them....

Apparently at the Republican Convention the Romney campaign got some rules put through and others changed that pretty much gave the "campaign" whomever it will be in the future, the ability to write the platform, not a committee made up of voted on delegates....this pissed off the grassroots organizations A LOT..... probably enough that they shut down on him in the swing states LIKE Ohio...their delegates were furious...

Couple this with out of date polling systems that poll mostly older, white folks, in rural areas because they have land lines.....put it all together and you have a campaign that THOUGHT it was doing well in these states, but they were not polling key demographics like they should have, and then they pissed off their base and kaboom goes the campaign.

BTW, those rules are now in place and the next Republican presidential campaign can totally write the platform if they want......

Probably the BIGGEST mistake that the Romney campaign made the news media did not even pick up on.....wow, I guess it wasn't entertaining enough for them....

Apparently at the Republican Convention the Romney campaign got some rules put through and others changed that pretty much gave the "campaign" whomever it will be in the future, the ability to write the platform, not a committee made up of voted on delegates....this pissed off the grassroots organizations A LOT..... probably enough that they shut down on him in the swing states LIKE Ohio...their delegates were furious...

Couple this with out of date polling systems that poll mostly older, white folks, in rural areas because they have land lines.....put it all together and you have a campaign that THOUGHT it was doing well in these states, but they were not polling key demographics like they should have, and then they pissed off their base and kaboom goes the campaign.

BTW, those rules are now in place and the next Republican presidential campaign can totally write the platform if they want......

It was like Romney, John Boehner, and Reince Priebus
tumblr_lzsuf5ui6p1qe8vzf.gif

went out of their way to kick Ron Paul supporters in the teeth. I'm sure a nice chuck of Ron Paul supporters didn't even show up to vote on election day.

Ron Paul, Supporters OPENLY CHEATED by RNC on National Television
[YT]y-bE8Pr8r9s[/YT]

Reince Priebus Mocks Ron Paul
[YT]UrHeTQrinwQ[/YT]

The Daily Show: Michael Steele Former RNC Chairman Rips The RNC Over Treatment of Ron Paul
[YT]2MPcTWCoBTM[/YT]

Last edited:
It wasn't just the Ron Paul people that were mad, it was some of the major backers that were being left out as well...the diehard Republicans were being taken out of the equation. This wasn't a Libertarian side vs. Right Wing side of the party problem....this was a Romney people vs. Right Wing grass roots problem. These changes will not actually take place until 2016....none of them were put in place for 2012. They were stacking the deck for the next election...

they were not polling key demographics like they should have

I think the theory was that minorities in 2008 came out in a higher percentage then normal(ie alot of first time voters) and less would show up(ie many of those first time voters just wouldn't come back a second time) since the novelty of Obama would have worn out and their was probably a high amount of not being satisfied he didn't do enough in his first term to help them.

What I don't think was factored was all these ID laws that were created to try stop some of these people from voting or causing them hassles to vote(ie take all the time and money to get an ID) was a rally cry for many minorities who may not have been happy with Obama, but sure as hell weren't going to let the other side try go out of their way to disenfranchise their right to vote.

Probably the best thing that happened to Obama re-election bid was that 2010 election when we get a bunch of Republicans and tea Party types who basically got elected everywhere in both state and federal races who went out of their way to try enact all these over the top voter id, abortion and union busting laws. It basically was a rally cry for some in the Democratic base(minorities, single women and union types) who in many cases didn't have much to rally about otherwise due to the lack of attention they received during the four years of Obama being president(especially the first 2 years). I actually do think many of these bases might not have bothered to show up in such high numbers if the Republicans didn't go out of their way and try light a fire under their butt

Last edited:
Yeah, not to gloat or anything (honest) But in 2010, I pretty much figured this would happen, the Republicans and Tea-Partiers got all full of themselves, with alll the apparent gains they had made, and I predicted that they would, as I put it back then, "shoot themselves in the foot" by the time this presidential election came around. They got over-confident and thought they could do no wrong. Always a mistake.

Last edited:

I knew the Ron Paul people were ticked...

They were already ticked because he wasn't asked to speak...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjYj9mXElO_QdHpla01oWE1jOFZRbnhJZkZpVFNKeVE#gid=19

It's official now, Romney got 47% of the popular vote(although some votes still need to be counted but most in democrat strongholds like NY and California)

It should be pointed out, their is an outside shot Romney gets more votes then Bush did in 2004(he needs 1.6M more votes) which should ruin another Republican talking point(ie first it was he didn't get as many votes as McCain but he went over that last week, now how do you explain him getting the most votes of any Republican candidate ever before it was he wasn't popular enough)

Last edited:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjYj9mXElO_QdHpla01oWE1jOFZRbnhJZkZpVFNKeVE#gid=19

It's official now, Romney got 47% of the popular vote(although some votes still need to be counted but most in democrat strongholds like NY and California)

It should be pointed out, their is an outside shot Romney gets more votes then Bush did in 2004(he needs 1.6M more votes) which should ruin another Republican talking point(ie first it was he didn't get as many votes as McCain but he went over that last week, now how do you explain him getting the most votes of any Republican candidate ever before it was he wasn't popular enough)
Romney in a sad way, was the Republican's last best chance. Demographic wise it's over. It's time to kill/destroy/vaporize the Republican party.

We as a country need the Republican party, but we need it to be changed and updated. A dissolved GOP would leave the Democrats unopposed. The Dems would also move quickly to squash any new party that would attempt to challenge them. We need more political parties, not fewer.

Actually in that (incredibly implausible) scenario, the Democratic party would fracture. The only thing keeping the groups that make up the Democratic party together is the Republican Party.

The same is true for the Republican party.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"