Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of our problems would be solved if we treated politicians who took bribes like China does.

...when half the party believes that the McCain ticket lost because 'McCain wasn't Republican enough' it's going to put the party into civil war.

The Republican Party is having an identity crisis. Moderate vs. Religious Right. If the Republican Party wants to grow again, they need to break the Religious Right's stranglehold.

I think it's more a leadership problem. My perception was always that W didn't really get on that well with others in the party and cut down anyone who tried to oppose him leaving a vacuum of power once he rode off into the sunset.

(Queue Norman to talk up Mitt.........):oldrazz:

Bush was well liked by the outsiders; but he burn bridges with the insiders... Dick Cheney and the Republican Establishment.

...when half the party believes that the McCain ticket lost because 'McCain wasn't Republican enough'

Well this is true for the most part. Not being who they were suppose to be for 8 years is what cost them. Its kind of sad that the slightly paranoid and sometimes outlandish Ron Paul is the closest to what a Republican is suppose to look like.

You can hear every "r" she speaks....if anything she adds "r"s that aren't there....

You want to hear "southern" ya gotta come to the deep South, Tennessee and Kentucky is a twang, twang isn't Southern....

ooops, I thought I was just editing my other post....

"redneck" is not a southern draw, or even a dialect, its a word describing people....as is hillbilly....doesn't mean that their speech is "suthun"...so to speak....

Let's just refer to it as a "rural" accent on the dialect. I was speaking with one of my co-workers who is from Venezuela, and he said even though he can speak Spanish fluently, some people from some regions/ countries are really hard to understand.

I always figured there are "Rural" accents/twangs in any language. But living in the states, we get a huge clustertruck of accents & twangs?

Let's just refer to it as a "rural" accent on the dialect. I was speaking with one of my co-workers who is from Venezuela, and he said even though he can speak Spanish fluently, some people from some regions/ countries are really hard to understand.

I always figured there are "Rural" accents/twangs in any language. But living in the states, we get a huge clustertruck of accents & twangs?

Hell in Texas alone you get a "clustertruck" of accents and twangs....so I agree...

When I think "Texas accents" I think of Laura Bush. She has a thick Texas accent IMO.

MCCAIN: WITHOUT HISPANICS, GOP IN 'VERY, VERY DEEP HOLE'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/02/mccain-without-hispanic-v_n_249488.html

Having attempted to put together a voting coalition broad enough to get elected president, Sen. John McCain (R-A.Z.) knows better than any other lawmaker the shortcomings and vulnerabilities of the Republican Party.

So his declaration on Sunday morning that the GOP faced a dire situation unless it did more to bring Hispanic voters into its ranks is likely to be treated as a blaring warning siren, not mere political analysis.

"On the issue of the Hispanic voter, we have to do a lot more. We Republicans have to recruit and elect Hispanics to office," McCain told CNN's State of Union. "And I don't mean just because they're Hispanics, but they represent a big part of the growing population in America. And we have a lot of work to do there. And I am of the belief that unless we reverse the trend of Hispanic voter registration, we have a very, very deep hole that we've got to come out of."

While he was one of only a handful of Republicans willing to tackle immigration reform in 2007, McCain faced a massive deficit with Hispanic voters in the 2008 election. His aides have said that, were he not the home state senator, he would have lost Arizona to Barack Obama, in large part because Hispanics had left the Republican Party in droves.

We're going to have a hard time getting back the hispanic vote.

A lot of them are here ILLEGALLY.

the right thing to do is punish them. Someone steals, you arrest them.
And yet, the government is trying to reward them with healthcare? drivers licenses? and God Forbid it, but most likely soon, Citizenship?

How are we supposed to compete?

It's like making a child choose between two parents.

Parent A makes them eat their vegetables and go to bed at a decent hour, because THEY actually care about the child's future, and doing the right thing.

Parent B gives the kid candy and Coke, lets him stay up late, play video games all day etc.

Which one do you think the kid is going to like more?

Same thing is happening here. If we go and deport all the illegals, treat them the way they SHOULD BE TREATED, do you really think their legal cousins and siblings are going to vote for the Republicans?

Hispanic outreach pretty much is soley responsible, if you look at numbers, for the rise in W. Bush's vote from 2000 election to 2004 election. That extra margin more or less got him his 2nd term. Rove also had a quote early on in the administration that courting more hispanic voters was one of his top and most important priorities for the party overall. McCain had a massive dip in Hispanic support.

That top few percentage points of hispanic voters is pretty much the swing vote.

...and Vitter's comments (once again) point to a problem within the Republican Party. The sooner people like Vitter realize that moderate Republicans are just as Republican as the rest of the party the better.

Some, probably even most moderate Republicans are great. I am a moderate Repubican. But the comments made by THIS moderate Republican were absolutely stupid and DESERVING of criticism. Bashing a particular moderate Republican is NOT the same as bashing ALL moderate Republicans. Bashing Voinovich is well deserved because his comments were stupid. It was the rantings of a bitter politician.

Voinovich has a point. If you look at the red/blue map it bears him out. Without the south there would be no GOP of any size/power at all. And yes I know they are all really shades of purple.
but in electoral context they aren't.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/campaign08/election/uscounties.html

Yup - GOP support is only found in the South. :whatever:

More Republicans believe that Obama was born in Kenya than the U.S. http://politicalwire.com/archives/2..._of_republicans_think_obama_is_a_citizen.html

I wonder if Kos/Research 2000 is using Rasmussen's new methodology?
That if you really,really think he's from Africa then your vote counts twice.

A Daily Kos poll is about as relevant as a Sean Hannity poll. Daily Kos's findings are completely irrelevant because they have an obvious agenda. Unlike Rasmussen they are a polling company second (or third or sixth) and have no credibility outside of the left.

I don't necessarily believe that....

I believe it is time for a strong 3rd party.....will there be one anytime soon...doubtful, until those people like the moderate Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats realize that they ARE STRONG ENOUGH for a 3rd party, and its time to come together and give the people what they want. I think the people of the US have evolved past a 2 party system, and are ready for a viable 3rd party. Unfortunately our government hasn't evolved that far.

Putting any sort of effort into advocating a third party is, in the end, a complete waste of time and effort. The people are not ready for a third party - and the primaries are a perfect example of this. Political change will only happen within the two party system.

I'm just tired of the Republican Party vilifying moderate Republicans.

Some moderate Republicans are deserving of vilification. Colin Powell's advocacy for the GOP to accept the fact people want to pay more to the government for more government services, for example, is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for a Republican leader. His value as a Republican, being significantly less important than his value as an American or hero in any case, is completely worthless now.

I think it's more a leadership problem. My perception was always that W didn't really get on that well with others in the party and cut down anyone who tried to oppose him leaving a vacuum of power once he rode off into the sunset.

(Queue Norman to talk up Mitt.........):oldrazz:

Mitt will ride into Washington on a white horse, maybe even litterally. Obama's own actions seem tailor fit for Romney. His gross misshandling of the Healthcare bill (something that NEEDED to be a bipartisan project) and his misshandling of the economy make for easy Romney fodder.

Obama has exactly one year to change things - one year. If Obama loses the 2010 election, then he will lose 2012. Obama's arrogant treatment of Republicans, and betrayl of his party platform of "Change", has made himself vulerable when he should have been able to navigate his way into a two term Presidency effortlessly. Obama's immaturity, ego, hypocrisy and betrail are what doom him and rightfully so. Democrats have displayed incompetency in two years that it took Republicans a little over four to do - which, to me, causes mixed emotions. While my preference to the GOP gives me some degree of joy in the prospect of their return, I truly believe that in order for this country to be successful, BOTH parties most be successful. Instead of two grand parties duking it out for the hearts (and minds) of the American people, we have two incompetent parties forcing Americans to choose between lesser evils.

Some, probably even most moderate Republicans are great. I am a moderate Repubican. But the comments made by THIS moderate Republican were absolutely stupid and DESERVING of criticism. Bashing a particular moderate Republican is NOT the same as bashing ALL moderate Republicans. Bashing Voinovich is well deserved because his comments were stupid. It was the rantings of a bitter politician.

Some moderate Republicans are deserving of vilification. Colin Powell's advocacy for the GOP to accept the fact people want to pay more to the government for more government services, for example, is COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE for a Republican leader. His value as a Republican, being significantly less important than his value as an American or hero in any case, is completely worthless now.

You cannot deny the the harder right's default argument is that moderate Republicans aren't REAL Republicans. It is that villification that is destroying the party.

You cannot deny the the harder right's default argument is that moderate Republicans aren't REAL Republicans. It is that villification that is destroying the party.

The harder right being the fringe? Absolutely. But the Republican Party - people IN the party, people that matter, no I don't think they accuse moderate Republicans of not being "REAL Republicans".

I have a hard time thinking of an example where a moderate Republican was criticized by a relevant Party member for simply being moderate on a certain issue. Where has a prominant Republican criticized another more moderate Republican for an issue like supporting gay marriage? I don't remember any Republicans attackin Cheney when he voiced his support. When has a prominant Republican criticized another more moderate Republican for being Pro Choice? I know that when rumors of Ridge being a VP candidate - some were concerned about Republican voters acceptance of a Pro Choice VP - but Ridge is held in high regard amongst those in the party.

Where are moderate Republicans being villianized for simply being moderate on non-vital issues?

Republicans that are moderate on issues like spending, size of government and fisical policy DESERVE some criticism, however, because the parties purpose in this country should be based on that line. But non-essential issues, most namely social issues, there is plenty of room for non-hardliners.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/campaign08/election/uscounties.html

Yup - GOP support is only found in the South. :whatever:

that's not what I said quit twisting my words to fit your agenda -Hobo

A Daily Kos poll is about as relevant as a Sean Hannity poll. Daily Kos's findings are completely irrelevant because they have an obvious agenda. Unlike Rasmussen they are a polling company second (or third or sixth) and have no credibility outside of the left.

research 2000 is a polling company like Rasmussen. They were commissioned by Daily Kos. and while they don't get the press Rasmussen gets. they also don't give people more than one vote if they really,really like or dislike something. they don't weigh "intensity" like the recent Rasmussen presidential approval polling.

that's not what I said quit twisting my words to fit your agenda -Hobo

Again, I find your bizarre behavior incredibly interesting. For example, the fact that you feel the need to reference yourself in your own post. Cute. :huh:

research 2000 is a polling company like Rasmussen. They were commissioned by Daily Kos. and while they don't get the press Rasmussen gets. they also don't give people more than one vote if they really,really like or dislike something. they don't weigh "intensity" like the recent Rasmussen presidential approval polling.

They also lack Rasmussen's credibility, accuracy and respect. RealClearPolitics doesn't even use their polling for Presidential races and Presidential approval.

Complaining Rasmussen uses the phrases "Dislike, Strongly Dislike, Like, Strongly Like" is ridiculous as it's a standard polling question used by...well...almost everyone.

Trying to poke holes in Rasmussen's polling because his history and track record is so good. If Rasmussen starts slacking, then your complaints will have a molecule of validity.

Jag seems to have rubbed off on a lot of people around here.

Putting any sort of effort into advocating a third party is, in the end, a complete waste of time and effort. The people are not ready for a third party - and the primaries are a perfect example of this. Political change will only happen within the two party system.

And it is talk like this that will keep it from happening....no change will EVER happen within the two party system, they have been proving this for the past 3 decades.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but having lived through the past 4 decades now, or soon....I've seen the proof first hand, and I see "no" proof that it will change even in your lifetime, certainly not mine.

Yeah Wash Post had an article on it. GOP have their work cut out for them.
The whole Birther thing is backfiring. The protests at the townhalls are turning people away. No one wants to associate with a bunch of crazies.

Picture1.jpg

Louisiana leans democrat? Please.

According to that article, voters identify more with the Democrats in those states than they do the Republican Party. This is not only based on their self-identification, but also voter registration trends in those states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"