Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I've also never met any southerners that Sarah Palin speaks like.

Excuse me? :huh::huh:

I :heart: you Kel. :oldrazz:

You can hear every "r" she speaks....if anything she adds "r"s that aren't there....

You want to hear "southern" ya gotta come to the deep South, Tennessee and Kentucky is a twang, twang isn't Southern....

ooops, I thought I was just editing my other post....

"redneck" is not a southern draw, or even a dialect, its a word describing people....as is hillbilly....doesn't mean that their speech is "suthun"...so to speak....

I have been to Texas. (I have friends that live in your neck of the woods.) I also have family that is from Kentucky and have been there many times.

What I said was that Voinovich had a point when it comes to folksy Republicans being a face of the party. Alot of people hear folksy and think 'what could they possibly know about me'.

What is spoken in different parts of Texas is very different...since its so large and influenced by different dialects...East Texas is very influenced by LA...so its got some cajun "twang" to it....Southern and Central Texas...spanish hispanic.....Northern Texas is a little more "mid-west"

Now, that is for natives...of course you goto a city like Houston where 90% of the population are people that moved there....they will have completely different accents

I :heart: you Kel. :oldrazz:

I have been to Texas. (I have friends that live in your neck of the woods.) I also have family that is from Kentucky and have been there many times.

What I said was that Voinovich had a point when it comes to folksy Republicans being a face of the party. Alot of people hear folksy and think 'what could they possibly know about me'.

:cwink:

I don't consider Texans to have a Southern drawl, we have our own drawl....we pronounce "r", probably longer than the average person. People in the south that have a true Southern drawl, do not.

To generalize the Southern dialect to be spoken by anyone passed the Mason Dixon line is not correct, I think that is what I was trying to say, but didn't quite get there....lol Also, to generalize anyone who is passed the Mason Dixon line as redneck, or hillbilly is extremely false. I'm not saying you generalized that....just a point.

As far as "folksy", in my opinoin, there is nothing negative about that at all......folksy are simply people that enjoy the more simple things in life....family, friends...not alot of hype, not alot of fluff, just good people. Now had he said "redneck" then IMO, it would have been a whole other story.

I think the "folksy" thing was abducted by a part of the Party and twisted to exclude "fake America"

VITTER DEFENDS SOUTHERN INFLUENCE IN GOP, SLAMS VOINOVICH
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...ds-southern-influence-in-gop-slams-voinovich/

Sen. David Vitter of Louisiana slammed fellow Republican George Voinovich Wednesday for saying the GOP's problems stem from the fact that it is "being taken over by Southerners," calling the Ohio senator "a moderate, really wishy-washy."

"I'm on the side of conservatives getting back to core conservative values," Vitter told the Washington Times. "There are a lot of us from the South who hold those values, which I think the party is supposed to be about. We strayed from them in the past few years, and that's why we performed so badly in the national elections."

"[Voinovich is…] a moderate, really wishy-washy," he said.

Voinovich, who has decided not to run for re-election next year, told a newspaper in his home state that Southern dominance of the GOP was hurting the party elsewhere.

"We got too many Jim DeMints and Tom Coburns," Voinovich told the Columbus Dispatch Monday. "It's the Southerners….

:dry:

Yes Mr. Vitter, how dare anyone be a moderate!

What is spoken in different parts of Texas is very different...since its so large and influenced by different dialects...East Texas is very influenced by LA...so its got some cajun "twang" to it....Southern and Central Texas...spanish hispanic.....Northern Texas is a little more "mid-west"

Now, that is for natives...of course you goto a city like Houston where 90% of the population are people that moved there....they will have completely different accents
But nobody says 'dontchya know' and 'you betchya' or pronounce maverick 'mayavrick.'

To be fair, Voinovich's comments were stupid.

...and Vitter's comments (once again) point to a problem within the Republican Party. The sooner people like Vitter realize that moderate Republicans are just as Republican as the rest of the party the better.

TENNESSEE STATE SENATOR RESIGNS FOLLOWING SEX SCANDAL AND EXTORTION ATTEMPT
http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=8194497&page=1

Republican Sen. Paul Stanley had maintained a low profile until his announcement late Tuesday that he was resigning from the state senate effective Aug. 10, after his affair with a 22-year-old intern and a subsequent extortion attempt was revealed to the public.

Stanley, a 47-year-old evangelical Christian with two children, said in his resignation letter that he has "decided to focus my full attention on my family."

"Whatever I stood for and advocated, I still believe to be true," he told Memphis radio station WREC-AM Tuesday. "And just because I fell far short of what God's standard was for me and my wife, doesn't mean that that standard is reduced in the least bit."

He had been engaged in a sexual relationship with intern McKensie Morrison when her boyfriend, Joel Watts, contacted him, according to an affidavit filed in Davidson County by prosecutor Douglas Long.

Today is Arnold Schwarzengger's 62nd birthday...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GOVERNATOR!!!

:yay:

"I'm on the side of conservatives getting back to core conservative values," Vitter told the Washington Times. "There are a lot of us from the South who hold those values, which I think the party is supposed to be about. We strayed from them in the past few years, and that's why we performed so badly in the national elections."

I guess these conservative values he speaks of includes soliciting sex from a prostitute and later asking her to spank him while he wears a diaper. But seriously, he's right, he and many southern Republicans (i.e. Newt Gingrich, Mark Sanford) represent the truest Southern conservative value: It's okay to attack Democrats for cheating on their wives, but its perfectly acceptable for Republicans to cheat and lie and even break the law while doing it, as long as they say they're sorry.

It is sad that the only Northeast Republicans may possibly be Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, and Dick Lugar after the 2010 elections. And those three are always being attacked for their moderate views by the party.

Voinovich has a point. If you look at the red/blue map it bears him out. Without the south there would be no GOP of any size/power at all. And yes I know they are all really shades of purple.
but in electoral context they aren't.

and the Republicans wonder why the perception of the Party is racist, xenphobic, or just plain stupid

^ I read a politico blog on this poll that said by far the highest concentration of Republicans that believe the 'birther' nonsense are:

1) In the deep south
2) Above the age of 60

^ I read a politico blog on this poll that said by far the highest concentration of Republicans that believe the 'birther' nonsense are:

1) In the deep south
2) Above the age of 60

well considering the highest concentration of Republicans is in the south and the avg age of Republicans is pretty high that makes sense.

And that they're cheating man ****es.

That's one that seems to be sticking, lately.

...and Vitter's comments (once again) point to a problem within the Republican Party. The sooner people like Vitter realize that moderate Republicans are just as Republican as the rest of the party the better.

I don't necessarily believe that....

I believe it is time for a strong 3rd party.....will there be one anytime soon...doubtful, until those people like the moderate Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats realize that they ARE STRONG ENOUGH for a 3rd party, and its time to come together and give the people what they want. I think the people of the US have evolved past a 2 party system, and are ready for a viable 3rd party. Unfortunately our government hasn't evolved that far.

I don't necessarily believe that....

I believe it is time for a strong 3rd party.....will there be one anytime soon...doubtful, until those people like the moderate Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats realize that they ARE STRONG ENOUGH for a 3rd party, and its time to come together and give the people what they want. I think the people of the US have evolved past a 2 party system, and are ready for a viable 3rd party. Unfortunately our government hasn't evolved that far.

I'm just tired of the Republican Party vilifying moderate Republicans.

you'd think losing the White House would actually unite the party

...when half the party believes that the McCain ticket lost because 'McCain wasn't Republican enough' it's going to put the party into civil war.

The Republican Party is having an identity crisis. Moderate vs. Religious Right. If the Republican Party wants to grow again, they need to break the Religious Right's stranglehold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"