Discussion: The Supreme Court II

They are going to pitch a (fake) reactionary fit regardless of choice.

They should nominate a libertarian judge as oppose to a progressive or a conservative if you ask me :woot::up:

I believe the highest court in the nation should represent the makeup of the nation. Diversity is a good thing.

As far as Kagan goes, I said in the post you quoted that I'm not sure she is the one for the job. The more I learn about her, the more unsure I am.
Yes, because when imma cheerleading for all the wrong reasons, you know something is fishy :woot:

They should nominate a libertarian judge as oppose to a progressive or a conservative if you ask me :woot::up:

Go all out and nominate an anarchist.

Well, I hope Obama finds the right person for the job. And I hope the right person will be a gay, handicapped, black woman immigrant. Maybe a midget too, just so Beck doesn't have the satisfaction of being fully correct.

IMO the judicial branch should always be liberal and the congressional branch should always be conservative.

*slow clap*

As far as Chase's look at the Branches of government, my dream is the following...

Judicial Branch: Libertarian
Legislative Branch: House (massively conservative)/Senate (Left of Center)
Executive: Someone that does not bow to any of the above.

Just a dream, I know....:csad:

Matt who are we kidding ourselves. You actually think Obama and McCain were the best two choices the entire United States of America has to offer as "THE" President? The notion of meritocracy is foreign to (defacto democratic) politics.

It doesn't exist.

It's mixing the unmixable, like oil with water... good writing and Smallville.... fire and ice... Tom Welling and acting... :cmad: :woot:

Excellent observation............ but we all know you'll be puttin' on your handmade "blur" snuggie and curling up with your microwave popcorn to watch The Fog tonight.......... again.
:woot:

So Kagan's friends are coming out with a bunch of stories about how she dated men in college and likes men to quell the gay rumors....in 2010, how ridiuclous is it that a Supreme Court nominee needs to explain her sexual orientation?

In my opinion, it is beyond ridiculous. It shouldn't matter at all.

Last edited:
Good god, I don't know who is worse, the morons trying to find ways to prove she is gay and the ones want to prove she isn't.

Who gives a **** if she is gay, bi or not.

If this is the Republican's idea of trying to rid of her, they are god damn morons. Do they have some kind of stupid death wish? Progressive Scalia? Helllloooo.

I believe the highest court in the nation should represent the makeup of the nation. Diversity is a good thing.

Diversity is a great thing. I love diversity. That said, I think having the best minds and judges for the highest court of the land trumps what color, religion, or orientation they are. If a bunch of old white men are the best candidates, then the Court ought to be a bunch of old white men. If a bunch of sassy black lesbians are the best candidates, then the court ought to be a bunch of sassy black lesbians.

So Kagan's friends are coming out with a bunch of stories about how she dated men in college and likes men to quell the gay rumors....in 2010, how ridiuclous is it that a Supreme Court nominee needs to explain her sexual orientation?

It works both ways though. Obama shouldn't be actively seeking a homosexual member of the Court. Sadly his search criteria last time included Latino, so I wouldn't be suprised if he went out of his way to find a homosexual, qualifications be damned.

If he was actively seeking a homosexual, wouldn't he have nominated someone who is openly gay?

Not if he is trying to win a few conservative votes on the Judicial Committee. If thats the case it would make perfect sense for her to come out after the fact.

That said, I don't think she is gay. I am simply saying the idea that Obama would seek someone out for strictly superficial reasons would not suprise me as he's already done it once.

But make no mistake, this is not a superficial nomination, it is instead based on cronyism.

Hmm, it is a sad statement though, that everyone assumes a dumpy, unmarried, middle aged woman with short hair who has fought for gay rights MUST be a lesbian.

To conservatives, all you really need to do is be pro-gay marriage to considered gay.

By that logic, Laura Bush is a lesbian.

Actually you really need to listen to exactly what she has said on the issue...

"If people truly are committed to each other, they should enjoy all the rights of married couples..."

She never uses the words "gay marriage" that I have heard or seen, but I could certainly be wrong. I have several Catholic friends who are all for giving homosexuals all of the legal rights that married heterosexual couples have....they have absolutely no problem with that, but they do not want it to be called "marriage"...."civil union" is the term they want used. I have a little feeling that Laura Bush believes the same way.

Didn't George W Bush support "civil unions" as well. I seem to recall this from an electoral debate with John Kerry.

According to the AP, Laura Bush has said that she thinks it's 'great' that Kagan has been nominated because it means three women would be on the high court should Kagan be confirmed.

Didn't George W Bush support "civil unions" as well. I seem to recall this from an electoral debate with John Kerry.

Bush thought civil unions were acceptable.

Actually Kerry also said he thought marriage should remain between a man and a woman but supported civil unions, so there really wasn't much of a difference between Bush and Kerry's views on gay marriage.

Except for Bush getting on his whole kick about amending the Constitution, which I think had more to do with pleasing his conservative Christian base than his actual feelings, considering in 2000 he had said marriage should be left for the states to decide.

According to the AP, Laura Bush has said that she thinks it's 'great' that Kagan has been nominated because it means three women would be on the high court should Kagan be confirmed.

That's such a ridiculous reason to confirm someone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"